1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Community POTW #155

Discussion in 'POTW Collaboration' started by Serebii, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

Emboar_Rulez likes this.
  2. XaelOstigian

XaelOstigian Competitive...kinda

I can best describe Lickylicky in one word, "Bland". It's a Normal type and nothing really stands out about it in terms of design, uniqueness, or competitive usefulness. It's the evolution no one asked for, from a gen 1 Pokemon that no one really noticed even then. So tell me:
    [​IMG] ?
    Cursed to Obscurity
    Ability: Oblivious/Own Tempo
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Careful (+Sp.Def. -Sp.Att.)
    EV's: HP: 252 Def: 4 Sp. Def: 252

Moves:
    Curse
    Return
    Earthquake
    Knock Off/Rest

Set Details:
    Set-up with Curse to increase offense and defense, effectively turning Lickylicky into a decent tank. Return is the most reliable STAB option at max happiness, Earthquake handles the Rock and Steel types that resist Return and offers good general coverage, and Knock Off takes out Ghost types that are immune to Return and has the bonus of taking out your opponent's held items. Leftovers is unfortunately the only source of recovery unless you want to slap Rest in place of Knock Off, and nature and EV's are pumped into special defense since Curse handles the physical bulk. Ability choice is a toss-up since both are situational at best. Oblivious keeps Taunt at bay, and Own Tempo keeps confusion off the table.

Not an Ideal Choice
    Ability: Oblivious/Own Tempo
    Item: Choice Band (or) Choice Specs
    Nature: Adamant or Modest
    EV's: HP: 252 Att. or Sp. Att: 252 Def: 4

Moves:
    Return // Thunderbolt
    Earthquake // Ice Beam
    Knock Off // Flamethrower
    Ice Punch/Fire Punch/Explosion // Muddy Water

Set Details:
    A standard choice item set. For the physical set, same reasons as the Curse set with the addition of either Ice Punch, Fire Punch, or Explosion. Ice Punch is for the 4x weak Dragons, Fire Punch handles Bug/Steel types, and aside from Silvally, Lickylicky is the strongest STAB user of Explosion and functions as a last ditch effort to take out a threat.
    The special set sacrifices an STAB (It doesn't get Hyper Voice) for coverage. The BoltBeam combo is still legendary for near perfect type coverage, Flamethrower takes out the Bug/Steel types as with the physical, and Muddy Water is just filler but offers decent coverage against the Rock and Fire types.

I tried to make Lickylicky look like a cool option, but even I'm not sold by my own set ideas. End of the day, Lickylicky just doesn't have anything notable going for it. Except for maybe a cute moemon pic:
    [​IMG]

3. Mestorn

Mestorn Wandering Battler

Lickilicky was interesting in Gen IV when it was first introduced because it was the only pokémon that got STAB on Explosion besides Smeargle... until Gen VII where Silvally (who has a higher base ATK) also got it. In Gen IV, this was amazing on the grounds that Explosion 1/2 defense before damage which meant only resists could really take that without investment, and only quad resists/Ghosts could take it after any serious boosts (Band/Swords Dance).

Changes in Mechanics and Power Creep has left Lickilicky by the wayside. Nowadays, it languishes in obscurity, not having anything going for it that it isn't outclassed by something else.

Other Options
    Support -Lickilicky has an impressive cleric set -Wish and Heal Bell work great with Own Tempo. However, in many ways, Lickilicky's bulk is lacking, making it outclassed by other healers.
    Cloud Nine -makes Lickilicky decent against Weather teams.. who make a small part of the Meta, leaving Lickilicky a niche Pokémon for a niche playstyle.

4. XaelOstigian

XaelOstigian Competitive...kinda

Not to split hairs, but I just realized that technically Mega Glalie has the most powerful STAB Explosion what with the Refrigerate ability and all.
    Side note: Why the hell are Lickylicky and Silvally the only Normal types who get this move? Feels like GameFreak is kinda trolling us...

5. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Lost my profile picture when Ash beat Kukui

Maybe Jessie's Lickitung from the anime evolved into lickilicky and if she meets up with it it can battle Wobuffet.

6. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

Fun fact. Licktung is actually the least remembered pokemon on sporcle's 151 original pokemon quiz. And in my opinion it deserves the spot.

A lot of mons would have been much more powerful if it became available in gen IV, so I guess they didn't want too many most to get it back then. Plus, most normal types seem quite organic, while explosion users are either rocky, mechanical or gaseous.

If we're going to pretend that its a good idea to use lickilicky, we might as well assume its Gen V and pack an anti-weather set for VGC.
    Lickilicky @ Chesto Berry
    Ability: Cloud Nine
    Level: 50
    EVs: 132 HP / 200 Atk / 172 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Power Whip
    - Rest
    - Swords Dance

There's no STAB because this literally just exists to hit Ninetales and Politoed. Although the set can do decent damage to Alolan Ninetales as well.
    Chesto helps it switch into hypnosis from Politoed. Or get rid of a burn from scald or fire blast through rest. 172 Speed is enough to outspeed a standard politoed set. 200 Neutral Attack is enough to OHKO Politoed with +2 Power Whip. The rest can go into HP or Sp.Def depending on your defences.
    You could also run body slam or return, but honestly there's not much point since this only really exists to hit weather setters.

Lickilicky is one of those mons that is outclassed at nearly everything. As a wish passer, it outclassed by the regenerating Audino and it is less durable and more predictable as a setup tank than Type: Null or Silvally.

Every other pokemon that has retroactively been given an evolved form in a later game has been incredible in or banned from little cup, Lickitung doesn't really even stand out there any more.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 2:46 AM
  7. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I'd say Wish passing is mostly terrible because Wish Lickilicky is practically impossible to get legit nowadays. It was only distributed once fifteen years ago for FRLG somewhere in the US. It was already obscure back then because it was only available in one place in the entire world, and fifteen years have passed since them so it's even scarcer now.

8. Aduro

Aduro Mt.BtlMaster

I think its fair to assume a lot of players are playing showdown or similar. Nobody is going to be able to use Lickilicky in SwSh anyway.
    I don't think I've ever seen it in VGC or Battlespot, only very rarely on the bottom tiers on showdown.

9. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

I never see it in Battle Spot either, although I'd say that's also partially because it's just unpopular as a pokémon. I see people run Ash-hat Pikachu and Delibird and others and those are terrible too, I'd say Lickilicky is at least better than those. The Battle Tree does like to throw Lickilicky at you from time to time and it is quite an annoying pokémon to be up against, simply because it is a bit unpredictable, you never know if it's going to Explode or throw out Muddy Water or Fire Blast so to speak. It is outclassed in virtually everything it can do, but it is not absolutely abysmal in any of those roles either. It can run both physical and special sets, it has reasonable bulk it can invest in since it won't invest in speed, it has a very wide offensive movepool and acceptable offensive stats. Cloud Nine gives it some nuisance against weather-based strategies, and it is bulky enough to not be quickly eliminated to get weather active again. I'd say it mostly lacks in recovery options as a tank, which causes it to be outclassed heavily on the physical front by Snorlax (aside from Snorlax having overall better stats for such a set). As a slow special attacking normal type, it kind of lacks a proper reliable STAB move. It gets Wring Out which depends on the target's remaining HP, it gets Hyper Beam which causes a recharge, it gets Round which I guess could work but there are much better Round followers around and Lickilicky offers nothing unique for that role, and that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.