1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #105

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

Question. What do you expect us to discuss here? Melmetal isn't out yet in the competitive games. With Mewtwo we still just focused on the USUM capabilities because Let's Go isn't focused on competitive, but Melmetal isn't part of USUM meta.

3. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

There is also the fact that Melmetal is only in Pokémon Let's Go which is currently completely removed from the main series. As such -no abilities, a lot of missing moves, and the full Pokédex can't be used (last one is both a blessing and a curse).

Pros:
    +Massive HP,ATK and DEF stats -135 HP is massive and when factoring in the 145 DEF makes Melmetal very bulky on the physical side and the ATK means it is hitting around the level of most legendaries/Mega Evolutions
    +Resists Stealth Rock -Stealth Rock is the only entry hazard that remains in Let's Go and considering all the moves that would remove it (Defog, Rapid Spin) or Deflect it (Magic Coat, Snatch) are gone, this will become valuable.
    +Steel Typing -As one of the few Steel types in the game, Melmetal benefits greatly from the typing (other steels are Magnemite, Magneton Alolan Dugtrio, Alolan Sandshrew, Alolan Sandslash) giving it a myriad of resistances
    +Few Recovery moves -Not a direct benefit for Melmetal itself, since it likely would have only gotten rest in the main games, but removing Wish, Slack Off, Synthesis, Moonlight, and Morning Sun means any damage Melmetal deals is going to stick for the most part

Cons
    -Poor SATK, SDEF and SPE -80 SATK is barely usable, 65 SDEF is a large achilles heel, and 34 SPE means that Melmetal will almost always be taking the first hit
    -No Trick Room -As Trick Room does not exist in Let's Go, Melmetal loses a valuable option for mitigating it's poor speed.
    -No Speed boosting moves -Melmetal's only option for slowing down opponents or speeding up is Thunder Wave, and at 34 SPE, that is simply not sufficient for most targets

Punch and Forget
    Melmetal
    -Double Iron Bash
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Thunderpunch
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SDEF

Standard sweeper set. Double Iron Bash is a decent two hit STAB, albeit with its low speed, you'll almost never see the flinch effect in competitive play. Earthquake is earthquake (great powerful coverage), hitting most Fire and all Steel types. BoltBeam Punches round out the set, giving Melmetal the ability to hit every target in the game neutrally as well as providing coverage against Water, Flying, and Dragon types.

Other Options
    -Thunder Wave -Paralysis Rocks
    -Toxic/Rest -Melmetal can pull off a Tank set, but tanking is very weak in Let's Go (there's no Sleep Talk)
    -Brick Break -Fighting provides decent coverage and is worth consideration.

4. ericgall23

ericgall23 Pokémon Fan

Maybe there has to be a connection from Let's go to Sun/Moon, with Pokemon Bank! If not, Melmetal wouldn'have an ability.

By the way, I was searching the net, and is there really a connection with Pokémon Bank and Let's Go? I really hope so, coz people pay for that service, right? so the company should, and must, make it compatible! or else, let's go is not interesting at all... just like the era between Gen 2 and Gen 3 many years ago. It really was sad...

Melmetal and Meltan sure seems to be very interesting Pokemon, but like all people say, if it isn't playable in Sun/Moon, why making a Potw for it?

Have a good week everyone! ;)

5. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

[​IMG]

Background Information!
    Mel... Melmetal? Serebii is already doing this one? Okey dokey. Well here's some interesting background information. Melmetal is the Hex Nut Pokemon that was long revered for its capacity to create iron from nothing. It has now returned, never been seen for over 3000 years. What's interesting about Melmetal is that he is a Pokemon inspired by the scientific properties of the unusual metal, Mercury. Similar to how Meltan is a liquidy metal Pokemon that changes form as it eats more solid metals as depicted in the trailers to become the much more solid heavy-hitter Melmetal, mercury is a substance that is always liquid at room temperatures. It can only be solid if it is frozen or if it is combined with other solid metals. Thus we have Melmetal! Also another interesting and somewhat hilarious fact about it's pre-evolution Meltan was that it had mixed reception for it's simplistic design among the Pokemon community, some thinking it was a product of Gen 7's "declined" quality in designing Pokemon, which personally I think is the opposite but different opinions as usual. What the Pokemon community at the time didn't realized was that Meltan's simple design was intentional in order to keep up with Gen 1's simplistically designed themed Pokemon.

Theoretical USUM set

Melmetal - Defensive
    Melmetal
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Nature: Sassy (+SpD/-Spe)
    EVs: 252 Spd/252 HP
    Double Iron Bash
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Thunderpunch

Melmetal - Offensive
    Melmetal
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk/-Spe)
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 ATK
    Double Iron Bash
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Thunderpunch

Melmetal may look like a complicated Pokemon to work with but once you look at his stats and movesets, it's actually pretty simple, potentially becoming a tanky bruiser/revenge killer. If anything much of his moveslots will be fulfilled for type-coverage and little else. With Iron Fist, Melmetal gets a boost to it's already decent attack + punching moves. Actually looking at it now, Melmetal is basically just Steel-type Rhypherior. Rock Polish was such a huge missed opportunity but oh well, another Pokemon's Trick Room will have to work with his Double Iron Bash's flinching effect if this was theoretically USUM. Other than that, he's basically Steel-type Rhypherior with limited options, even more limited without the actual competitive mechanics of the traditional series in Let's Go.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  6. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Assault Vest doesn't exist in Let's Go, Melmetal can't run it. It also can't run EVs. So where do you even expect to run this? And if you somehow magically manage to get it in USUM, I'd prefer something that hits a bit harder in Trick Room. 143 attack isn't bad, but unboosted isn't going to sweep. Alolan Marowak, Z-Curse Tyranitar, Belly Drum Snorlax, they all hit significantly harder in Trick Room. All of them can also run Protect or other supportive moves, fairly useful when the partner has to set up Trick Room, and Melmetal can't under influence of Assault Vest.

Regardless, there isn't any point in discussing its theoretical viability in USUM meta, because it doesn't exist in USUM.

7. shoz999

Nope. Not really. First off, this isn't meant for Let's Go. That's my fault for not mentioning that earlier.
    Second, this is a theoretical set and that's all it's ever going to be until Gen 8 releases. Although I suppose if you strip down the competitive mechanics of the core series, it works pretty much the same way too.
    Third, you are correct. That's why I described him as basically Steel-Type Rhypherior with limited options, or as you put it, outclassed.

8. XaelOstigian

XaelOstigian Competitive...kinda

I really hope I don't have to buy the "Let's GO" games just to get my hands on this legendary Pokemon. I refuse to give a dime to the "Pokemon GO" spin-offs for how much they have diluted the Pokemon fanbase while removing key mechanics Pokemon has always been known for.

Just keep me updated about the Diamond and Pearl remakes. I can't bare to look upon this tangent that Pokemon has gone on any further...

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  9. shoz999

EDIT

Just a heads up, I'm actually wrong about how you can only get Melmetal from the Let's GO games. You can get Melmetal from the Pokemon Go game alone. No need for Let's Go. The Let's Go games just speed up the process quicker but you can evolve Meltan to Melmetal in Pokemon Go, it's just more longer.

10. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Not sure what you're getting at here, but you need both Let's Go and GO to get Meltan. From what I understand Meltan only spawns in Go with the use of a box sent from Let's Go. You then need to evolve it in GO, and you can send the evolved Melmetal back from GO to Let's Go. So without Let's Go you can't get Melmetal or Meltan at all.

11. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

No, they're right, you can get Meltan from the special quest in GO. You'll need to walk it a lot and give it a bunch of rare candies if you don't want Let's GO, but it's definitely within your power to get it in GO, so there's no need to be worried/upset.

12. Sceptile Leaf Blade

I was already alerted to that by someone posting on my profile. I was earlier under the impression both were required to entice GO players to buy Let's Go. Let me be clear, I've got no idea how GO works, all I know about it is that you take your phone outside and do something with catching pokémon there. When you're talking about walking your pokémon or quests I'm already lost. Niantic never made GO available for my phone and I don't think they ever will, so I lack that personal experience.

Anyway, we're getting a bit off-topic. I'm still not sure what @Serebii is expecting us to discuss here. It can't be Melmetal in a theoretical USUM meta, that's about as relevant as discussing stuff in hackmons or whatever, and Let's Go hardly seems like the competitive game, the Mewtwo entry also completely skipped over any Let's Go coverage for any of its forms.

13. StarFan13

StarFan13 New Member

what about the Pre-Evolution Corner Meltan?

14. Det. Viper

Det. Viper Well-Known Member

I agree that this would be a hard Pokémon to discuss competitive viability. Like you said it exists in the Let’s Go games which is not designed to be played competitively. There is also the issue of not knowing all the moves that is could potentially use. Let’s Go does not use all of the current Pokémon moves. Maybe it can learn Vital Throw or Close Combat or something obscure like Grass Knot or Iron Defense. And with Let’s Go not featuring held items it can’t be used in such a fashion anyways.

15. shoz999

I believe it is both the Let's GO games and a theoretical USUM scenario. Simply label your sets as either one to lessen the confusion beforehand and then begin making your sets for the two different competitive scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.