• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

555.png

This week we'll be doing Darmanitan. The Pokémon with two unique abilities which require completely seperate planning for use. I want to see great sets utilising these abilities

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/555.shtml

When it says, 'the move will lose it's secondary effect' in the description of the Sheer Force ability, does that include recoil, and stat losses? If it does, Flare Blitz and Superpower could make very good moves for this. If not, it is a lot more limeted.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
When it says, 'the move will lose it's secondary effect' in the description of the Sheer Force ability, does that include recoil, and stat losses? If it does, Flare Blitz and Superpower could make very good moves for this. If not, it is a lot more limeted.
No. Sheer Force only works on moves which offer status afflictions or give a chance of the opponent's stats getting lowered. It's basically the inverse of Serene Grace.

Flare Blitz DOES get the boost, but it doesn't lose the recoil

ultimatedarkrai

Forbidden Empire!
Darmanitan@life orb/choice band
Nature: adamant
Evs:4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
Ability:sheer force

Flare blitz/fire punch
stone edge
superpower/earthquake
u-turn

Basically, your two main stabs get the boost form sheer force making fire punch acceptable over flare blitz for no recoil but flare blitz is still much better. Stone edge doesnt get the sheer force boost but combos well with the stab and is a great move in general. Superpower gets a lot of power and neutral coverage on all pokemon i believe, but EQ is an option but leaves you weak to flygon and others and fire moves get similar coverage to it. U-turn is just to get out should you need to. For the item, if you want choice band for more power or life orb and more freedom

daveshan

My little friend
No. Sheer Force only works on moves which offer status afflictions or give a chance of the opponent's stats getting lowered. It's basically the inverse of Serene Grace.

Flare Blitz DOES get the boost, but it doesn't lose the recoil

Isn't there a trick, though, that sheer force + life orb + move with secondary effect = No LO recoil?

EDIT: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blog.php?b=26034

A bunch of other sites also confirm this.

With that being said, this guy's moveset is gonna change DRASTICALLY when the RS remakes and the 3rd game come out.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Well, zen mode is going to be a tricky one to use, and it can't have any egg moves...
Darmanitan
ZenMode/Sitris Berry
Bold(I can't decide EVs).
-Substitute
-Flamethrower/Fireblast
-Psychic
-GrassKnot

Use substitute to get down to 50% health, and restore 25% of your health health with your sitris berry. Flamethrower, FireBlast, Psychic are all for stab, and GrassKnot hit Rock and Water types.

I based this of a belly drum snorlax set in the last thread.
Isn't there a trick, though, that sheer force + life orb + move with secondary effect = No LO recoil?
If there is, I never heard of it. Maybe it should be tested out.

Oh, I just thought of a belly drum set. But, it won't be legal until the pinch berries are released.
Darmanitan
Jolly/Adamant/252att/252speed
SheerForce/SalacBerry
-Substitute
-BellyDrum
-FirePunch
-BrickBreak/Earthquake

Use it like a substitute bellyzard, but save this set for later, as the salac berry is banned until it is released.

NitroCharge
Adamant/252att/252Speed
SheerForce/
-NitroCharge
-FirePunch
-Earthquake
-StoneEdge

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Grrrr. Still waiting for Eelektross. I'm just going to keep waiting.

Anyway, Darmanitan. Gotta love that monster attack stat.

Choicemanitan
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 ATK and Speed, 4 HP
@: Choice Scarf/Choice Band

-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
-Superpower
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Darmanitan's stats put it in the direction of a choice item user. Two 120 power attacks and two 100 power attacks. Awesome. Fire Punch can be used over Flare Blitz if you have an issue with the recoil.

Bulkmanitan
Nature: Jolly
EVs: same as the last one
@: Life Orb/Leftovers

-Bulk Up
-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Not too difficult to figure out.

Drummanitan
@: Life Orb/Leftovers/Salac Berry

-Belly Drum
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake|Substitute
-Rock Slide|Focus Punch

This can be a straightforward Belly Drum route, or a variation of Bellyzard. Either way, you need great prediction.

Chargemanitan
Nature: Adamant
@: Life Orb/Leftovers

-Flame Charge
-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch/Rock Slide/Earthquake/Superpower

Perhaps this should be known as "Rocketmanitan"! Flame Charge will kick some speed and then you launch some monster power.

Zenmanitan-Doll Style!
Ability: Zen Mode
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Special Attack/126 defense and special defense/4 HP
@: Wise Glasses/Black Sludge/Petaya Berry

-Substitute
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat
-Psychic
-Focus Blast/Grass Knot

The idea is to trigger Zen Mode manually. Substitute cuts the HP to activate the Zen. After that, special attacks. Black Sludge is an option, but a very dangerous one. It quickens the activation of Zen Mode, but it also limits how long this can be used. If you want to be safe, give it Wise Glasses. Since Zenmanitan will be with low HP, Petaya Berry can work great.

Zenmanitan-Choice style!
Ability: Zen Mode
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Defense and Special Defense/4 Special Attack
@: Choice Specs

-Flamethrower/Overheat/Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Focus Blast

Let your opponent unleash Darmanitan's Zen by taking damage. The EVs may seem odd, but Pre-Zen Mode Darmanitan is fragile, so it needs the bulk to survive.

Counters
Aerodactyle can one-hit it with Stone Edge. It can switch into the fire attack and Earthquake and Darmanitan down. Also, Stealth Rock will not be something that Darmanitan will appreciate, unless it has Zen Mode. Basically, a solid super effective attack from something faster will put it down. Otherwise, Gyarados can switch into anything not called Stone Edge and trigger Intimidate and smash through with Waterfall. The traditional Physical Walls like Skarmory and Forretress are benched here for obvious reasons.

As for Zenmanitan, Chansey, Gyarados, and to a lesser extent Snorlax can tolerate Zenmanitan and cripple the lowered HP with Toxic.

Cinccino will get a special mention because of Skill Link Rock Blast. It breaks Substitutes and the squishy Darmanitan it shields. However, Zenmanitan may have enough bulk when Zen Mode is active. Another way to counter Zenmanitan is the move Heal Pulse.

Other Options

Physical STAB on Zenmanitan can work as something to use while you are not in Zen Mode, but it's better to just try to activate it.
Belly Drum can automatically activate Zen Mode, but the better route is to use substitute because it's safer.
Hammer Arm can be used over Superpower if the attack drop is something you want to avoid, but Darmanitan will still have plenty of attack after a Superpower and a drop in speed and base power and accuracy is a worse way to go.
Brick Break is a choice if you don't want any stat drops.
Uproar is a special mention because it makes Darmanitan immune to sleep, but Darmanitan does not want to be locked at all, Zen Mode or not.
Focus Sash can be useful for activating Zen Mode, but the slow down factor and the common sandstorms make you look bad. It could work with a non-Zen Darmanitan for a lead set with Taunt and U-Turn, but that is something that puts Darmanitan's offensive magic through waste management plants. Better to think "how can I sweep the unlucky soul?" rather than "how can I annoy the unlucky soul?" when using Darmanitan.
Speaking of which, U-Turn can be useful for hit and run tactics. But passing up an uber-power move (100+ base power) for guerrilla tactics pacifies that 140 attack stat.
Stone Edge gets critical hits, but don't depend on criticals. Ever. You can rely on them, but not depend on them. Besides, Rock Slide hits harder, which I unfortunately found out significantly later.
Salac Berry can be used with outside of Drummanitan, but its not a good idea. Same goes for Liechi Berry.

I hope I did well. Please comment, I want some feedback on how well I'm doing!

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Darmanitan @Life Orb
Sheer Force
Jolly
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge/Bulk Up
-U-turn
-Bulldoze/Earthquake/Bulk Up

rukarion

lucario trainer
zen master
zen mode
peteya berry
modest/jolly
substitute
psycic
fire blast,flamethrower
focus blast

easy peasy

sub sets off zen mode low health causes berry to go
(get it by using a pokemon with false swipe and pick up on morimoto's simi's and you will get one)

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Sheer Force CB:
Flare Blitz
Superpower
Rock Slide
Earthquake/U-Turn
EVs: 252/252 attack/speed, 4 HP

Max Speed allows it to outrun all non-speed boosted base 108 speeds. The idea is to hit insanely hard, or switch with U-Turn, which deals insane damage. Earthquake is an option, but I prefer U-Turn.

Zen Mode Belly Drum
Belly Drum
Fire Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252/252 attack/speed

This set seems really odd at first, considering Zen mode's base 30 attack. The idea is to sweep with Darmanitan at first, then use belly drum. Belly drum is to set it into Zen mode, which will boost its defences. The seeming-childish attack of 159 will get boosted to 1272, and darmanitan's defences will let it live. The point is for the set to be unexpected, making it all the better.

Last edited:

TheAwesomeOne

Darmanitan@Life Orb/Liechi Berry
Sheer Force
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
-Fire Punch
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-U-Turn/Stone Edge/Earthquake
It can't quite do it like Charizard, but it can try. Belly Drum+Sub activates Liechi. Sweep with Fire Punch. U-Turn is to escape but Stealth Rocks will KO it. Stone Edge and Earthquake to take out Fire types.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Darmanitan@Life Orb/Liechi Berry
Sheer Force
Jolly
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
-Fire Punch
-Belly Drum
-Substitute
-U-Turn/Stone Edge/Earthquake
It can't quite do it like Charizard, but it can try. Belly Drum+Sub activates Liechi. Sweep with Fire Punch. U-Turn is to escape but Stealth Rocks will KO it. Stone Edge and Earthquake to take out Fire types.

Belly Drum already maxes out the attack stat. Liechi is better replaced by the Salac.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin

EDIT: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blog.php?b=26034

A bunch of other sites also confirm this.

With that being said, this guy's moveset is gonna change DRASTICALLY when the RS remakes and the 3rd game come out.
Yes there is. However, it gets Flare Blitz recoil still, which was what was being discussed

Well, zen mode is going to be a tricky one to use, and it can't have any egg moves...

If you manage to get a female Zen Mode Darmanitan, you CAN breed it and the offspring has a 50% chance of having Inner Focus, which when Darumaka evolves, turns into Zen Mode. It CAN have Egg Moves

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Scarfitan

Darmanitan@ choice scarf
Nature: Adamant
EV’s: 252 spe 252 attack 4 hp

Moves:
1. Flare Blitz
2. Earthquake
3. Rock slide
4. U-turn

Darmanitan should be OU. Anyway, Flare Blitz with sheer force and STAB does around 250 damage, which will hurt things badly even if it is not very effective. Earthquake gets coverage, as does rock slide. U-turn can be used if things don’t start out well. Sheer force is to boost flare blitz and rock slide. Adamant is for more damage! 128 speeds are to outrun stuff. 128 HP is to help survive recoil damage. Attack is to hit harder. Well, waddaya think? Critiquing much appreciated. Thank You.

^This guy's got it. Rock Slide over Stone Edge. Always Rock Slide over Stone Edge. Stone Edge does not get the Sheer Force boost, but Rock Slide does (flinch rate). So Rock Slide is pretty much a Stone Edge with 10% more accuracy.

bulber

Prof. Pokerus
Snorlax is the first Pokemon of the Wee!

Life Orb with no Recoil, wow!

The Life Orb+Sheer Force Trick is useless because all of moves are Fire type, excluding Smack Down.

The trick is incredibly useful because of Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, and Fire Punch all getting the Sheer Force + Life Orb boost, as well as Flare Blitz and Fire Punch getting STAB, making for a very strong attack. Also does Flame Charge get the Sheer Force boost? If it does, then it DOESN'T boost speed.

TheAwesomeOne

I meant that those are the only moves it is useful for on Darmaniton.
And still, it will get walled by Bulky Waters and other Pokés.

Status
Not open for further replies.