• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #139

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week we have another classic Kanto Pokémon!

143.png

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/143.shtml

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
kPjpbcr.png
cT55Imz.png
Y4CHka8.png

Red's, Ash's & Anabel's Snorlax

Nnhi4hx.png
DmxE6fI.png
ra6BPEJ.jpg

Dia's Munchlax, XD: Gale of Darkness Munchlax

Snorlax. Can you honestly imagine having one on your team?
No seriously. Can you honestly imagine having one on your team? A very consistent part of Snorlax and Munchlax in almost all it's appearances is that this is a very VERY difficult and disobedient Pokemon to take care of as it often has a one track mind of following where the food is, disobeying even the most skilled of trainers as seen in Ash's Snorlax where even at it's most trained, it'd still rather eat. Of course my favorite is the Pokemon Adventures version which features Red's Snorlax iconically sleeping on Route 12 just like in the games, blocking the pathway. I say iconic as I honestly think Snorlax is perhaps the most famous and well-known interactable Pokemon of the games. There is also of course Anabel's Snorlax and Kukui's Snorlax which presents a decent challenge to newcomer fans of the games but Snorlax also arguably has one of the most well-known baby Pokemon to exist, Munchlax which was one of the earliest Gen 4 Pokemon that made it's debut not in Pokemon Diamond & Pearl but actually Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness where it's first presented as... well a disobedient troublemaker, what do you know lol? There's also of course May's Munchlax & Burnett's Munchlax from the anime but my favorite Munchlax that had the most impact would easily have to be Dia's Munchlax from Pokemon Adventures which is honestly just like a mini-Snorlax. Seriously, can't keep your eyes off this Pokemon one second. The moment you do, it's gone lol or is up to something. My favorite scene of Dia's Snorlax would actually have to be that when Platinum borrowed his Munchlax for the upcoming Gym Battle against Fantina where they expose a great and hilariously adorable flaw in Mismagius's supposedly "merciless" and "cursed" ability according to the Pokedex.

Snorlaxium Z

Snorlax
Item: Snorlaxium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Careful Nature (+Sp. Def, - Sp. Atk)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP
Giga Impact
Curse
Earthquake
Body Slam/Return

Snorlaxium Z which leads to Pulverizing Pancake! Is it better than Curselax?! Nope! Is it competitively viable!? Not at all! Is Giga Impact at least competitively viable! Hahaha, anyways Pulverizing Pancake man. This is just a fun move animation to see and use and I always carry this move on my Snorlax only because I just really want to use it. That's pretty much the only reason you need to use this move, if you really, REALLY want to use it over the much better and safer Curselax that has dominated various metas and even held the title as the most annoying Pokemon of Gen 2.

Belly Drum Snorlax
Snorlax
Item: Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Relaxed Nature (+Def, - Spe)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def
Belly Drum
Body Slam/Return
Earthquake
Recycle/Heavy Slam

Preferably to use for trick room, Snorlax's access to Gluttony makes it a perfect candidate to spam Recycle under such conditions with or without Belly Drum. However for the most part, like Snorlaxium Z, this is just a fun set to use even though Snorlax is actually one of the better Belly Drum users out there under Trick Room.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Snorlax
Adamant nature
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
Ability: Thick Fat
@Choice Band
-Body Slam/Double-Edge
-Crunch
-Superpower
-Wild Charge/Ice Punch/Fire Punch
Nice. I like to use Immunity Snorlax at times when people try to spam with Poison type moves.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Snorlax is arguable in the top 5 most improved pokémon in Alola, together with Torkoal, Gigalith, Pelipper, and that one other pokémon I'm forgetting about right now. And it didn't get any significant changes to its movepool, it didn't get a stat boost, and it didn't get any change in its abilities either. Figy Berry changed, and that alone is a huge change for Snorlax as together with the previously situational Gluttony ability and its even more situational Recycle access it suddenly has access to what we can actually call reliable recovery. Sets from long ago like Curse setup that simply couldn't handle the power creep are suddenly completely viable again. It also greatly helps it when setting up Belly Drum, because as long as Snorlax's HP stat is even, it can immediately consume its berry after drumming and recover again as if nothing happened at all. Amnesia Snorlax, while rarely seen, is essentially the epitome of special walling, being able to wall even the likes of Water Spout Kyogre and Nasty Plot Porygon-Z.

Snorlax @ Custap Berry
EVs: 244 HP, 12 Attack, 252 Defence
Impish / Adamant nature
- Belly Drum
- Self-Destruct
- Return
- High Horsepower

Drumboom Snorlax for Battle Royals and doubles. First set up Belly Drum, then at the start of the next turn, the Custap Berry activates allowing Snorlax to gain infinite speed for a turn, with which it can blow itself up with Self-Destruct. Even though Self-Destruct's damage is halved in a Battle Royal, Drum-boosted STAB Self-Destruct has so much raw power behind it that it will still OHKO most pokémon that do not resist it, and it grants you three points for eliminating opponents at once while denying any to your opponents because Snorlax takes itself out, giving you a very solid push to first place in the Royal score at the end, as long as you don't lose all three of your pokémon. It's particularly potent in the mid-late game of the Royal, if at least one opponent only has one pokémon left it can end the battle right there and give you a lot of points to sneak past to first place.

In doubles it works quite similarly, although there it can only eliminate two opponents at once. Run it with a solid support pokémon that can help it out and is immune to Snorlax's attack. Sableye is quite useful as it can use Fake Out to help Snorlax set up, and then use Prankster Foresight in the following turn to surprise any Ghost types the opponent may have, because Prankster has actual priority and therefore goes ahead of the Custap Berry. Sableye can then help later on with something like Prankster Quash to support different partners. Sableye can also run different moves. Psych Up is interesting to copy Snorlax's Drum boost right before it goes boom, while Feint can be used to remove any Wide Guard or Protect attempts the opponent may try to go for to block Snorlax's attack. Telepathy Musharna can set up Trick Room for Snorlax on the opening turn, removing the necessity to run Custap Berry, and can also use Helping Hand to give Snorlax that final boost so it can also OHKO the likes of Metagross with its Self-Destruct. Remember that Self-Destruct hits quite a bit harder in doubles than in Royals.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony / Immunity
EVs: 244 HP, 12 Attack, 252 Defence
Impish / Adamant nature
- Amnesia
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Recycle

Amnesia Snorlax. I ran this in the Simple Symphony competition earlier this year and it's a phenomenal special wall. After a single Amnesia Snorlax is already effectively impervious to special attacks, and with two active Snorlax won't even feel the most powerful special attacks around anymore. Recycle with the berry helps as recovery which a wall needs, and the rest is offensive coverage so that it can actually fight back. The Gluttony ability gives Snorlax the most reliable recovery as it allows it to use the berry earlier, while Immunity can be a viable alternative as it makes Snorlax immune to Toxic. Run this together with physical walls or Acid Armor Baton Passers like Vaporeon. Vaporeon is a fun partner as it can set up Acid Armor and Aqua Ring and then pass to Snorlax, making it bulky on both sides, although Vaporeon has more trouble setting up with Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Koko being around nowadays (none of which were present in Simple Symphony, although Serperior was).

Belly Drum Snorlax
Snorlax
Item: Iapapa Berry
Nature: Relaxed Nature (+Def, - Spe)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def
Belly Drum
Body Slam/Return
Earthquake
Recycle/Heavy Slam

Preferably to use for trick room, Snorlax's access to Gluttony makes it a perfect candidate to spam Recycle under such conditions with or without Belly Drum. However for the most part, like Snorlaxium Z, this is just a fun set to use even though Snorlax is actually one of the better Belly Drum users out there under Trick Room.

I've run this one as well, terrifying next to Oranguru which can offer it Instruct support and is immune to Earthquake with Telepathy. It's a monster, arguably its best set for Trick Room teams. Just make sure to run 244 HP EVs, not 252, for level 50. For level 50 you want the remainder of your HP EVs when divided by 16 to be 4, this ensures an even HP stat (assuming 31 HP IV). An even HP stat is essential for Belly Drum sets as it allows Snorlax to consume its berry immediately after Belly Drum without any prior damage (Belly Drum damage rounds down, so on an odd stat you'll be half a hitpoint above half and won't trigger the berry), it drastically increases its surviveability when setting up.

Last edited:

deymos

Snorlax is arguable in the top 5 most improved pokémon in Alola, together with Torkoal, Gigalith, Pelipper, and that one other pokémon I'm forgetting about right now.
Maybe you mean Vanniluxe with Snow Warning or Swellow with nerfed burn damage (stop pushing it for Sp.Atk. Gamefreak btw).

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I don't think there's ever been a pokemon that's gone up and down as much as Snorlax competitively. It was pretty good in Gen I. Then absolutely amazing in Gen II. Then it sorta declined a bit from Gens 3-6 as we got a lot of strong fighting types. But in doubles formats it was always a very dangerous thing to consider. It became absolutely crucial in International and even World VGC competitions.

I think Jamie Kean said something about it in the MBL. Something along the lines of "you expect it to set up belly drum or curses or something. So you taunt it. Then it just explodes."

Has anyone experimented with using Trick or Treat on Snorlax in Doubles? Never tried it myself and wondering how potent it is, making Snorlax Normal/Ghost type seems like it would make it incredibly bulky.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Has anyone experimented with using Trick or Treat on Snorlax in Doubles? Never tried it myself and wondering how potent it is, making Snorlax Normal/Ghost type seems like it would make it incredibly bulky.
Never tried it personally. Might have potency, although you've got to be careful because Snorlax can't set up Curse anymore once it's a Ghost type. Of course you could build that into your strategy and use Snorlax to plant Curses on enemies, Snorlax could have the bulk to pull it off, and it has the reliable recovery.