1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #147

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Sep 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

2. XaelOstigian

XaelOstigian Competitive...kinda

I love this lovecraftian squid. And the method by which it evolves is hilariously unique to the point where it literally turns your 3DS on its head. I knew it was a gimmick when I put it on my Y team, but I was having way too much fun spamming Contrary boosted Superpower to care. Malamar was not the best Contrary user (That title goes to Serperior), or even the worst (Looking at you Spinda), but with the advent of Z-Status moves Malamar can finally utilize its mind control to the best of its ability.
    [​IMG]
    Call of Calamari

Ability: Contrary
    Item: Psychium-Z
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: HP: 4. Attack: 252. Speed: 252

Moves:
    Hypnosis
    Superpower
    Knock Off
    Psycho Cut

Set Details:
    Z-Hypnosis fixes Malamar's long-standing issue with speed by capitalizing on a boost not affected by Contrary, and the chance to put the opposition to sleep is always welcome to set up Superpower, get a few offensive and defensive boosts, and diss out damage. Knock Off is Malamar's best STAB that offers the usual item disruption chaos, and Psycho Cut offers secondary STAB coverage hitting most targets neutrally.

This Eldridge mollusk is still not quite up to competitive standard yet, but it's getting there slowly but surely. Right? ...Right? RIGHT!?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

It is rather frustrating Malamar can't learn Zen Headbutt, since it's stronger than Psycho Cut despite having worse accuracy. That aside, Pluck and Rock Slide are interesting coverage moves on it, with the latter hitting Bug/Flying Pokemon very hard. Sadly its signature move is just a gimmick.

4. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

Malamar is an interesting pokémon... who revolves around a gimmick of flipping. As all gimmicks, it is a pokémon with lackluster stats that prevent it from doing anything meaningful. It's signature move, Topsy turvy? Great against anything that sets up... who will just switch out or OHKO Malamar before it can even get it's attack off. Malamar has a great support movepool, but its defenses are poor and has nothing outside of a Psychic immunity for defense.

Kraken Bulwark
    Malamar
    Ability: Suction Cups
    Item: Light Clay
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Power Swap
    -Toxic/Knock Off
    EVs: 252 HP/192 SDEF/64 DEF
    Nature: Bold (+DEF, -ATK)

An attempt to bulk up Malamar's defense to acceptable levels while supporting the team. Dual Screens fills that nicely, while Power Swap prevents Malamar from being setup bait by average its less than stellar Attacking Stats with the opponents probably better ones. Toxic is for passive damage while Knock Off has utility and prevents Malamar from being taunt bait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.