• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and we're back to randomly decided ones

213.png

This week, we have the classic Johto Pokémon, Shuckle. Shuckle has the highest defences in the game!

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/213.shtml

Go nuts

Chinonso

Therians
Oh god no, not Shuckle. Quite possibly one of the most irritating Pokemon to face to date and another weird one to come from Generation 2. It's basically a one-trick pony, albeit a very good trick.

Positives:
+ Base 230 Defence and 230 Special Defence are astoundingly high, and is officially the highest in the game. Seriously, you'll be laughing when you can take almost any hit in the game and not be 2HKO'd.
+ Sticky Web worked wonders on Shuckle, and gave it a new role in battle, instead of just being a Toxic staller.
+ It has an amazing defensive movepool including the likes of Sticky Web, Stealth Rock and Infestation.
+ I guess Contrary is a decent ability, and so is Sturdy, but neither of them are particularly amazing on Shuckle.
+ Very good at being very, very annoying.

Negatives:
- Shuckle is shut down by Magic Bounce, Taunt and Tricking Choice items, all of which severly hinder Shuckle from completing its job.
- Pokemon that can manipulate Sticky Web, such as Bisharp, also cause major problems for Shuckle.
- Aside from its defences, the rest of its stats are horrible. Base 20 HP severely hinders its bulk, Base 10 Attack and Special Attack give it no offensive presence (unless you use Power Trick or Acupressure, which is luck based).
- Base 5 Speed makes it the slowest in the game, tied with Munchlax, unless you run Trick Room, which it can't learn.
- Lack of reliable recovery.

Abilities:
Sturdy: The Pokémon will remain with 1 HP if it was going to be knocked out by a move when at full Hit Points, and it is immune to One Hit KO moves. This is a decent ability and probably the best one to go for, as it's the most reliable of the three. Also, Shucklwe doesn't have amazing bulk, so being overpowered by, say, a +3 Manaphy Scald can be prevented by having this ability.
Gluttony: The Pokémon will use a berry when its Hit Points are below 50%. Can be useful in a couple of situations (berries that boost stats etc.) but it's pretty situational, so I'd take a pass.
Hidden Ability (Available):
Contrary: Moves used on the Pokémon that raise stats lower the stats, while the moves that lower the stats raise the stat. This would normally be an amazing ability, just not on this Pokemon. It makes Acupressure sets completely unviable as they just lower stats, and its offensives are so bad, that an Intimidate boost won't really help it.

Moveset:
Everyday I'm shucklin'
Stealth Rock
Sticky Web
Infestation
Knock Off

EV's: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 SpD
Impish Nature
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Mental Herb / Leftovers.

There isn't much that Shuckle can honestly do, given its weird stats, so just throw together something that's hyper defensive (with Knock Off just incase) and you can annoy your opponent to high heavens. Maybe then you could complete a match without the opponent disconnecting in rage.

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Hidden Ability (Available):
Contrary: Moves used on the Pokémon that raise stats lower the stats, while the moves that lower the stats raise the stat. This would normally be an amazing ability, just not on this Pokemon. It makes Acupressure sets completely unviable as they just lower stats, and its offensives are so bad, that an Intimidate boost won't really help it.

There is actually one use for Contrary on Shuckle; Shell Smash. Contrary + Shell Smash = Shuckle buffing its defenses a la Cosmic Power while taking a hit in its worst stats that you weren't really using anyways. If you think Shuckle is bad normally try one at +2 in both defenses... or +4.... Or +6. Of course such a set has Shuckle hit the 4 moveslot Syndrome hard.

Smashing Shuckle

Shuckle is one of the bulkiest Pokémon in the game... by necessity. It would be too pathetic otherwise. Even then, taking down Shuckle is a chore. Again super effective moves are the simplest way to go, of which, Shuckle has only 3: Powerful Rock type attackers (Mega Heracross, Mega Aerodactyl), Steel type attackers (see Metagross -needs Choice Band or Meteor Mash Attack boost), and Water type attackers (Mega Blastoise, Feraligatr, Gyarados, and Mega Swampert) can all reliably 2HKO the sturdy wall. As Shuckle is a very passive pokémon, setup Sweepers can have a field day with it, boosting up to max before sweeping through the enemy team... Though a way to mitigate poison is recommended, as Shuckle often carries Toxic as a method to discourage such attempts and do damage. Magic Bounce users like Mega Sableye, Mega Absol, Espeon and Xatu are all banes to Shuckle, bouncing any entry hazards it attempts to setup back to its own side and even potentially dooming itself with its own Toxic. Taunt and Tricking an Choice Item as mentioned before ruins anything Shuckle can do and will force it to swap/ruin it for the rest of the match. Magic Guard users also have little to fear from Shuckle and can wear it down in a battle of attrition if need be. Rapid Spin, while doing absolutely nothing to Shuckle, removes its entry hazards. Finally, Shuckle is most vulnerable to its favored form of offense: Passive damage. Stealth Rock and Spikes can take huge chunks out of Shuckle's HP, Toxic is a death sentence for any Shuckle without Rest/Lum Berry, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
As Shuckle is a very passive pokémon, setup Sweepers can have a field day with it, boosting up to max before sweeping through the enemy team.
Please note that Shuckle gets Encore, and in fact that move is basically required to prevent it from turning into setup bait. So be very wary with your boosting moves!

Shuckster

Shuckle All The Way!
Oh, Mama! One of my favorite Pokemon! It's in my name for Pete's sake!

Anyway, it's primary set (Hazards) has already been mentioned, so I might as well list it's gimmick set. Not that's it's any good, hence the gimmick part, but it does work decently in Trick Room.

Power Trick
Power Trick
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Knock Off/Gyro Ball

Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense

You use Power Trick ASAP so you can switch your Attack and Defense stats, giving you a base 230 Attack, and then profit (good luck.) EdgeQuake has some of the best coverage out there, hitting most Pokemon for neutral or super effective damage. Since Shuckle doesn't have that many more offensive options, Knock Off fits well in the last slot as utility for crippling switch in or other such walls that rely on their items. Base 5 Speed means everything can outspeed you, and this means that Gyro Ball will in many cases will be near or at maximum damage, and a base 150 power coming off of 614 Attack stat with essentially no side effects is scary. It is worth noting that Stone Edge deals the same amount of damage as a max powered Gyro. So it's pretty redundant.

Study is the preferred ability as it will allow you to survive 1 fatal physical Attack without falling. Life Orb gives you extra fire power. But if you don't wanna die right after activating Sturdy, Lum Berry is an option to cure burns and other stray status. Another option for the last move slot could also be Encore to help Shuckle set up better.

Other Options
Not much, since Shuckle's movepool is pretty shallow, and doesn't really have room to wiggle anyway.

Power Split averages the user's and target's Attack and Special Attack stat. This almost always means Shuckle gains some power, while the target loses power, allowing it to cushion blows while giving it slightly more damage.
Gastro Acid eliminates the opponent's ability. Many Pokemon rely on their ability, and taking them away from some Pokemon can really hurt their usefulness. Unfortunately the effect wears off after switching, limiting it's usefulness.
Shell Smash with the ability Contrary means you gain extra defenses at the cost of stats that are irredeemable. This makes Shuckle more annoying and hard to take down.
Rest is Shuckle's only form of recovery, and cures status. With a Chesto/Lum Berry, it can act immediately afterward. But this means missing out on Leftovers or Mental Herb in addition to missing out on a utility move.
Safeguard Prevents status for everyone for a few turns, which is useful for both itself and it's team.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Power Trick is a gimmick because you get immediately murdered.

pika250

When I was talking Pikachu (the previous PotW alongside its evolved form Raichu), I was thinking, what Pokémon would have a base hp less than its 35, but the defenses to make it worthwhile? Defenses that don't need a held item to be buffed? Alongside unusable offenses (outside things like power trick) and trick-room level speed? Quite the opposite to Pikachu's good-but-not-fantastic speed (90) and offenses that rely on its held light ball? There's only one Pokémon that fits the bill perfectly, and it happens to be this little guy here.

My set for Shuckle:

Shuckle w/ Chesto
252 hp, split defenses relaxed/sassy (so as to have 553 in each defense)
IVs 31/0/31/x/31/0
contrary ability
Shell smash
Toxic
Infestation
Rest

At least that's how I recall it. The spat IV was 4 in my case

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Just going to put this out here right now, don't bring up Chansey + Shuckle in Doubles. That's a terrible strategy that never works against real teams.

Also the only real viable use Shuckle has is as a Sticky Web lead thanks to actually being bulky and having ways to avoid being total setup bait. Power Trick is useless when you're still outsped by everything ever, and while it does have Acupressure that's incredibly luck reliant and not worth it. Shuckle is a gold mine of gimmicks that seem amusing in theory, but at the end of the day it's just barely above mediocre.

SaurusHam

Mawile w/ Fire Blast
Shuckle is a pokemon whose viability is directly proportional to the pokemon it's supporting.

Being a pokemon that pretty much guarantees sticky webs to be on the field having teammates that deter defog such as defiant or competitive users and spin blockers to keep your hazards on the field are helpful.

Shuckle most favors to be on a hyper offensive team where it can get hazards up fast, disrupt the team with encore or toxic, and to die and move on to the next pokemon to keep up the pressure. Slower but powerful pokemon gain the most from shuckle's utility but pokemon that almost reach the higher speeds of the tier also gain tremendously from sticky webs. Pokemon that deal with the tier's resident flying and levitaters are also advised.

It should also be noted that encore and mental herb are pretty much required to be on shuckle.
Encore to prevent set-up bait and mental herb so you can't be taunted or encored.

Shuckster

Shuckle All The Way!
Power Trick is a gimmick because you get immediately murdered.

True dat. But besides Sticky Web/Stealth Rock/Infestation/Encore, what else is there to really mention about it that hasn't already been said? Shuckle may be my main compadre, but it is pretty specific in what it has to offer as a niche.

Snoo

Work Hard, Play Hard
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~Sticky Web
~Stealth Rock
~Encore
~Infestation / Toxic / Knock Off

Your typical standard OU set.

KillerDraco

True dat. But besides Sticky Web/Stealth Rock/Infestation/Encore, what else is there to really mention about it that hasn't already been said? S.

Well, even if you do wanna post gimmicky sets, you can always quote gimmicky sets and why they DON'T work. You know, pointing out the obvious flaws of gimmicks that often see the light of day in the lower parts of the ladder, and why you shouldn't use them, and what to use instead (in the case of an offensive Shuckle, the answer is "literally anything else"). After all, at the low levels of the ladder, you do see a lot of people who don't know better trying to pull off things like offensive sets on defensive Pokemon, since at the low levels of the ladder sometimes you can get away with gimmicky sets, which can act as a reinforcer. Often times it's best to explain why the junk that works against the terrible players at the bottom of the ladder doesn't work against the better players you encounter as you climb the ladder. You and I may know why it's bad, but it's not always immediately obvious to the newer players.

So for the sake of explanation of those who may not know, the problem with Power Trick is that although it may be tempting to think of that base 230 defense becoming a base 230 attack, it does nothing to remedy that awful base 5 speed tier, and you're suddenly left with awful 20/10 physical bulk. This really allows just about anything to murder Shuckle, especially since there's plenty of things with enough bulk to survive a Power-Tricked attack if they need to switch in. It can be remedied to an extent by Trick Room, sure, but this presents other problems in that Shuckle can't set up Trick Room itself, and the short duration of Trick Room means there's very little room for payoff. It's an extremely high maintenance attempt at dealing damage that's really just easier to accomplish by having any other physically offensive Pokemon use Swords Dance, since they ALL have better speed and will be able to take physical hits better since they don't sacrifice bulk to set up (except maybe Shell Smashers but that's another can of worms since it comes with Speed as well, and most use White Herb to offset the defense drops).

aQrator

Question: Does Power split stack with power trick? So, when you split with Deo-A to get base 95 atk, then power trick, does that base 95 atk become base 95 def? If so, a set with EdgeQuake Might not be THAT bad of a gimmick... right?

SaurusHam

Mawile w/ Fire Blast
Question: Does Power split stack with power trick? So, when you split with Deo-A to get base 95 atk, then power trick, does that base 95 atk become base 95 def? If so, a set with EdgeQuake Might not be THAT bad of a gimmick... right?

Even if that did work, you're not going to find yourself in a situation to get a substantial boost from power split since most pokemon aren't as powerful as deoxy-a. But let's say you did manage to pull it off without already dying, you still have base 5 speed and 10/95/95 bulk, now trick room can remedy this but at this point you wasted 3 turns doing just about nothing with barely any trick room turns left.
Also, even though power split + power trick leaves with a "better" pay off then just pure power trick it's still a worse gimmick because you dedicate 2 moves to make it work instead of 1 making your 4 move slot syndrome even worse.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
What The Shuck?!
Shuckle@Leftovers
Bold nature
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Sp. Def
~Toxic
~Infestation
~Sticky Web
~Power Split

Shuckle is, to put it mildly, very interesting. Best Defense and Special Defense you could ask for, but its other stats are in the toilet. Including HP, by the way, which seems counterintuitive to such a defensive Pokémon. And yet, Shuckle makes it work. Somehow. Somewhat. So yeah, Toxic and Infestation, they inflict the best kind of damage Shuckle can dish out- passive damage. Also, the latter traps the enemy so it continues to take passive damage. And Shuckle also gets STAB on Infestation, on the off chance you care about that. You can also lay down a Sticky Web, help the rest of the team out. And Power Split, that is a handy little move. What Power Split does is average Shuckle's Attack and Sp. Atk with the target's Attack and Sp. Atk. And considering how horribly low Shuckle's offensive stats are, this is practically cutting the enemy's Attack and Special Attack in half. As if Shuckle wasn't bulky enough, right?

Item heals Shuckle. Ability... uh... guarantees you'll... at least... get off a... Sticky... Web? Because... I don't know, I fail to see what can outright OHKO this thing, but I'm guessing there could be something out there, so yeah, as it stands, this is your best option. I suppose.

Other options:
*Shuckle gets Shell Smash, but instead of using this in a feeble attempt to completely reverse its stats (spoiler; won't work), you can actually use this with Contrary to further buff Shuckle's defenses.
*We've all been tempted to run Power Trick on Shuckle, and I don't think we can be blamed for that, considering what this would do for its physical power. Power Trick switches the user's Attack and Defense, which would make Shuckle physically frail as all hell in exchange for making it hit like a freight train. Better yet, it learns Gyro Ball, which benefits from both the grossly overpowered "Attack" stat and the horrible Speed (seriously, Shuckle is tied with Munchlax for slowest Pokémon ever!), as well as gems like Stone Edge, Earthquake, and I suppose Bug Bite if you need extra STAB or something. It's a set one might consider for a Trick Room team, and I'm sure it can get some good results, but it's a little gimmicky, to say the least.
*If you can find room for it, Shuckle does get Encore.

Abilities:
*Sturdy: If Shuckle is at full health and takes a hit that would OHKO it, it hangs on with 1 HP, and is also outright immune to moves designed to OHKO their targets. This is probably your best bet for Shuckle's Ability. Its selection of Abilities are none too useful. I don't see this getting a lot of use, mainly because Shuckle's too damn bulky to OHKO in most cases, but I suppose there's gotta be something out there that could OHKO it, so yeah.
*Gluttony: If Shuckle's holding a berry that it would eat at 25% health, it instead eats it at 50% health. I fail to see why you would run anything besides Leftovers on Shuckle to begin with, so yeah, this is not the best Ability for Shuckle by a long shot.
*Contrary: Shuckle's Hidden Ability. Shuckle's stats are increased by things that decrease them, and vice versa, including self-inflicted stat changes. Intimidate raises its Attack, Shell Smash boosts Defense and Special Defense while sharply cutting Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, things of that nature. It's an interesting option with Shell Smash, but Shuckle's not likely to have room in its moveset to squeeze that one in. Not a bad Ability in and of itself, but it needs to be on the right Pokémon to realize its potential, and Shuckle is not the right Pokémon.

Partners:
You know all those Pokémon that'd be great with just a little extra Speed, the ones I'm always recommending you use with Sticky Web support? Well, Shuckle is the Sticky Web support. There's many things out there, like Braviary and Krookodile, that would benefit nicely from the Sticky Web Shuckle lays down. Also, considering Shuckle's a defensive Rock-type, it wouldn't be out of place on the same team as the likes of Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Sandstorm damage goes nicely with Toxic and Infestation.

Counters:
Taunt pretty much shuts Shuckle down right then and there. Indeed, considering Shuckle's tied with Munchlax for slowest Pokémon ever, it's more or less impossible to not outspeed it with Taunt.

Opinion:
I honestly love this thing. It's tricky to use, but I love a challenge. Plus, I just like how it looks.

Prediction for next week:
Wobbuffet

KillerDraco

Other options:
*If you can find room for it, Shuckle does get Encore.

Encore should never be an OO; Encore is arguably Shuckle's most important move... well, maybe second to Sticky Web, since Web is its niche, but I digress. Shuckle is total setup bait, especially for things with Substitute, Lum Berry, or Steel and Poison types, which can pretty freely set up on Shuckle without fear of retaliation. Encore, on the other hand, can heavily punish those things that try to set up on Shuckle. If you're using Shuckle, you always want Encore.

Swoobat

Stick to hazards, things like Contrary Shell Smash and Power Trick are ridiculous and don't work on any serious battle.

Shuckster

Shuckle All The Way!
Well, even if you do wanna post gimmicky sets, you can always quote gimmicky sets and why they DON'T work. You know, pointing out the obvious flaws of gimmicks that often see the light of day in the lower parts of the ladder, and why you shouldn't use them, and what to use instead (in the case of an offensive Shuckle, the answer is "literally anything else"). After all, at the low levels of the ladder, you do see a lot of people who don't know better trying to pull off things like offensive sets on defensive Pokemon, since at the low levels of the ladder sometimes you can get away with gimmicky sets, which can act as a reinforcer. Often times it's best to explain why the junk that works against the terrible players at the bottom of the ladder doesn't work against the better players you encounter as you climb the ladder. You and I may know why it's bad, but it's not always immediately obvious to the newer players.

You're right, I'm sorry. I really should have elaborated on how terrible the Power Trick set was. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it lol. I just didn't want to be one of the many posting the same set thirty times. I'll try to remember that next time if I ever post a miserable set. :p

Snorlaxation

Made an account just so I can talk about my favourite ever Pokemon...Shuckle!!

Words cannot describe how much I love this thing, sure it gets rendered useless when faced with taunt. But if you don't get hit with that, Encore/Sticky Web/Toxic etc will annoy your opponent all the live long day!

My trick is I run mine with Quick Claw, because no one ever expects a Quick Claw

Status
Not open for further replies.