• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #15

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberheracross

The Ominous Breeze
Cos I Like To Make You Cry
Ev's 252 Sp atk 252 Speed, Timid Nature, Item: Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Moves: Substitute, Toxic, Swagger, Energy Ball,

Set up a substitute, then make your opponent confused, folowed up by a poisoning then keep blasting that energy ball, because your targets confused and you have a substitute you'll be covered for a while, then when your substitute dries up you have prankster to set you one up before you can take too many hits and of course leftovers help with your healing.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
When Whimsicott has no speed EVs. With 216 Speed EVs and a positive speed nature, Thundurus gets screwed... wait no it doesn't, if it has HP Ice.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
>Cloyster

If Cloyster comes in on Whismicott, it can revenge it with Icicle Spear. However, if Whismicott comes in on a Cloyster as it Shell Smashes, they can encore it and shut it down.

Zachmac

>Cloyster

If Cloyster comes in on Whismicott, it can revenge it with Icicle Spear. However, if Whismicott comes in on a Cloyster as it Shell Smashes, they can encore it and shut it down.
But you need to be careful with Cloyster. It's weak to grass, and since whimiscott has higher speed, it could Probably OHKO or 2HKO it.

If it's a OHKO, cloyster won't be able to counter it.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
For a counter what about a dream world Espeon or Xatu?

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
But you need to be careful with Cloyster. It's weak to grass, and since whimiscott has higher speed, it could Probably OHKO or 2HKO it.

If it's a OHKO, cloyster won't be able to counter it.

Except that it's best for Whismicott not to run any offensive moves.

...Though I guess you could do some sort of gimmick Growth set, but that's a little too gimmicky, even for me.

For a counter what about a dream world Espeon or Xatu?

Very true- Magic Bounce pokemon shut the typical Whismicott down totally.

Skyart

Here's some other thoughts I had on this: firstly, unless this only applies to in-game battles, I believe focus sash is 'consumed' on use, thus the idea for a lvl 1 Cottonee to repeatedly abuse focus sash is thoroughly sunk.

Also some other possible counters (because the more ways there are to kill Whimsicott the better): Tentacruel and Swalott with liquid ooze can switch into a leech seed and thus cause Whimsicott to lose HP, and they are immune to toxic, and if the Whimsicott then switches out Tentacruel can just rapid spin the seed away if you want. Fire spin/magma storm could also spell doom for sash or sub users, as it both repeatedly damages and traps them, but then again nobody seems to use fire spin...

TheAwesomeOne

This is for competitive battling, people have loads of Focus Sashes. Level 1 Cottonee, like all other Level 1 Pokémon, are ruined by Priority, multi hit moves, and much more.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
People won't willingly trade Bold nature and def/spdef Evs for something made obsolete by prankster and for a single counter.

Well, some of the sets here actually run speed EVs... not like I know why though. Never used Whimsicott, never will.

And that counter is quite common too. Or at least pretty common. I dunno.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Well, some of the sets here actually run speed EVs... not like I know why though. Never used Whimsicott, never will.

And that counter is quite common too. Or at least pretty common. I dunno.

If you were to look at the Pokemon and the sets I use on them, I make sure I have Whimsicott being faster than everything else as a safety measure against other Taunt users with Prankster and for the use of U-Turn. I don't build a set for a specific individual, I build it based on team needs.
The other Pokemon I tend to use are:
Terrakion
Azelf
Gallade
Scizor
Starmie
Entei
Eelektross
Scolipede
Shuckle
Crobat
Excadrill
Yanmega
Lucario
Gastrodon
Bronzong
Hydreigon
Dragonite
Victini
Chandelure
Togekiss

Whimsicott is not fending for itself unless it for some reason is your last Pokemon. Whimsicott is something that I see as a sweep preparation of sorts. It certainly can do more, but making a simple sweep is what makes Whimsicott one of the most dangerous Pokemon around.

Skevengal

Pokémon Rogue
Anti-lead subseed but I see most people had already posted that...That just helps back up its awesomeness :p

lazyshika

the best counter to whismicott is magic bounce xatu or espeon.

ParaFusion Whimiscott :547:

Ability: prankster
Nature:Bold
EVs: 252 Speed/84 Defense, sp defense, and HP
Item: Big Root/Wide Lens

stun spore
swagger
substitute/cotton guard
giga drain

Parafusion induced by the Stun spore/swagger combo. Substitute sets up a shield to protect you from those random shots that would have otherwise connected or you can use cotton guard to increase your defense until you(r forced to) switch out. Giga drain is your attack/health restoring blah blah blah

Best bet with items is to go with with the Big Root here, but stun spore's accuracy is terrible, its just abysmal, so you might want to consider using the wide lens to help with your accuracy issues. Then again 85 accuracy is hardly better than 75 accuracy so you might as well hope your Whimiscott is the luckiest piece of cotton alive. That or have a teammate baton pass it a hone claws (or baton pass from an acupuncture Drapion if it hits accuracy), though the only hone claw baton passer I can think of is Durant... (yeah that iron coated ant thing)... so good luck with that.

SubSeed Whimiscott definitely works better as a lead, but this can win you a match late game. Definitely think twice about swaggering attack sweepers though. A MixTar can destroy this with little to no issue, as well as any pkmn with an ice attack (im looking at you Weavile, swift swimmers under rain, or even Mammoswine) especially something faster than whimiscott with ice shard. Limber pkmn make this set useless, though Im sure your rarely run into a limber pkmn in the OU environment. Own Tempo Slowbro/Slowking should never be swaggered (lest it baton pass it off to something that can use the attack boost) but need to watch out for giga drain. Own tempo Ludicolo can force a switch, besides paralyzing, theres not much Whi,iscott can do against it. Also be wary of Dream World Espeon and Xatu. Xatu walls little cotton fluff completely thanks to its ability and typing, but your more likely to see Espeon in (OU) now because of its improved usefulness. I personally carry hidden power fire on my espeon (that 4x hit is lovely on those most popular of set up artists Ferrothorn and Forretress) which murders any unsuspecting Whimiscott.

Zachmac

It's most common set, subseed, is countered by magic guard alakazam, renuculis(SP), and enemy grass types(Unless they are also subseeders)

Status
Not open for further replies.