• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinepoke

uhhmmm YES!
Allright here goes my set...

I'm gonna sweep my rain up with special powers
Ability: Drizzle
Surf/ Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Psychic
Focus Blast

Well this set is mainly to take advantage of the water attack. The other attacks are there to counter anything that tries to resist the water attack. ice beam is there for grasses. Psychic tries to take care of everything else like those bulky waters(especially with the sp def weakening). Focus Blast kills the darks/water and also helps for a strong attack. For teh water attack I like surf better just because I hate missing but the power boost for hydro pumb may be really useful in situations. Evs will be 252 speed 252 sp atk 4 hp. Id rather have him jolly but modest is fine.

Last edited:
Haha, to be honest, it really doesn't matter what kind of set you run on Politoed. People don't use him for his awesome sweeping ability or his amazing bulk. They use him for his Rain. Now, that doesn't mean you should go throw a crappy set with Water Pulse and Pound on him, but seriously you can use him with a Choice set, a bulky defensive set, or even a Belly Drum set. You still get the Rain.

Leaf_Umbreon

Dat Dell Tower
Death by Water:
Hydro Pump
Dive
Surf
Calm Mind/Belly Drum
item: mystic water

Trick Room Octillery

Awesome Kecleon Dude
Leaditoed
Item: Leftovers
Scald
Hypnosis
Ice Beam
Swagger/Toxic
Bold
252HP, 128Def, 128SDef
Leftovers
Drizzle
This is the only menacing Politoed I've faced. It is great on Rain teams, with Drizzle and Hypnosis, along with a second status move.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Death by Water:
Hydro Pump
Dive
Surf
Calm Mind/Belly Drum
item: mystic water

The fact that you put Dive on this set speaks volumes on your knowledge of competitive battling.

Word of advice, never have two turn moves on competitive sets. It just gives your opponent an easy chance to switch out.

LightningStrike

White Kyurem FTW
i don't know lots on competitive, but one thing i know: Drizzle=common sense

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Haha, to be honest, it really doesn't matter what kind of set you run on Politoed. People don't use him for his awesome sweeping ability or his amazing bulk. They use him for his Rain. Now, that doesn't mean you should go throw a crappy set with Water Pulse and Pound on him, but seriously you can use him with a Choice set, a bulky defensive set, or even a Belly Drum set. You still get the Rain.
This. Personally, I go for choice sets. I don't like getting dependent on using it as a defensive Pokemon, because if Poli has to take hits, eventually it will die. I know he's not being a dedicated wall, but you're more likely to switch it in as a defensive pivot or something if he has bulky EVs. I would never use Belly Drum though. Ever.
Damn!
I hate how many noobs post here.

It's why I rarely post in here any more :/

TheAwesomeOne

Something different:
Politied@Life Orb/Wise Glasses
Modest
252SpA, 252Spe, 4SpD
-Hyper Voice
-Surf
-Focus Blast
-HP Fire
This covers everything...

I think

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Something different:
Politied@Life Orb/Wise Glasses
Modest
252SpA, 252Spe, 4SpD
-Hyper Voice
-Surf
-Focus Blast
-HP Fire
This covers everything...

I think

Umm, what? HP fire on a drizzle pokémon? No thanks lol. Steels and Ices already get covered by Focus Blast, so just go with Ice Beam instead of Hidden Power Fire. Almost 3x as powerful and a neat side-effect of freezing. It doesn't happen often and is certainly not reliable, but if a foe ends up frozen they're essentially taken out. But just don't go with HP Fire in rain, it only has a BP of 35 then, so even a Super Effective fire hidden power is outdamaged by a resisted Surf. Apart from Water Absorb pokémon and Shedinja (who are completely immune to surf), there is no pokémon in the entire game that is hit harder by HP fire than STAB surf in the rain, and carrying HP Fire just for Shedinja is just stupid.

Meh, Politoed isn't really interesting. It sets up rain, and that's what it does, but for the rest it's just a generic special-oriented water type that gets Hypnosis, Focus Blast, and Psychic as toys. It shouldn't go physical in my opinion, there are much better physical waters out there, most notably Poliwrath, who has access to the same movepool on the physical front, including Belly Drum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.