• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #139

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xernoblade

Live long & prosper
Magcargo @ Salac Berry/Rocky Helmet
Nature: whatever, it's redundant
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Def/4 Spd or 252 Atk/128 Spd/128 Def

Explosion
Shell Smash
Memento
Attract/Captivate

Smash your shell to speed up (not that it makes much of a difference). Explode in your opponent's face (flaming snail guts everywhere!). If you're facing a Ghost type or a wall that can't be taken down by Explosion, use Memento (Magcargo's dead either way) and screw up your opponent's attacking prowess. Attract and Captivate have no real reasoning behind them - it's just pretty damn hilarious to see something fall in love with a Magcargo :D Salac Berry is a desperate last attempt to gain a wee bit of Speed to explode/commit suicide. Rocky Helmet means even if Earthquake OHKO's you, the opponents takes a little damage.....it's significant.....to a Shedinja.....that can use Earthquake.....
This is an impractical set that's not meant for battling but just to waste everyone's time or for laughs. Seriously. Go get a Torkoal.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
- Heatran's typing may leave it x4 weak to ground. You're missing out the fact that Fire/steel is a far superior typing. Both are weak to fighting moves. But on top of that, Heatran only has x2 water weakness, while Magcargo x4. Aside from that, Magcargo is weak to the crippling Stealth Rock. What's more, Heatran has far better stats, with Magcargo only outshining it in defense, which is pretty much useless since a x4 Earthquake from a stronger attacker can still KO~2HKO it anyways. Use Heatran.

- Boosting defenses or special defenses is bad competitively without boosting offense (eg: Calm Mind & Bulk Up is useful while stuff like Amnesia isn't). Since you can easily get phased away. Unlike boosting offenses, you still have that one strong hit before the foe roars you. And yeah, recover is a pretty sore point for Heatran. However, the fact that Magcargo has literally bad speed means it can wall a foe with Recover, because too many things outspeed it. You can just literally switch into a water type when Magcargo is recovering, and KO it from there. Shell Smash is also a bad move for Magcargo. I believe stuff like Carracosta is a better smasher, since 30 speed is definitely not a phenomena.

- Oh yeah, and unlike Magcargo, Heatran can't be toxic.

- Rather than a rival, I think Magcargo should be called a younger counterpart or something, dunno?
I did say that "Heatran overshadows Magcargo in many places defensively due to its steel typing,stats and ability".
You may be right by saying that Heatran is vastly superior than Magcargo, but it ultimately depends on what you want them to do.
But since this week isn't about how amazing Heatran is / said to be, I focused more on Magcargo's perks - instant recovery,great array of boosting moves and a great ability which is usable alongside its great defence stat.I personally wouldn't recommend going on an attacking spree with Magcargo unless you are confident that the opponent present on the field cannot deal large damage to it.

Oh,and it also really slow,which is very useful on a trick room doubles/triples team alongside its support moves.Courtesy of After You,Magcargo could aid the team by keeping a "faster", frailer poke ahead of the game in dire situations.
The type disadvantages he faces in every bout are difficult to avoid - but can be played around with team support.
I never said that using Magcargo wasn't going to be difficult; he does have options for the team that any Heatran cannot provide however, and is not completely outclassed because of this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.