• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #133

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Even though Smogon has "banned" Swift Swim/Drizzle, don't feel afraid of making a note about it in your sets :)

Ooh. Better pull out my in-game Double Team + rain Dance Kingdra

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Att)
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
-Double Team
-Rain Dance / Substitute
-Hydro Pump / Surf
-Dragon Pulse

All hail TrollDra. Double Team until your opponent rage quits. If that doesn't work, then set up Rain Dance and sweep. The second and third move slots really depend on whether you are running Drizzle + Swift Swim.

Kingdra huh? Good Pokémon choice for POTW. I've yet to use one but from what I've seen, they're pretty tough!

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Physical set
Sniper w/ Life Orb/Dragon Gem/Water Gem/Scope Lens
Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
Waterfall
Outrage
Bounce
Facade/Return/Iron Head/Dragon Dance

Special set [recommended]
Sniper w/ Life Orb/Dragon Gem/Scope Lens/White Herb
Modest w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
Scald
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Fire/Flying/Rock/Ghost/Dark]

Countering-UU
High Sp Defense with Dragon-type moves like Dragon Pulse Milotic, Outrage Snorlax/Scrafty, or Dual Chop Gallade.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
Where's the Lucario guy who always posts bad sets and posts them first? Anyway...

Ability: Sniper
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Dive, Toxic, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Dance

Not seeing Lucariofan here bothered me a bit. It's just so weird not seeing his posts. So, I looked at his profile page and as it turns out, he got banned. I guess literally EVERYONE was tired of his BS.

Anyway.

Kingdra's pretty cool. Actually, I hate Kingdra. One word. Claire.

Yes, when most people think of Kingra, usually that horrendous boss fight comes to mind.

However, while Kingdra was hell to fight, outside of that boss fight, he's rather disappointing.

Let's look at his stats.
HP-75
Attack-95
Defense-95
Special Attack-95
Special Defense-95
Speed-85

Yup. THAT gave ME a hard time? This isn't bad it's just... All his stats are lower than 100? Really?
Still. Don't get me wrong, Kingdra is still a great Jack-Of-All-Stats. Without further ado, (and that was a hell of a lot of ado.)
My Kingdra set:

Nowi Wins!
Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Naughty
Moves
Dragon dance
Waterfall/Hydro Pump
Hidden Power: Fire
Outrage
EVs:
136 Attack
136 Special Attack
236 Speed

This is a pretty straight forward set. Dragon Dance it up and go with either Waterfall or Hydro Pump.
Would you rather lean toward Physical or Special?

Last edited:
Good grief, can we stop complaining about Lucario Fan now? His posts were spam, and he was instructed to stop, which he has now done. Can we please quit badgering him?

Overview (in my own style this time, don't worry, Webmaster)
Well, Kingdra is odd in a good way. These stats seriously need a boost, and luckily, Kingdra gets Dragon Dance. In Gen II it wasn't outclassed either, it was entirely different from the other Dragons. Like a warstory's title I've read lately, Kingdra always said: "I'm not going down". In Gen III it wasn't smashed with Salamence's arrival, or outclassed by Flygon. I mean, it faced trouble for other reasons, but it didn't go down, and in Gen IV, it got all it needed to rule OU. Palkia wasn't trouble as it was sent to Ubers. Gen V... What's coming now? Well, it was dropped into UU, but it's not going down, still. It didn't get an useful Hidden Ability, but it doesn't matter for it. It has always got one good advantage: Only weak to Dragon, and Dragons themselves risk to receive a boosted Outrage or a Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor in their faces... In Gen VI the Fairy-type might ruin this advantage, so... What's next? Don't give up, Kingdra!

King-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Waterfall
-Substitute
Adamant or Jolly
Leftovers/Expert Belt/Muscle Band/Lum Berry
252 Atk/252 Spe/4... HP, Def or SDef???
Got my pun? Kingdra... gon Dance? OK, let's go. Well... Expert Belt over Life Orb, and there's the reason. Often I see sets with Substitute, Life Orb and no Recovery or Magic Guard or at least Sheer Force... Fatal Error. This is smashing yourself. Muscle Band is also usable if you don't think you'll hit much super-effectively. Or Leftovers, to recover after setting up a Substitute. Lum Berry, however, allows a second Outraging rampage. Anyway, use Substitute on something that can't hurt you too much, Dragon Dance once or twice depending on what you're facing and attack with your fierce STAB moves. Switching might be forced by an incoming Empoleon, but if you have obtained enough boosts (+3 for offensives, I guess, and +5 for defensives???) it will eventually fall as well. Nothing else in UU resists your combination, so Kingdra, when used correctly, can sweep entire teams.

Other usable sets
A set more suited for Rain can be used with Swift Swim. Self-Supporting Rain is usable as well.
Mixed Dragon Dance started to show off in the competitive environment, and it can work in Kingdra as well.
Agility is usable, but is very outclassed by Dragon Dance due to the power loss.
Choice is really helpful, if you were looking for an instant boost.

Sniper VS Swift Swim
If you're using it in rain S-S, if not, Sniper. Also, if Kingdra runs Rain Dance for self-support (and not in a rain team), run S-S but forget about Damp Rock and use Life Orb or something like that. DON'T USE DAMP.

Against Kingdra
Hahaha. Only dragons hit it supereffectively, and risk fainting from Kingdra's own Dragon power. Scarf Flygon will outfly as long as Kingdra doesn't reach +2, case in which Kingdra outswims even without Speed boosting nature. So, hitting hard and fast with regularly effective attacks, even more so if boosted, are the "safe" route, but you're still risking to faint. If it comes into play, better hit it from the first turn. Priority really hurts Kingdra, too. Empoleon will tank it if it hasn't boosted enough. And remove rain if it is Kingdra's power source to shut it down. And smash it after confusing from Outrage. You need smart play rather than pure power to get rid of Kingdra.

Blitzamirin

Where's the Lucario guy who always posts bad sets and posts them first? Anyway...

He doesn't seem to be banned, but your attempt to make a set nearly mirrors him, so I wouldn't talk.

Kingdra's home is definitely the UU tier, where it is one of the best Pokemon available. Its STABs alone are resisted by Empoleon and Ferroseed (lol). The Rain Dance set is arguably the best set, with access to powerful moves such as Hydro Pump, Draco Meteor, and Ice Beam, with the added bonus of outspeeding the entire tier (even with a Modest nature, though Timid should be considered for other Kingdra). Even things like Snorlax are 2HKOed, and stuff like Empoleon can mostly hope to phaze it. However, Kingdra has the ability to use a DD, going with things such as Waterfall and Outrage, and options such as Substitute and ChestoRest. Specs Kingdra is also viable, being a good wallbreaker, which is able to 2HKO Porygon2. For counters, Empoleon can wall its STABs, but mostly will phaze. Toxic Spikes is deadly for Kingdra, which destroy it via 1) Life Orb recoil / 2) Pre-mature Rest. If you aren't facing a Kingdra in rain, the evercommon Scarf Flygon destroys it with Outrage. This is notable as, apart from its mixed offenses, it has great bulk and an amazing typing that is only weak to Dragon (uncommon in the tier bar Flygon), and quadruple resists fire and water.

Mr. Timn

with an "n"!

lucario fan in the potw thread for amoonguss said:
Ability: Effect Spore
Moves: Spore, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Clear Smog

these look eerily similar.

anyway, don't use dragon pulse on a dragon dance kingdra since it doesnt get the boost and is pretty much a useless move. dive is also pretty bad since it wastes a turn to charge and, while you are invincible for a turn, it gives you opponent a warning so they'll know exactly what to switch into you, like ferrothorn and stuff. use outrage and waterfall instead, they are far better. also, toxic seems really out of place since it really doesnt let you beat any of your usual counters or anything like that. you'd be better off using subsitute or chesto berry with rest to help you set up more easily. also, id use swift swim instead since it lets you put a hurt on rain teams since you outspeed pretty much everything that a rain team might use. also, where are you evs and natures, and why dont you have a description of your set? aren't those some of the same things that lucario fan was warned about because not having those made his posts spam?

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Seadra_Yellow.png

Item: Eviolite
Nature: Bold
Trait: Poison point
252 Hp / 4 SpD / 252 Def
~ Scald
~ Toxic
~ Substitute / Rest
~ Ice beam / Blizzard

Toxic and Scald is a nice combo option so you can chose if you either face a waller or an sweeper which one to use.
Substitute is for stalling and protecting it self from predicted switch-in, while rest gains immidiate recovery but the sleep status can cause trouble, but it's Seadra only healing option.
Ice beam or either blizzard if you prefer power to make this set complete considering coverage.

Caluminousdugtrio

class on my back
Kingdra@Life Orb
EVS: 252 SpA; 252 Spd; 4 Atk
Nature: Naive
Trait: Swift Swim
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Rain Dance

This Kingdra set is used in OU, while if equipped with a Choice Specs, it is viable in Ubers, with Dragon Pulse > Rain Dance. Outrage is just a move in there to smack Special Walls a bit harder, namely Latias and Blissey. Rain Dance is to transform the dragon into one hell of a sweeper, giving it a massive speed boost and a huge buff to Hydro Pump.

Rayofquazar

Kingdra is easily one of my favorite pokemon... I use it in UU to great effect!! Being one of the rare dragons of UU, opponents always find a tough time around this guy. Unless a lucky crit, and the rarity of dragon type moves, kindgra is not going away any time soon.

Kingdra's stats are underwhelming at first look. They are overall well rounded with 95 in attacking and defending stats, 75 in HP and 85 in speed. But there's a trick in this stat spread. It allows kingdra to be unpredictable and very hard to play around. With a very good movepool to boot, kingdra's diversity is boosted to high levels. You might think that 85 speed in not that great until you realise it has swift swim as an ability. Excellent rain sweeper in both attacking sides, this pokemon is not a welcome sight in competitive play because it mostly means trouble to the opponent.

While kingdra can play the role of a choice banded rain sweeper, choice spec'ed rain sweeper, mixed rain sweeper with life orb or leftovers... My favorite set is the dragon dance set.

Kingdra@Chesto berry
Ability: Swift swim
Evs: 252 speed/ 252 ATT/ 4 HP
Nature: +ATT / - Sp ATT or +Speed/ - Sp ATT
Moveset:
-Dragon dance
-Outrage
-Waterfall
-Rest
Really an amazing set that works most of the time. Switch into something that can't harm you and start to boost with dragon dance. Your opponent will try to burn you or toxic you or just attack you... Laugh at his weak attempts and when you get enough boosts, rest the damage off, eat you chesto berry, wake up the same turn and start the ravaging. Few things can effectively stop you after two or three dragon dances. If rain is in play, this set is much better but even without rain it works wonderfully.
Note: Kingdra's special movepool is better but this physical set is very hard to stop!!

Btw... In a complete unrelated note, I think that lucario fan's new name is Calm/mind... Just saying... Equally bad sets and was the only one to ask about it although Calm/mind never posted a set before in this forum... Weird!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.