• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zammy

Alakazam @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Flame Orb/Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Defense or 4 HP
Nature: Timid(+Speed, -Attack)
Moves:
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Charge Beam/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Ice
-Recover/Reflect/ Light Screen

Really, Alakazam is a cool guy. Great Speed, amazing Special attack, but he's absolutely hindered by his low Defenses and HP. Really, all he's good for is suicide or hit and run. Psychic or Psyshock... not much explanation needed. Charge Beam is good for the Special Attack boost, though Shadow Ball or Focus Blast are good choices for obvious reasons. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are basically choices of what you think you'll encounter, though you could run a BoltBeam like set with HP Ice and Charge Beam. Recover is for when you know you can get it it, which is rare, though Light Screen and Reflect can make Zammy here last longer.

You'll only want to run Timid instead of Modest nature, because otherwise he'll be too slow. This drop in power can be helped by Life Orb, though. Magic Guard allows Zammy to take on walls, though if you really want to mess with some opponents, you can Trick a Flame/Toxic Orb onto them. Alakazam can be fun to use, so long as you keep it out of reach of Pokemon like Conkledur and his Mach Punch and any other priority move. He should be able to outspeed almost anything. Almost, so be careful.

KrookodilePwner

Just go STEEL hard!
Spoonless @ Rocky Helmet/Psychic Gem/Chesto Berry/Wide Lens
Trait:Magic Guard
252 SAtk/4 Defence/252 Spd
-Reflect
-Light Screen/Calm Mind/Focus Blast/Signal Beam
-Psychic
-Recover/Rest
Nature: Gentle

Reflect is for that bad defense. Light Screen is just trying to make them like an alert to just use attacks. Calm Mind is pretty much for SAtk and SDefence. Focus Blast for the pesky dark types. Signal Beam for better accuracy but not that strong. Psychic is good for Alakazam since STAB. Recover for half health healing. Rest for all the way healing but sleeping for two turns.

Last edited:

ringuma

Overview
The classic sweeping psychic type Pokemon, Alakazam. He will probably only be remembered because he's one of the best special sweepers in the game. He also has a new ability, magic guard, which prevents damage from hail, sand stream, poison, and burn. He also has a good move pool which gives him diversity.

Synchronize: An ability that can make the opponent get a taste of their own status problem, otherwise, look elsewhere.

Inner focus: An ability that can...prevent you from flinching....IF the opponent can outrun you to begin with.

Magic guard: The best ability Alakazam has which prevents damage from burn, poison, weather, etc. Basically, he's impervious to non-direct attacks. Please choose this ability.

ALAKA....wait....WHERE'S MY TWISTED SPOON?!
item:twisted spoon/focus sash
ability:magic guard
nature:modest/timid
EVs: 252 Sp.attack/252 speed
moves:
Psychic/Thunder wave
Energy ball/Dream eater
Focus blast
Shadow ball

Alakazam is personally one of the best psychic types. His defences and HP make him seem weaker than an ant, but his tremendous speed and sp. attack make him just kill and go. Twisted spoon is good if you want to power up STAB psychic moves even more. Then there's that option of using a focus sash to barely save you if you die in the first hit (which is very common for Alakazam). Psychic is the perfect STAB move and a great combo with twisted spoon. Alakazam could also be devastating by teaching it Thunder wave to halve the speed of fast pokemon like Ninjask. Shadow ball gives him type coverage against psychic and ghost, as Focus blast covers him from dark types. Energy ball is good if you want to beat strong water and rock types as it also gives him some diversity on moves. Dream eater could replace Energy ball nicely too if one of your pokemon in your party knows Hypnosis to make a good combo.

Alakazam works part-time as a trickster
item:flame orb
ability:synchronize
nature:timid/modest
Evs: 252 Sp. attack/252 speed
moves:
Trick
Reflect/Recover
Focus Blast/Miracle eye
Psychic

Everything stat-wise is the same but the strategy is much different. Giving Alakazam a flame orb but switching with the opponent with Trick gives them a burn that halves their attack which is vital because Alakazam's defense is low. If you still aren't satisfied with Alakazam's Defense safety, say hello to Barrier. Though, if you feel Alakazam needs a recovery move instead, Recover is the way to go. Psychic is a great STAB move and can still be used on Dark types with Miracle eye. Of course, if you just want to have type coverage against dark types, Focus blast would work even better.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Hm...I'll make a great stall breaker, since it can't be stalled out of health by Status and Leach Seed.
(St/W)all Breaker
Timid/252sp.att/252speed
MagicGuard/LifeOrb or FocusSash
-Guard split
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Taunt/Calm Mind

Come in on a move like toxic, then Guard Split, and overlooked move. Then, it's a fast and powerful tank. Psyshock is because it's defense is lower then it's sp.def, so it'll usually make the enemy's like that after a guard swap.
Here is a basic attacking set for Alakazam,

Ability: Magic Guard
Hold Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 16 Def/ 240 SAtk/ 252 Spd

- Calm Mind
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/Psychic

"Calm Mind" to increase its already good S.Atk to higher levels (along with its S.Def). "Psyshock" for physical coverage (also a much better "Blissey" counter move than "Focus Blast" if you ask me since it does physical damage to it and has good accuracy). "Focus Blast" for type coverage. "Grass Knot" for heavier foes.
Changes in bold. Psyshock is great, but Psychic hits harder. Focus Sash since it isn't stopped by SR, and it helps to get up a calm mind.

Cryochronic

Bulky Alakazam?@Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Synchronize
Nature: Timid
128 HP / 168Sp.A /212 Spe
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Recover
-Guard Split
-Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Substitute

This version is incredibly gimmicky and situational, but incredibly rewarding if pulled off. Seeing Alakazam, your opponent will assume it to be a regular sweeper. They'll more than likely switch into a wall to take care it. That's when you use Guard Split to add your defenses together with your opponent and Alakazam some much needed defensive bulk. After being left nearly defenseless, your opponent will either switch out or take the hit for a probable OHKO.

Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/ Energy Ball are all for coverage and Sub is to prevent against paralysis which will destroy the set. Recover is to maintain HP and help keep you in for the long haul.

Last edited:
Magic Guard Focus Sash Alakazam is stupidly good. It hits like a bomb and doesn't really have to worry about losing his Focus Sash unless you let it. Bring it in after something dies, then start killing. Magic Guard also lets it run Life Orb somewhat more effectively.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
How about a gravity set w/ Focus Sash? ( would be run as a lead) It could set up gravity potentially survive due to the sash and the attempt to hurt something also it could run magic coat to halt prankster taunt users when you encounter one(also can send entry hazards back at the poor fools who used them).

Should it survive its set up, you could try and hit things with moves like 100% accurate focus blast and psyshock/psychic.
Or maybe cripple something with status like thunder wave or possibly encore something for your next gravity abusers sake.

Edit: note this set requires gen 4 moves and as such must use either inner focus or synchronize as it's ability.

Last edited:

Hoppip2

Strugglekazam
Leftovers
Timid, 252 HP 252 Speed/4 in whatever
Magic Guard/Synchronize
Torment
Toxic/Psychic/Recover
Substitute
Encore

This set is an awkward but I think it can catch someone off guard. You set up a sub hopefully on a switch encore them into a move then torment (can also be in revers order torment then encore) them into a struggle fest and either eat away at their health using toxic or psychic or recover damage you got setting up your sub. May not work but I wanted something totally original amongst the life orb and dual screen sets.

P.S. First post sorry if I did the wrong format or something else.

I like this idea...
All-out special sweeper
Alakazam @Life Orb/Choice Specs
Magic Guard
Modest/Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Speed/4 HP
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Focus Blast

I've always been fond of just straightforward, all-out 4 attack movesets.
Little extra options here. Timid is preferred over Modest as Zam REALLY effing needs that speed boost over others in it's speed tier. Shadow Ball/Focus Blast grant perfect coverage, Psychic/Psyshock give you a power STAB to hit with, and Energy Ball will hit water/grounds or water/rocks hard. Choice Specs is an option here but if you go with your stab move you are nothing more than really shitty pursuit bait.

Nijaskills

Bulky Alakazam?@Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Synchronize
Nature: Timid
128 HP / 168Sp.A /212 Spe
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Recover
-Guard Swap
-Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Substitute

This version is incredibly gimmicky and situational, but incredibly rewarding if pulled off. Seeing Alakazam, your opponent will assume it to be a regular sweeper. They'll more than likely switch into a wall to take care it. That's when you use Guard Swap to steal their defenses and give Alakazam some much needed defensive bulk. After being left nearly defenseless, your opponent will either switch out or take the hit for a probable OHKO.

Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/ Energy Ball are all for coverage and Sub is to prevent against paralysis which will destroy the set. Recover is to maintain HP and help keep you in for the long haul.

Unfortunately, guard swap switches changes to defences, not the stats themselves. Alakazam's best option here is Guard Split, which averages its defences with those of its target (like power share, but with defence instead of attack). Unfortunately, unless it's used on something like Shuckle or Skarmory, it's going to leave Alakazam too physically frail to take anything anyway.

Kraleck

More Counters to 'Zam

-Anything with Physical power and Multihit Moves (Dual Chop, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Spike Cannon, Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Double Hit, etc.) can tear apart a Focus Sash or Substitute 'Zam.
-Anything with Fake Out can tear down non-Inner Focus + Focus Sash 'Zam.
-Prankster Sableye can deal with non-Magic Guard 'Zam via Sucker Punch and Trick.

TheAwesomeOne

Well, since Eviolite Kadabra and Bulky Alakazam, I will post a Choice Band Alakazam:
Alakazam@Choice Band
Timid
252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
-Trick
-Psychic/Psycho Shock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
No, I am not that crazy to actually posting a Physical Alakazam. You could run Choice Scarf too.

GroundTypeGuru

Abra in little cup would make a great sweeper given base 105 Sp. Atk and base 90 speed.

gyarados151

Ace ninja trainer
Counters: Accelgor easily outspeeds alakazam and can use his spec attack stat to throw a bug buzz right in alakazam's face (I haven't calculated how much damage this would do).

Escavalier, on the other hand, will make alakazam beg to switch out. You can easily switch him on a psychic type attack, and the only attack most zam's use that are at least neutral to escavalier is focus blast. It is unreliable and may not even hit anyway, while you hit zam and tae him out in one hit with megahorn.

Speaking of megahorn, it completely recks alakazam (unless whoeve is using it has a pitiful attack).

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
...I'm going to refine my "Stalling is just a mindset" set. Here goes:

Stalling it just a mindset.
Light Clay/Life Orb
Magic Guard
Hasty [ +Speed, -Defence. ]/Timid [ +Speed, -Attack ]
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Disable
-Encore
-Calm Mind/Reflect/Light Screen/Toxic/Thunder Wave

Nearly an exact match to my previous set. Psyshock and Psychic provide the STABs, with Psychic being stronger and Psyshock going through Blissey and other Special walls. What makes this set unique, though, is Encore + Disable making them struggle or switch. Then, on the Struggle/Switch turn, use a status move. Simple as that.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Well, I figure you'd really be able to force-switch pretty much every Pokemon except for Ghosts with Encore-Disable, AND You'd only get ONE CHANCE with Trick-Disable. I think the reliability goes with my favor, as that is only one use and this is consecutive. Also, Hoppip2 kind of copied my set more-or-less. So yeah.

Also, I believe someone had put up another set similar to mine which had Torment instead of Disable? I've already checked it, and Disable has 5 more PP, and if whoever you are tried to get rid of that Ghost immunity, Encore is still Normal.

So, here's my huge post that actually doesn't get much done. Eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.