• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #111

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonquester

Fear the dragon
Uxie
Mr. Coverage
Ability:levitate
Item:big root/expert belt
Moves:
Giga drain
Ice punch
Shadow ball/thunderbolt
Extrasensory

Big root boosts giga drain's power and makes it more efficient at healing, ice punch for dragon, ground, and flying types, shadow ball for ghosts and other psychics, thunderbolt to handle waters that giga drain can't handle, and extrasensory for poison and fighting types.

Other options:
Fire punch to handle grass, bug, steel, and ice types.
Thunderpunch is a physical alternative to thunderbolt.
Phychic if you prefer the special defense lowering to the flinch from extrasensory.
Charge beam boosts special attack 50% of the time, good for special attack based sets.
Thunder wave is a good status move for faster opponents.
Yawn/dream eater combo for stab healing.
Signal beam just for coverage on anything you may have missed.
Energy ball is basically a weaker grass type psychic.

Lol, let's not get carried away with the offensive Uxie sets. Base 75 offenses suck, plain and simple.

One notable thing about Uxie in RU is that it's one of the few Pokemon capable of switching fairly safely into Nidoqueen, at least the first time. A 252/0 Uxie almost always survives a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Sludge Wave, while it 2HKOs back with Psychic pretty easily. Since Nidoqueen is such a huge threat to stall, this makes Uxie a key component of RU stall teams (which are generally hard enough to use as it is).

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Eh, I've used this Uxie duo-status set before in UU...

Uxie @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock / Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Yawn
- U-turn

While this set might scream TAUNT BAIT to you, it can be used well to some extent. You can yawn something, then SR, or T-wave a switch in. Once you see a taunter coming in, U-Turn out. Simple as 1, 2, 3. Works best with Hazards. If you have another hazard-er, you can forego SR for Psychic for STAB.

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
The Uxie set I use the most is:

Uxie @Leftovers
Impish (+Def -SpA)/ Careful (+Sp Def -SpA)
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef (I like balancing out the defensive EVs for getting all the mixed bulk I can get)
Moves:
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Mainly used as a support, and the paralysis spread + item removal benefits my entire team. I use this Uxie set in any non-OU/ Uber team of mine that needs something to take mixed hits. After it has done its job, I let it get KO'd so that I can send in a sweeper.

Light Clay + Reflect/ Light Screen is awesome too. :D

Kraleck

Lol, let's not get carried away with the offensive Uxie sets. Base 75 offenses suck, plain and simple.

One notable thing about Uxie in RU is that it's one of the few Pokemon capable of switching fairly safely into Nidoqueen, at least the first time. A 252/0 Uxie almost always survives a 2HKO from Nidoqueen's Sludge Wave, while it 2HKOs back with Psychic pretty easily. Since Nidoqueen is such a huge threat to stall, this makes Uxie a key component of RU stall teams (which are generally hard enough to use as it is).

They don't suck, per se, they're just Below Average. However, when you consider what it'll be facing normally, then they suck. Looking at its Base Stats, I'm reminded a lot of Serperior - tanky defenses, good Speed, Below Average offenses, and Above Average HP. Like Serperior, Uxie relies on buffs to go all-out offense, except with Calm Mind instead of Coil/Contrary Ability+Leaf Storm. Even so, it's got Yawn, Toxic, Memento, Stealth Rock, Trick, Knock Off, Heal Bell, Swagger, Mud-Slap, and Magic Coat to choose from on Status Moves (I consider Moves like Knock Off and Mud-Slap as such due to their low Power and guaranteed Effect).

KingOmega

BOO!! hehehe...
Defensive Staller:

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 152 Def/ 252 Speed
Moveset:
~Toxic
~Protect
~Substitute
~Swagger

Basically, you first set up a substitute, then you hit your opponent with a toxic, then use swagger so there is a lesser chance of it hitting you when your not using protect. The EV spread is set up so that the swagger's attack raising effect doesn't ruin Uxie in the long-run, as well as an added protection against attacks with a larger HP stat, and finally, a big speed stat so Uxie can quickly set up the toxic and substitute.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Defensive Staller:

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 152 Def/ 252 Speed
Moveset:
~Toxic
~Protect
~Substitute
~Swagger

Basically, you first set up a substitute, then you hit your opponent with a toxic, then use swagger so there is a lesser chance of it hitting you when your not using protect. The EV spread is set up so that the swagger's attack raising effect doesn't ruin Uxie in the long-run, as well as an added protection against attacks with a larger HP stat, and finally, a big speed stat so Uxie can quickly set up the toxic and substitute.

No offense but that's pure taunt bait

Bold
EV's 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp.def
@Leftovers
Levitate duh
Calm Mind
Reflect / Light Screen / Toxic
Shadow Ball / Psyshock
Giga Drain / Substitute

Basically start off with Reflect, Light Screen, or Toxic to boost your defenses, then go into Calm minding a few times, make a sub after 2-3 turns to make sure you get it up before your screen falls or use Giga drain to get back any lost HP, so your not complete Taunt bait use Shadow Ball or Psyshock if your not using Giga drain run Psyshock, Shadow Ball just so you can take out other Psychic Stalkers

KingOmega

BOO!! hehehe...
Well, then you can replace swagger with an offensive move, like shadow ball.

lol Taunt bait. What a dumb phrase. Meaningless. Don't worry about being "Taunt Bait". There are reasons you should run a STAB move, but Taunt is not a very important one.

For example if Drapion switches in on Uxie and gets hit with Thunder Wave, well big deal it had Taunt. It's still paralyzed.

Zachmac

lol Taunt bait. What a dumb phrase. Meaningless. Don't worry about being "Taunt Bait". There are reasons you should run a STAB move, but Taunt is not a very important one.

For example if Drapion switches in on Uxie and gets hit with Thunder Wave, well big deal it had Taunt. It's still paralyzed.
And, from what I've seen, very few pokemon even ever use Taunt. That's the least of your worries.

Though I'm unsure of lower tiers.

KingOmega

BOO!! hehehe...
And, from what I've seen, very few pokemon even ever use Taunt. That's the least of your worries.

Though I'm unsure of lower tiers.

I always play the NU tier, and taunt comes up more often then higher tiers, but after playing against a diglett with a similar stall set as the one i posted earlier, I couldn't take it down for a LONG time.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Even if you run a STAB move to avoid Taunt you are still completely helpless against Dark types like Drapion with Taunt. I think that running Psychic just to avoid being Taunt bait isn't wise, then just run U-turn instead.

Rayofquazar

Gamefreak introduced their most hated pokemon in 4th gen... No it is not 2nd gen unown and not 3rd gen luvdisc but 4th gen Uxie... Unlike the previous two, uxie is usable... But it has a curse introduced in the same generation under the form of Cresselia! Both pokemon are defensive psychic types with a lot of support options. Cresselia however, has better defenses, and healing options for it and it's teammates. The only thing that uxie has over cresselia is it's access to... Oh! well forget it! Sure cresselia and uxie don't play in the same tier but that deems uxie inferior to cresselia in every turn and when cresselia drops tiers, uxie will drop tiers as well. And since cresselia is now RU, uxie is becoming more and more forgotten!

Uxie is the knowledge pokemon, but doesn't require too much knowledge to know how to use it! It has a role in every team that is either a status spreader or a dual screener. Don't be fooled however, uxie will mostly succeed in it's task as it is too hard to take down in one hit.

I'm not an expert in uxie as I do not use it... But I can see that uxie is still the second most used in it's trio... Azelf is still strongly used mostly as a lead, Uxie in lower tiers is starting to fade out but it's mesprit that is the rarest...

KillerDraco

Even if you run a STAB move to avoid Taunt you are still completely helpless against Dark types like Drapion with Taunt. I think that running Psychic just to avoid being Taunt bait isn't wise, then just run U-turn instead.

I'd be inclined to agree with this. Due to a nasty weakness to Pursuit, U-Turn gives Uxie an easy way out so it's not at the mercy of Pursuit Trappers. If you're opting to run three support moves, U-Turn tends to be one of the more reliable ways to round off the moveset. After all, with such a set up it's pretty much a given that Uxie isn't going to be doing much damage regardless, so it might as well invest in something that'll keep it alive a bit longer.

Just my thoughts.

McDanger

While uxie is overshadowed by its brothers offensively, uxie has a nice niche as a bulky lead, especially in RU. However with 95/130/130 bulk uxie can be used in higher tiers, but faces competition with cresselia who boost superior defensive stats, and an arguably better support move pool with lunar dance to full heal a sweeper, giving him a niche on sun teams. Uxie however has access to memento, letting him pave the way for a powerhouse sweeper like volcarona in OU, or scrafty in UU, or cripple the sweep of an opponents pokemon. Uxie also has access to u turn, allowing it to switch out and gain momentum for your team, something that cress doesnt do. These give it a niche as a HO lead, as it can set up screens and rocks, and memento you your first sweeper. Memento also gives it a niche over azelf as screen lead, as it grabs momentum and forces your opponent into a defensive corner, while azelf explodes, and can leave you on the worse end if you predict wrong or it doesnt KO. Furthermore, his superior bulk almost guaranties that rocks will go down and your screens up, while azelf is 2hkoed from banded ttars crunch through reflect, and overall has trouble getting screens and rocks up before dieing. As for a calm mind sweeper, uxie faces harded competition as it goes up in tiers, again its biggest rival being cress because it has the same niche, its bulk. As for in the RU tier, uxies bulk gives it an edge over mespirit and gardavor for calm minders as with a sub up its hard to takes down.

As for countering uxie, it varies by tier. In OU tyrannitar is a hard counter to it, while scizor threatens its powerful u turns. Hydreigon threatens drak pulse, but has to be wary of thunder wave. Lum berry volcarona can get +2 on it and OHKO it with bug buzz, but has to be wary on the switch in. In UU, scrafty is the best answer as he doesnt care about thunder wave with shed skin, and just sets up on him. Weavile threatens its powerful night slash, but fails to OHKO it, and then gets thunder waved. Sub chandelure is another way as uxie normally doesnt carry an attack other then u turn which does nothing to chandy, while he fires his insanely powerful shadow balls back at it. Heracross is another as it threatens megahorn and if its running guts, the thunder wave would be arguable more beneficial to heracross. In its main tier of RU, escavialer is the best answer as its already slow so thunder wave doesnt bother it to much, and its CB megahorn destroyes it. Accelager threatens bug buzz, but cant OHKO iirc, and then gets thunder waved, same with scoliped unless its running a bug gem. Skuntank is a hard counter as it can taunt it and the crunch/sucker punch/pursuit it, while spiritomb can do the same, or hit it with shadow sneak. Lum berry absol can set up on it and OHKO it with night slash, tho i think LO absol OHKOs it at +0. Universally, tricking it with a choice item shuts it down.

Uxie@light clay
bold
252hp/252 def/4 sp def
-stealth rock
-light screen/thunder wave
-reflect/u turn
-memento/psychic/giga drain

rc52

Ryan's PokAnalysis
Uxie is the little pixie that could. It's got many tricks up its sleeve, with a surprisingly large movepool. The reason that it finds itself in LU or RU is that there's many Pokemon that pull off most of its tricks better than Uxie. So why would you use this Pokemon? Again, back to that movepool.
Uxie is loaded with support options and the stats to use them. Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Memento, the list goes on. That gives it a niche in LU/RU that makes it a valuable partner. However, if you expect some kind of attack capability from Uxie, it's there...barely. It's attacking stats are mediocre, but it does have Calm Mind to help that out. Another thing to note is that it has no recovery outside of Rest, which would help its awesome bulk out a ton. Don't let that turn you away, though. It's versatility means that your opponent doesn't really know what to expect with this Pokemon.

Abilities
Levitate: Uxie's only Ability but a much appreciated one. Psychics can stand to get more resistances anywhere they can get them, and this certainly helps.

Move set time. I'll do one that others haven't done
Helmet Head
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Fighting]
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs and Nature:
96 HP / 188 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

Sub Calm Mind Uxie isn't as oddball or outclassed as it sounds. It's got bulk coming out of the wazoo so you should be able to set up a Calm Mind or two without fear of death. Substitute is held up by pretty nifty defenses. Psyshock is your main STAB and makes sure Pokemon like Blissey pay for trying to wall you. Thunderbolt provides nice coverage with Psyshock even though Krookodile will be immune to both attacks. If you don't like immunities stopping you, try Hidden Power [Fighting]. It - oh yeah. Spiritomb.
Well, just go with whichever one you feel like!

Other Options for Uxie
A lot. Amnesia, Choice items/Trick, Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch, Heal Bell, Magic Coat, Memento, Psych Up, ResTalk, Safeguard, Shadow Ball, Yawn, Zen Headbutt, Mental Herb.
Amnesia astronomically boosts Uxie's Special Defense. Too bad it doesn't have reliable recovery, or else this would get way more use than it does.
Choice items, although you may think other Pokemon make better use of them, are usable thanks to Trick giving Uxie a way to surprise and cripple non-offensive threats.
Elemental Punches are in Uxie's arsenal. However, it does not have a way to boost its Attack outside of Swagger / Psych Up, making this option weak.
Heal Bell is one of a slew of support moves that will come in handy, removing status problems.
Magic Coat is an option because many people see Uxie as hazard-setting fodder. It also bounces back Taunt, and that's extremely important.
Uxie is probably the bulkiest user of Memento in the game (besides maybe Cofagrigus). This provides it with an excellent niche that it can take good advantage of even in Ubers, as proven last Gen.
Psych Up nabs stat changes, perhaps perfect for beating a set-up sweeper.
Rest / Sleep Talk works with Uxie's incredible bulk to make it a potent staller. However, choose carefully what moves go with it.
Safeguard, unlike Heal Bell, stops status problems from surfacing. Very useful on a stalling set but otherwise I prefer Heal Bell.
Shadow Ball is an option to replace Substitute on the Calm Mind set. Which is useful as that set get stopped by too much.
Yawn forces a switch or puts the opponent to sleep.
Zen Headbutt is a substitute for Psychic on the main support set if you want U-turn to do more damage. That and getting walled by Steelix and Alomomola doesn't bother this Pokemon at all.
Mental Herb can be useful as Uxie absolutely hates being Taunted, and the herb is a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Partners
Fighters are arguably the best partners, for Dark-types are the worst enemies, and they will end Uxie pretty quickly with a combination of Taunt and STABs. Lucario benefits greatly from the Stealth Rocks and paralysis that Uxie throws around, being able to KO opponents far easier under said circumstances, 4x resists Dark and gets Justified, and isn't as bothered by Taunt. What else isn't bothered by Taunt? Choiced attackers, like Heracross, who effortlessly pummel Uxie's enemies. If we're talking about the lower tiers, perhaps look to Scolipede, Hitmonlee, and all that. Most of them learn Rock-type moves, so that's useful for handling Bugs like Venomoth.

Countering Uxie
If it can learn Taunt, it can counter Uxie. 95 base Speed isn't quite enough to do it justice, although it is faster than most Taunters in the tier. Of all the Taunters, Whimsicott laughs at it as either Taunts Uxie or stalls it to death with Encore + Leech Seed. Mandibuzz can Taunt and phase it with Whirlwind (the rare Nasty Plot set will beat Uxie most if not all of the time). Really, any Dark-type will do a number on it. Bugs like Venomoth can murder it, but STAB can hit a lot of them hard. But basically, just stick to Taunt. That move is the one that does the most damage to Uxie and its vast versatility.

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
All-Physical
Item: Life Orb/Flying Gem
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense/HP
Zen Headbutt
Acrobatics/Fire Punch
Fowl Play/Thunderpunch/Ice Punch
U-Turn

All-Special
Item: Life Orb
Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense/HP
Psychic/Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
Energy Ball/Signal Beam

Mixed
Item: Life Orb/Flying Gem/King's Rock
Lax/Gentle w/ 168 Attack, 168 Sp Attack, 168 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense/HP
Zen Headbutt/Psychic/Psyshock
Acrobatics/Fire Punch/Shadow Ball/Fowl Play
Thunderbolt
U-Turn/Energy Ball/Signal Beam

Partners:
Helping Hand-users

Countering:
Offensive pokemon with Bug/Dark/Ghost-type attacks like Porygon-Z, Signal Beam Magnezone, Shadow Ball Glaceon, Hydreigion, Crunch Salamence, Metagross, Escavaleir, Tyranitar, Armaldo, or Night Slash Scizor/Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.