• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #107

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Almost none of the things you mentioned can OHKO Reuniclus and they're all punished by Psyshock, Shadow Ball, or Focus Blast. In fact, nothing there excelt Spiritomb can safely switch in.

First off, Shadow Ball will always do more damage to whatever Reuniclus is hitting over Night Shade, there is no good reason to use Night Shade over Shadow Ball on Reuniclus. Secondly, an all out attacker set is easy to wall, as switch ins other the Ferrothorn will all be faster than it, so it should be running Trick Room on this sort of set (which, to be fair, you did put in the about five slashed options, but it really should take precedence.) Partners for it, I agree on the Trick Room users, but Reuniclus will be needing Light Screen just as much if not a CM set, so it's probably not worth mentioning either, as Reuniclus' bulk generally allows it to survive a few hits anyhow.

Moving onto the counters, most of these are terrible ideas, high special defense won't matter if Psyshock is used (which it commonly is), and just because something has a super effective move doesn't mean that it'll be effective at all.

Escavalier does have a good chance of countering Reuniclus. CB has to be wary of switching in as it could be taken out by the OTR set before it even gets a chance to attack, but otherwise will have no trouble with Reuniclus. SDef Escavalier has nothing to fear from Reuniclus and can kill it at its leisure. The main problems with Escavalier was the move you suggested using with it, X-Scissor. Albeit more reliable than Megahorn, it's damage is pretty pitiful in comparison, having trouble 2HKOing Reuniclus even with Choice Band. Megahorn is the superior choice, and X-Scissor should not be used. Another thing to note is that Escavalier is outclassed severely in OU by Scizor, who fulfills the same role and does it better, meaning Scizor would be a better choice to counter Reuniclus. So, even though Escavalier counters Reuniclus, Scizor does it better.

So essentially, for you tl;dr people, Reuniclus is only countered by two things that you listed, one of those being severely outclassed in the tier Reuniclus is in, so not a very good counters list at all really. The high special defense users have trouble with Psyshock, with even Chansey and Blissey getting 2-3HKO'd, and not able to do much in return as Magic Guard protects Reuniclus from debilitating status, and Seismic Toss can usually only 4HKO Reuniclus at best.

I already made the changes to my post. I didn't know Escavaleir can learn Megahorn.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!
Puns:

Da Blob
SO ZETTA SLOW! (I can't believe someone got there first!)
Celluloid Mass
It only takes One Cell to start a (Melanoma Growing and at 1mm deep, blah,blah,blah)(VGC lv1 set)

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?
Unfortunatley, there's not much reason to use Solosis in Little Cup, cause Abra outclasses by like 7 times, and is just is, .... i don't know how to end off this sentance, LOGIC!

Shame too, Solosis is friggin adorable

Zachmac

Unfortunatley, there's not much reason to use Solosis in Little Cup, cause Abra outclasses by like 7 times, and is just is, .... i don't know how to end off this sentance, LOGIC!

Shame too, Solosis is friggin adorable
Smogon would like to have a word with you.

I'm not much of a LC person, put it seems Solosis can pull of a mini-Reuniclus trick room set rather well, and get away with a power boosting nature better, making it hit even harder. It seems to have much better HP and defense as well.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Smogon would like to have a word with you.

I'm not much of a LC person, put it seems Solosis can pull of a mini-Reuniclus trick room set rather well, and get away with a power boosting nature better, making it hit even harder. It seems to have much better HP and defense as well.

This still doesn't change the fact that Abra is also more versatile and still largely outclasses Solosis. Abra is also harder to trap with Sucker Punch or Pursuit than Solosis is, and Abra has the naturally high speed while Solosis has to waste a turn setting it up, in the mean time the Dark type counters such as Murkrow, Houndour, Stunky, etc switch in and can kill off Solosis with Sucker Punch (Stunky doing very well as Solosis' best option is HP Fighting, which doesn't do too much damage.) Abra has the advantage of having Protect on several of its sets so it doesn't have to worry so much about a Pursuit/Sucker Punch guessing game, and can also Dual Screen and Encore (Encore leaving Sucker Punch users helpless as Abra switches out). I'm sure KT can explain it better since he plays the tier a lot more frequently, but this is what I can garner from the info I have at hand lol

Also, I'd trust KT on this, he plays LC pretty much more than anyone. Though I don't doubt that Solosis has a certain niche to fill, I agree with KT that Abra outclasses Solosis as any sort of sweeper.

Last edited:

Rule #1 of Competitive battling is that the Smogon analysis is the best archive of usable sets on the web. Rule #2 is an exception to the rule, in which their LC analysis is godawful. Barring a few commonly used LC mons like Scrafty or Misdreavus the Smogon LC analysis tends to be useless. A lot of them are full of errors and are unrealistic in how they present the usability of LC Pokemon. The reason for this is during the early B/W metagame development a lot of people wrote LC analysis because they were easy, as so few people in quality control played the game so no one really was able to tell what set was **** or not.

On the other hand LC is weird, where almost everything can be a sweeper in the right situation. Don't be fooled about Solosis though. Priority is on literally every LC team and Solosis isn't much bulkier than Abra, but unlike Abra it needs a turn to setup Trick Room to do anything. On a dedicated Trick Room team sure it might be useful but in most cases Abra is just better.

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Rule #1 of Competitive battling is that the Smogon analysis is the best archive of usable sets on the web. Rule #2 is an exception to the rule, in which their LC analysis is godawful. Barring a few commonly used LC mons like Scrafty or Misdreavus the Smogon LC analysis tends to be useless. A lot of them are full of errors and are unrealistic in how they present the usability of LC Pokemon. The reason for this is during the early B/W metagame development a lot of people wrote LC analysis because they were easy, as so few people in quality control played the game so no one really was able to tell what set was **** or not.

On the other hand LC is weird, where almost everything can be a sweeper in the right situation. Don't be fooled about Solosis though. Priority is on literally every LC team and Solosis isn't much bulkier than Abra, but unlike Abra it needs a turn to setup Trick Room to do anything. On a dedicated Trick Room team sure it might be useful but in most cases Abra is just better.

I didn't know scrafty was lc? Probably a mistype there.
Counters.
Well, lets see. Scizor is your best bet. Stab bug moves are great on reuniclus. Tyranitar can do damage, but take care of focus blast.

KingTorterraXIV

Wait what?

Yeah basically, Trick Room is kinda cool, but it really doesnt work. Lots of pokemon have a lot of speed investment, and will be genrally be quite fast, which you'd think would make trick room awesome, but like BH said, LC teams have so much priority with them. (Mienfoo Fake out, Murkrow Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Quick Attack [cause some things actually use it effectivly lol], and having to put up Trick Room will take time that could cost you the match. I totally forgot the point where Trick Room teams are so weak without Trick Room, most of yyour pokes will die before Trick s really starting to be effective 89% of the time. Just the thing about Solosis, if your actually wanting to use it, it's probably the best for Trick Room, but by how weak Trick Room is, your still better off using Abra, and a standard team, to cripple you much less than if your using Trick Room. (Also to that part about the LC analysises, I'd like to back up BH's argument by showing these.

You literraly made an analysis for a poke with 4 moves
I want you to look at those stats for a minute
"and it should never be seriously considered for a teamslot"
"Ledyba can even wall a few top threats, including Mienfoo and the ever-dangerous Scraggy."
Even Shroomish was better than this
lol

Reuniclus on the other hand (cause i actaully knew stuff about OU), I like better as a Calm Mind, since it makes it so bulky, but Trick room is pretty good, cause it is notacbly slower than everything, and OU has less prioirty move spam comapred to LC, but Reuniclus is builk and very powerful, jsut deal with its like 92 speed lol

Last edited:

MidnightFennekin

Unwashed skank
Set Name: A Wall for Cell-ebration

Duosion
EVs: 4 Hp 252 Sp. A 126 Sp.D 126 Def
Item: Eviolite/Light Clay
Moves;
Psychock/Psychic
Thunder/Hidden Power (Fighting)
Light Screen
Reflect

Psychic is one of Dousion's best attack, and can hit hard. But Psyshock, another option, allows you to get arround special walls. Unlucky for Duosion, it can't learn Focus Blast, so is stuck with Hidded Power (Fighting) to get around steel types. But for pure power, use Thunder. Light Screen and Reflect allows Duosion to last for longer or set up for friends, and it works really good with the Light Clay. but if you want Duosion to be around longer for the sacrifice of light screen/reflect lasting shorter, than use eviolite.

Status
Not open for further replies.