• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #133

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and we have another classic

230.png

It's the fan favourite, Kingdra. Kingdra can be pretty brutal, especially in the rain.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/230.shtml

Go nuts

fitzy909

Just another guy
here is a set i have used before:

- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
Item: lum berry/Leftovers
Ability: Swift swim/ Sniper
Nature/EVs: Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Speed

(also, oh yeah first)

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Oh damn, please make sure this gets a decent doubles/triples section, since you ruined amoonguss': not mentioning rage powder and anti trick rooming...

In VGC, literally every rain team runs this guy, and it ain't hard to see why. Great STABs, decent bulk, and politoed getting icy wind and helping hand is great. Sub lets it prevent the ever annoying thunder wave. So sets:

Kingdra@dragon gem/life orb
Modest
252 spatt, 252 spd, 4hp
Swift swim
Muddy water
Draco meteor
Substitute/ice beam
Protect

Protect is mandatory in vgc, muddy water is great due to the acc drop it can give. Draco meteor... no more dragons. Sub i said before, where as ice beam can hurt stuff more, and have something that gives ferrothorn more damage. LO for constant damage, but gem for power.

Please give a good douldes section.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Swift Swim
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Waterfall
~ Rain Dance

Outrage and Waterfall are the only viable things in Kingdra's PHYSICAL movepool. This set puts them to use. Dragon Dance boosts Attack and Speed, Rain Dance boosts Speed even further thanks to Swift Swim. From there just spam STAB moves.

Spinner

Pokemon Breeder
This is the Decimating Kingdra I used recently in the Rotation Battles- it was cutting its way through Legendaries like butter, esp other sweepers. It works great in Singles or Doubles too.

Kingdra
Hasty Swift Swim 252 Sp Att, 252 Speed, 4 Attack, Dragon Gem

Draco Meteor
Scald
Outrage
Hidden Power (your choice of coverage)

Basically, after Rain is set up, let this guy go to town! Draco Meteor and Swift Swim pretty much destroys anything but something with Multiscale (Lugia) or Focus Sash, and then you use Outrage or switch out. Scald is coverage on Steel, and can leave a nice burn, good on defensive types setting up. I have hidden power, but don't really remember using it. The outrage trick after Draco Meteor surprised not a few people, like the one Lati Calm Minding quietly...
One of my Favorite Pokemon! And it's Blue! (I love blue pokemon)

EonDragonFTW

OOOH I LOVE KINGDRA!!! I use it to decimate everything in Doubles!
Since there is no Drizzle + Swift Swim ban
Here's a set from VGC/Doubles
Kingdra @ Life Orb/Water Gem
Modest Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk 252 Speed
Moves:
Draco Meteor/Protect
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Dragon Pulse

Kingdra can just pummel everything in its path with its high power and speed thanks to Swift Swim (Rain over everything!). Dragon Pulse or Meteor can get rid of the dragons, and its partner, Politoed, can fire off rain boosted surfs without hurting Kingdra too much thanks to its x4 resistance or Protect

Last edited:

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
Bazooka (Kingdra) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

Terrible pun and sexy set Miror use this bby bc ily :$ (if anyone doesn't get it you're not using the sniper ability instead of blowing things up with a specs boosted hydro pump that and 2HKO some P2's so its a Bazooka because sniper's are for wusses)

_Calm|Mind_

Follow the Path
Where's the Lucario guy who always posts bad sets and posts them first? Anyway...

Ability: Sniper
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Dive, Toxic, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Dance

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Where's the Lucario guy who always posts bad sets and posts them first? Anyway...

You people probably hurt his feelings last time.

Horsea @Choice Scarf
Timid
236sp.atk 236spe
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Fire
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance

For little cup.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Even though Smogon has "banned" Swift Swim/Drizzle, don't feel afraid of making a note about it in your sets :)

Don't mind if i do. Smogon isn't sacred and we are in NO way required to play by their rules. So, yeah.

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

I might actually add this set to my rain team with Drizzle Politoed later on. Kingdra really has only one weakness, and Leftovers can be used for healing. Scald gets STAB and a boost from rain and occasionally burns the opponent. Ice Beam (especially against fellow dragons)/Signal Beam are for coverage and Draco Meteor for a powerful STAB move though you are pretty much forced to switch out Kingdra afterwards.

Last edited:

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!

Oh the irony
You people probably hurt his feelings last time.

Horsea @Choice Scarf
Timid
236sp.atk 236spe
-Hydro Pump
-Hidden Power Fire
-Ice Beam
-Rain Dance

For little cup.
LO or Eviolite is much better for this set, but yeah very fun set to use :) I'd also put it Hp Fire/Grass because some people want to hit Chinchou and other Water types.
Don't mind if i do. Smogon isn't sacred and we are in NO way required to play by their rules. So, yeah.

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind

I might actually add this set to my rain team with Drizzle Politoed later on. Kingdra really has only one weakness, and Leftovers can be used for healing while boosting your stats with Calm Mind. Scald gets STAB and a boost from rain and occasionally burns the opponent. Ice Beam is for coverage (especially against fellow dragons) and Draco Meteor for a powerful STAB move though you are pretty much forced to switch out Kingdra afterwards.

Smogon isn't sacred, no, but they typically are correct when they ban things that are unhealthy for the metagame. I know this isn't the place to discuss this, but I just thought I'd point that out. Also, Kingdra does not get access to Calm Mind, so this is an illegal set. #SerebiiTiersGen6

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Oh the irony

LO or Eviolite is much better for this set, but yeah very fun set to use :) I'd also put it Hp Fire/Grass because some people want to hit Chinchou and other Water types.

Smogon isn't sacred, no, but they typically are correct when they ban things that are unhealthy for the metagame. I know this isn't the place to discuss this, but I just thought I'd point that out. Also, Kingdra does not get access to Calm Mind, so this is an illegal set. #SerebiiTiersGen6

My bad, i didn't know. I'll edit my last post then. Thanks for pointing out brother.

ger9119

Kingdra (M) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor

This is my favorite Kingdra set, really good setting up 1 or 2 DDs then recovering the confusion from outrage and it gets good coverage with Waterfall. Draco Meteor hits hard too

Seadra
Sniper
Modest/Timid
Choice Specs or Evo
4 HP/252 SPA / 252 SPE
Hyrdro Pump/Ice Beam/ Dragon Pulse/ Hidden Power Fire

Seadra is a very underated pokemon in the lower tier it has decent bulk which is increased with evoilite and great special attack and coverage with choice specs

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Well Kingdra...

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric / Grass]

Kingdra is capable to use a Specs. Hydro Pump to hit everything that doesn't resist it. Draco Meteor also hit everything. Ice Beam and Hidden Power are for coverage.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall

After it gets a couple DDs, this thing will turn into a beast. Subs to block statuses and leech seeds. DD boosting Kindgra's attack and speed to sky high level. Outrage and Waterfall are physical STAB moves for Kingdra.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
Oh damn, please make sure this gets a decent doubles/triples section, since you ruined amoonguss': not mentioning rage powder and anti trick rooming...

In VGC, literally every rain team runs this guy, and it ain't hard to see why. Great STABs, decent bulk, and politoed getting icy wind and helping hand is great. Sub lets it prevent the ever annoying thunder wave. So sets:

Kingdra@dragon gem/life orb
Modest
252 spatt, 252 spd, 4hp
Swift swim
Muddy water
Draco meteor
Substitute/ice beam
Protect

Protect is mandatory in vgc, muddy water is great due to the acc drop it can give. Draco meteor... no more dragons. Sub i said before, where as ice beam can hurt stuff more, and have something that gives ferrothorn more damage. LO for constant damage, but gem for power.

Please give a good douldes section.

I know they glance through the doubles/triples sets, since I'm pretty sure my post for Houndoom's uses in doubles had some influence on it's double's/triples entry. However, given the watered down nature of that section of the PoTW's, and Amoongus's nearly non-existent double's entry, I think a passing glance is the best we can hope for. I wouldn't hold my breathe for a good double's section.

Anyways, don't forget to mention Lum berry since it stops that initial Thunderwave before the sub's set up, thus is fairly common on the sub set.

190px-230Kingdra.png

Kingdra
Kingdra lives at extreme ocean depths that are otherwise uninhabited. It has long been believed that the yawning of this Pokémon creates spiraling ocean currents.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest / Timid - Swift Swim / Sniper
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~ Draco Meteor
~ Hydro Pump / Surf
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Hidden Power Electric / Surf

EonDragonFTW

Kingdra's Partners: Politoed if you're not playing by Smogon's rules (b/c of the all-important eternal rain), or something that can set up Rain Dance well, such as a Bronzong with a Damp Rock. Bronzong resists Kingdra's only weakness (and is rather bulky), and Kingdra quad resists Fire, which is further weakened by rain. Other partners would include Skarmory to set up hazards, as you'll be threatening them out with Kingdra's blazing speed and the extra hazard damage would be nice, or Specially Defensive Heatran to tank all Draco Meteors that aren't your own. Pretty much a Steel Type to take a Dragon move for Kingdra

Kingdra's counters: SHUT DOWN THE RAIN!!! That is imperative, as that would really weaken Kingdra's sweeping ability (but Kingdra can function fine w/o rain). Stuff like Abomasnow (who brings in Hail and resists Water), or a bulky subseed Ludicolo @ Rain Dish w/ Lefties (who quad resists Water and can subseed/Toxic stall Kingdra to death)

Set names: King'd Ya!
How to train your Kingdragon
Sweeping is King
...can't think of anything else

swirlytoed

Check Mate (Kingdra)
Stats: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Hp
Moves: Substitute, Waterfall, Outrage, and Dragon Dance
Nature: Jolly
Item: Leftovers, Life Orb, or Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim or Snipper

Kingdra having two powerful attacks in waterfall and outrage gives great coverage in UU, OU, and even in Ubers. Having substitute is great because many walls like rhyperior, claydol and gligar need to switch out fearing waterfall and other attacks. This gives you a great opportunity to sub up and with the sub you can get a free dragon dance and then proceed to outrage or waterfall the rest of the opponent team. As for items you should choose between two items in life orb which gave extra power in its hits, or leftovers is nice because after subbing up you can get instant recovery, and lastly the Lum Berry is useful becuase after outrage it immediately heals its confusion or even if status is inflicted like toxic or thunder wave it can continue to hit hard. Kingdra ability swift swim can be a blessing and a curse it is great in higher tiers like Ubers because it is not banned so it out speeds a lot of uber pokemon, the curse however, is that a drizzle pokemon like politoed is banned in OU and UU. But in my opinion bringing Swift Swim in OU nice because their is a lot weather especially rain so not having to worry about getting in trouble for swift swim drizzle is nice. In UU I would recommend the sniper ability beacuase politoed and other drizzle pokemon are banned so their is less likely chance or having weather a factor in the UU tier.

Counters: Empoleon is a great counter because it resist both of kingdra attacks in waterfall and outrage and can retaliate by phasing it out with roar of ice beam if it is an offensive set. Another great counter is ferroseed or ferrothorn deepening on if it is UU or OU due to ferroseed being grass and steel it resist both waterfall and outrage and can thunder wave it to slow it down or either leach seed to get continuous damage.

Other options for Kingdra can be Rain dance instead of substitute with the addition of the damp rock witch lengthens the amount of turns during the rain is up, but not as good becuase the effects of life orb, leftovers, and lum berry are much more useful than having to deal with a damp rock as your item.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.