• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #133

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and this week we're going to Hoenn!

350.png

RishRaff

Prince of the Sea
Poor, poor Milotic… it always seems to be left in the dust by Game Freak. Upon its introduction, it was one the best defensive Pokemon in the game (and one of the hardest to obtain). However, as time has gone on, the minor buff it has received have not done much to maintain its viability. Compare this to its water snake cousin Gyarados, who has received a multitude of powerful buffs such Mega Evolution and managed to stay at the top of the metagame.
That being said, Milotic is still a solid Pokemon and holds its own despite Game Freak’s neglect. It has excellent stats, particularly Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense. Two very useful abilities in Marvel Scale and Competitive give it some variety in its sets and its movepool has just enough options to be usable.

Defensive Set
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Bold or Calm
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpDef
-Surf/Scald
-Toxic/Dragon Tail
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This is a flexible defensive set that allows Milotic to fill multiple roles. With Rest and Sleep Talk, Milotic can be a status absorber and have a reliable way to activate Marvel Scale. If you want it to be more stall oriented, I recommend going with Surf/Toxic combo. If burn is the preferred status or you’re running a hazard stacking team, use Scald/Dragon Tail.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Elegant Water Serpent of Death

EV Spread: 252 Speed/252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Defense
Held item: Leftovers

Moveset

Iron Head
Dragon Dance
Surf
Ice Beam

Other moveset options

Rest
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Waterfall
Rain Dance
Coil
Safeguard
Light Screen
Protect
Body Slam
Hail
Blizzard
Substitute
Bulldoze
Mirror Coat

XaelOstigian

Competitive...kinda
Of all the nearly 1,000 Pokemon in existence, Milotic continues to rank in my top 10 favorites. I loved its sleek and slender design, its beautiful coloring, and the fact that it evolves from an ugly fish into something marvelous. The games and anime also did Milotic justice, often being in the hands of winners in various fields from powerful trainers like Wallace, Pike Queen Lucy, and Juan (In the anime) to Contest Champions like Robert and Wallace (Again). Between its design and prestige, I knew I wanted one (Even went so far as to try catching a "wild" one in the Battle Pike), however I was in for a rude awakening with just how hard it was to catch and evolve one. Turns out its pre-evolution Feebas could only be caught on Route 119 in gen 3 via fishing, and only on SIX RANDOM TILES! (Which could be changed by changing the Dewford trendy phrase for some reason). And gen 4 was worse since they only gave you three tiles inside Mt. Coronet.
PRS%26E_Route_119.png

After going tile by tile HOPING to hook a Feebas and finally catching one, the frustration does not end there. Turns out in order to evolve Feebas you need to max out its Beauty contest stat. If you don't have high quality dry blue Poke'Block and a +Sp.Att. nature, you were doomed from the start. Though the intro of the Prism Scale certainly helped in later generations. But once you bred your perfect Feebas (Even put Dragonbreath on mine via Altaria in Emerald) and spent your fair share of time blending with the Berry Master, I am happy to say getting my Milotic was 100% worth it. Excellent defensive stats, recovery, and a cool unique ability in Marvel Scale, Milotic served me well in Emerald and its Battle Frontier, ORAS, and I even beat a Primal Kyogre and Groudon in a single online match one after the other! The shallow offensive movepool and the power creep of other Pokemon may have kept Milotic out of the limelight, but I will remain a true and ardent Milotic fan regardless of how much the metagame changes.
648566.jpg

Beauty is Pain Darling
Item: Leftovers/Binding Band
Nature: Bold (+Def -Att)
EVs: (HP 252) (Def 252) (Sp.Def 4)

Moves:
Toxic/Whirlpool
Recover
Scald
Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse

Set Details:
My staple Milotic set that carried me throughout the generations. A defensive set that relies on residual damage while hiding behind recovery. Toxic is worth it if you can transfer it over from a previous generation, but if you don't have that kind of access you can substitute in Whirlpool which with Binding Band chips off 1/6 of your opponent's health per turn while trapping them. Recover keeps you healthy and allows you to stall if you need the gradual damage to do all the work. Scald is every bulky Water type's bread and butter offering good damage and a handy 30% chance of burn that further boosts Milotic's physical survivability. And lastly is your choice of coverage so that Grass and Dragon types go down faster. Ice Beam targets a wider range of competitive threats, but Dragon Pulse has better overall neutral coverage. Leftovers adds more staying power to Milotic but Binding Band adds more offensive pressure to Whirlpool sets. As for stat investment, invest everything into HP and physical defense since Milotic already has special defense in spades.

Sleepy Princess in the Ocean Castle
Nature: Bold (+Def -Att)

Moves:
Rest
Sleep Talk
Scald
Ice Beam/Dragon Pulse/Toxic

Set Details:
Marvel Scale grants a x1.5 defense boost when under a status effect, including self induced Sleep with Rest, so here's a set that takes advantage of this. Rest when needed to heal off your health and even bad poison which would otherwise counter Milotic in my previous set, and then use Sleep Talk to keep offensive pressure even when snoozing and guarded, not unlike Princess Sya herself. Scald is still mandatory for damage and burn inflicting, and from there its your choice of additional offensive coverage or residual damage with Toxic. Same Leftovers and stat spread from the previous set with max HP and defense.

Reaper Leviathan
Nature: Impish (+Def -Sp.Att)

Moves:
Coil
Recover
Aqua Tail/Waterfall
Triple Axel/Dragon Tail

Set Details:
Detecting a physical attacking Milotic in the region. Are you certain whatever you are doing will counter it? Subnautica jokes aside, this set can completely throw off your opponent who will automatically think you are running a typical defensive and special attacking Milotic. Here's the strategy. Set up Coil a few times which shores up your physical attack to usable levels, gives you added physical defense, and patches up your accuracy. Recover when needed in between boosts. By this point your opponent will probably think you are running Coil exclusively for the physical defense and accuracy boost alongside powerful but inaccurate offensive moves like Hydro Pump and Blizzard. In reality, this is when you surprise them with Aqua Tail or Waterfall, the former of which is more powerful and 100% accurate after Coil, and the latter of which has more PP, both of which hit surprisingly hard after a boost or two. Finally we have the coverage moves. Triple Axel becomes a 100% accurate base 120 Ice attack that breaks Substitutes thanks to Coil, and Dragon Tail also becomes 100% accurate and serves as a counter to other Pokemon that will try to set up alongside you. Leftovers is still king since bulk is still Milotic's main draw, as is investing into said bulk with your EVs and nature. However, you can opt for a tankier set with investment away from physical defense into physical attack via EVs or nature if you want the added offensive pressure (The exact calculations are ultimately up to you).

So while the metagame may have changed significantly since gen 3, that doesn't mean Milotic is no longer a threat. My love remains strong, and so too should be your fear of it should your opponent send one out. Failure to do so and...well, let's just say my Subnautica comparison won't be too far off the mark:
reaper_leviathan_by_krozyniac_dc6ghc7-fullview.jpg

Mestorn

Wandering Battler
Milotic, the queen of the seas has been falling further and further down the tiering rung as it has little that has changed it's strategy since the XY days. While Competitive and Marvel Scale are incredible tools, Milotic's strategy remains the same while more and more Pokémon are introduced to the game. A myriad of powerful Electric and Grass types like Rillaboom, Kartana and Regieleki make performing anything difficult while Ferrothorn and Toxapex remain dauntless walls that Milotic can never hope to break past.

Not to say that Millotic isn't a threat. Competitive + Ice Beam makes short work of most defoggers and Milotic's unique blend of speed and bulk make it a frustrating opponent to take down while still having enough offense that one cannot write off Milotic as passive.

Other Options
Flip Turn -Water type U-Turn is fantastic for pivoting around expected switch ins.
Refresh -Popular in previous generations for clearing Toxic, burns and Paralysis, though with Toxic's near complete removal, not as popular as before.
Mirror Coat -Punish Special Attackers with a taste of their own medicine.

Preferred Partners
Partners that can pivot into and eliminate Milotic's weaknesses are greatly appreciated. Many Ground types like Milotic blanking Water and Ice attacks as well as punishing defog as many of these are often the team's Stealth Rock setter. Landorus Therian unsurprisingly makes for a great partner, having Intimidate to soften physical blows and U-Turn to get Milotic in when needed while not being bodied by Grass moves. Other Ground types like Garchomp and Rhyperior also make for excellent partners.
Grass and Fire type partners are greatly appreciated, forming the ever reliable Grass-Fire-Water core. Milotic loves Grass types like Ferrothorn, and Zarude being able to switch into Grass and Electric moves while they appreciate Milotic checking Fire types. Arcanine and Incineroar make for excellent Fire type partners, countering opposing Grass types and blunting opposing offense with Intimidate, Will-o-Wisp and/or Parting Shot.