• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #160

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for the penultimate Gen 6 Pokémon of the Week.

This week, it's a Pokémon that shines as bright as the sun

338.png

Solrock

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/338.shtml

Go nuts

Zarxiel

Sorry for the question... but... penultimate? In america Sun and Moon don't will be released next week?

geophoenix

Not-so-hardcore
In Australia, Sun Moon is just 4 days! :D

DSDark

Breeder
Serebii is locationed in the UK and they don't get SM until the 23rd

infernape612

Village Idiot
I would bet money that the final Pokemon is gonna be Lunatone.

Anyways, on topic, Solrock doesn't seem to bee that good. Below average stats except for attack, only physical Rock STAB moves, only special Psychic STAB moves, no Mega...

Mixed!Solrock
Life Orb
+Atk, -Def
252 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 Spd
Rock Polish (helps fix up it's trashy speed)
Stone Edge/Rock Slide (STAB Rock move, power vs. reliability)
Psychic/Psyshock (STAB Psychic move)
Earthquake (Steel coverage)

...I literally did all of that just so I could say I thought Lunatone would be next.

generic villager #5

Your ad here!
Solrock is certainly a strange case. Rock/Psychic with the Levitate ability is certainly different, and it does provide some useful resistances and offensive coverage, but in the long run Solrock just kind of falls flat. None of its stats are particularly great and its astonishingly broad movepool is misaligned to its stats; it has so many more move types on the special side but only 55 base SpA. Solrock also suffers from middling speed and defenses, meaning it isn't fast enough to sweep, isn't helpful in Trick Room, and while it does get recovery it's still a poor tank. So where does Solrock succeed? It can set Stealth Rocks, although there are better options even in NU. It has Rock Polish, so you can boost its Speed. It gets recovery, so you can stay alive after boosting or setting Stealth Rocks. And finally, it has a pretty solid support movepool, sporting options such as dual screens, Cosmic Power, Baton Pass, Will-o-Wisp, and Embargo. The trick, then, is to get a set that can use these to its advantage:

House of the Rising Sun
Solrock@Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def or 252 SpD
Nature: Impish or Careful (respective to defensive investment option)
- Stealth Rock
- Will-o-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Rock Slide / Zen Headbutt / Rock Tomb

This set allows Solrock to set itself apart from Lunatone, which lacks Will-o-Wisp rendering it an inferior wall. Solrock's defenses are not amazing, but if you go all-out investing in one of them it becomes difficult to get around. Physically defensive Solrock can take hits like no tomorrow after a Will-o-Wisp, and is great at taking on physical attackers that rely on Ground-type moves for coverage against Rock. Specially defensive Solrock can use Will-o-Wisp to shore up its lesser Defense, and walls many Fire-type special attackers in NU with ease. Invest as you see fit, placing max EVs in your chosen defense and using a nature that will take away from Special Attack to feed into a defense stat. The rest of the set is easy; Stealth Rock is always appreciable, and with Solrock's bulk and Morning Sun it can set up rocks several times in a match if needed. Will-o-Wisp is important to Solrock's defenses and helps wear down everything but Fire-types. The attacking move is up to you; Rock Slide is preferred to make Solrock a proper Fire-type check, especially since they're immune to Will-o-Wisp, but Zen Headbutt hits harder neutrally and is nice for Poliwrath. Rock Tomb can also be used for utility, allowing Solrock to more safely pass the torch to a teammate. The biggest threat to this set? Any super-effective attack targeting its weaker defense. It's really that simple, and that's why this thing is ranked PU. It's usable, but don't let your opponent take you by surprise or Solrock will fail to accomplish much of anything.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Solrock sucks. It can try to do a lot of things, but the problem is that it is simply bad in all of those roles. It can't really wall, it simply doesn't have the bulk, it can't sweep as it doesn't have the offensive stats, and it can't support without any sort of speed. I guess it can try to Baton Pass, sort of, it gets a few things it can pass, like Cosmic Power, Iron Defence, Rock Polish, and Calm Mind, but I'm not really sure what it has that sets it apart from other passers. Maybe dual screens, idk, something like this.

Solrock @ Light Clay
Timid / Jolly Nature
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def
-Rock Polish
-Light Screen
-Will-o-Wisp / Reflect
-Baton Pass

Set up screen(s), set up Rock Polish, hope that you're bulky enough to survive, and then Baton Pass to something else that can actually try to sweep with that speed boost (so not Solrock). You could also go with Custap Berry as a held item to help it Baton Pass away after setting up, giving it that priority Baton Pass in a pinch, but it's situational. Mental Herb is also an option as this Solrock is shut down by Taunt. This is only valid in the lowest tiers, in higher tiers there are other pokémon that do this way better (like Mew for instance)

Last edited:

chess-z

campy vampire
Poor poor Solrock. It has the trappings of being a great pokemon, with a solid ability and decent typing. What holds Solrock back is pretty much everything else about it. It has a decent special movepool, but an abysmal special attack. I has some great support moves, but awful bulk. It's attack stat is passable, but since pretty much everything else about it is bad, why even use it?

The good: It does technically have recovery in the form of Morning Sun and Pain Split, It gets both Magic Coat and Stealth Rock, which makes it tempting to use as a lead. It also gets Stone Edge and Explosion, with its OK attack means that it could hit something hard, if you wanted to.

Solrock Lead:
Solrock @ Leftovers
Adamant/Impish Nature
252 HP, 4 ATT, 252 DEF
-Stealth Rock/Magic Coat
-Will-o-Wisp/Magic Coat
-Morning Sun/Explosion
-Stone Edge/Zen Headbutt

Morning Sun increases your longevity while Explosion can inflict some serious hurt, at the very least. Will-o-Wisp is pretty much great everywhere as is Stealth Rock. Magic Coat is amtuny bit gimmicky' but fun if you pull it off (also it's not bad against a pure hazard pokemon, like Shuckle). You also get your choice of stap.

Another note, Solrock's Special Attack is really bad, so don't try to use a mixed set on it. It won't work out well.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Set up screen(s), set up Rock Polish, hope that you're bulky enough to survive, and then Baton Pass to something else that can actually try to sweep with that speed boost (so not Solrock). You could also go with Custap Berry as a held item to help it Baton Pass away after setting up, giving it that priority Baton Pass in a pinch, but it's situational. Mental Herb is also an option as this Solrock is shut down by Taunt. This is only valid in the lowest tiers, in higher tiers there are other pokémon that do this way better (like Mew for instance)

Custap needs quite a low HP level to trigger so I'm not sure I'd recommend it without sturdy or destiny bond. But you're right that 70/85/65 defences aren't bulky enough to be useful as a wall. But solrock has some useful traits as just a straight up dedicated lead in singles, filling a similar role to Azelf in OU in making sure you get rocks and your opponent doesn't before getting out of the way. Its not that bulky so it is limited as a wall and as a baton passer but it can have utility as its unusual in learning magic coat to deal with taunt, encore, opposing rocks and the threat of will-o-wisp, as well as the more standard hazard setter moves, stealth rock and explosion.

Supernova
Solrock @ Normal Gem
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spe / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Explosion

I actually made this set yesterday and it had some decent results, although you should resign yourself to the fact that you're giving up a pokemon to make sure you have hazards and to take out one threat if you're lucky. Solrock is useful in this role as most rapid spinners and defoggers in PU have a good reason to fear it. Avalugg and Armaldo don't appreciate residual damage from will-o-wisp. Offensive spinning Cryogonal is OHKO'd by a completely uninvested rock slide, but can't OHKO 252 HP/0 Def Solrock back with flash cannon even with a life orb. Similarly Articuno can't live a rock slide and has few options for taking out solrock. Magic bounce deals with taunt and incoming rocks, and rocks are the whole point of the set. Explosion is to get solrock out of the way once rocks are up and leave room for you to set up a sweeper, and can also stop slow rapid spinners landing a hit. Max defence is useful as it maximises your chance of living a hit from things like X-Scissor from Life Orb Armaldo and choice band floatzel, which have a slight chance to OHKO if Adamant. Normal gem lets an uninvested Solrock OHKO floatzel with explosion, which is handy as Floatzel is totally broken and should be banned from PU.

252+ Atk Life Orb Armaldo X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 291-346 (84.5 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solrock: 270-320 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Normal Gem Solrock Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 357-421 (114.7 - 135.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Checks and Counters
The best defoggers to deal with Solrock are probably the immensely bulky Vullaby or the pure water Prinplup and Lumineon. (In fact Prinplup is probably the best overall counter if you don't mind risking a burn, it can roar out baton passers, liVe an explosion pretty well and roost away damage as well as being a bulky defogger). Offensive Wailord will tend to outspeed defensive Solrocks and OHKO and CroDuck can set up all over it. Floatzel is immune to burns with water veil and is a major reason why Solrock doesn't work as a straight up wall, but it might not live an explosion. Frillish doesn't mind the burn too much and isn't threatened by explosion, but can't get rid of rocks or OHKO. Basically, bulky waters are your best bet and there are plenty of them in PU.

Last edited:

Smokin' weedle

Solrock is one of the pokemon i really like, but can't use. Seven weaknesses, eight when levitate is out of work. In an inverse battle it might actually do something, but normally it's not that good. Although it's typing is pretty cool, and that design is awesome. It would have been better if it had a bit more bulk, because it has various options to set up, with cosmic power for bulk, and rock polish for speed. Anyway, there are already a lot of set up sets, so here is an offensive one. Which probably won't do well, but alright.

Solrock@normal gem
Levitate
Jolly
Ev's: 252 att, 252 sp. 4sp.def
- rock polish
- zen headbutt
- stone edge
- explosion

First get a rock polish up, two if you can, and use a mix of stone edge, for massive amounts of damage, and zen headbutt, hoping for the flinch. Just some fun when solrock is on low life: go out with a bang. The normal gem will power explosion, but won't do much to help it further.

generic villager #5

Your ad here!
Solrock@normal gem
Levitate
Jolly
Ev's: 252 att, 252 sp. 4sp.def
- rock polish
- zen headbutt
- stone edge
- explosion

First get a rock polish up, two if you can, and use a mix of stone edge, for massive amounts of damage, and zen headbutt, hoping for the flinch. Just some fun when solrock is on low life: go out with a bang. The normal gem will power explosion, but won't do much to help it further.

In PU, just about anything can work, so maybe it'd do okay; not so much in NU. I don't think you'll need more than one Rock Polish though. In fact, I'd suggest running an Adamant nature with those EVs, because even with Adamant Solrock outpaces every unboosted threat it'll ever see and any Choice Scarf users with speed-boosting natures up to base 95. Frankly, Solrock is gonna need that extra Attack. Also, I'd slash Earthquake with Zen Headbutt, otherwise Steel-types can walk all over it.

ampfire101

If you can get Cosmic Power up at the right moment, Solrock can be very hard to take down. Let's not forget it has Will-O-Wisp and Morning Sun. However, knowing me, I would try a rather gimmicky lead set similar to my favorite Torkoal set. Use Sassy nature, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Fire Spin and like Morning Sun or something. On Random battles on Showdown, the moveset for Solrock is Rock Polish, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Zen Headbutt. I forget what item it holds, I'm guessing Leftovers? If you want an attack boost, you could try a Leichi Berry instead, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't use this on any serious set.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
In PU, just about anything can work, so maybe it'd do okay; not so much in NU. I don't think you'll need more than one Rock Polish though. In fact, I'd suggest running an Adamant nature with those EVs, because even with Adamant Solrock outpaces every unboosted threat it'll ever see and any Choice Scarf users with speed-boosting natures up to base 95. Frankly, Solrock is gonna need that extra Attack. Also, I'd slash Earthquake with Zen Headbutt, otherwise Steel-types can walk all over it.

Just because its PU, doesn't mean you can sweep with middling attack and no offensive boosts. Offensive solrocks would have a lot of trouble with some of the bulkier PU mons, and PU is full of things too slow for RU with a lot of bulk. It doesn't even 2HKO bulky Beheeyems with rock slide at max attack adamant and will be lucky to do a third to Dusknoir or Avalugg (and every Beheeyem and Dusknoir is bulky because its speed sucks). If you really want to use solrock do it because its unique moveset has some gimmicks, not as an alternative to more deadly setup sweepers like huntail, sawsbuck or kingler.

Status
Not open for further replies.