• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
So because it's slightly more common now it's banned? That makes no sense, is Drought/Chlorophyll banned too? How about Snow Warning/Ice Body? Sandstream/Sand Rush?

That's so stupid, it completely neuters the ability! If all that you're going to be able to do with it is boost your own Surf, you may as well run Water Absorb instead because of risk of Thunder!

No. Only Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, because it is so common with many rain sweepers (Qwilfish, Gorebyss, Huntail, Kabutops, etc).

Drizzle + Rain Dish / Hydration / Dry Skin
Drought + Chlorophyll / Dry Skin / Solar Power / Leaf Guard
Snow Warning + Snow Cloak / Ice Body
Sand Stream + Sand Rush / Sand Force / Sand Veil

Are all legal. Basically, anything that's NOT Drizzle + Swift Swim is legal.
I believe you are still allowed to use the actual move Rain Dance, with Swift Swim.

Dabin

I feel that in the future that there will be many switch ins to control the weather...
;186;
Politoed
Item: leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Calm (+SpDef -Atk)
EVs: :HP 252 Def 252 SpDef 4
- Rain Dance
- Focus Blast/ Hidden Power Fighting
- Surf/Scald
- Substitute/whatever

Basically this is a weather counter-counter; keeps it rainy. If someone swaps in tyranitar/ninetails/abomasnow/hippowdon to change the weather, you can just use rain dance instead of switching out and getting hit by those pesky entry hazards; then kill the weather changer. Run hidden power if you don't like Focus Blast's shaky accuracy, and use scald if you want to inflict a burn. Fourth move is filler.

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit
Countering Drizzle

Since Drizzle is going to be in play alot on Toad, Pokemon with Cloud Nine will be able to shut it's ability down. Unfortunately, only three evo lines feature it. Altaria can wall it decently, although it'd have to watch out for Ice Beam. Lickilicky could possibly stop it if it runs Power Whip. Golduck shuts down Drizzle, but can't really make up for taking it out.

multi-scale

I'm pretty annoyed that SS-Drizzle got banned, because Politoed and Kingdra would destroy teams together. Anyway, DW Vaporeon is a good partner thanks to Hydration, but water absorb might be better. Rain Dish Ludicolo gets some free recovery. Gale Dragonite and Sniper Kingdra are great to use in rain teams, with the former getting perfect accuracy and the latter getting extra STAB boost. Anything can also run Thunder or Gale for extra power and not have to worry about accuracy. For counters, Ferrothorn can wall it if it doesn't have Focus Blast of HP Fighting. Anything with Thunder can kill it thanks to perfect accuracy. Also, it doesn't have good defense, so something with a good attack or Wild Charge can beat it. I'm pretty sure Eelektoss can do all of that.

Nijaskills

Politoed's use it to create, and in the presence of ninetails/tyranitar/hippowdon, bring back rain. It's main focus is to come out of a weather war on top. Since water hits the other three weather starters super-effectively, it isn't that hard for it to come out on top. Two basic ways to do this:

Specially Defensive Toed
Politoed @ Leftovers
Drizzle
Calm Nature (+SpDef, -Def)
252HP/4SpAtk/252SpDef
Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Encore/Toxic/Hypnosis/Perish Song
Encore/Toxic/Hypnosis/Perish Song

The basis of this toed is to survive attacks and last enough to maintain your rain. Encore and Perish Song work wonders in annoying your opponents, and forcing switches, so entry hazard support is helpful. Whereas toxic and hypnosis can be used to spread status. The choice between STAB moves is based on whether you want pure power, accuracy and some extra power, or the burn chance. Politoed has a decent special defence stat, and it can take some powerful special moves pretty well. It shrugs off Ninetails' Energy Balls pretty easily.

Offensive/Choice Toed
Politoed @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Drizzle
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Hydro Pump/Surf
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Grass/Electric]

This Toed is more about removing the other weather starters, rather than outlasting them. This Politoed hits HARD: A Specs Politoed Hydro Pump in the rain is more powerful than a Specs Latios Draco Meteor. Alternatively, you can run Surf if you favour more accuracy. The other moves provide coverage. Politoed also has Psychic if so desired. Generally the item of choice is Choice Specs, but Scarf Politoed has the niche of being the only scarfer that can switch in to outspeed and revenge Excadrill in the Sand.

Kraleck

Sponge & Status
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: Focus in bulkiness (HP, Defense, Sp.Def) then put the rest in Sp.Atk
Moves: Scald, Toxic, Hypnosis, Swagger
Item: Leftovers

Rather monotone and luck-based on damage, but works great as a Status Flinger in Doubles and (especially) Triples. Partner with a Muddy Water/Surf user (adjacent to it in Triples) that is not a Water Type, like Static Stunfisk or Hydreigon.

In Triples, put a Water Absorb or Storm Drain Pokemon (Maractus, Cradily, Quagsire, etc.) on the opposite side of Politoed if it is on the side or a Lightningrod Manectric if 'toed is in the center.

Solo, you'll have a lot of issues with this one...

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Lead Rain-Disruptoad

Politoed @ (No Item)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Nature: Calm
-Thief
-Hypnosis
-Encore
-Perish Song/Toxic/Scald

Since Politoed has literally nothing to do with offense (90 SAtk is pathetic), I suppose that he'd work well... like this. Since he lacks Knock Off, I had to improvise... Thief works, gives you a sash/other item found on a lead, "breaks" and breaks their sash. Hypnosis Forces Switches. Encore forces switches before that. Perish Song = Bye, Baton passers. Toxic = Kill? Nah. Scald... Burns stuff at a 30% rate. Use in case of emergency...

Countering Politoed (yeah yeah I've seen this before on the last page...)
Politoed is predictable. He goes either Hydro Pump or Hypnosis. All you need to do is send out Tyranitar on him (Effectively increasing your SDef and decreasing his SAtk), and either pursuit him or KO him with a STAB or not STAB move.
A Bulky water type like Empoleon, Hydration Vaporeon/Lapras, etc, will counter it... just make sure you can handle toxic.
Abomasnow is the other weather-er that shuts him down.
Any Fast Electric/Grass type will eat him for lunch, especially Serperior, who benefits from it too.

All his counters (Literally everyone), have no need to fear him. Just fear his teamates, who will easily sweep you, stall you out, blah blah blah. If you have your own swift swimmer, then you will definitely sweep his team (Its effectively Drizzle-Swift Swim combo, except not banned)

The rest of the sets probably already posted anyways.

TheAwesomeOne

;186;Politoed@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm
252 HP, 100 Def, 156 SpD
-Scald
-Hypnosis/Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Haze/Hidden Power[Grass/Electric]/Protect
I would personally say, leave the Toxic Stalling to Vaporeon, but Politoed can still try. Scald is for the 30% Burn chance which is always helpful against Physical sweepers that would normally switch into Politoed. Hypnosis is to stop the Physical sweeper in its tracks, Toxic is to wear down walls such as Vaporeon. Ice Beam for the obvious coverage against Grass types. Haze deserves a mention because it can stop boosted sweepers from sweeping. HP Grass/Electric is just for Vaporeon, Quagsire and Mantyne. Protect is for Toxic Stalling, but if you choose Hypnosis, it is pretty much useless.

stenli

Flabebes
Politoed @ Leftovers
Nature: Quiet (+Sp. Atk, -Spe)
IV & EV: 0 Speed IV, 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 SpD << not sure...

- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast / HP Grass
- Ice Beam
- Protect

The 0 Speed makes Toed slower than Hippowdon (neutral speed) and TTar thus ensures Drizzle to work.
Hydro Pump is freaky with 360 BP(??) move counting STAB and rain boost, but Surf is always welcome if you prefer accuracy.
Focus Miss is for Steels including that omnipresent Ferrothorn while HP Grass hits another water.
Ice Beam handles what it can handle...
Protect to scout opponent's move and free Leftovers turn.

TheAwesomeOne

I don't think minimum Speed is that good of an idea, most people would just switch if they saw TTar or Hippowdon/Hippopotas. Plus, the opponent will most likely not send them in against a Politoed because of their weakness's, and if they do, they are only gonna switch out again, making Drizzle come into play.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
I though I stated earlier that T-Tar is safe against Politoed as long as there's Sandstorm. a 180 BP move (Including STAB), coming from a pokemon with 90 SAtk isn't going anywhere against a Rock-type in Sandstorm.

Whoops. Its an OHKO with Specs. Ofc without it it will do ~60-65% damage (Checked... without using a calculator) and T-tar can probably get a DD up by then. eh.

Its +1 SDef

Last edited:

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
I've decided to get off my lazy butt and write a strategy for someone.
Curse You, Annoying Frog! ;186;
Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Nature: Calm (+SDef -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Scald
-Ice Beam
- Hypnosis
- Perish Song
The goal here is to force the oppenent into switcing out. Hypnosis put it asleep, while Perish Song gives it like, three turns or so to live. Scald is a powerful water type move, and, if you're lucky, will burn the foe. Drizzle simply up its power. Ice Beam works in a similar way, with freezing instead of burn. Leftovers help its survivability, which is crucial to thtis set (unless ypu're using it for a suicide lead, because this is the perfect set for that). Also, this is tricky in triple batlles, unless you don't mind missing out on most of you're Pokemon's turns or having hlf your team wiped out.

Last edited:

TheAwesomeOne

^Surf and Scald is a bad idea for a set. Replace Surf for Ice Beam. Replace MysticWater for Leftovers. MysticWater is outclassed by Choice Specs.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
^Surf and Scald is a bad idea for a set. Replace Surf for Ice Beam. Replace MysticWater for Leftovers. MysticWater is outclassed by Choice Specs.

Thank you TheAwesomeOne. I'm a little new to competive battling and really don't know what I'm talking about.

TheAwesomeOne

No problem:)
I recommend that you read the 4th Gen POTW Articles to help you with your skills. Just keep posting in these threads and people will help you. That is how you improve.

NAMBIRI

I have no idea why Drizzle+Swift Swim is banned, I would like to know the answer as well.

Drizzle and Swift Swim combo is only banned on Smogon and not where else. Smogon also banned Blaziken with Speed boost. I have been battling in a lot of places with different rules and found out that Smogon is the only place which banned it because they are rain weak and most of the their team cannot counter Pokémon with Swift Swim. Well beating one of their Co-ordinator 5-0 and 1-0 with the same team twice didnt look Good on them so they found a lot of reasons to ban it.
The team I used with Politoed are as followed:

DiscoToad (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SAtk / 12 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Toxic

You may have noticed that this Politoed is Relaxed nature and -Speed nature. This is because to compete with Tyranitar and Hippowdon as a lead which means that if you are slower your ability gets activated last which is a good thing is this case making their Sand Stream go first and than you wash it out with Drizzle and you get the Special Type Attack Bonus[STAB] with 50% extra boost with with the rain up when you use Scald and a chance to burn their Pokémon while you are at it.With Ice Beam it is just to hit hard Grass, Dragon, Flying etc type Pokémon with a chance of Freezing with that extra EV points on Sp.Atk. The Focus Blast is for Normal, Dark, Steel type and Bulky Water type which normally resist Ice and Water moves, So you just wear down their HP with Toxic(increased to 90% accuracy) and than attack them.

Muhahaha (Cloyster) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Blast

Rapid Spin is the most useful one down here since it gets rid of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes which are harmful to this team considering nearly all of them have Focus Sash and 5 of them use the move Shell Smash which Lowers Defense and Special Defense of the User by one Stage(50%)and Increase Their Attack, Special Attack and Speed by 2 Stages(100%). With Focus Sash it helps you survive any one none repetitive moves while at Full HP. By the way in Pokémon Black and White the ability Sturdy works same way as focus Sash does, which is the reason why I gave Crustle Leftovers not Focus Sash. Cloyster Also works Great in Drought, Snow Warning(being Ice and Water type Pokémon) and Drizzle since none of its move is affected by this Condition.

VeryFast (Gorebyss) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This one is Water Base and HP Grass to take deal damage to Water type, Ground Ice Beam is just for General Over heads and for Coverage while Surf is for more accurate and STAB. Shell Smash and Focus Sash Same reason as Cloyster.

Oh Mastar! (Omastar) (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

There is the Fun one. With One Shell Smash while rain is on the field, you are able to 2 hit Blissey and Chansey the Special Walls with HYDRO PUMP!!!! Omastar is also useful in Sand Stream(being a Rock Water Type and gets 50% Sp.def Boost from Sand Storm which gets it's Sp.Def back to normal after one Shell Smash) Earth Power is for Electric and Steal Coverage plus general over heads(For more accuracy against Rock and Ground type if you don't want to risk Hydro Pump missing against them)

Drug User (Crustle) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Claw/Aeriel Ace
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash

It's eyes makes it look like it is on Drugs To me That is why I called it Drug User. Well With Aeriel Ace or Shadow Claw is just up to you. But yeah I just wanted more Shell Smash User on my team. And Another Useful Pokémon In Sand Stream with the same reason as Omaster

YoungNFast (Carracosta) (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Earthquake
- Shell Smash

And Finally the old School Carracosta with the Dream World Ability Swift Swim. Aqua Jet is not expected very much with Shell Smash and Swift Swim set, but it is excepted with Curse and Sturdy Set. Aqua Jet being a Priority It is a good thing not to get hurt in by another Pokémon. Rock Slide vs Stone Edge is bassically Power vs Accuracy and Earthquake is for general coverage. Useful Pokémon with the same reason as Omaster.

NAMBIRI

Drizzle and Swift Swim combo is only banned on Smogon and not where else. Smogon also banned Blaziken with Speed boost. I have been battling in a lot of places and servers ( like Pokémon Online, Smogon, PokéBattleCenter and many more)with different rules and found out that Smogon is the only place which banned it because they are rain weakand most of the their team cannot counter Pokémon with Swift Swim. Do we need to follow Smogon or other server or site, or do we need to make a our own based decision about whether it should be banned or not? Every other forum has their decision except for Serebii. I say that we do need our own Meta Game to What we think OS relevant to use in standard, UBER and other tier level with this 5th Gen like the previous one which was not being updated. Sorry I couldn't make anything for the last 13 POTW because I keep on putting off due to similarity of my sets in comparison to others.

DiscoToad (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SAtk / 12 SDef Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Toxic

You may have noticed that this Politoed is Relaxed nature and -Speed nature. This is because to compete with Tyranitar and Hippowdon as a lead which means that if you are slower your ability gets activated last which is a good thing is this case making their Sand Stream go first and than you wash it out with Drizzle and you get the Special Type Attack Bonus[STAB] with 50% extra boost with with the rain up when you use Scald and a chance to burn their Pokémon while you are at it.With Ice Beam it is just to hit hard Grass, Dragon, Flying etc type Pokémon with a chance of Freezing with that extra EV points on Sp.Atk. The Focus Blast is for Normal, Dark, Steel type and Bulky Water type which normally resist Ice and Water moves, So you just wear down their HP with Toxic(increased to 90% accuracy) and than attack them.

This Politoed is obviously for Water type and Thunder usage and to weaken down fire weakness to Pokémon such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genosect and some other which are weak to fire moves(These Pokémon can also take Grass moves nicely that is aimed at Politoed since it is weak to it). Having Drizzle running on the field, gives your Pokémon water move 50% increase, Hurricane and Thunder accuracy are ignored. Hurricane has 30% chance of confusing the foe while Thunder has 30% of inducing paralysis and 30% chance of hitting Pokémon who uses protective move such as Protect and detect. Drizzle also cuts down, Solarbeam by 50%, causes Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight to recover only 1/4th of maximum HP.
Activates the ability Hydration, Swift Swim, Rain Dish, Forecast and Dry Skin.
Changes Weather Ball to a Water type move and doubles its power and allows Castform to transform.

Team mates:
Kingdra: Swift Swim which can do damage in both end and with Dragon and Water type moves giving it down STAB.

Vaporeon: Due to Hydration you are no longer required to worry about toxic hurting it and the turn wasted using rest or wish protect sets to restore its hp. Using rest in Rain with the Ability Dehydration will just fully heal you and gets you ready for next turn as a tank.

Rotom-Wash: Is no longer Ghost Electric, It is Water Electric, Now take this on board using Hydro Pump with stab and rain will dent the Target and plus access to Thunder which is another STAB. Not to mention It's insane bulk.
Plus there are any other Swift Swimmers and Hydration, Dry Skin Pokémon which will team up with Drizzle to take full Advantage of this. Like Dragonite with access to Thunder and Surf plus. Jolteon is also there to mention so that it absorbs the Electric moves set up against Politoed.

Counter:
Countering Drizzle Politoed will take a slow Pokémon which can Kick up its own Weather Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Abomasnow (Drought Ninetales not as a lead) at Politoed's competitive rang. As For the moves, you are best off looking at Politoed's team mates and try to predict on how you can counter it using good technical, because the aim of Politoed user is to keep it standing if there is weather change threat by the opponent. So take out It's protectors and than it. Hazard such as Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also recommended since they will be switching in and out trying to keep Drizzle effect on which will gradually wear it down and it's team mate to nothing.

Cons:
Moves such as Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight are decreased to 1/4th of Maximum HP.
You can't "really" use fire Type moves because of the 50% decrease.

With Doubles or Triples battle you will get a chance to demolish your opponent Pokémon easily or since walling is not very effective in doubles are triple. Pokémon with Lightening Rod Will be the best to lead of with Politoed which makes Politoed Electric Type moves get absorbed by it and raises their sp.atk. In Triple Just chance its movesets to Offensive Part Making it Modest nature with Choice specs or Leftovers if you don't want to be locked into one move.

DiscoGlasses (Politoed) @ Leftovers/Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle EV 4HP/252 Satk/252 Speed/ Modest/Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast
-Psychic

Big Bouncer (Politoed) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Damp/Water Absorb/Drizzle EV 4HP/252 Atk/ 252 Speed /Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Bounce
-Belly Drum
-Hypnosis/Substitute/Ice Punch
-WaterFall

Hopefully you get damaged before or after you execute belly Drum so Salac Berry can be activated as well which raises your speed by one Stage

Last edited:

Cherrim 8-)

Cherrim Trainer
If your politoed has water absorb, then use partners with surf. Heal, heal, heal!

Richard91

PowerToad w/ Leftovers/Focus Sash
Drizzle/Water Absorb
EVs 213HP /190 DEF/43 SPATK/10 SPDEF
Earthquake
Hydro Pump/Scald
Ice Beam/Blizzard
Psychic/Toxic

Pros:Strong Attacks,All around,Good accuracy,Inflicts lots of status problems.
Cons:Only one water type move,No Counter against Grass/Electric,If any of the move misses your toad is dead.

Good one here send out Politoed and run a status problem attack. Then either run or try to finish off opposing pokemon.Can finish off Fire types with ease using scald/Hydro Pump.

Partners:
Politoed isnt really the best partner put with a Ferrothorn and just have Ferrothorn spam curse and take all the damage while Politoed safely hides and fires away. If you want an offensive partner try some fire types. Victini is one of the best choices if you got the Liberty Pass. With Victory star All of Politoed's moves will have a low chance of missing ensureing the super powerful moves will hit opponenets with ease.

Overall Politoed isnt really the strongest pokemon. Politoed needs to rely on its pre evos so it can have strong moves. Moves like Belly Drum are not the way to go. If you can add Plenty of EVs to poliwag.

Status
Not open for further replies.