• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAwesomeOne

GReat choice!my favourite 5th gen pokemon.i first thought it was an ape ,but i´m not too sure anymore...:p

This set is something different that could work around the zen mode ability.

I Feel like tanking ,tanking ...oh wait...MIXED?! can It MIX?!

-belly drum
-flamethrower/flare blitz/fire blast
-Psychic/Overheat/payback
-Hammer arm
item:leftovers/custap berry/balloon
trait:zen mode
nature:Brave +atk -spe

THe momentum of surprise.Can take down blisseys ferrothorns skarmories or whateve comes to its way.DAMN THIS THING IS BULKY!!Belly drum is the key move in this set making darmanitan change its form.Fire blast is anyway recommend on the second slot (unless your using overheat)Psychic has become great nowadays or payback could be used for hitting ghots.
Hammer arm is a must for hitting rock types(the speed lowering doesnt matter.

evs
This thing is bulky so investing in both def stats is propably nice.don´t use any in HP because youur drumming awaya half of it anyway.could put some in attack.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME

There is no point of Brave. Belly Drum should only be on Sheer Force sets. HP is still wanted, especially with Belly Drum. Darmaniton is supposed to be either Physical, or Special, not mixed. It could already take down Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Blissey.

GarSlizer

Earthshaker
Here's a Zen Mode Sub + 3 attacks set:

Darmanitan@Leftovers
Modest Nature
EVs: 252hp 252satk 4sdef
Substitute
Flamethrower
Psychic
Focus Blast

Essesntially you Sub down to low enough health when Zen Mode activates, then shell attakcs off of your monster satk (140) and soak stuff up with nice defenses (105/105/105). Psychic + Fire + Fighting is only stopped by Victini (who hates Stealth Rock) and the Lati Twins (who dislike Pursuit-trappers like Scizor). Note that Darmanitan's SR weakness helps here by, with a Sub, cutting HP low enough for Zen Mode to work.

twcopal

Bug Catcher
Having done lots of research inn the past on this. Here are the moves that Darmanitan knows the are boosted by sheer force (New base power with life orb is calculated):[1.5 refers to fire stab, 1.33(4/3 to be excact) refers to sheer force boost, 1.30 refers life orb boost] Note that the answers are if nessecary rounded down.
Fire Fang: Base Power: 65*1.33*1.30*1.50=169
Headbutt: Base Power: 70*1.33*1.30=121
Fire Punch: Base Power: 75*1.33*1.30*1.50=195
Flare Blitz: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30*1.50=312
*Psychic: Base Power: 90*1.33*1.30=156
*Flamethrower: Base Power: 95*1.33*1.30*1.50=247
*Fire Blast: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30*1.50=312
Rock Tomb: Base Power: 50*1.33*1.30=86
*Focus Blast: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30=208
Bulldoze: Base Power: 60*1.33*1.30=104
Rock Slide: Base Power: 75*1.33*1.30=130
Rock Smash: Base Power: 40*1.33*1.30=69
Flame Wheel: Base Power: 60*1.33*1.30*1.50=156
**Flame Charge: Base Power: 50*1.33*1.30*1.50=130**

Bold is the end Base Power, if it came to be a decimal i rounded down, and i used 4/3 for 1.33 so if it acually boosts it by 1.33 instead of 1 and 1/3
(4/3), then my answers might be a tad off... but there is really no way to know for sure.

*Special Attack So pointless on Sheer forced Darmanitan.
**UNCOFIRMED ON WEATHER BOOSTED OR NOT**

Last edited:

damage inc.

Future 2011 champ
physical. sun. sweeper. Sample bare-bones team:

Darmanitan
Liligant
Drought-ninetales
Chandelure
Tangrowth
Volcarona

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
^ What is your point? A sunny day team based around Hihidaruma? Post it in the CRMT, not here. BTW that team is gonna get destroyed by Swamp/Vappy with relative ease.

Hihidaruma has major HP issues. This is true; however his purpose on a team should not be to destroy an entire but rather to devastate a few pokemon before self-KOing.

Assuming twcopal is correct, 312 BP (out of the sun) is like bombing your opponent. Only 4x resist and Flah Fire will not get pulverized by this move as under normal circumstances a 166 BP move would be considered a beautiful thing.

Rock slide has 30 points more power than Stone Edge with Sheer Force and a higher accuracy so it really is the better choice at all times.

Fire Punch is good if you don't want to see Hihidaruma slain by Flare Blitz but is quite unnecessary because we want Hihidaruma to kill everything with near impunity.

Superpower receives the boost as well, thus obtaining a monstrous 160 BP before calculating LO. With LO calculated we have a terrifying 208, which makes it more powerful than Self-destruct on other pokemon. Being a fighting move it has great coverage. No SF Hihidaruma set should be used without Superpower.

Now for a set:
Desolation @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Jolly
EV: 252Atk/252SpD/4HP
Moves:
1: Flare Blitz
2: Superpower
3: Rock Slide
4: Bulldoze(filler, the others cover most problems)

Superpower receives the boost as well, thus obtaining a monstrous 160 BP before calculating LO. With LO calculated we have a terrifying 208, which makes it more powerful than Self-destruct on other pokemon. Being a fighting move it has great coverage. No SF Hihidaruma set should be used without Superpower.

Now for a set:
Desolation @ Life Orb
EV: 252Atk/252SpD/4HP
Moves:
2: Superpower
4: Bulldoze(filler, the others cover most problems)

Unfortunately, Superpower doesn't get the boost. Iirc, the only moves that are known to get the boost are those that cause status problems, make the opponent flinch, lower the opponent's stats, or raise your stats. It's still very good on Darman, though. Oh, and you can go Earthquake over Bulldoze. Even after the SF boost, EQ is stronger. And slash it next to Superpower, as the two really don't have the best of coverage together.

Just a few nitpicks. :)

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
Thanks, meant that to SpD to be Spe. Oops.
I see, Superpower gets no boost, but still powerful. Too bad.

Desolation @ Life Orb
EV: 252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Moves:
2: Superpower/Earthquake
4: Fire Punch/Headbutt?(filler, the others cover most problems)

If this has EQ then Bulldoze is redundant so he needs a new filler I guess Fire Punch? Not sure what would be best.

Either way EQ or Superpower, they take good care of Heat which might otherwise ruin this set.

I suppose Headbutt could be used for neutrality but just for Filler, The three moves above it do a good enough job.

BTW if the name Desolation doesn't make sense to you consider that Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Rock Slide massacres a good many threats, leaving nought but destruction in Hihidaruma's wake. (I use Hihidaruma over Darmanitan because the japanese name is cooler.) :D

LatiosPwnzor

Hmmm.... I actually really like this thing. That Attack is monstrous, and base 95 speed isn't too bad, so:

Darmanitan@ Choice Band/Choice Scarf/ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant(+Atk/-SpA)/Jolly(+Spd/-SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
Probably is going to be Darmanitan's most used set. Choice Band makes Flare Blitz a gateway to Hades, while Choice Scarf can actually make Darmanitan into a pretty effective revenge killer. Life Orb Flare Blitz offers zero recoil with Sheer Force, which is nice. Daramanitan is a pretty effective user of the Rock/Ground type combo, since Flare Blitz can blast its few resistors into oblivion.

Darmanitan @ Leftovers
Modest Nature (+SpA/-Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA/ 132 Def/ 128 SpD
-Substitute
-Fire Blast/ Flamthrower
-Grass Knot/ Solarbeam/
-Focus Blast/Will-O-Wisp/ Flame Charge
I felt bad when I saw how many options Darmanitan has specially. Oh well. Substitute is mandatory on this set to bring your HP to Zen Mode. The choice between Fire Blast and Flamethrower is a common one, however Darmanitan's Sky-High Sp.Atk when he's in Zen Mode may gear you more towards Fire Blast. Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and your Grass move give you......OK coverage I guess. Speaking of your Grass move, you can choose the predictability of Solarbeam or the unreliable power of Grass Knot, but if you have sun support handy this is a no-brainer. If you don't really care that much about coverage, you can trade Focus Blast for Will-O-Wisp for physical attackers, or Flame Charge to boost your speed (although it may have to be used several times in order for you to outpace anything). Finally, I would suggest going defensive with the EVs since once you're Zenned out you really are a rock with that base 55 speed. However if you want to get your Substitutes in fast you can go for a 252/252 EV spread.

Sorry to anyone who posted these sets first, but thank you, reader of this post, for reading this far :D

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
Not Bad. He could function as a revenge killer. Which only reinforces my previous point that he is not meant to last in a battle. Why did I not think of making him a Revenge Killer?!

Oh well. Good job on the sets.

Zachmac

Just a suggestion. Since the sitris berry restores 25% percent HP, a sub+zenmode set could use it and go up to 75% HP, so that should also be an option for all those sets.

LatiosPwnzor

^ Forgot about that, but I don't know where that could go on one of his sets. I mean, there is no getting in the way of the EdgeQuake combo with what is essentially a 90% accurate stone edge and earthquake. Then, is he really going to appreciate U-Turn over Superpower? That is the big question. Perhaps a Choice Band set would like it > superpower (playing sort of a Scizor-type game), but all his other sets I believe are overbooked. Zen mode would love it if it wasn't for pursuit breaking through substitutes.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Hm, as stated earlier, it could take advantage of u-turn.
Jolly or adamant/252att/252speed
Encorage/Choice scarf
-FlareBlitz
-U-turn
-Rockslide
-Earthquake

Anyway, what about a Choice banded, adamant, max attack one, used flame charge? How poweful would that be? Could it sweep in a team with a ninetales to cause sunlight?

Last edited:

ITG_321

Well, if we're making suitable movesets for him, we should keep UU in mind as in OU he is simply outclassed by Speed Boost Blaziken.

Also, have we established that Zen Mode isn't worth using, right?

Yeah, Darmanitan probably needs Scarf to have decent use as Base 95 speed doesn't cut it in OU.

jespoke

Nintendo Stalker
Darmanitan's options:

-Physical attacker: Perfect with Sheer Force and the 140 at

-Special attacker: After activating Zen form, it has 140 sp at

-Mixed attacker: Belly Drum to Zen form, and you have 140 sp at and 120 at

-Items (Sheer Force): Band or Scarf ad to its sweeping, but when you use a Sheer Force move, Live Orb wont recoil, making it an perfect option.

-Items (Zen mode): If substitute is used to activate it, you should use Sitrus Berry or Wise Glasses or something like that, if you use Belly drum you can also use Leftovers

-Physical moves: (All calculations with life orb, as physical sets work best with the Life orb-Sheer Force combo)

-Fire Stab: Flare Blitz is a powerful all out move with fits Darmanitan, but doesn't get the Sheer Force boost and Life orb damage removing, effects with make Fire Punch a safer option. Its 234 power + recoil and life orb damage or 195 power effect-less.

-Rock Slide covers good, and gets the boosts making it 130 power 90 acc against Stone Edge's 130 power 80 acc + Life orb recoil

-Earthquake may not get boosts, but Bulldoze boosted only has a power of 104 against 130 + life Orb recoil of Earthquake

-Neither Superpower or Hammer Arm get the boost. In a Physical set you should go Superpower, but in case of a Mixed set, you should take Hammer Arm, because of Zen mode's bad speed.

-U-Turn is handy for a Choice set. Nothing more or less.

-Headbutt is neutral covering move with gets the boost, but its mainly filler.

-Special moves

-Fire Stab: Flamethrower or Fire Blast, bla bla bla... youve probably heard it all before

-Psychic Stab: Psychic is the only viable move here.

-Focus Blast covers and is strong

-Grass Knot or, in case of a Sun team, Solarbeam, can be used for covering bulky waters and stuff

Last edited:

TheAwesomeOne

You don't have to post 4 Sheer Force Boosted moves on a set.
People are to in love with the no Life Orb Recoil thing.

(Sorry, my computer froze, and produced two copies of this).

Last edited:

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
You don't have to post 4 Sheer Force Boosted moves on a set.
People are to in love with the no Life Orb Recoil thing.

(Sorry, my computer froze, and produced two copies of this).

Well Darmanitan isn't that flexible, so the POTW will most likely look like 3 Sheer Force sets and a Zen Mode set.

^ Forgot about that, but I don't know where that could go on one of his sets. I mean, there is no getting in the way of the EdgeQuake combo with what is essentially a 90% accurate stone edge and earthquake. Then, is he really going to appreciate U-Turn over Superpower? That is the big question. Perhaps a Choice Band set would like it > superpower (playing sort of a Scizor-type game), but all his other sets I believe are overbooked. Zen mode would love it if it wasn't for pursuit breaking through substitutes.

Well, considering that Superpower and Earthquake don't have the best coverage together, you could just drop one for U-Turn. Don't forget that Superpower gets really good coverage with Rock Slide too.

Status
Not open for further replies.