• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

186.png

This week we'll be doing Politoed, the Pokémon who evolves from Poliwhirl with a King's Rock.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/186.shtml

Politoed has got an awesome new ability now so be sure to use that in your sets, especially in regards to partners and Doubles/Triples

MudkipsAreAwesome

I was there.
Erm... okay...

Stalltoed
Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid
-Toxic
-Scald
-Protect
-Swagger

Toxic to start things up. Swagger to be extremely irritating. Protect to make your opponent tear his hair out. Scald as a damaging move.

TimmahX

Standard Option(s)
Modest/Timid, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Drizzle, Life Orb
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic
- Hypnosis / Toxic

Surf and Hydro Pump have huge power, STAB, and Rain boost, which adds up to huge damage after adding in the Life Orb. Ice Beam has incredible coverage, hitting the dragons that Politoed will probably be facing in higher tiers (Lets face it, he's gone up tiers this generation thanks to Drizzle). HP[Grass] catches other bulky grass types, Psychic catches a majority of the new Fighting types and has more base power. Hypnosis is an incredible, if somewhat risky status move, but Toxic is good to have if you aren't carrying HP[Grass] to take out other bulky waters.

Partners (Double / Triple Battles)
Lanturn and Politoed make a great duo with Rain and Thunder, and Dream World Lanturns (Though they aren't that common), can have Water Absorb to pair up with Surf. Almost anything that could use Thunder, should be with Politoed, to take out other bulky waters. Lapras is another good partner for the same reasons as Lanturn. Other than that, you want coverage against bulky grass types, which can be covered with Flying attacks, since Politoed weakens Fire attacks. Crobat with Hypnosis and Air Slash would be an interesting partner, providing extra sleep support and flinching.

Countering Politoed
Bulky Grass types, most physical attackers, or anything carrying Thunder. I know that this is a broad list, but here's the math. Politoed has 75 Base Defense which isn't very impressive, only carries Ice Beam to deal with Bulky Grass types, and a solid number of them are faster than Politoed, and Thunder is getting 100% accuracy off of his rain. Galvantula has a party with Politoed, since it's probably already carrying Thunder and Compoundeyes, and Energy Ball is an option for it.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
This pokemon is gonna be a lot less useful now that drizzleSwim is banned.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
What will it take to have Eelektross chosen?

But I should deal with Politoed. The only real use I see for Politoed in OU is Drizzle. Other than that, I can't think of anything Politoed can do well with. Well, on to the sets. And PLEASE CRITIQUE ME. ESPECIALLY ON THIS ONE.

Stall
Nature: Bold
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 DEF and HP, 4 SPDEF
@: Leftovers

-Substitute
-Toxic/Hypnosis/Protect
-Toxic/Hypnosis/Protect
-Scald

What really sucks about Politoed is that I can't come up with a good nickname for this set! It's a load of poo but oh well. The idea is to, well, stall. Scald is the best offensive move for this set because of the Burn, and inflicting Burn status is awesome.

The Chosen Toed
Nature: Modest/Timid (Modest preferred)
EVs: 252 SPATK and SPEED, 4 HP
@: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hyper Voice/Focus Blast
-Mud Bomb/Focus Blast/Psychic

Offensive Politoed obviously. Hyper Voice gets the Normal/Water combo, Mud Bomb hits Electric types, and Focus Blast scores hits on Steel types. I put Psychic as an option because Fighting types are becoming much more dangerous with Conkeldurr and Terrakion making their appearance.

"I'm Singing in the Rain!"
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Speed and HP, 4 Defense
@: Grip Claw

-Whirlpool
-Perish Song
-Hypnosis/Toxic
-Protect

Yay, a special nickname! Moving on. Trap with Whirlpool, activate Perish Song, give it a status, Protect, and switch out!

Other Moves

Swagger can confuse
Choice Band can build a Physical set, but don't.
Endeavor can be fun
Encore can be even more fun
Belly Drum is another Physical route, but don't sacrifice bulk
Body Slam is a Normal move to compliment selected Water move, but more importantly, adds paralysis as an option
Water Absorb is an awesome ability if you are using Politoed in a non-rain team. But Politoed's one ticket into the high tiers is Drizzle and there are better Water Absorb Pokemon around like Vaporeon.

Counters

Do I need to say more than "Thunder"? I guess I will. Grass types need to watch for Ice Beam, but they work otherwise. One of my top 5 favorites, Eelektross, can probably take a Surf or Scald and KO with Thunder, Thunderbolt, Wild Charge, Zap Cannon (I'll explain once Eelektross gets chosen for POTW), or maybe even Discharge. Lanturn is easily the best counter thanks to the new (but not preferred) Water Absorb and STAB Thunder.

Since Politoed is more of a stalling Pokemon, Taunt can work wonders. Skill Link Cincinno with Bullet Seed will seal Politoed's fate in an instant, even if it has Substitute up.

Another option is to change the weather completely, since that's what Politoed is focusing on. Ninetails has Drought, Abomasnow has Snow Warning, and Tyranitar and Hippowdon have Sandstream. It is better to use the rain as a method of destroying Politoed, but weather based teams can clash and destroy Politoed. However, that can work against you at the same time.

Speaking of Weather, Pokemon with Cloud Nine ability can ruin Politoed, making Golduck a solid choice. Golduck has the brawn to take on Politoed.

If Politoed is going for offense, Shedinja cannot be touched by Politoed since it has no moves outside of Hidden Power to hit Shedinja.

Basically, Politoed is a pretty tame Pokemon. It may be annoying, but it is in no way threatening. Countering Politoed is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Partners

Prankster Volbeat can Baton Pass Tail Glow to Politoed. I chose Volbeat because Tail Glow now boosts special attack three stages instead of two. Other than that, the conventional teammates are used, which is ironically a good chunk of Politoed's counters like Lanturn, Ludicolo, and Galvantula.

That's all I've got. Now, CRITIQUE ME!!!

Last edited:

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Bulky Attacker
Modest 252 SpAtk 252 Def 4HP
Drizzle
Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
HP Electric/HP Grass
Toxic

Hydro Pump can basically destroy anything except other Waters, Grass types, and Dragons. Surf is also an option because it's more reliable, but I'd rather take the risk for the power increase. Ice Beam destroys most dragons as a OHKO, except for some variations of Hydregion and Haxorus, which are an easy 2HKO. HP Electric and HP Grass are used for other water types. HP Electric is better on Tentacruel, Gyrados, and Empoleon. HP Grass is better on Swampert, Carracosta, and Rotom W. Toxic is a nice moves for Eviolite Chansey and some others.

Other Options:
Focus Blast can take out some steels, but doesn't have a reliable accuracy. HP Ground can destroy Magnezone, but not much else. Hypnosis can put stuff to sleep, but again is unreliable.

Single Battle Partners:
Rotom W is an amazing partner. It can destroy bulky waters and takes minimal damage from them. Rotom W also has Hydro Pump, that gets boosted from rain, and a 100% accurate Thunder. Most things that can destroy Electric, Grass, and Bulky Waters will do fine as partners.

Vodka Haze

Counters: Because of the Drizzle ability, Thunder now has a 100% accuracy rating. The most common Pokemon with Thunder is probably Galvantula with Compoundeyes, which will do a lot of damage on Politoed, as well as probably paralyse it if it survives. Politoed does have a poor defensive stat, so most physical electric or grass sweepers like Leavanny or Zebstrika should put that toad in its hole (sorry, I just had to make that pun). You can also use a Scrafty with Shed Skin and Amnesia to counter the special attack and effects.

Trilby

Touhou Master
Sleep Talk Set ;186;
Modest-252 HP, 120 Sp.Def, 132 Def
Ability-Water Absorb
Item- Leftovers
Rest
Sleep Talk
Surf/Scald
Hyper Voice/Ice Beam

With no Calm Mind, this isn't nearly as abusive as it could be. Rest and Sleep Talk are self explanatory. Surf is reliable, but Scald has a burn chance. Hydro Pump is usable, but you need reliability for this set. Hyper Voice gives you the Normal/Water combo, whilst Ice Beam hits Grass and Dragons harder. No Drizzle, seeing as Sleep Talk is a 4th gen only move. So rain will have to be set up by someone else.

TheAwesomeOne

;186;Politoed@Coice Specs
Drizzle
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast/Psychic
-Hidden Power[Grass/Electric]
I guess that 4th Gen Politoed still works for 5th Gen. Surf+STAB+Specs=Ouch. Ice Beam to hit those pesky Grass types. Focus Blast is for Water-Ice types that resist the other moves, and some other Pokémon. Psychic is for the ever so common Poison and Fighting types. HP Grass is for Quagsire, and HP Electric is for Mantine. They both hit Water types.

squrtle

Dance with the Enemy
Policolo

Politoed @Lum Berry
Drizzle
Timid
252 HP, 126 SpA, 126 Spe
-Surf
-Scald
-Hypnosis
-Rain Dance

Ludicolo @Leftovers
Rain Dish
Timid
252 HP, 126 SpD, 126 Spe
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Rest

The aim: To annoy, stall, leech and attack.
Politoed does all the attacking, whilst Ludicolo sets up with Leech Seed and Toxic. Politoed uses Hypnosis and attacks while Ludicolo keeps leeching. With maximum speed on both of them, they will most certainly outspeed a few threats, but will definately last at least one turn with their Bulky HP.

Last edited:

Diaglio

Politoed @ Wise Glasses/Leftovers
Drizzle
Modest (+ SP. Atk, - Atk)
252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def.
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Mud Bomb/Mud Shot
-Substitute/Psychic

Surf is for reliable STAB. Ice Beam for coverage. Mud Bomb if you want higher power, lower accuracy, and accuracy drop chance, Mud Shot if you want lower power, higher accuracy, and speed drop chance. Substitute to annoy. Psychic for the ever common Grass-Poison type combo (good to counter Roserade). Use Leftovers if you run Sub, Wise Glasses if you run Psychic.

Double and Triple Battle Partners
Toxicroak with Dry Skin to be healed in rain and as a great Physical Attacker.
Wash Rotom with Thunder for the no miss in rain.
Ludicolo with Rain Dish and a completely staller moveset. My ideal moveset, which I've thought about forever is Dive, Giga Drain, Leech Seed, and the final move was Rain Dance, but since Politoed is Drizzling now, I'd put in Substitute or Toxic.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Why are there always pokemon from older gen. in the POTW...?
This is not the topic for that discussion, but to answer your question; balance. If we were to do all the Gen Vs now, we'd have none for the rest of the generation and that's not on. I've been trying to skew the random number generator so that only non-Gen Vs which haven't been done since before Plat gave us Move Tutors or have major upgrades get done now, but I cannot ignore the 493 non Unova Pokémon just because BW are the current flavour of the month

Haxorusfan

Dragon Trainer
Politoed @Leftovers
evs 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Hypnosis
Hydro Pump/Scald
Psychic
Ice Beam
HATE is guy. Rain is sooooo mean. Hyponsis is an easy way to switch into a sweeper or you can start killing. I like scald more the hydro pump cause better acc and can burn but its up to you. Psychic and Ice Beam are for coverage.

TheAwesomeOne

Well for partners, Ludicolo must have a mention, Electric type Pokémon will help counter opposing Water types with 100% Accurate Thunder's. Other Grass types, Flying types and Ground types are also good.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I will give Poliwhirl a Pre-Evolution Corner mention because Poliwhirl is faster than both Politoed and Poliwrath. Add an Eviolite and you have something somewhat bulky and quick. With Water Absorb, it has a method of healing. Give it Scald for burning maybe, or Toxic or Hypnosis and you got yourself a somewhat speedy and somewhat bulky annoyer.

TheAwesomeOne

Pre-Evolution corners are only for commonly used Pre-Evos'. Poliwhirl is prbably in the NFE Tier, which means that it is most likely not getting a Pre-Evo corner feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.