• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #114

Status
Not open for further replies.

firestar58

The Zekrom Master
My First Ever POTW Post. Hope Y'all like it.

Revenge Killing Mushroom
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Jolly or Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk 252 Speed 4 HP
Ability: Technician
-Retaliate
-Swords Dance
-Force Palm/Seed Bomb/Sky Uppercut
-Mach Punch

The idea is to use this after a pokemon faints. Then by switching in and using this awesome speed to Retaliate, I can kill what ever is in front of it. Then I can swords dance up and use other moves that are necessary.

Last edited:

13_luckynumber

I trust serebii's writers know how to make some good sets for Breloom, but want to ask u guys to write a more detail counters and checks section for this mon. I hate Breloom with passion so creative ways to deal with it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

KillerDraco

Counters

Celebi - This thing pretty much screams counter to Breloom. Its grass/psychic typing gives it resistances to both of Breloom's STABs, which, when combined with its respectable 100/100/100 defensive spread, makes it a nigh insurmountable task for Breloom to break through Celebi. Natural Cure can allow it to heal off Spore, and it can easily outspeed and 1HKO Breloom with Psychic even with minimal Special Attack investment.

Gliscor - Once the Toxic Orb kicks in, Gliscor no longer has to fear Spore from Breloom. He also resists all of Breloom's fighting moves, and has massive defense to weather Breloom's assaults... though repeated hits from Technician Bullet Punch can wear it down eventually, and it doesn't have too much trouble breaking through Gliscor's substitutes. It stops SubPunch Breloom cold, however.

Once Sleep Clause is activated, the number of Pokemon that can counter Breloom goes up dramatically. The following counters do not like being put to sleep, but Sleep Clause helps this matter.

Latios/Latias - The Eon twins resist both of Breloom's STABs, outspeed it with ease, and can 1HKO Breloom with a Psychic/Psyshock or Hidden Power Fire/Ice. As mentioned they don't like eating Spore, but they can revenge kill Breloom with ease if the need arises, as well.

Gengar - With an immunity to Fighting Attacks and a resistance to grass, Gengar doesn't have too much to fear from Breloom. However, its relative frailty means it can't take too many Technician-boosted Bullet Seeds, and said Bullet Seed can rip apart Substitutes. However, SubDisable Gengar can royally screw Breloom over if it Subs on the Spore, and then follows it up by disabling Spore. It goes without saying that eating Spore will ruin Gengar's day, though.

Dragonite - With a 2x resistance to fighting and a 4x resistance to grass, Brelooms not carrying Stone Edge can't touch Dragonite at all. It doesn't like being Spored, of course, but if sleep clause is active, or if Dragonite is packing a Lum Berry when it isn't, it's guaranteed to either set up, or 1HKO Breloom with Fire Punch (possibly both). Adamant Dragonites have to be careful of being outsped by Jolly Brelooms, too.

Salamence - Much like Dragonite, Salamence only fears Stone Edge and Spore, but Intimidate variants can further soften Breloom's attacks up. Once Sleep Clause is in effect, Salamence doesn't mind coming in on most Brelooms.

Dusclops - Same as most of the above; doesn't like being Spored, but once Sleep Clause is active, it's got a fair chance. Its massive Eviolite boosted defenses allow it to survive anything Breloom throws at it, and then cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. Obviously though this only works on Technician Variants.

Skarmory - We all knew this was coming. Skarmory's massive defense can stand up to Breloom's assaults, and in turn Skarmory can 1HKO with Brave Bird. Again, Sleep Clause is your friend as Skarmory doesn't like Spore.

Volcarona - An unconventional counter, as its defense is low, and Stone Edge is guaranteed 1HKO. However, he resists both of Breloom's STABs, and has a chance to burn it with Flame Body, crippling it for the rest of the match. It can also revenge Breloom in a pinch.

Checks

Mamoswine - Jolly Mamoswine can easily revenge kill Breloom with Ice Shard, but it absolutely cannot take a hit from Breloom. For this reason it absolutely has to be Jolly, as a Jolly Breloom will outspeed an Adamant Mamoswine with Mach Punch.

Thundurus-T - It outspeeds Breloom, resists Mach Punch, and 1HKOs with Hidden Power Ice. It doesn't like Spore, or Stone Edge, so it should only be considered as a revenge killer.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Toxic
Toxic Heal w/ Toxic Orb
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 172 Defense, 86 Speed
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut/Drain Punch
Stone Edge
Leech Seed/Thunder Punch

Tech
Technician w/ Leftovers/Life Orb/Big Root
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 172 Defense, 86 Speed
Mach Punch/Force Palm/Low Sweep
Bullet Seed
Rock Tomb
Leech Seed

Partners
Reflect/Light Screen-users
Tailwind-users
Quick, Safeguard-users if Toxic Orb & Toxic Heal are in use; to prevent other status moves to affect Breloom, espically Burn.
Helping Hand-users
Follow Me/Rage Powder-users

Counering
High Defense and SP Attack Fire/Ice/Psychic/Flying-types with Air Cutter/Air Slash/Hurricane like Togekiss or Fan Rotom.
Other pokemon include Skarmory, Siglylph, Torkoal, Fire/Ice Punch Dusknoir, Metagross, Aerial Ace Leafeon/Crustle/Escavaleir/Armaldo/Durant, Gliscor, Psychic Spiritomb/Cofagrigus, or Scizor.

Kraleck

Counters
Dragonite - With a 2x resistance to fighting and a 4x resistance to grass, Brelooms not carrying Stone Edge can't touch Dragonite at all. It doesn't like being Spored, of course, but if sleep clause is active, or if Dragonite is packing a Lum Berry when it isn't, it's guaranteed to either set up, or 1HKO Breloom with Fire Punch (possibly both). Adamant Dragonites have to be careful of being outsped by Jolly Brelooms, too.

Salamence - Much like Dragonite, Salamence only fears Stone Edge and Spore, but Intimidate variants can further soften Breloom's attacks up. Once Sleep Clause is in effect, Salamence doesn't mind coming in on most Brelooms.

Volcarona - An unconventional counter, as its defense is low, and Stone Edge is guaranteed 1HKO. However, he resists both of Breloom's STABs, and has a chance to burn it with Flame Body, crippling it for the rest of the match. It can also revenge Breloom in a pinch.

Checks
Thundurus-T - It outspeeds Breloom, resists Mach Punch, and 1HKOs with Hidden Power Ice. It doesn't like Spore, or Stone Edge, so it should only be considered as a revenge killer.

Xatu should also be considered when facing Breloom - it's Double-Resistant to Fighting, Resistant to Grass, and Magic Bounce makes it immune to Spore. The main issue is Stone Edge, but you'll see that Move coming a mile away. Plus, with Stone Edge's low PP, you can easily switch to a Pressure Ability Pokemon like Wailord, Bisharp, Dusknoir, or Eviolite-clops to wear it out and switch back to Xatu if Breloom decides to get frisky with a STAB Move instead of switching.

Xatu's other issue when facing Breloom is a common issue among many Pokemon Types: Stealth Rock. An ally with Stealth Rock is a huge asset to Breloom, allowing it to limit Breloom's Checks & Counters. You'll notice that I left the Pokemon that take increased damage from SR in that quote - Stealth Rock is quite a big deal for some of them.

Without Stealth Rock active, Insomnia Banette is another potential problem for Breloom - being Immune to Spore and Fighting-Type Moves forces Breloom's user to choose another Move. Banette may be outsped and unable to take a hit, but it can allow an ally to get a free-ish switch into Breloom, especially if they have Sap Sipper Ability (aside from Azumarill and Bouffalant, they all outspeed Breloom) and Breloom lacks Stone Edge. Switching back and forth between the two will slowly wear Breloom's PP down without perfect prediction, but it's still a Ragequit-worthy hassle.

Last edited:

mg-just-me

My first POTW moveset

Breloom has always been one of my favorite pokemon,

;286; Sweeping set
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 defense, 252 speed, 4 HP
@: Toxic Orb

Facade
Seed Bomb
Mach Punch/Superpower/Sky Uppercut
Stone Edge/Thunderpunch

Facade deals massive damage if combined with Toxic Orb, Seed Bomb is STAB, Mach Punch for a quick hit, Superpower for massive damage (and STAB), Sky Uppercut is STAB. Stone Edge deals more damage to Flying Types than Thunderpunch. Also Stone Edge is coverage for Fire Types, While Thunderpunch is more effective on Gyarados and other Grass resisting Watertypes

Last edited:

matgonor

Too cool for SSB4
Name Pun
How often do you put guys to sleep?
Sporadically.

@Life Orb
-Spore
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Seed
-Mach punch
Technician
Adamant, 252 Atk/Spe, 4 HP

...Yeah Lame Pun
Anyway, Breelom is pretty much a monster right now.Choice band, Swords dance, spore, the good ol toxic heal set...Its options are varied.
At base 130 atk, everything should be scared of your power.And just to think you can boost it even more with swords dance, and its almost guaranteed you will get at least one if you manage to put someone to sleep, and thanks to spore, its almost always.
But he isnt without its counters.Faster ghost are a problem(specially gengar), flying types in general(Tornadus-T was technically THE counter to him, aside from a little green pixie), And CELEBI.That´s the counters.
Yet, if you manage to pull a swords dance and your opponent doestn resist fighting/is slower than breelom, Then you can say GG.
This guy Sweeps better Late game than Scizor!

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?

Revenge Killing Mushroom
-Retaliate
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch

The idea is to use this after a pokemon faints. Then by switching in and using this awesome speed to Retaliate, I can kill what ever is in front of it. Then I can swords dance up and use other moves that are necessary.

Welcome to the potw. I don't really see the "awesome speed", as Breloom is out speeded by lots, he only has base 80.

Gliscor counters him pretty well.

Edit and this is my 1000th post woo.

Star Champion AJ

Revenge Killing Mushroom
-Retaliate
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch

Sorry if I'm going to be mean, but Swords Dance can't ever be used with Choice Band, since the item forces the Pokémon to use the same move so stat boosting moves are useless on any Choice set.
Second, if you wanted Speed, you should have chosen a Choice Scarf.
Finally, ANY Technician Breloom with a Choice item (if you want to use one for some reason) should go with AT THE VERY LEAST Force Palm/Low Sweep and Bullet Seed, but Mach Punch can be considered for priority reasons.

You make me lose Spore, then you'll be Retaliated to death
286.gif
@Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Nature: Jolly
Force Palm/Low Sweep
Bullet Seed
Retaliate
Stone Edge/Thunder Punch/Mach Punch
A Choice Scarf Breloom, which loses some usefulness since the mushroom fighter can't use Spore anymore, but you can revenge kill most things with that...
For starters, Retaliate means... REVENGE KILLING as long as the killer wasn't a Ghost, Rock or Steel-type and/or have high Defense stats!
Second, with Technician both STAB's get a power boost meaning Bullet Seed has the power of a thousand Gatling Guns while Force Palm or Low Sweep mess with the opponents' Speed in different ways.
For the filler move, Mach Punch gets priority while Stone Edge or Thunder Punch are used to annihilate those pesky Flying-types trying to ruin your day.

Last edited:

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Spr_5b_286.png

Breloom @ Life Orb
Technician | Adamant
4 HP / 252 atk / 252 spe
- Mach Punch - Bullet Seed
- Stun Spore - Spore

I've used dual status Breloom in the past and to good success. Almost always when Breloom is in the opponent will be switching into something to take the Sleep as they know its coming. From there they will tend to switch out to something else that will be able to take any of Breloom's attacks. This is where Stun Spore is great. Pokemon such as Lati@s or Gliscor (pre-poisoning) will switch in and instantly be crippled by the Paralysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.