• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the week, and this time we have a Unova Pokémon

617.png

It's Accelgor, one of the fastest Pokémon to ever have existed. Using its speed, it is capable of quite a lot!

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/617.shtml

Go nuts

Lucario Fan

Ability: Sticky Hold
Item: Focus Sash
Moves: Bug Buzz, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast

Masterglitch

Accelgor is the fastest pokemon that can learn Me First. If used correctly, you can smack a powerful pokemon around if you know the opponent is weak to one of their own moves. Also with that extra speed it can be set up to do major damage before anything else attacks with its relatively high special attack. Just don't get hit or you will be taking tons of damage. It would also be fun just to max it's hp to whatever it can reach and use final gambit on something that you know has your health or less and is being a real pain. I would also try out unburden. If a speed deoxys came in I'd get rid of my item and beat it in speed by doubling my own. A good pokemon to try and master for the long run, in my opinion.

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Mild
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Moveset:
- Guard Split
- Recover
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

A slight gimmick, but it could work. Send Accelgor out on a pokemon with high defence and special defence stats, and use Guard Split. You're terrible defensive stats (lowered more by the mild nature) are then given in echange for much better ones. Then, combined with the HP EV investment and a bunch of defensive moves and leftovers, Accelgor becomes quite a bulky threat. Especially with STAB bug buzz and Giga drain dealing damage and healing you further.

Green_platinum

Ability: Hydration / Unburden
Item: Focus sash
252HP/4SpA/252Spe
Jolly/Hasty Nature

Spikes
Yawn
U-Turn
Bug buzz

Accelgors excellent speed make it great for setting up spikes, simply swap in and use yawn to encourage your foe to swap out otherwise just use spikes. U-turn allows a quick escape with accelgor's speed and Bug buzz deals some damage. Entry hazards, weather and status all break accelgor's focus sash making it difficult to get up 3 layers in a single game so these threats need to be considered. Also priority is a big problem as it can KO as accelgor attempts to U-turn to safety. Hydration is excellent on a rain team as it allow spikes to be set up even when toxic spikes are set, as well as granting more opportunities to swap in. While unburden grants easier escape with U-turn. Nature is basically if you want a stronger U-turn however it wont change very much in terms of damage dealt.

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
Accelgor @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Unburden/Sticky Hold
252 Hp/252 Spe/4 something
-Me First
-Final Gambit
-Encore
-Yawn

Just to annoy the pponent, even when they're at +2 speed ;)

Mr Spaz

Loading title. Please wait.
Moves: Spikes
Encore
Yawn
Bug Buzz is to stop you from being taunt bait
EVs: 252 HP
4 Special Attack
252 Speed
Nature: Timid

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
All-Special
Unburden/Sticky Hold w/ Lum Berry/Life Orb/Leftovers
Timid/Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Bug Buzz/Signal Beam
Focus Blast
Sludge Bomb/Giga Drain/Energy Ball
HP [Fire/Flying/Rock/Dark/Ghost]/Gastro Acid

Partners
Reflect/Light Screen-users

Countering
High Attack and Sp Defense with Fire/Rock/Flying-type moves like Fire Punch Dusknoir, Flareon, Gallade, Head Smash Scrafty, Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, Iron Fist Hitmonchan, Aerial Ace Escavalier, or Dragonite.

Last edited:

MetalVolt

:617:
OK, let me just make one thing perfectly clear guys. I LOVE Accelgor; the typing, the design, the blistering speed and movepool adds up to a very unique and powerful Pokemon. Despite this, the poor ninja sits around the RU Tier alongside his counterpart, Escavalier. That doesn't necessarily mean Accelgor is bad, as his high speed can truly help against forces, while also setting up with moves like Spikes. If you want an interesting Pokemon that can set up fast and hit hard, why not try Accelgor for once?

Escargot
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain
-Spikes/Encore
-Hidden Power Rock
Item Attached: Choice Specs/Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold/Hydration
EV's/Nature:
252 Spe/252 SpA/4 HP
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

This set takes advantage of what makes Accelgor so great: His ability to set up, blistering speed and nice offensive stats combined with a good movepool.
Bug Buzz is your standard STAB Attack, with a nice 90 BP to deal with threats such as Whimsicott, Snover, Absol, Lilligant, and the two pixies of Uxie and Mespirit. Giga Drain is your other reliable move, as it provides decent coverage of Slowking, Sandslash, Rhydon, Quagsire, and heals Accelgor as he uses it. It also can take advantage of predictions, as your opponent could switch into something like Crawdaunt, only to have it dented by both coverage moves. Spikes is your standard set-up move, taking advantage of Accelgor's speed to set up quickly for as long as you can, while Encore is an easy stall bait move, as you can take advantage of a set up Pokemon like Uxie or other Accelgor. Finally, Hidden Power Rock is for flying types who could get in your Ninja bug's way, like Mandibuzz, Moltres, or for Fire Types in general like Typhlosion. The item you want all really depends on you. With Specs, you can work with that nice base 100 Sp. Atk, while Leftovers is for the types that like healing and not being locked into moves.

Other Options:
Yawn can be used as an alternative to Spikes or Encore, although it is not seen that often compared to the rest of Accelgor's moveset.
Focus Blast is there for alternative resistances like Cinccino and Aggron, although the 70% Accuracy does make it unreliable.
Acid Armor is a good support move, as it help increase Accelgor's pitiful 40 base defense to a moderate level.
Finally, Me First is quite an annoying move, as it can take advantage of any moves the opponent was going to use, whether supporting or offensive.

Counters and resistances:
While a base 100 Sp. Atk is nice, Accelgor doesn't have overwhelming power, so high Sp. Def Pokemon like Cryogonal can laugh at anything Accelgor throws at it with maybe Hidden Power Rock. Other special walls like Roselia, Drapion and Mandibuzz can easily wall the poor Ninja as well. Taunt users can also come in and halt all set-up Accelgor can do, but Accelgor's speed guarantee's at least one layer of spikes before it dies. Entei is also a great example of a check for Accelgor, as it can come in with a powerful Fire-Type move and absorb all other moves except Hidden Power Rock, or OHKoing it with a nice ExtremeSpeed. Status conditions are also Accelgor's worst nightmare, especially paralysis, as it halts all niche this set has, unless you have rain + Hydration going, which is nice. If your making an RU Team, be careful for this dangerous bug, as it's likely not leaving any time soon.

MetalVolt

@Sbktdreed
Countering
High Attack and Sp Defense with Fire/Rock/Flying-type moves like Fire Punch Dusknoir, Flareon, Gallade, Head Smash Scrafty, Rollout Ferrothorn, Hitmontop, Hitmonlee, Iron Fist Hitmonchan, Aerial Ace Escavalier, or Dragonite.

Ferrothorn can't be used in RU. Are you referring to Ferroseed w/ Rollout, or Accelgor in OU?

Last edited:

Luthor

Shelmet lc set

abiltities Hydration/shell armor
item evolite
Bug Buzz/signal beam/ struggle bug- main STAB options bug buzz is probably preferable.
Recover-provides healing
acid armor- increase defence
Spikes/ toxic/yawn-main status options

other options
hidden power- prives some type diversity
giga drain- provides some healing
Swagger a status option I guess
Protect-could work with toxic.
leftovers-probably inferior to evolite in this case

shelmet plays very differently to accelgor. it's more defensive.

FantasyLegend

Elite Four
I think Accelgor's in RU? Don't know, but this guy's a boss. With blistering Speed and a decent Sp. Attack, he can outspeed pretty much everything without a Choice Scarf.

Suicide Lead
Accelgor @ Focus Sash/Leftovers
252 HP, 4 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe)
Bug Buzz
Spikes
Final Gambit
Hidden Power Rock/Focus Blast

Suicide Accelgor. Set up Spikes if you can, or Final Gambit to destroy a potential threat. With max HP, it can wreck a spinner. Only attack if you know you can KO or if you have a legitimate reason.

Last edited:

Furret Master

Champion Seeker
Overview:
Accelgor is literally the 5th fastest Pokemon in the game in terms of raw stats, only beaten by 3 forms of Deoxys and Ninjask. This is always good for offensive Pokemon, as not needing to boost Speed most of the time means that its other stats can be focused on. Accelgor also has a base 100 Sp. Attack, which is quite good. So what places Accelgor in lower tiers? First, its typing leaves it weak to Stealth Rock, and Accelgor is hit by the other entry hazards. Second, while Accelgor is fast and powerful, its 80/40/60 defenses are not that great, so it's easy for Accelgor to get worn down if it can't KO opponents. Third, Accelgor's abilities are not the best around, so it gets little aid from them. Finally, Accelgor's movepool is not the best around, which can sometimes make it hard to work with. Nevertheless, Accelgor is a huge threat with its blazing Speed and good Sp. Attack.

Abilities:
Hydration: Heals major status conditions when the weather is rainy. A good ability, but Accelgor is not a defensive Pokemon, which means it's not likely to be the best choice.
Sticky Hold: Prevents Accelgor's Hold Item from being stolen. This is Accelgor's best choice, since this protects it from Trick users from messing with Accelgor.
Unburden: Once Accelgor consumes its Hold Item, its Speed doubles. Some Pokemon can really use this ability, but Accelgor is so darn fast that it's practically useless (except maybe on a gimmicky set).

Movesets:

All-out Attacker:
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power [Rock]/HP [Ground]
-Focus Blast
-Giga Drain
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

This set is meant to make Accelgor into a lightning fast hitter. Bug Buzz is Accelgor's main move that receives a same-type-attack-bonus, and the possible chance to drop the opponent's Sp. Defense is nice. The Hidden Power type comes down to hitting the Flying-types or Poison and Steel-types that would resist all of Accelgor's other moves. Focus Miss gets extra coverage to hit Steel-types that would love to wall Accelgor. Giga Drain rounds things out with decent power as well as some recovery that will help keep Accelgor alive.

Life Orb is the item of choice, as it boosts the power of moves without locking into a single move. The EVs maximize Accelgor's offenses with the extra being thrown into HP.

Utility:
-Substitute
-Encore
-Baton Pass
-Bug Buzz
EVs: 208 HP, 48 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

This set lets Accelgor's teammates set up and sweep. Substitute blocks attacks and status, while Encore locks opponents into a move. After this, Baton Pass can pass the Substitute to a teammate who needs to set up for the sweep. Bug Buzz is the STAB move of choice to keep Accelgor from being Taunt bait.

Leftovers are used to give Accelgor recovery from the loss of HP due to using Substitute. The nature is the same as before, but the HP is heavily invested in to make the Substitutes bigger.

Other Options:
-Spikes is really useful, and Accelgor's Speed will almost always allow for at least one quick layer.
-A lead set can be run with Spikes and Final Gambit, but this is a bit more on the gimmick side of things.
-Choice Specs can be run on the first set instead of a Life Orb, since the extra power is helpful on Accelgor.

Checks and Counters:
Since Accelgor is so fast, it's very difficult to get it before it gets you. Strong physical priority like Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet, and ExtremeSpeed will really hurt or even KO Accelgor due to its low Defense. In general, special walls or Pokemon that resist Accelgor's moves are great, since Accelgor is not overly powerful. Finally, status will wear down Accelgor quickly. Paralysis is especially potent because Accelgor's main draw is its Speed, so it is not nearly as useful without it.

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
He/She Will Accelgor Else!

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Suicide lead
Timid EV's 252 HP, 252 Speed
Choice Scarf
Sticky Hold
Final Gambit
Giga Drain
Bug Buzz
Focus Blast

Mainly just fodder off accelgor with final gambit, sticky hold is so nothing miraculously tries to trick you, look out for priority moves though, choice scarf is to make sure no super fast scarfers somehow outspeed you, other moves are just fillers

Kraleck

Abilities:
-Hydration is pretty good if your Opponent has to rely on Status Effects and pairs well with Hidden Power (Water).
-Sticky Hold is always a solid Ability.
-Unburden is a bit of a waste in most situations, but it makes you practically impossible to outrun.

Stats:
-HP is Above Average. Unusual for a Bug Type, but it's dragged through the mud by its defenses. At least you get a decent hit out of Final Gambit.
-Attack is Below Average. Not a problem though.
-Defense is Abysmal. Not many Fully-Evolved Pokemon can boast that rating in a Stat...nor want to.
-Sp.Atk is Great. No doubt what main role Accelgor plays.
-Sp.Def is Bad. You're not going to worry much about that, though because...
-Speed is Beyond Incredible. Few Pokemon can outrun you after a Speed Buff or two.

Movepool:
-Physicals are middling in number, but shouldn't be considered for the most part. Only Quick Attack, U-Turn, and Knock Off show promise. However, in my mind, Knock Off is more of a Status Move with Added Damage than a Damage Move with Added Status.
-Specials are also middling in number, but they're the most useful part of Accelgor's arsenal. Acid Spray, Hidden Power, Bug Buzz, Focus Blast, Final Gambit, Giga Drain, and Energy Ball are the main event. Acid Spray is much like Knock Off in my mind - more of a Status Move with Added Damage than a Damage Move with Added Status.
-Status has plenty of fine items to choose from. Basically, your dessert after ordering the Special. Guard Split can neuter many Tanks, Gastro Acid can wreak havoc with Ability-dependent Pokemon, and the rest - Toxic, Yawn, Me First, Swagger, and Spikes - round Accelgor's small Movepool out nicely.

Small Movepool? Yes, but not bad like most small pools. This pool is deceptively deep, despite not being vast.

Dragonquester

Fear the dragon
Accelgor doubles set
Item: big root
Ability: hydration
Moves:
Giga drain
Struggle bug
Rest
Acid spray

This set is my preferred Accelgor set. This set mainly focuses on crippling the enemy with massive stat downs, and boosting the damage giga drain can do. Acid spray lowers special defense by two levels, making giga drain horribly crippling, and struggle by bug is to soften the damage. This set works best in doubles, but can be used in other formats. Ideally, your partner should know rain dance, so if Accelgor takes a bad hit, he can rest it off and be awake at the end of the turn, fully refreshed. Big root boosts the power of draining moves for more power.

PM me if you like this set!

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Accelgor doubles set
Item: big root
Ability: hydration
Moves:
Giga drain
Struggle bug
Rest
Acid spray

This set is my preferred Accelgor set. This set mainly focuses on crippling the enemy with massive stat downs, and boosting the damage giga drain can do. Acid spray lowers special defense by two levels, making giga drain horribly crippling, and struggle by bug is to soften the damage. This set works best in doubles, but can be used in other formats. Ideally, your partner should know rain dance, so if Accelgor takes a bad hit, he can rest it off and be awake at the end of the turn, fully refreshed. Big root boosts the power of draining moves for more power.

PM me if you like this set!

Cool set, but iirc, big root only boosts the amount of health you get back, not the damage done to the opponent. I'd use a Focus sash because of Accelgor's horrid defenses or a Grass Gem to boost the power of Giga drain by a lot.

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
Accelgor is a decent pokemon. As an attacker.... meh 100 base Spec Attack outclassing many others.
It's HP? Well you could say it is horrible compared to all pokemon in existence. But it is in the top 20 in the RU Tier for HP, meaning you can quickly Final Gambit more than half the tier. In terms of Speed it is amazing, the top of the RU tier! Meaning you can quickly set traps, set up or screw around

Abilities:
Hydration: Would mostly be ideal if you were using Rest (Why would you?), or if you were a physical attacker. Getting toxiced? Well it's ok as you would get KO'ed before the toxic even makes it to the 3rd round as Accelgor's defenses are paper thin. If you want to prevent paralysis (the status that ruins the purpose of Accelgor), then sure use this ability.
Sticky Hold: Just use it
Unnerve: Oh HELLL No

Since Attacking sets have mostly been covered, I will get the defensive ones.

Private Accelgor
Leftovers or Focus Sash
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 SpDef
- Subsitute
- Agility
- Final Gambit/Yawn/Encore/Spikes
- Baton Pass

Your Objective? Get in, be agile, be swift, set up decoys, get the goods then get out. If you have to trick the opponent and make them stall in order to give yourself more time, then do so. If you don't want to get caught in a corner with taunt, then you should make it a suicide mission. If you want a high-stakes mission, set up some spiky booby traps, yet you may be setting yourself up for taunt bait. Once your mission is complete, Baton Pass out and the next soldier will continue for you.

Other viable options (for other movesets):
Guard Swap (NOT SPLIT): If you really want to stay in battle with Accelgor for long periods of time, I recommend Guard Swapping (presumable ones like Aggron for example) with your foe then wiping the floor with them if they are dumb enough to stay in. Guard Swap will make you fast, defensive and a decent threat if you are running the offensive sets
Power Swap: I recommend using one or the other as I am not sure how much Accelgor needs another move slot. If you find its special attack is not enough for you, try swapping it with the foe, in order to do more heavy hits.
Me First: See the thing is that Lucario can run it much better because it can be both physically and specially offensive. So no matter what attacking move you get, Lucario can do a heavy hit, but the hit might not be super or regularly effective.. That being said, the success of Accelgor and Me First heavily depends on the opponent's attack being Specially offensive and a type which can really be used against them.

Puns:
It Will Accelgor Else
Accelgorate your breath
Always have a protective Shelmet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.