• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pledster

Member of the Elite
How about this movelist...

Recyclax

-Belly Drum
-Recycle
-Return
-Crunch / Earthquake
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Adamant (+Att -Special Att)
Hold Item: Sitrus Berry

A set taking full advantage of Snorlax's Gluttony Ability. Use Belly Drum to take it down to half health maxing Attack which combined with Gluttony eats the Sitrus Berry afterwards to recover some of the lost health. Recycle can bring back the berry over and over. Return plus STAB and max power can deal some decent damage. Crunch / Earthquake can be used for any counters from Ghost / Steel / Rock Types.

rukarion

lucario trainer
Adamant
The Big Bang
self destruct
(4 gen)ice punch/heavy body
earthquake
curse
life orb

nice
or

relaxed
return
recycle
rest
belly drum
leftovers/chesto

use

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
How about this movelist...

Recyclax

-Belly Drum
-Recycle
-Return
-Crunch / Earthquake
Nature: Adamant (+Att -Special Att)
Hold Item: Sitrus Berry

A set taking full advantage of Snorlax's Gluttony Ability. Use Belly Drum to take it down to half health maxing Attack which combined with Gluttony eats the Sitrus Berry afterwards to recover some of the lost health. Recycle can bring back the berry over and over. Return plus STAB and max power can deal some decent damage. Crunch / Earthquake can be used for any counters from Ghost / Steel / Rock Types.

Sitrus berry only heals 30 HP right? It's good at very low lvl fights, but on lvl 100 fights with Snorlax? No thanks. Leftovers heals on a 500HP Snorlax 31HP per turn. Sitrus berry only heals 30 every turn assuming you use Recycle every turn. So Leftovers heals more, saves a move slot, and doesn't completely prevent you from doing something to your opponent. And with Leftovers you can also use another ability that can be useful, like Thick Fat. Belly Drum Snorlax is a viable option, but Sitrus Berry Snorlax simply isn't a viable option.

snorlax@chesto berry

belly drum
rest
rollout
hyper beam

drum then rest then destroy all in your path

What is wrong? First of all, Rollout might work in-game, but against other players it sucks. It takes too long to gain power and locks you in the fight and in the move for a large number of turns. Nothing is stopping your foe from simply switching in Metagross, launching an Agility, and going for a sweep. Nothing is stopping Tyranitar from coming in, launching 2 dragon dances or even 3, and then destroying your entire team. Next up, Hyper Beam. Not only does it prevent switching and give away a free turn, it's a special move. On a Belly Drum set. Belly drum boosts attack, not special attack.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
LeichiLax
Nature: Adamant/Impish
@: Leichi Berry
EVs: 252 ATK, 130 DEF, 126 HP

-Substitute
-Recycle
-Return
-Outrage

Gimmicky, but worth a try.

ScreechLax
Nature: Adamant
@: Leftovers/Life Orb/Muscle Band
Ability: Not Gluttony
EVs: 252 ATK and HP, 4 DEF

-Screech
-Return/Body Slam
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch/Seed Bomb/Earthquake/Thunderpunch/Curse

The Screech-Pursuit combo. Add Return or Body Slam for STAB, and fourth slot is for coverage. Curse can be used here to increase damage output and bulk.

Pledster

Member of the Elite
@ Sceptile Leaf Blade

I understand where you're coming from.
It's just another option which people can use.
Something different for people to try.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Sitrus berry only heals 30 HP right? It's good at very low lvl fights, but on lvl 100 fights with Snorlax? No thanks. Leftovers heals on a 500HP Snorlax 31HP per turn. Sitrus berry only heals 30 every turn assuming you use Recycle every turn. So Leftovers heals more, saves a move slot, and doesn't completely prevent you from doing something to your opponent. And with Leftovers you can also use another ability that can be useful, like Thick Fat. Belly Drum Snorlax is a viable option, but Sitrus Berry Snorlax simply isn't a viable option.

Quick Note: From Gen IV on, Sitrus Berry heals 25% of the user's Max HP; not just 30 HP anymore. So you'd be gaining about 125HP, not 30HP.

damage inc.

Future 2011 champ
selfdestruct nerfed, waaaaay to many new fighting types, and the power creep have turned the "Big Four" (four pokemon prominent in OU since R/B Starmie, Zapdos, Snorlax, and Gengar) into the big three. hopefully UU will be kinder to the big blob, as I have grown fond of him.

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
@pledster I do hope that your set is supposed to have SpD Evs, because if not then a special such as oh Mienshao can come in with an Aura Sphere and KO Snorlax relatively easily, so can anything with good SpA and either HP(Fighting) or Focus Blast. Other than that Curselax is probably the best set for poor old Snorlax now.

Heavybomber may be interesing but it has pitieous coverage only rocks and ice types. On top of that fire, water, electric and steel types all resist it. Not worth the effort.

Pledster

Member of the Elite
@ CROWN

already posted a Curselax set
just thought of the other set as something different.

daveshan

My little friend
I think the problem here is that too many people are trying to play snorlax like they did in gen 3, just a massive beast that can recover from anything and last forever.

IT CAN'T ANYMORE!

Between all the super powered fighters and their super powered fighting moves, both special and physical, it's not the wall it once was. That's why I made my set.
A Glutton for Dealing Punishment
@ Custap Berry (Go first once in a pinch)
Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)
252 Hp/ 252 Att/ 6 Def or Sp. Def

Belly Drum
Zen Headbutt/ Crunch/ Pursuit
EQ/ Super power
Return/ Double-edge/ Self-destruct

With this, you're looking at the big guy taking out two pokemon before he falls. At the least, it'll be taking out a big threat to it.

Maybe if it has whatever berry cuts fighting power in half it can last longer, but someone'd have to play with EV's to figure that one out.

Zachmac

Snorlax's best friend is trick room, with 30 base speed, 160 HP, and 110 attack, so here is a trick room set.
0 Speed
Brave/252 HP/252 Attack
-Double-Edge/Return
-EarthQuake
-Crunch
-ZenHeadbutt

Double-Edge and Return are it's main STAB attacks, with Double-Edge working well with it's 160 base HP. Earthquake hits Rock and Steel types, with crunch handling ghost. ZenHeadbutt hits fighting types for super effective damage, since fighting type moves are the only ones that hit super effectively against normal types.

In a double battle, trick room won't need a swap out, so you can take time to set up. Curse and Gluttony/BellyDrum work well, and stockpile can boost both defenses.

In a set without trick room, counter might do some good damage with high HP and low defense, but the problem is finding which move to replace, since moves that usually aren't important for the plan provide STAB or coverage.

sixonesix

VGC player
doubles set:

snorlax @ sitrus berry / chople berry / normal gem (no custap until it's released by event, otherwise it'd be slashed here too)
brave nature
I'm not real big on lv. 100 ev spreads so help me out here
return
crunch
earthquake / selfdestruct
protect

return is its best stab that doesn't deal recoil. crunch hits ghosts, but return is stronger than crunch vs most other things that crunch hits se. earthquake hits everything else for neutral/se damage except flying steels or random stuff tied to a balloon I guess. protect can keep it from getting beaten by fighting attacks long enough for a partner to counter.

belly drum can work somewhere in here

:wub:disc

more like :mam:anbou
hey daveshan custap berry is illegal in standard OU (apparently sixonesix beat me to this but OH WELL)

rest / talk / whirlywinds / body slam is good in uu for spikes shuffling. so is choice band. CB pursuit could be nice in OU for taking out latios but it's really just doing ttar's job... i'd use body slam or return (paralysis or power) / superpower / fire punch / pursuit or crunch if anything. gliscor stopping it kinda sucks though and it's probably less scary than something like cbtar...

lax's problem is that if it invests too much in attack it can't take special hits as well and if it invests in defence(s) then it doesn't hit hard at all... defencive sets should probably take priority though

Last edited:

Kraleck

Potential Counters
Fighting Types are rather obvious. Barring Special Sets (Blaziken, Infernape, Lucario, etc.), their STAB will wreck 'Lax in a few shots. After a few Moxie boosts, Scrafty will be a huge threat due to its high defenses.

Psychics with Psyshock are new threats with old faces. Alakazam, Starmie, Espeon, Sigilyph, and other Sweepers can rip into Snorlax without mercy. "Bulky" and "Physical Wall" Psychics (the quotes are there because Psychics with those archetypes are rarely so) like Slowbro, Exeggutor, Gothitelle, and Reuniclus can also utilize Psyshock to target 'Lax's lower Defense with STAB and still outrun the tubster. They have to beware of Crunch if they can't do the job in 1 shot, though.

Barring Ground, Fire, or Fighting Type Moves, Steels will have a field day with Snorlax. Since 'Lax has a veritable array of those Moves, it will be slightly more comfortable, barring Skarmory.

Sheer Force behind many Fighting Type Moves will also be quite painful. Low Kick will deal a serious amount as well.

spartanlaser

A tiny, tiny Joltik
i would use selfdestruct, return, crunch, and thunderpunch for those annoying water types.
Gyro ball is a option with focus band or choice scarf for OHKO's.
Leftovers or chople berry is my item.
Return is for STAB, Selfdestruct is a last resort, Crunch works for those pesky ghost types, and THUNDAPAWNCH PWNS water types!

i don't know if it can learn thunderpunch, but if it can thats cool.

THIS IS WHAT I USE FOR MY NON-COMPEITVE SNORLAX, and IT WORKS!

Last edited:
Snorlax can't learn Gyro Ball. Also, on that note, Heavy Slam is not such a good idea either. It offers crap for coverage, and isn't very reliable for power, even with Snorlax's impressive weight. Also...

A cordial single-word message to all who suggest Giga Impact or Hyper Beam: NO.

Bumping this, because I feel it needs to be repeated.

rukarion

lucario trainer
Countering:Conkeldurr
awesome attack and stab fighting moves

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Wow, I think we have run out of usable movesets for Snorlax.
I guess it makes sense. It lacks the ability to counter its counters, it's easy to bring down when it already was back in 4th gen, and it's too easy to predict. Even after a Curse, Snorlax is going down to a fighting move with 120+ base power, even sometimes without STAB. Snorlax needed something new to make it awesome, and it failed to receive anything new. Cloyster got Shell Smash, Mamoswine got Icicle Crash, Blaziken got Hi Jump Kick and Speed Boost, even Volbeat's Tail Glow Passing got better because of Tail Glow now boosting special attack three stages. Snorlax has great stats, type, and movepool, but it can't keep up with the metagame. I really hope the next POTW is a 5th gen or something that got a significant boost in the 5th gen.

Lucario0708

Destiny Combining...
snorlax I like to use

Fat Man (Adamant) @Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Thick Fat
252 Atk 252 Hp 4Def
~Sleep Talk / Selfdestruct
~Rest
~Body Slam / Return
~Earthquake / Crunch

TehPokeNoob

Online Battle Newbie
Guys, a note I must add: Until the Pinch Berries are released in B/W, they are illegal in online play, according to Smogon rules. Just warning you all who don't want to get flamed like my good friend IRL, who used 1 Pinch Berry and got flamed by pretty much everyone on Smogon.

Status
Not open for further replies.