• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #124

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patri25

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Hydration
252 Sp.At/Spe
Nature:Timid
Moves:
-Scald
-Rest
-Tail Glow
-Ice Beam

Phione@Life Orb
252Sp.At/252Speed
Nature:Modest
Moves:
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Signal Beam
-HP Ground

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Manaphy is the perfect example of deception of stats. 100 across the board seems mediocre for the Uber tier, but its success lies in its ability and movepool. Its ability is arguably the main reason why its uber: Hydration combined with Rest in the Rain gives it instant full recovery, and with the prominence of Kyogre, this isn't too hard to pull off. The second reason why it was most likely banned was due to its setup move, Tail Glow, which gives it a massive +3 boost to special attack, allowing it to match the power of Uber titans. To a lesser extent, Calm Mind is also a key to its success, which allows it to take some powerful special attacks with the appropriate defensive investment. In all, Manaphy is not to be underestimated.

Tail Glow
Nature: Timid
Item: Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam / Grass Knot
- Rest

With a +3 boost, rain, and possibly a Life Orb, Manaphy is a terror to face, as even without a Life Orb, 252 / 208+ Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd by a +3 Rain-boosted Surf. Tail Glow is the most important move of the set, allowing Manaphy to reach ungodly levels of power in just one turn of setup. Surf will destroy anything that doesn't resist it and even heavily dent some resists. To give you an idea of how powerful it is in rain and with a boost, it 2HKOs Chansey after Stealth Rock. Ice Beam is there mostly to hit things weak to it if you can't get a boost or you're not in rain, as a +3 Surf in rain actually does more to things like Lugia than a +3 Ice Beam. Grass Knot is mostly for Kyogre as it can just barely avoid the 2HKO from a Life Orb +3 Rain Surf. Rest gives it instant full recovery, greatly increasing longevity.

Kyogre is mandatory as a teammate, as it provides rain to boost Surf, and allow Manaphy to instantly wake up from Rest.

Check and Counters
Due to its power, Manaphy doesn't have any true counters, but some come close. Choice Scarf Zekrom can come in on Grass Knot, and destroy any Manaphy with Bolt Strike. Scarf Kyogre can come in on Ice Beam and do a similar job with Thunder, but will lose in the rare occasion that a Calm Mind Manaphy carries Grass Knot.

Changing the weather will be very problematic for Manaphy, as it relies on it to have instant reliable recovery. This especially applies if you switch Groudon in as Manaphy uses Rest, as it will be stuck asleep for two turns while Groudon can possibly KO it, or switch into something else that can kill it. In the Sun, Grass Arceus is probably the best universal counter, as it easily takes all of Manaphy's attacks and can KO with Judgement, or set up on it.

Yay! Hooray! My next post turns out to be one of the cutest Pokemon in terms of Legendary.

If I heard from Smogon Correctly, Manaphy was tested in 5th Generaton OU. With Politoed's dream world Ability, my prediction was completely correct. Manaphy is so Adorable that Even Keldeo and Terraion envies him for being the prince of the sea.

So much for my predictions since I LOVE having Manaphy hangout with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Land Forme Shaymin, and Victini in OU. I mean COME ON! THE ARE SO KAWAII TOGETHER! Damn tier list! Let the little guy join his best buddies.

Ranting aside, if you want a better challenge in Ubers, Have Shaymin Sky and Jirachi face against Arceus, Kyogre, and Groudon. Don't let their small size fool you. THEY CAN scream terror in Ubers when executed properly.

Since the sets are given, I will give the rates of each set.

3rd Place: defensive sets:

Sure you can try playing little ferrothorn. But Mew does that better for me. Sure you can go Scald Stalling. But beware of Opposing Manaphy in return.

2nd Place: Tail Glow Offense

I'm surely going to love owning an Arceus and Kyogre with Manaphy. But unfortunately, if there are two defensive walls that slows down his sweep,it would be ferrothorn (AKA, the water pokemon's bane), and sadly Groudon in a special attack investment (excluding cases you're using scald). Manaphy can normally takes hits in OU. But Ubers would be too much for him. Palkia comes in mind too if our Sea Prince hasn't set up.

1st Place: Calm Mind Versatility

It's important to have scald with you if you want to give manaphy a lucky chance to cripple an Arceus Normal variant + its extremespeed could take a 2 hit ko when possible. Importantly, you want HP and Special attack with you. Manaphy is oftentimes better on attacking choiced Kyogre (except thunder) one on one. Better yet, if you got 2 calm minds, excellent. Just watch out for counters.

Other Moves:

Icy wind - sounds like a gimmick. But if you want to slow down a Sky forme shaymin, this move can help you. Useful on supporting your scarfed Killers behind your team.

If I were to give you guys a challenge when it comes to Manaphy, pair him with the following pokemon: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Sky Forme Shaymin, and Victini. If you can win Ubers with these legendary kids, i give 100% points on both Intelligence and kindness in terms of Pokemon. I mean this team kind of plays you a challenge on keeping the Famous Karen Quote (Strong pokemon. weak Pokemon. That is the selfish perception of people. True trainers win with the pokemon they love best.). Plus, it can give you a reputative bragging rights. Just watch out from Darkrai...

Rayofquazar

Manaphy the cute blue 100 across the board in stats legendary pokemon of the 4th generation. Normally 100 across the board in stats puts it's owner in OU at best. There, they can do extremely well but manaphy oddly plays with the ubers!

Manaphy has a lot of things going for it, the best feature of it is hydration and with the prevalence of politoed and kyogre, it's not a great challenge to keep the weather up and manaphy healthy with rest! Tail glow and calm mind are the other features, setting up and sweeping. Finally, manaphy can pull off a decent defensive set with calm mind to buff up it's special defense and scald to weaken opponent's physical blows and rest to remain healthy while in rain.

Bottom line, there is a manaphy for every situation just beware of ferrothorn because it's too hard to faint it with manaphy!

the Famous Karen Quote (Strong pokemon. weak Pokemon. That is the selfish perception of people. True trainers win with the pokemon they love best.)

Karen's main powerhouse Pokemon are Lick Gengar and Whirlwind Murkrow. She ends up getting trashed by a 10 year old child. Please do not take her advice to heart.

MANaphy@Choice Band
Adamant
Huge Power
252 att
- Waterfall
- Giga Impact
- Acid Armor
- Charm

This set is all about the MANliness of MANaphy. Waterfall is there because cascading waterfalls are manly as ****. Giga Impact is there because impact is a very MANly word. Acid Armor because covering yourself in acid to protect yourself is MANly. Charm is because all true men know how to treat the b*tches.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
MANaphy@Choice Band
Adamant
Huge Power
252 att
- Waterfall
- Giga Impact
- Acid Armor
- Charm

This set is all about the MANliness of MANaphy. Waterfall is there because cascading waterfalls are mainly as ****. Giga Impact is there because impact is a very MANly word. Acid Armor because covering yourself in acid to protect yourself is MANly. Charm is because all true men know how to treat the b*tches.

No offense but i find this as a gimmick set for a Balanced Hackmons game in Pokemon Online. Nowhere else

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
No offense but the fact that you took it seriously at all speaks volumes about your intelligence.

Respectable in all honesty. I mean, I don't know if Manaphy even has Huge power. Maybe I skipped something important on the moveset. Just maybe... it could be that your built set gave me a bit of a shudder. Unnerves me much? What happened to my yyoung prince's cute factor?

Anyway, onto counters:

Top 1: Ferrothorn. I HATE THIS THING WITH A PASSION!. Even Kyogre is scared of this thing.

Top 2: Almost every Arceus forme. Specifically the Normal variant

Top 3, Palkia. If manaphy has no boost with Tail Glow / Calm Mind

Respectable in all honesty. I mean, I don't know if Manaphy even has Huge power. Maybe I skipped something important on the moveset. Just maybe... it could be that your built set gave me a bit of a shudder. Unnerves me much? What happened to my yyoung prince's cute factor?

Anyway, onto counters:

Top 1: Ferrothorn. I HATE THIS THING WITH A PASSION!. Even Kyogre is scared of this thing.

hmu with that weed you're smoking

Honus

Anyway, onto counters:

Please do not troll this thread along with assassinsceptile and shiny magmortar. for one thing, you should be objective when recapitulating Manaphy's counters; "I HATE THIS THING WITH A PASSION" offers no critical value as to why Ferrothorn is a counter making your point therefore moot. As for Arceus, Manaphy is certainly at a loss in the field of combat, although your main fallacy lies in the fact that you emphasized Normal Arceus as its chief counter, when Electric and Dragon Arceii are far superior. In your third point, you make a fairly ludicrous assumption saying Manaphy won't have Tail Glow or Calm Mind given that those 2 moves are the cruxes of its strongest sets and will be present on nearly any Manaphy manned by a serious player.

To offer some value with this post, I behoove you all to observe a powerful and little-known set posted by Jackson12 of Smogon Forums, I feel like this set has the ability to dominate Ubers in the right hands and its being posted on the site can spiral Serebii.net into legitimacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.