• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #132

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen Genesect as a better Scizor recently (it has Speed to actually be an effective attacker). Also, it is unpredictable as it can run either physical or special and has a huge movepool. There is... something... I'm not sure... If this one even works.

The only Techno Blast worth using
-Techno Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
Timid
Douse Drive (for Water Techno Blast)
252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Water Techno Blast hits Fire-types (and little else), Genesect's main problem. Bug Buzz is a good STAB. Ice Beam gets great coverage as well. Flash Cannon gives another STAB, but I'd rather run the incredible BoltBeam combo. If you want to benefit from a better item you can remove Techno Blast (and the Drive, of course) and run the other four moves. Flamethrower is also usable. However, then you're exposed to Fire.

Eaglehawk

Banned
reserved for Abilities and Choice Scarf/Choice Specs set

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
FINALLY

Hasty
Download
Expert Belt / Life Orb
EV's 240 Attack, 16 Sp.atk, 252 Speed
ExtremeSpeed
Blaze Kick
Shift Gear
Iron Head / X-Scissor / HP Ground

Timid
Download
Choice Specs
EV's 252 Sp.atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def
Flamethrower
Ice Beam
HP Ground
Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon

Just a note, Trchno Blast sucks, give it flamethrower, ice beam, thunderbolt, and HP water or something over that thing -_-

MetalVolt

The T-100
-U-Turn
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Bolt
-Flamethrower
Item: Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EV's/Abilities:
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 SPD
Nature: Hasty
(+Spd, -Def)

A Basic Lead for coverage. U-Turn is for scouting and covering special walls such as Chansey and Blissey. The Bolt-Beam set is classic, as it provides nearly unlimited neutral coverage for all opponents to work off of Genesect's powerful 120 Sp. Atk. Finally, Flamethrower is for guys like Fortress, Arceus-Grass, other Genesects, Shaymin-S, and other unorthodox threats like Fortress and Scizor. The item choice is really up to you in this case: Expert Belt is nice for the wide coverage boost, while Choice Scarf makes up for Genesect's Average Speed. The recommended item for this set though is the Expert Belt.

Other Options:
-Bug Buzz: Better for special attacking, but that's about it.
-Giga Drain: Can handle Kyogre and Manaphy, but Thunderbolt does this better. At least you get a small heal.
-Techno Blast: More or less Gimmicky. The small coverage is nice with your drives, but most of your moves provide the same coverage.

Counters and Resistances:
Fire types under the sun of Groudon can easily annihilate the poor little cyber bug, such as Groudon himself, Blaziken, Ho-oh, Kyurem-W and Reshiram. Due to the scouting nature of most sets, Genesect is also highly susceptible to Stealth Rock and Spikes, wittling down the bug until he is nothing but dust. Bulky Ghost Arceus also does a wonderful job at walling Genesect, and is probably the best wall to this Pokemon in the Uber Tier. It can Calm Mind to defend on anything except maybe U-Turn and destroy it shortly.

swirlytoed

Download With Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature +Speed -Defense
Ice Beam
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
U-turn
252/SpA/252Spd/4Atk
This set for Genesect makes a great lead in the Ubers tier. It out speeds all most every pokemon in the Ubers tier. You lead off with it and if you don't like the match up then u-turn or if your match up is favorable then stay in and hit it with a super effective move.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hahaha, yes! Finally something I can work with!

Here's my old 'Sect set I used to use in OU before whiny little kids from Smogon banned it for being broken, despite being virtually hard-countered by practically any Fire-type in the game that isn't weak to Thunderbolt.

649-burn.gif

Genesect @ Life Orb
Modest - Download
172 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 84 HP
-Rock Polish
-Thunderbolt / Giga Drain
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Ground)

Basically shits on ****. Set up a Rock Polish as your opponent switches out to preserve their precious Psychic-typed sweeper, then decimate ****. This set sacrifices STAB for brutal coverage, including being able to OHKO the infamous Heatran, who usually gets in against other Genesect for free. Thunderbolt VS Giga Drain is really superior coverage VS healing ability. I go with Thunderbolt, because he's basically a late-game cleanup sweeper. Ice Beam is just coverage. Get this thing out against a Skarmory and get +1 Sp. Atk and +2 Speed, and your opponent pretty much loses if he doesn't have one of the few things that can claim to counter this set. And even then, those things (I.E. Volcarona) tend to be easy to wear down. 172 EVs in Speed (168 if you're not using Hidden Power) are enough to outspeed virtually any threat after a Rock Polish. Modest + 252 Sp. Atk EVs lets him hit like a truck, even more so if he gets a Sp. Atk boost from Download. The rest are dumped into HP to make him a little bit bulkier.

Of course, all this is now irrelevant cause Smogon banned him. Poor bug. In Ubers he still makes an excellent (albeit extremely predictable) revengekiller.

Last edited:

groudie

groudon&machamp fan
People, THE counter to Genesect is max speed jolly scarfed Palkia with Fire Blast. It outspeeds the scarfer at max speed, and OHKOs. (not sure when rain is up tho) When I see a Gene, I save my Palkia, switch it in, KO Gene. It's that simple.

Swoobat

Please, please, please, no Techno Blast!!! Genesect is much better with a Life Orb, an Expert Belt or (especially) a Choice Item. Techno Blast is cool for in-game but competitively it shows that you are a noob. Genesect excels at its attacking stats, its amazing U-turn, and its great coverage.

People, THE counter to Genesect is max speed jolly scarfed Palkia with Fire Blast. It outspeeds the scarfer at max speed, and OHKOs. (not sure when rain is up tho) When I see a Gene, I save my Palkia, switch it in, KO Gene. It's that simple.

Genesect is very hard to counter because it tends to scout via U-turn. If you swithc in Palkia on U-turn, you will take some damage especially if ther are hazards or Download has given Genesect an Attack boost, and you will lose momentum.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
To all of the responders who hated Lucario Fan in general, I interviewed him about the current problem of his constant first posting in about every Pokemon of the Week. As for the issue of coming in first in every post, my guess -along with his response- was that he/she has a different geographical time and location. Which means, when Serebii introduces a new POTW thread, it must be afternoon at his/her place when the rest of us are still asleep at night time in our real life locations. I told him/her though that he/she must be much more detailed.

Anyways, Back to...

Metal Genesect Solid 6​

Metal Gear Ray, Poke style:
Item: Choice Band
Nature: Hasty (due to event, which sucks for us)
EVs: 252 on both Attack and Speed
Movesets:
-Extreme Speed (You'e too slow!)
-Explosion (BIG BADA BOOM!!!)
-U-turn (False alarm!)
-Iron Head (Shofu: B*tch!!!)

Anyways, since we will have an upcoming badass Sci-fi battle between Mewtwo and the Genesect Rangers (STAR TREK REFERENCES!!!!), this set will do the best it could to mimic on what it might do in the movie. Otherwise, on Pokemon showdown, minus Ash and the gang.

First and foremost. With Extreme Speed, screw you escaping when you're worn out cause you will be motherf*cking dead BEFORE YOU KNOW IT thanks to the +2 priority! Scary thought. Arceus still outrun you though.

When all else fails, commit Kamikazee like a Japanese soldier dying for his nation. OR ... Destroy the whole world like a Nuclear Bomb!

If you find an enemy ready to cook you quickly, you need to scout out the volcanic lands summoned by Groudon. U-turn becomes your friend. While you are not so fast unlike the choice scarf making Genesect "light weight", A band will guarantee you leaving a last minute boom burst.

Iron Head (not dead!) is recommended for best head on collisions against enemies dead ahead. Maybe play hax along like a Shaymin at her sky forme. (It's a terrible choice on flinching though. Jirachi and Skymin do better...)

The cons of this moveset:​
In return, the bulky Project Giratina Alternation 666 A can Will o wisp you badly when locked to extremespeed. Groudon, Aka Earth lizard king, always walks on lava. Expect Inner core Fire for being an earthly pokemon that could just fracture its jet boosters and sandwich it on the mantle.

2406Blackbird

CasualMediocre Gamer
To all of the responders who hated Lucario Fan in general, I interviewed him about the current problem of his constant first posting in about every Pokemon of the Week. As for the issue of coming in first in every post, my guess -along with his response- was that he/she has a different geographical time and location. Which means, when Serebii introduces a new POTW thread, it must be afternoon at his/her place when the rest of us are still asleep at night time in our real life locations. I told him/her though that he/she must be much more detailed.

The first part is completely obvious. Not everyone lives in the same area, we knew about time zones being different and everything (of course he/she could just be lying). Regardless, Lucario Fan would have to be waiting patiently in the afternoon anyway, just to get first. Meaning it is their sole duty to get first. I doubt he/she comes to their computer when it is the evening where they live and just happens to luckily get first post.

The annoying part is the lack of detail and noobish sets. They are completely useless, and are just rage inducing. It also leads others who lack experience in Pokemon to believe that Lucario Fan's moveset is OK, and therefore might base their own sets off of them. For example he lead a train to believe that Techno Blast and Douse Drive are good combos in competitive play. And I'm not saying it's unacceptable and totally out of the question to be used, but I'm saying it is misleading. Also why not explain why use such a combo. Maybe a good argument could prove most wrong and tell us why Douse Drive and Techno Blast are good combos. And explain why use T-Bolt and X-Scissor, or why use such items or EVS or counters or something. A simple moveset is not enough.

Many have talked to Lucario Fan and his/her sole purpose of being alive just to get first post, but most have failed. I don't know how good your persuasive skills are, but I hope that you were enough to talk some sense in this poster. Otherwise they will continue to be just as annoying as usual.

Last edited:

Rayofquazar

I say that you are all raging on a single person that must be an 8 to 10 YO boy/girl... What's so important about first post anyway... Let him/her post what he/she likes and then you guys come and correct the sets...

Back to the analysis... Genesect is a perfect example of how a swarm of bugs can destroy anything, except that this bug works solo! Genesect is terrifying and terrific. It has everything right for it so he can spread chaos.

-Stats: Genesect's stats are amazing... BST of 600 isn't the only thing that it proudly boasts... but, unlike the 100 across the board, genesect's stats are focused on a single aspect and that's attacking! With amazing attack, special attack and speed stats, genesect is one of the best mixed sweepers in the game. On the downside though, Genesect's defenses are thin and really weak by uber standards... Genesect is always 2HKO by extremespeed from a +2ATT Ekiller arceus knowing that the first attack will chip more than 70% of genesect's health. Even with low defenses, genesect continues to be an amazing pokemon due to it's speed allowing it to outspeed and KO lots of slower pokemon that are out to take down that bug!

-Typing: Bug/Steel is a very good typing defensively but genesect doesn't benefit greatly from it's typing resistances due to it's low defenses... A resisted hit can 2HKO if it was strong enough as stated before. The fire type megaweakness can be cut in half by using genesect in a rain team but even in this condition, a decently strong fire type move will still fry the poor bug anyways. Offensively... Both bug and Steel doesn't offer much coverage but both can be used to hit some key pokemon in ubers... Bug stab is particularly useful hitting the multitude of psychic type pokemon in uber notably latias, latios and mewtwo in addition of hitting darkrai hard too. The steel stab is only useful against kyurem but also offers good neutral coverage.

-Ability: Download... Are you kidding?? The best user of this ability hands down... Since it can effectively hit from both it's attacking stats, A boost from download will always be useful boosting further and further this pokemon ability to sweep! Mixed sweepers cannot come better than this.

-Movepool: Bug/stell don't have enough coverage for you? Well genesect is like a move shop where you can buy anything... With a movepool including but not limited to thunder, thuderbolt, ice beam, flamethrower, bug buzz, and giga drain, genesect has all the coverage it needs... With the presence of the always handy U-turn, disruption and confusion will reign on your opponent's strategy and team allowing genesect to escape from a potential counter. Iron head has an added chance to flinch and with genesect's speed it can flinch. The only real downside to it's movepool is techno blast... Being a signature move you would expect more from it but boy!! Even giratina's shadow force is more useful.

-Design: Oh yeah... Killer design worthy of a killer bug.

All in all, with a choice scarf, few things can outspeed it and with U-turn it will quickly disappears from the battle if a counter pops out. Most of the times, genesect will be the last pokemon your opponent will have if you defeated his team... Make sure to keep your counter safe until you safely kill this bug. Overall score: 17/20.

Why do you noobs care if Lucariofan posts first? I can guarantee you that Miror is better than each and every one of you and 99% of the posts in this thread will no affect the POTW at all, with the 1% possibly altering the puns of maybe some random other option.

If Lucariofan wants to post his sets, let him. It doesn't hurt anything except apparently you bunch of butthurt children.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I can guarantee you that Miror is better than each and every one of you and 99% of the posts in this thread will no affect the POTW at all, with the 1% possibly altering the puns of maybe some random other option..

Gee, thanks, way to **** all over our party. :/

Also just remembered this set.

649-burn.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Jolly - Download
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def
-U-Turn
-Iron Head
-Explosion
-Shadow Claw / Zen Headbutt

Gimmicky but fun.​

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Never give up! Strive to become the 1% that people actually listen to!

BlllllllllllllD

Edit: shitting at parties is kind of my thing. Long story.

Cool story bro.

I wanna be the very best, like- *shot*

I'm looking through the moves that the new event gave Genesect... Immediately I see it gets Shift Gear. Hell yes mother****ahs. It also gets Blaze Kick to hit the Steels that usually wall its physical sets (Heatran still shits on him, for some stupid reason he gets neither Earthquake nor even Bulldoze. That's right, Ferrothorn has a better chance against Heatran than this thing.) Extremespeed is nice, but completely unnecessary after a few boosts. However, not all is well for the new and improved Genesect. For one, he's forced to run Hasty instead of Jolly. That leaves him that much weaker to priority users. Although it's nice that he's guaranteed to get 31 IVs in Speed and Attack, the rest are tossups. And, he's forced to be Shiny. But, those minor flaws aside, I see huge potential for a physical attacker set.

649-burn.gif

Genesect @ Leftovers
Hasty - Download
72 Speed, 252 Attack, 184 HP
-Shift Gear
-Blaze Kick
-Iron Head
-X-Scissor / Shadow Claw

Pretty simple, set up some Shift Gears, then beat the **** out of ****. Blaze Kick lets you hammer Steel types that wall your STAB, while the last slot is a toss-up. X-Scissor is a secondary STAB that at least deals some damage to bulky Water types. Shadow Claw gives you a shot to muscle past Giratina and Arceus-Ghost.

Overall, I think this set would have been way more effective if he got it when he was in OU, but still has some potential in Ubers given the right support.​

Why do you noobs care if Lucariofan posts first? I can guarantee you that Miror is better than each and every one of you and 99% of the posts in this thread will no affect the POTW at all, with the 1% possibly altering the puns of maybe some random other option.

If Lucariofan wants to post his sets, let him. It doesn't hurt anything except apparently you bunch of butthurt children.
He totally listens to my sets though :p

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Hasty / Naive - Download
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Flamethrower / Hidden Power Fighting

The typical specialkiller set. Ice Beam, Thunder, Flamethrower and HP Fighting used for coverage against the various types of ubers. U-turn is used for scouting.

Just as a what-if, imagine if Genesect had all its newer toys back when it was still in OU.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd (there's probably a better spread, but I'm to lazy to think one up right now)
Adamant Nature
-Shift Gear
-Iron Head / X-Scissor
-Blaze Kick
-Return / Shadow Claw / EXPLOSION!!!!!

If Genesect is able to get an Atk Download boost, it'll get up to +2 Atk / +2 Spe after a Shift Gear. Once that has happened, Genesect can proceed to destroy pretty much everything it touches. Well, everything besides Heatran, but that has pretty much always been a problem for Genesect, which is why Dugtrio became such a great partner during its reign in OU. The choice of STAB here is probably pretty optional, since I found using Honko's damage calculator that the Iron Head + Blaze Kick and X-Scissor + Blast Kick combos had pretty similar neutral coverage in OU. The main difference is that Iron Head hits Pokemon like Landorus-T and Dragonite harder, while X-Scissor covers a lot of Water-types and such, but I'd give the nod to Iron Head for the flinch chance. Return offers a lot of coverage alongside Iron Head, hitting all those pesky Water-types that the Steel/Fire coverage misses out on. Even in the case of X-Scissor, Return hits Landorus-T, Gyarados, and Dragonite harder than the other moves. Shadow Claw gets some of the same neutral coverage while hitting Jellicent super effectively, as well as a few less common Pokemon that might give some variants trouble, such as Chandelure and Slowking. It's significantly weaker than Return, but it's still powerful enough to get plenty of 2HKOs. Explosion is...Explosion. Even Pokemon that resist the move can be OHKO'd, such as Heatran, and so it's pretty much a guaranteed kill against anything that isn't resistant or immune to it.

I'm not sure how a set like this would work in Ubers since I'm not a big Ubers player, but it makes for an interesting OU theorymon.

McDanger

rofl

genesect@focus sash
naïve
4 attack/252 sp attack/ 252 speed
-u turn
-ice beam
-flamethrower
-giga drain/thunderbolt

This set functions similar to the expert belt set but would worked better as a lead to beat other genesects/scarfed jirachis and scout in general. All moves are standard for genesect for reasons everyones said so I`m not really going to go into detail on every move/ev spread

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Physical
Item: Life Orb
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
X-Scissor
Metal Claw/Iron Head
Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace
Zen Headbutt/Blaze Kick

Special
Adamant w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
Signal Beam
Flash Cannon
Dark Pulse
Thunderbolt/Psychic/Energy Ball

Other
Hasty/Naive w/ 168 Attack, 174 Speed, 168 Sp Attack
X-Scissor
Iron Head
Thunderbolt
Blaze Kick

Countering (Since it's a uber, I figure anything goes.)
A defensive pokemon with fire-type moves like Infernape, Chandelure, or Dusknoir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.