• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #104

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon. This time, we're gonig with a classic legendary Pokémon

150.png

Mewtwo used to be unstoppable, but even with the introduction of its counters, it is still one of the best Pokémon around

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/150.shtml

Go nuts

Amaretto

Oooh Mewtwo, my favourite legy and for good reason <3

Calm down, the end will come in a day or another

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Satk/Spd
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Lum Berry
Nature: Timid

-Calm Mind
-Psystrike
-Fire Blast/Thunder
-Recover

Calm Mind to boost its already huge spatk and decent spdef
Psystrike is a cool move, a better Psyshock
Fire Blast in sun, Thunder in rain, your choice
Recover to keep getting boosts

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
Nuke the world
Mewtwo@ChoiceSpecs
4/252/252
Hp/SpA/Spd
-Psystrike
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast

Nature: Modest/Timid
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf
Moveset:
Psystrike
Aura Sphere
Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. ATK/ 252 Spd

NAtures are simple, modest for power, timid for speed. Both hurt attack so there's no loss of natural bulk. Pressure is the only available ability, and it's saved me more than once. Items are for power or speed, your choice (no pun intended). Moves are a good assortment. Psystrike is Mewtwo's signature move, and stronger than Psychic. Aura Sphere is a great move in general, 90 power and doesn't miss. Third slot can have a variety of attacks, in this case the elemental attacks. Thunderbolt for waters and flyers, flamethrower for grass types and steels not named Heatran, and Ice Beam for Dragons. Shadow Ball gets perfect coverage with Aura Sphere, simple really.

Other Options:
Grass Knot: Only if you REALLY want to punish a Groudon.
Solarbeam: Possible I guess, but only in sun.
Thunder: Possible on a rain team or against one, otherwise use T-Bolt
Fire Blast: You can if you want power over accuracy, I'd go with Flamethrower personally.
Blizzard: Possibly useable on a hail team or against one, Ice Beam is still more reliable.
Focus Blast: Why use focus fail when Aura Sphere is available?
Energy Ball: Possible, but it's only a decent move at best.
Thunder Wave: Mewtwo is about offense. I guess you could run it, but you'd have to lose coverage to do so.
Psychic: Use Psystrike, it's stronger.
Psyshock: A weaker Psystrike. Don't use this.

Last edited:

Lucario Fan

Item: Leftovers
Moves: Aura Sphere, Psystrike, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Mewtwo has the Nasty Plot of world domination
Mewtwo @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Timid nature
Ability: Tension / Pressure
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Psystrike
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Aura Sphere

This Mewtwo functions best when baton passed extra Sp.Atk. Psystrike is powerful STAB that hits anything that isn't hit Super effectively hard, with its effect to hit on the physical defence. Pretty much everything that isn't hit super effectively with this set has lower Def than Sp.Def, namely Ho-oh, Kyogre, Reshiram, Chansey, Blissey, (pink blobs fear Psystrike more than Aura Sphere) and Palkia, and it also catches Blaziken, Tentacruel, Terrakion, and Heracross with super-effective damage, as well as hitting Calm Mind Manaphy on the physical defence stat. Ice beam hits Rayquaza, Dragon Arceus, Lati twins, Giratina, Lugia, Groudon, Garchomp, Thundurus, Zekrom, Shaymin-S, and Exeggutor hard, Shadow Ball hits Wobbuffet, Shedinja, Mewtwo, Deoxys, and Ghost Arceus hard whilst Aura Sphere hits Dialga, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Darkrai, Heatran, Kyurem-W, Kyurem-B, Cloyster, and Steel, Normal, and Dark Arceus hard, and achieves perfect neutral coverage together with Shadow Ball.

This set gets so much Super effective coverage it is just downright scary, especially with the ability to switch between moves and the insane speed. It hits almost the entire Uber tier for Super Effective damage. A Timid nature helps Mewtwo outrun Timid Darkrai, Timid/Jolly Arceus, Jolly Shaymin-S, and Jolly scarf Tyranitar. After Stealth Rocks and a single Nasty Plot pass Mewtwo OHKO's almost the entire Uber tier, including Lugia by using Ice Beam, just be aware of Scarfed revenge killers and CB Rayquaza or Attack Deoxys. Only Giratina and Defence Deoxys can hope to survive after Stealth Rock and Nasty Plot.

Tension blocks berry use of the opponents, which means you can hit Rayquaza and Garchomp through their Yache berries for example, but is quite situational, as berries are very uncommon in Ubers. Pressure is on the other hand also not that good for this Mewtwo, as it is designed to outrun and OHKO pretty much everything the foe throws at it before they can even move, and that makes Pressure fairly useless.

Still, this Mewtwo basically does what Mewtwo does best: Special sweeping. With an insane Sp. Atk stat, good Speed, and a ridiculously large special movepool that allows unheard of levels of super effective coverage Mewtwo is the epitome of a fast special sweeper. Whilst it can do other things, Special Sweeping is by far the best thing Mewtwo can do.

Other options: Thunder, Flamethrower
Thunder hits Kyogre hard and hits Lugia a bit harder than Ice Beam would, but if you sacrifice Ice Beam for it you lose a huge amount of super effective coverage, especially Groudon and Rayquaza can take advantage. Thunder also lacks reliability in sun, and doesn't really hit anything else of note.
Flamethrower hits Metagross and Forretress hard, and gets a sun boost, but it doesn't really hit anything else of note, and both can be dealt with decently with Aura Sphere, whilst Grass types are equally hit hard with Ice Beam

A partner is Thundurus, which can use priority Thunder Wave to paralyze all scarfers that could potentially revenge kill Mewtwo. Also, a Sp.Atk passer like Baton Pass Nasty Plot Mew can be useful, as after Mewtwo receives a single Plot boost, it achieves world domination. Stealth Rock layers also help Mewtwo, as with Stealth rock support it can OHKO so much more (especially Lugia, where it cancels Multiscale).

Last edited:

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Well, let's give this one a shot...

Mewtwo. The first "evil" Pokémon, made to be the strongest in the world. And when it first appeared in the days of R/B/Y, it was well worthy of that title. Even with low Attack and Defense, and in spite of the Psychic type being horrendously overpowered, Mewtwo had the highest Special stat in the game, and the moveset to utilise it. Virtually nothing could counter it. However, as the generations went on, Mewtwo got nerfed A LOT. The introduction of Dark and Steel types, the Special stat being split (resulting in a low Special Defence), the introduction of more Pokémon that were just as/even more powerful than Mewtwo and the Psychic type's initial weakness, Bug, getting stronger... Despite this, the super-Mew remained a threat in Ubers. Then Gen V gave it it's own signature move, Psystrike. This attack meant that Mewtwo's old arch-enemy, Blissey, was no longer safe. Despite his fall from grace, Mewtwo is still a very dangerous enemy to face.

Abilities:
Pressure: Mewtwo's normal Ability. It makes enemies use 2 PP instead of 1. Can be useful on defensive sets.
Unnerve: Mewtwo's Hidden Ability, as of yet unreleased. It stops enemies from eating berries. It's useful against Yache Berry-wielding Garchomp, but otherwise situational at best.

"Behold my Power!"
Psystrike
Ice Beam/Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Aura Sphere/Recover/Calm Mind

Probably one of Mewtwo's most dangerous sets. Psystrike takes care of walls like Blissey or Eviolite Chansey and gives STAB, while Ice Beam or Flamethrower provides additional coverage, Flamethrower being useful against the likes of Genesect. Shadow Ball also provides coverage, drawing from Mewtwo's excellent Special Attack, and Aura Sphere stops those pesky Dark and Steel types. Alternatively, Recover can be used to shrug off any damage Mewtwo takes, or Calm Mind can boost Mewtwo's Special Attack to nightmarish levels.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Mewtwo could have made the Mayan apocalypse happen. But no, it didn't
Mewtwo is the original Uber. It is one powerful offensive juggernaut. The stats tell the entire story. 154 special attack and 130 speed as bases is very scary. The addition of Psystrike adds to the amount of damage this thing can deal. The movesets this guy can and will use are kind of obvious, so I won't post any.

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Def / 4 HP
Moveset:
- Recover / Protect
- Calm Mind
- Psystrike
- Aura Sphere

A slightly defensive set which still packs a punch. Def Evs allows Mewtwo to survive some attacks. Protect if you want to lower pokemon's PP a lot thanks to Pressure. Recover if you want more HP. Then Calm Mind makes you more defensive and more powerful. Psystrike with Aura Sphere makes for some good coverage for almost all types.

Mewtwo has returned this generation, even more unstoppable than before. Its new signature move, Psystrike, acts as a more powerful Psyshock, allowing it to 2HKO its formerly biggest enemy, Blissey, as well as the newcomer Chansey, after a boost.. This, coupled with the rest of its excellent movepool, very high Special Attack, blazing speed, and decent defenses make it among the most dangerous and best Pokemon in the game, its only true flaw being its Psychic-typing, which gives it a poor attacking STAB type, and a lack of resistances.

Abilities
Pressure: Good ability, considering most ubers use moves with only 8 pp.
Unnerve: More or less useless. The only times this might be useful is when facing Yache Berry Rayquaza, Salamence, Garchomp, or Occa Berry Genesect or Scizor, which are rare.. Overall, I'd stick with Pressure.

Psycho Killer (Calm Mind)
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psystrike
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere / Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

Simple but deadly is the phrase that describes this set. Psystrike is the main move of this set, 2HKOing the most physically defensive Chansey after a boost and 2HKOing 4/252 Blissey even with a positive nature without a boost. Aura Sphere is preferred in the second slot, as it hits threats such as Dialga, Darkrai, Kyurem's formes, Dark Arceus, and Tyranitar. Fire Blasts however, hits Scizor, Genesect, and Ferrothorn harder while having the same coverage against Steel Arceus and Excadrill. Do note that if using Fire Blast, that Heatran will wall the set. Ice Beam is in the last slot to hit Dragons and Grounds, most notably the Latis twins, who resist all the other moves, and Ground Arceus. Shadow Ball gets better overall neutral coverage, and allows Mewtwo to beat one of its biggest counters, Psychic Arceus.

Other Options
With a movepool that compares the Arceus, Mewtwo does have many other options. It can run a bulky attacking set for use on more defensive teams with max speed and more investment in its defenses. If this is run, it is recommended to have Substitute on the set, so you can avoid status from Chansey and Blissey.
A support set is also viable, as Mewtwo has access to a lot of support moves, such as Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Dual Screens. The only problem with it is that Mewtwo is only slightly more bulky than Rayquaza, who is often considered to be quite frail by uber standards.

Counters
None! It is flat out impossible to safely switch into Mewtwo. The closest thing to a counter is Speicially Defensive Dark Arceus, who can switch into Psystrike, take an Aura Sphere - although it will almost kill it, an KO witha super-effective Payback. Psychic Arceus is in a similar position, but can't take a Shadow Ball, and a sun-fueled Fire Blast will hurt. Choice Scarf Darkrai can also revenge kill it or switch into Psystrike, and OHKO with Dark Pulse if Mewtwo has taken a bit of prior damage. Choice Scarf Genesect is another great revenge killer that OHKOs with Bug Buzz after a Download boost. It can also OHKO it with U-turn after a boost + a bit of prior damage.

Last edited:

Kiyoshi

Veteran Trainer
Mewtwo: I still remember the days when it was the unquestioned best Pokemon ever. As far as I'm concerned, it still is. In the show, Mewtwo proved to be the darkest (first time anyone saw people die in the series) yet the most sympathetic (really, could you blame Mewtwo for wanting to destroy the world given his circumstances?) villain Pokemon's ever had. Mewtwo also holds the distinct honor of being the ONLY villain I've ever shed a tear for. ('Origin of Mewtwo'. Poor Mewtwo, having to watch his only friend die on him, and then being forced to forget he ever knew her... :'( ) In the games, he's unfortunately lost a lot of his former glory. Dark and Steel types were brought in to tame what was then the most feared weapon in the entire game; Mewtwo's STAB Psychic. Still, a 154 Base Special Attack and a 130 Base Speed are to be feared. Sure, KyuremB/W hits harder and Darkrai can keep up without breaking a sweat, but Mewtwo can count on outrunning any non-Scarfed Ice Dragons (or pretty much every Dragon, what with the non-Latis having Speed around the 90's) while still shredding everything in it's path. In short; if you see a Mewtwo, be prepared for a brutal fight.

I wasn't born a Pokémon, I was created; and my creators have used and betrayed me! So, I stand alone!
-Psystrike
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball
-Recover/Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Charge Beam (gimmick option)
Item: Life Orb
EVs and Nature: 4 HP/ 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed. Timid (+ Speed, - Attack)/Modest (+ Special Attack, - Attack)

No attempt to create a funny and hopefully clever pun here, just a straight-up quote from Mewtwo's own mouth describing just what kind of devastation's heading your way. Psychic used to be his most powerful attack, getting STAB and off that very high Base Special Attack...shame it never got much use competitively. But now, Mewtwo has something better, something he's lacked from the beginning; his own signature move. As stated in Heatran's POTW file last Generation, most signature moves tend to be...more gimmick than substance. Not so here; Psystrike hits with a 100 Base Power, equal to an Earthquake on something that doesn't get STAB on it (ex. Haxorus) and has 100 Accuracy. That's win/win in my books, but Mewtwo gets STAB on it...Forget SDGroudon's Earthquake, that's "I wet myself" power, especially with such a massive Special Attack behind it! And it targets the foe's Defense instead of Special Defense, which means Blissy and CMKyogre are going to die trying to stop the original Uber. Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball are for their near-perfect coverage, and the score of Super Effective hits they'll score in the Uber tier. Also, Mewtwo was throwing Shadow Balls around long before they existed; nothing can top that level of coolness. Recover is for recovery (duh). Heal off damage you've taken during your rampage and self-inflicted damage from Life Orb (an easy item to recommend, in this case). There's also something going around the internet about how Psychic and Recover were the only attacks you had to have on Mewtwo. What's that, not concerned about survival? Confident you can get a 6-0 sweep without knocking yourself out from Life Orb's recoil? Alright, alright, I hear you. Ice Beam is here if you really hate Rayquaza, Salamence, and Dragonite (if you ever see the original Dragon in Ubers). Grass Knot is if you must kill Groudon and are confident your other moves can handle everything else. (Aura Sphere slays Tyranitar faster due to a X4 Super Effective hit.) Charge Beam, as stated earlier, is gimmick; that low power won't be making any OHKOs (or any KOs) on it's own, but it'll give you a boost to your Special Attack, making your other moves much stronger. [If someone actually runs this set with Charge Beam in the final slot and wins with this, could you please post to Youtube and notify me?]
Overtyped item is overtyped, as are the Natures by this point. Speaking of Natures, I have to get the following out of my systems. Mewtwo a Timid Pokemon? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
EVs, you know the drill by now.

Other Options: Not many. The above moveset can pretty much destroy any-and-everything that either switches into the wrong move or doesn't resist anything here. Thunder is a good, standard attack that's served Mewtwo well. It just, isn't as important what with Psystrike slaying Kyogre (Thunder's main job) without worrying about Calm Mind. Focus Blast is a worse-in-every-way-except-power Aura Sphere; I don't recommend it, but someone probably will. Flamethrower/Fire Blast are for Ferrothorn, Jirachi (if you can catch it out of Rain) and not much else. Maybe Steel Arceus too, but Aura Sphere works better if it's raining.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
The original ultimate pokemon, now over powered by B. Kyurem, White Kyurem, Deoxys A. And among a few others however they don't really outspeed mewtwo often been waiting for this for awhile

I am legend

Timid
EV's 252 sp.atk, 252 speed, 4 Hp / defense
Item @ leftovers
Psystrike
Shadow Ball
Aura Sphere
Fire Blast
Coverage against almost every pokemon, well actually against everyone

This is what legends speak of

Modest
EV's 252 sp.atk, 252 speed, 4 hp
Item @ Life Orb
Psystrike
Ice Beam
Aura Sphere
Fire Blast / Guard Swap / Taunt
Mainly for coverage, again, guard swap to even out defenses around you, or Taunt to make sure no one can set up before you annihilate everyone

Last edited:

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Ok, guys, I'll be back, but just a notice, you forgot counters for last week, Beartic. And that should be done soon.

Soperman

The One and Only
Mewtwo was the monster of generation one, the closest thing to real be able to call itself a truly uber legendary. Even now, Mewtwo is a sight to behold. With incredible Speed, great bulk, and one of the highest Sp. Atk stats in the game, Mewtwo dominates in any battle. Of course, with pokemon like Giratina and Luia running rampant, not as much, but still. 154 base Sp. Atk is insane. Its ability is the lam Pressure, using up 2 PP for each attack instead of one. it sucks. Anyway, it has a super versatile movepool, giving it incredible coverage. It has access to the strongest Psychic type move out there, second only to Psycho Boost.
Anyway, like I said, it has a great movepool. Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Psystrike, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Energy Ball... You name, Mewtwo learns it. It evem can learn a ton of physical attacks and boasts a very decent Attack stat.
That being said, it doesn't have access to any stat boosting attacks, rendering it useless against the behemoths of Ubers, like Giratina or Lugia, who are just too bulky and can heal.
Overall, Mewtwo is one of my all-time favorites, even though I grew up with Sapphire and Emerald as my first pokemon games. While Mewtwo is no longer as menacing as he used to be with all of the new threats that dominate Ubers, he is still a force to be reckoned with.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
That being said, it doesn't have access to any stat boosting attacks, rendering it useless against the behemoths of Ubers, like Giratina or Lugia, who are just too bulky and can heal.

Actually, Mewtwo gets Calm Mind, Amnesia, and Barrier (though you shouldn't bother with the latter two). In fact, Calm Mind is very popular on Mewtwo.

Mewtwo... Second parts... Stop that belief, Second Parts can be better!
-Psystrike/Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Aura Sphere
-Calm Mind/Electro Ball (old event)/Psystrike/Psychic
Pressure
252 Spe. 252 SAtk. 4 HP
Timid or Modest
Psystrike is even stronger than Psychic, and does the same as Psyshock, but Psychic can be better sometimes. Shadow Ball deals with ghosts and other Psychic types. Aura Sphere for Dark and Steel. Calm Mind raises Sp. Atk. Electro Ball, only obtainable through and old event, gets good coverage and works better with Timid.
Serebii, are my puns bad? Anyway, I'm here for movesets too.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Nature: Modest/Timid
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf
Moveset:
Psystrike
Aura Sphere
Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/ 252 Spd

NAtures are simple, modest for power, timid for speed. Both hurt attack so there's no loss of natural bulk. Pressure is the only available ability, and it's saved me more than once. Items are for power or speed, your choice (no pun intended). Moves are a good assortment. Psystrike is Mewtwo's signature move, and stronger than Psychic. Aura Sphere is a great move in general, 90 power and doesn't miss. Third slot can have a variety of attacks, in this case the elemental attacks. Thunderbolt for waters and flyers, flamethrower for grass types and steels not named Heatran, and Ice Beam for Dragons. Shadow Ball gets perfect coverage with Aura Sphere, simple really.

Other Options:
Grass Knot: Only if you REALLY want to punish a Groudon.
Solarbeam: Possible I guess, but only in sun.
Thunder: Possible on a rain team or against one, otherwise use T-Bolt
Fire Blast: You can if you want power over accuracy, I'd go with Flamethrower personally.
Blizzard: Possibly useable on a hail team or against one, Ice Beam is still more reliable.
Focus Blast: Why use focus fail when Aura Sphere is available?
Energy Ball: Possible, but it's only a decent move at best.
Thunder Wave: Mewtwo is about offense. I guess you could run it, but you'd have to lose coverage to do so.
Psychic: Use Psystrike, it's stronger.
Psyshock: A weaker Psystrike. Don't use this

question. why did you add options just to say "oh don't uswe this"?

Mewtwo @Life Orb
Timid
Pressure
252Hp 4Sp.Atk 252Spe
-Psystrike
-Recover
-Calm Mind
-Aura Sphere

as long as there are no phazers, do whatever de **** you want to. perfect coverage, as sableye and spiritomb aren't used in ubers, and would be crushed if they were.

i'll find a more efficient ev spread later, get off my back.

Other Options:
Energy Ball, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Grass Knot, they are good special moves for coverage, but...
Focus Blast is stronger than Aura Sphere, but accuracy and PP let it down.
Mewtwo can run physical moves, but is far weaker at that, although still alright.
Flamethrower and Solarbeam are options if you, for an odd reason, decide to use Mewtwo in a sunny team.
Thunder for Rain.

Zachmac

Aura Sphere should be the primary steel type coverage move over Flamethrower. While Flamethrower does him more steel types super effectively, Aura Sphere is more reliable if you're not running a sun team, no thanks to the popularity of Kyogre.

Shadow ball probably unwanted. I'm not familiar with the Uber metagame, but from my understanding, the most common ghost weak pokemon are Giritina and Lugia, who both take more damage from Ice Beam.

Mewtwo does know Light Screen and Reflect, and carries a blazing fast speed. Though Deoxys-S does do a better job at this, thanks to the fact that it outruns the entire metagame, Mewtwo does have a massive special attack and much, much better defenses.
Dual Screener
Mewtwo @ Light Clay
Timid/Hasty
252 sp.att/252 speed
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psystrike
-Aura Sphere/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Explosion

Reflect and Light Screen are excellent support moves for offensive teams, and they give set up sweepers much easier times preparing to sweep. Psystrike is Mewtwo's most powerful STAB, while Aura Sphere and Flamethrower can be used for coverage. Ice Beam is viable(I think) since the tier is plagued by dragon types such as Rayquaza, and Explosion is excellent for getting another sweeper in safely.

EVs can be fiddled with to increase it's bulk or attack.

Finally, I have a pretty decent set name for this week.
"Psystrike Gengar Style"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.