• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Absol is a pokemon I've used for Pokemon Online a few times, but I must say, it is one of the few pokemon with access to Snatch and Baton Pass. In today's metagame, everyone is watching out for Shell Smash or Quiver Dance, and Absol going up against the right pokemon can prove to put your team in a favorable position.

Absol@Focus Sash
Super Luck - Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Snatch
-Baton Pass
-Sucker Punch
-Magic Coat

Works as a lead as well. Magic Coat can now reflect Stealth Rock and Spikes, as well as Taunt and status. Mid game, Absol can play mind games against opponents, utilizing Snatch and Sucker Punch to make your opponent worry about boosting or attacking. Snatch Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Cotton Guard, Tail Glow, and once Absol Snatches the right boosts, he can start sweeping himself or pass the boosts to another pokemon who could use them. Magic Coat can also reflect Taunt on opponents hoping to end Absol's guessing game, which also gives Absol the perfect opportunity to use Sucker Punch as it will always succeed after reflecting Taunt.

I haven't used this Absol in a while and have had varying degrees of success here, but anyone is free to use and test this set with their own improvements or alterations. Just tell me how it goes for you and maybe suggest some changes to the set. c:

toaguy101

scizor master
While everyone's mentioning counters such as Lucario and Conkeldurr, we must all remember that Absol's an UU so he won't really need to worry about these because they will probably be tucked in the OU
i read these for movesets FOR the pokemon world championships so ou uu nu or uber i dont care

Zachmac

i read these for movesets FOR the pokemon world championships so ou uu nu or uber i dont care
Absol is about luck and/or prediction, so it won't work well in the world championship....

Really people, support absol? Baton passer I can see, but support? It's defences are just too low. There are plenty of other options, such as Chimecho, and your wasting it's 130 attack and most powerful priority move in the game if you use it as a supporter.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
- Mean Look lets you pass the cage effect to a sweeper.

Actually, Mean Look passing no longer works in 5th Gen.

Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Oh, a set.

Absub

Absol w/JustAboutAnyAbilty + Salac/Leichi Berry
Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Def
Substitute
Sucker Punch
Psycho Cut
Superpower

I think you can guess how this set functions.

Last edited:

Rockleon

Veteren
Did absol get agility yet? no? oh well maybe next gen buddy. Don't feel bad it happened to granbull too. 130 power is good but the rest of his under 75 stats are really ugly to me. I dont think Absol is gonna do anything without a quick thunderwave support. After that he wont have alot of trouble.
I think the sub absol set could work,but its still not gonna last long.

Absol
-
Substitute
NightSlash
Thunderwave/will-o-wisp/RockSlide/pyscho cut
Megahorn
You could run pressure on this set to waste moves on sub.

Also in double/triple. Feraligatr would be a good team mate. Feraligatr learns agility and absol can get psyche up(yeah I know gimmicky). But Feraligatr is fairly bulky and faster than absol. You dont even need agility because feraligatr can use dragon dance instead.
----------------------------------
Edit:
You know what? Absol is actually an excellent shandelure creeper. 130 base power hitting you with a super effective suckerpunch is kinda scary. If your opponent is willing to risk switching you could predict it and sub that way you get a free thunder wave unless a ground type pops ups where at least you can get 2 sucker punches in.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
There's no point in moving first, besides with will-o-wisp if you're just going to get hit anyway. The scarf is a waste, and gives the opponent opportunities to set up. Here's a set for beat up/justified abuse in doubles/triples:

Absol @ Salac Berry
Super Luck
Jolly Nature (+Spd -SpAtk)
EV's: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd

- Endure
- Sucker Punch/Quick Attack
- Night Slash
- Superpower

The idea is to endure while your team mate (such as beat-up weavile) beat-ups absol, giving it +6 attack, and activating salac berry. It will probably die the next turn, but you can get at least one kill, and if you predict correctly you can potentially get more. Perhaps teaming it up with something with follow me would help it survive.

To tell you the truth, I partly put this set up to see if my posts were being skipped or something because I was hoping to get some critiques for any set I put up. I still have no clue what anyone thinks of my original sets on the first page and I would like to know how I am doing.

@ Kindrinda: Baton Passing Mean Look is gone? Looks like Umbreon is taking real estate in the UU tier now. And I was just about to try to make a Baton Pass set :( . Did anything else get unBaton Passable?

Last edited:

Zachmac

Absub

Absol w/JustAboutAnyAbilty + Salac/Leichi Berry
Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Def
Substitute
Sucker Punch
Psycho Cut
Superpower
Seeing the same sets over and over again is getting kind of old...I came up with a similar one earlier, and superpower isn't exactly a good Idea, since it doesn't have a way to restore attack.

Baton pass is a good idea, with both substitute and a Stat boosting berry.
@ Kindrinda: Baton Passing Mean Look is gone? Looks like Umbreon is taking real estate in the UU tier now. And I was just about to try to make a Baton Pass set . Did anything else get unBaton Passable?
I think mean look is about it.

Also, Umbreon is off subject here, unless you say Absol is outclassed by Umbreon.

krizcillz

Flying isn't really a problem to Absol drop Aerial Ace for Swords Dance or Sucker Punch.

meant bug. I definitely wouldn't give it sp. 3x% CHR is much more useful from nighslash imo. Sword Dance maybe, but I like having a cheeky hit from aerial ace here and there. Great at getting that early hit in against Machamp and with its high attack and high CHR it may even get a OHKO.

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
The very first post was the best one here, without a doubt. However, I need to say that Hercross is only a sufficient counter to an SD/Justified/Super Luck Absol if Absol attacks after Heracross. If not, all the good sets that utilize the 1/3 CHR will have Psycho cut which will flat out murder Hera and any other slow fighting type.

Aerial Ace is good against Hera and mostly just Hera. Psycho Cut hits with nearly as much power and takes advantage of the CHR, one in three hits will be critical. Superpower has its uses and could be used over Megahorn if one is paranoid about Luke/Bisharp/Heatran. Its CHR with Night Slash is possibly enough to get away with not using Superpower.

I'm not posting a set because all of the ones I would have posted were posted in the first response. Thus, unlike so many that have already so done in this thread, I simply won't post a set. It would be redundant. I will say that someone might suggest using Destiny Bond on a set. Not particuarly useful, but hey it could work.

Absol should never ever be used as a defensive pokemon, he simply does not have the defensive stats for it to work.

BTW Absol has never and never will weep. He may fall but beware him.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
@ Kindrinda: Baton Passing Mean Look is gone? Looks like Umbreon is taking real estate in the UU tier now. And I was just about to try to make a Baton Pass set :( . Did anything else get unBaton Passable?

Spider Web.

...I think that's it, though.

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
BPing, though I love it myself, is off topic here.

Absol can BP but it is hard to do so even with Substitute because of his weak defenses.

Absol is all about being a powerhouse. Let Absol's friend Umbreon worry about BPing and walling/stalling. That is what it is good at. Absol smashes stuff.

pikamanepicfail45

<dont dis da awsmnes
The last three POTW have been some fails. Anyway,

Absol@Focus Sash/Life Orb
Nature:Adamant(+Atk,-Sp.A)/Jolly(+Spd,-Sp.A)
Ability:Super Luck
EVs:252Atk|252Spd|4HP
-moves-
Snatch
Taunt
Night Slash
Superpower/Psycho Cut/Megahorn/Stone Edge/Fire Blast

What he does is basically uses Snatch to take the effect of a Shell Smash, Quiver Dance,etc. Then Absol uses the extra Speed to use Taunt and prevent them from setting up. The last slot goes to whatever kind of coverage you want-
Superpower-Steel types
Psycho Cut-Fighting types
Megahorn-other Dark types/ quick, frail pokemon
Stone Edge-Bug types
Fire types-common SRers like Ferrothorn and Forretress

Zachmac

^Um, taunt is useless. Once it uses snatch, they won't try to set up after that.

Anyway, it could use psych up on a teammate it double/triple battles...Preferably some bulky dragondancer or agiligross.

Last edited:

CROWN

Quintessant Ruin
I concur with Zachmac and the Awesome One. Taunt is useless after you snatch something. It would be way better for to have an additional attack move.

Fire Blast can only be useful is you did snatch Shell Smash/Nasty Plot otherwise, without a SpA nature and EVs he simply doesn't have the SpA for those kinds of moves. Its too risky/iffy to get those moves to make FB useful.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I concur with Zachmac and the Awesome One. Taunt is useless after you snatch something. It would be way better for to have an additional attack move.

Fire Blast can only be useful is you did snatch Shell Smash/Nasty Plot otherwise, without a SpA nature and EVs he simply doesn't have the SpA for those kinds of moves. Its too risky/iffy to get those moves to make FB useful.

Fire Blast hits Skarmory, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn. Otherwise, I completely agree.

Blazios

If you're looking for UU counters, Cobalion should be able to come in on anything that's not Superpower, possibly gain a +1 Attack Boost thanks to Night Slash (which it also 4x resists), outspeed Absol and KO with Close Combat/Focus Blast. Absol can't even Sucker Punch it thanks to its typing and ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.