• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
For Counters Bulky Waters will murder it, especially pokemon that double resist it's primary stab, mainly Swampert and Jellicent.

Carnax

Dark Dragoon
For Counters Bulky Waters will murder it, especially pokemon that double resist it's primary stab, mainly Swampert and Jellicent.

honestly, even if the Pokemon has a resistance to Darmanitan's attacks, it's still going to hurt quite bad, especially if it's packing Flare Blitz and Life Orb. It's like being hit by a speeding train in my opinion. Doesn't matter how strong your defenses are, it's still gonna hurt like hell

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Personally I don't like recoil attacks, unless they're much more powerful than the other option or the only option, and thanks to Sheer Force that's not the case. Fire Punk gains the 33% boost making it's POW 99.75 which I believe rounds down to 99 (I think all boost round down no matter what).

So it's Fire Punch 99 POW 100 Acc.
vs.
Flare Blitz 120 POW 100 Acc.

Flare Blitz has a 10% burn rate, so it gets boosted sheer force, along with STAB, and (possibly) a held item. This gives Flare Blitz a base 120, with a sheer force power of 160,
and STAB brings it up to 240! Fire Punch only gets a power of 148. This difference is so huge, that Flare Blitz should always be used (except for certain occations). This is the actual difference:

Fire Punch 99 Power, 100 accuracy
vs.
Flare Blitz 160 Power, 100 accuracy

Nijaskills

I meant that those are the only moves it is useful for on Darmaniton.
And still, it will get walled by Bulky Waters and other Pokés.

Rock slide is useful. And it doesn't get walled by bulky waters. A Life Orb Jolly Flare Blitz in the Sun, despite being resisted, can 2HKO Max Defence Jellicent, and Vaporeon, and CB can 2HKO Max Defence Suicune. This thing hits like two trucks.

Neither of those double resist Fire. Neither ground nor ghost resists fire.

The only things that can really switch into a Darmanitan Flare Blitz are Flash Fire Pokémon and bulky 4x resists. However, Rain is an awesome way to power it down, and worst comes to worst you can switch Blissey into it and destroy Darmanitan with the recoil.

Last edited:

ASB

Weather Team Hater
Jellicent laughs at such a Pokemon.

Also, just a warning. No HyperBeam, NO Giga Impact!

It does laugh at the Zen form but Jellicent is a special wall, not physical. Scald could hurt non-Zen ones, I guess.

Last edited:

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Rock slide is useful. And it doesn't get walled by bulky waters. A Life Orb Jolly Flare Blitz in the Sun, despite being resisted, can 2HKO Max Defence Jellicent, and Vaporeon, and CB can 2HKO Max Defence Suicune. This thing hits like two trucks.

Well Darmanitan can't afford to have sunny day on it's set (too frail) so it will need some building around for that to happen. And the one pokemon you fail to mention is Swampert. Good defenses, Resistance to Darmanitan's main STAB, Ground STAB to fall back on if Darmanitan gets a boost from Sunny Day and Water becomes unreliable, Swampert will make mincemeat out of this one.

Parkur

Well, this is my first time doing one of these, it's probably not good

Abilities:
Sheer Force: You lose the secondary effect of your moves, but their power increases by 33%. Not the best ability in the world, honestly I'd prefer something like Flame Body, but it works well with Darmantian's moveset.
Zen Mode: This ability is interesting, it changes Darumakka into Hihidarumakka when it's HP is below 50% giving your pokemon more weaknesses and eliminating none, not a good ability at all, stick with sheer force.

Moveset

4 Def, 252 Att, 252 Spe
-Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
-Brick Break/Hammer Arm
-Taunt/Yawn
-Stone Edge/Earthquake
Item: Salac Berry
Nature: Adamant

Smogon standard Tentacruel can be OHKOed after Stealth Rocks from Choice Banded Flare Blitz. Kingdra can be safely 2HKOed. Latios and Hippowdon are always OHKOed after rocks.

This thing hits like a nuke, but its relatively slow and extremely frail. Flare Blitz recoil and Stealth Rock damage will rack up quickly. Hes not a good choice in OU but its hard to find a safe switch in for Life Orb sets.

TrollFreak

Pit is Awesome :P
Well I have Some movesets but they are pretty generic in terms of moves, items, and EVs

Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adament/Jolly Nature
252 Atk/252 Spd/4Hp
Item- Choice Band/Scarf

Flare Blitz
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Superpower/Brick Break/Hammer Arm

Okay heres is the standard Hihidaruma (I like the Japanese name batter so I'll use it the whole time on moveset analysis) Flare Blitz is your STAB move for damage, Earthquake can handle Rock types with ease without lowering Atk and Def (If you used Superpower) which has great type coverage. Stone Edge is for Power, while Rock Slide is for Acc and Fliching.

Sub-Punch
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/252 Spd/4Hp
Item - Salac Berry/Lechi Berry/Life Orb

Substitute
Focus Punch
Flare Blitz
Earthquake

Well heres a set no one probably thought of (Maybe they did, I dont know) Well anyways, you can Try to sub down to your berry, and if you can keep it for one turn, you can then Focus Punch everything in your path. Flare Blitz is Stab, and Earthquake Provides coverage.

Support
Jolly Nature
252Atk/252Spd/4Hp
Life Orb/Air Balloon

Taunt/Encore
Toxic
Flare Blitz
U-Turn

Well Okay, here is the mess up support pokes, mess up sweepers a little, hurt you with a powerful move, then get the hell out of there. Taunt prevents Support pokes/ SDers and CMers from setting up, while Encore traps them into that one move. Toxic works great with Hihidaruma, as most pokes that resist toxic are steel types, which Hihidaruma can then hit hard with Flare Blitz. If you then have a Unfavorable match up, get out using U-Turn.

Other Options

Work Up/Bulk Up, Will-o-Wisp, Belly Drum, Endure

Work Up/Bulk Up/Belly Drum are great for Hihi to start setting up, but its defenses are to low for that to happen.

Will-O-Wisp can replace toxic on the support Set, but toxic is favored because of the fact that it can bait out steel types.

Endure Works great with the stat raising berries, but with so many pokes with priority these days, probaby isnt the best of ideas.

Counters

Well, A Physical Wall utterly stops HiHidaruma unless you are using the Support set.
Gliscor can Wall it complety, and with fling on its arsenal it can give HiHi the toxic. Stealh Rocks also cripple HiHi so you should have those Out.

Hope youu guys enjoyed these sets :)

Mr. Marowak

was wrong about Gen6
It does laugh at the Zen form but Jellicent is a special wall, not physical. Scald could hurt non-Zen ones, I guess.

Yeah, true, but Zen Mode's so frail, it's barely worth it. 50% health or less isn't great, ever.

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
Darmanitan
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake/Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Flame Charge
Item Attached: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs and Nature:
252 Atk / 152 Spd / 104 HP
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)

Simple straight forward set. Predict a switch, and Flame Charge on that. With those EVs, you outspeed all the non-uber Pokemon except for Ninjask, Accelgor, and Electrode (which don't make that many appearances anyway.) Dump the rest into HP for survivability, and max out Attack. Flare Blitz is your main STAB move. Earthquake is a gerat move in general, and Rock Slide has great coverage with Earthquake and gets Sheer Force boost.

Darmanitan
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
Ability: Zen Mode
Item Attached: Salac Berry
EVs and Nature:
4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)

Sub down til you get you Zen Mode, then sub once more to get your Salac Berry boost. With Timid, you'll be running 379 Special Attack and 343 Speed. Flamethrower and Psychic are your STAB moves, and Grass Knot is for bulky waters.

Bulky blue.. thing?
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt/Toxic
- Flamethrower/Psychic
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Zen Mode
EVs and Nature:
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def

Substitute down to Zen Mode. Will-O-Wisp covers physical attackers, so you don't need to worry that much about Defence. With Taunt you prevent phazing, but with Toxic, you can go Double Status. Flamethrower/Psychic is for slowly picking up damage, and not getting owned by other Taunters. Full HP and Sp. Def to take hits of course.

Of course, if Zen Mode changes back into Darmanitan's regular form while going over half HP, this set is completely useless.

TheAwesomeOne

^For your last set, the Defenses should be spread out a little bit more.

And Life Orb+Flare Blitz=Serious damage. Not only to the target, but to yourself, you should be dead after 2-3 turns max.
And with Stealth Rocks up, you are dead after 2 turns, most likely 1 turn.

Last edited:

Nijaskills

Well Darmanitan can't afford to have sunny day on it's set (too frail) so it will need some building around for that to happen. And the one pokemon you fail to mention is Swampert. Good defenses, Resistance to Darmanitan's main STAB, Ground STAB to fall back on if Darmanitan gets a boost from Sunny Day and Water becomes unreliable, Swampert will make mincemeat out of this one.

It doesn't need it on its set. Pair it with Ninetails, or something else with sunny day. And it still hits hard outside of sun, it just hits obscenely hard in the sun.

Sheer Force doesn't take damage from Life Orb

I'd like to clarify this. With Sheer Force, a Pokemon doesn't take Life Orb recoil when it uses ONLY a move that gets the Sheer Force boost.

bubi the gamer

I FEEL LIKE TANKING ,TANKNG TA-TA-TA-TA-tanking a lots of walls

GReat choice!my favourite 5th gen pokemon.i first thought it was an ape ,but i´m not too sure anymore...:p

This set is something different that could work around the zen mode ability.

I Feel like tanking ,tanking ...oh wait...MIXED?! can It MIX?!

-belly drum
-flamethrower/flare blitz/fire blast
-Psychic/Overheat/payback
-Hammer arm
item:leftovers/custap berry/balloon
trait:zen mode
nature:Brave +atk -spe

THe momentum of surprise.Can take down blisseys ferrothorns skarmories or whateve comes to its way.DAMN THIS THING IS BULKY!!Belly drum is the key move in this set making darmanitan change its form.Fire blast is anyway recommend on the second slot (unless your using overheat)Psychic has become great nowadays or payback could be used for hitting ghots.
Hammer arm is a must for hitting rock types(the speed lowering doesnt matter.

evs
This thing is bulky so investing in both def stats is propably nice.don´t use any in HP because youur drumming awaya half of it anyway.could put some in attack.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME

Carnax

Dark Dragoon
GReat choice!my favourite 5th gen pokemon.i first thought it was an ape ,but i´m not too sure anymore...:p

This set is something different that could work around the zen mode ability.

I Feel like tanking ,tanking ...oh wait...MIXED?! can It MIX?!

-belly drum
-flamethrower/flare blitz/fire blast
-Psychic/Overheat/payback
-Hammer arm
item:leftovers/custap berry/balloon
trait:zen mode
nature:Brave +atk -spe

THe momentum of surprise.Can take down blisseys ferrothorns skarmories or whateve comes to its way.DAMN THIS THING IS BULKY!!Belly drum is the key move in this set making darmanitan change its form.Fire blast is anyway recommend on the second slot (unless your using overheat)Psychic has become great nowadays or payback could be used for hitting ghots.
Hammer arm is a must for hitting rock types(the speed lowering doesnt matter.

evs
This thing is bulky so investing in both def stats is propably nice.don´t use any in HP because youur drumming awaya half of it anyway.could put some in attack.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME

Yes, it is a type of ape. I have seen the actual species it's based on, but I don't know the name now

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
I guess Darmanitan is OK with the Sheer Force, and he doesn't get affected by Will-O-Wisp.

Perhaps use Zen Mode to shield after a Belly Drum then rest and go sweeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.