• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

Well, I figure you'd really be able to force-switch pretty much every Pokemon except for Ghosts with Encore-Disable, AND You'd only get ONE CHANCE with Trick-Disable. I think the reliability goes with my favor, as that is only one use and this is consecutive. Also, Hoppip2 kind of copied my set more-or-less. So yeah.
Yes, but you'd probably get one chance anyway, due to it's frailty, so you might take advantage of a choice item.

biggggg5

Bigglesworth
i dont use stat or statuses i just attack so i say
psychic
psyshock
shadow ball
focus blast

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Hm. Maybe so, but I like this set. Its certainly usable either way.

And a re-post of my set with a few changes:

Stalling is just a mindset.
Light Clay/Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
Hasty [ +Speed, -Defence. ]/Timid [ +Speed, -Attack ]
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Disable
-Encore
-Guard Split/Thunder Wave/Toxic/Reflect/Light Screen

Very similar to my last post. Simple difference is Guard Split, which can be extremely useful. And annoying. Very annoying. Although it probably only works against walls really, so choose carefully. Thunder Wave & Toxic Provide Status conditions, which can be useful. Reflect & Light Screen provide team support, which can be useful considering he'll probably be killed easily. Only use Light Clay if you run Light Screen or Reflect.

Last edited:

Dark_Leo

Dark Lord Trainer
Ok, so the first thing I am going to say is that I hate and Love Alakazam. Hate because as a mainly Dark Type Trainer, An Alakazam Focus Blast hurts like hell. And love because when I do reach outside and begin to build other teams for competition, Alakazam is always a possible choice.

As stated earlier, Alakazam should normally and mainly be EVed in Speed and Special Attack. But don't let that take away from building a gimmick, just understand what you are in for.

Pro's: Speed- Alakazam is among the top tier of speed. So it can outpace a great deal of the Metagame.

Special Attack- Yeah its huge. Enough said. Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Psychic or even Psyshock from Alakazam is just brutal to anything that doesn't resist it or have the high end stats to protect itself.

Calm Mind- Yeah this is awesome. A move that raises both Special Attack and Special Defense.

Magic Guard- Thats right, now Alakazam is not effected by the damage of secondary effects. This means he can slip into entry hazards and Weather with out fear. And Burn or Poison damage is a mute point now too.

Cons: Defenses: To be brutally blunt, Alakazam's suck. He normally doesn't survive much unless he resists it.

Lack of resistances: Alakazam only Resists Fighting, Psychic. And takes double Damage from Dark(YAY!), Bug, and Ghost. With paper thin defenses, the lack of Notable Resistance is Brutal.

Verdict: While time has created new threats and opponents, Alakazam can still fill into a lot of places. He can still be a dominant Special Sweeper, or perhaps he just Revenge Kills things he can with great Speed. Regardless what you want him to do, Alakazam can do it. He might be an old face from the First Gen, but with Age comes Wisdom, and with Wisdom comes ways to win. And Alakazam with the right work, effort, and strategy, Will always find ways to win and to help its teammates.

Zachmac

As a solution for guard split only working on walls, give it magic guard. That way, it can come in on Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, and other wall's favorites.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Well isn't that an obvious factor, Zach? Sorry for being so blunt, but that's the whole deal to Magic Guard. You ignore Entry Hazards and Weather Effects, as well as Burn and Poison, making vital switch-in options. Great switch-in when a wall-war is about to start, especially with things like Will-O'-Wisp and Toxic flying around. Seems like all this typing is in vein though, Zammy here'd not keep his place in the OU Tier if it wasn't for Psyshock Guard Split and a lack of added walls. I expect him to finally drop soon.

-Oh, and don't you dare say he's in the UU right now; 135 Base Special Attack and 120 Base Speed are devastating, especially with very few viable counters coming from the UU.

Cataclyptic

Ah yes, Alakazam... the original special sweeper. A nice Pokemon overall, with great stats in place for sweeping. Unfortunately, as we all know, it's defenses are a bit lackluster, so it's new ability is almost worthless since most will go for direct attacks against it.

The Magician
Modest @ Choice Scarf
Inner Focus/ Synchronize

-Trick
-Guard Split
-Psychic
-Signal Beam

252Sa, 252Spe, 4Hp

This set is designed to work as a lead for Alakazam. Usually people will send out thier defensive one in single battle first, such as Forretress and the unbelievebly common Ferrothorn. With this set, you can Trick them and make those slow bulky types hold an item that lets them use only one attack. From there, go with Guard Split, which switches thier defense. Guard Split turns Alakazam's horrid defense into an advantage- it will gain defense and at the same time the opponent will probably lose some. From there, proceed to sweep with that 405 special attack.

The Original Special Sweeper
Timid @ Life Orb
Inner Focus

-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast/Signal Beam
-Energy Ball/Shock Wave

252Sa, 252Spe, 4Hp

The original special sweeper with a few new twists. Firstly it has the life orb, which will boost all its attacks 130%. Secondly, it now had Psyshock, which is perfect for dealing with the ones who are specially defensive (Blissey and Chansey hint hint). Everything else is for coverage. Focus Blast or Signal beam, depending on which type of dark destroying attack you prefer. Shock Wave or Energy Ball for water types

Other moves: Thunder Wave, Magic Coat, Encore

Thunder Wave has many applications, Magic coat can be good if you time it coorectly, and Encore is just plain awesome for set ups. On a side note, you can also use the item Focus Sash to make up for its poor defenses.

Counters: Anything with a priority move, especially Shadow Sneak or Extremespeed. Spiritomb because it can have Shadow Sneak and high defenses, while maintaining no weaknesses. Arcanine would also work given Extremespeed and its high attack stat. Anything faster than it can also defeat it in one shot- Gengar for example can Shadow Ball it easily.

Last edited:

TheAwesomeOne

If Alakazam got Nasty Plot, it would probably be BL, but since it is got the intelligence of a Super Computer, it can't generate Nasty Thoughts.....

TheAwesomeOne

It is possible.
But it is a waste of an Item Slot, and they could Dark Pulse him to death.

Best counter IMO is Spiritomb.
No weaknesses, and makes Alakazam **** himself.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Oh, if anyone wants to know, Alakazam has nice speed because it outruns Sand Rush Adamant Excadrill with a Scarf. But then you have to rely on Focus Miss.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
It misses all the time.

A lot more than Stone Edge. But I use neither anyway, since I know my luck. It's the reason why my Cobalion doesn't have Stone Edge and my Gengar has Thunderbolt and Icy Wind in place of Focus Miss.

(Alakazam has IRON TAIL? WTF. I don't care if Kadabra has a tail, it can't POSSIBLY LEARN THAT)

Alakazam in Triples and Doubles:

It has Ally Switch, which is OK. But He's too frail to be taking a hit for an Ally, leave this job to Gardevior and Gallade.

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
Theoretically, couldn't a low defense sweeper with Guard Split be an effective counter? Even if it may not be used at all...

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
I do believe I've stated this a few times.

Alakazam is either OU or BL; he should never be allowed into UU due to his crazy high S.Atk and Speed stats.

ALTHOUGH, on a different note, he's got a huge inferiority complex to other Special-oriented attackers like Gardevoir and especially Chandelure. I'd suggest using them instead of Zammy here, he's so frail. He could still be an Anti-Lead, or pull off a Sweep, but when it comes down to it, Chandelure and Gardevoir and.. Well, alot of others just beat Alakazam. Thats really it, he'll probably be shoved off to BL along with Dragonite, Metagross and
Steelix and such. So yeah.

Last edited:

Zachmac

I do believe I've stated this a few times.

Alakazam is either OU or BL; he should never be allowed into UU due to his crazy high S.Atk and Speed stats.

ALTHOUGH, on a different note, he's got a huge inferiority complex to other Special-oriented attackers like Gardevoir and especially Chandelure. I'd suggest using them instead of Zammy here, he's so frail. He could still be an Anti-Lead, or pull off a Sweep, but when it comes down to it, Chandelure and Gardevoir and.. Well, alot of others just beat Alakazam. Thats really it, he'll probably be shoved off to BL along with Dragonite, Metagross and

Well, look at the 4th gen metagame. Metagross was OU, Dragonite was OU(And probably still will be with Multiscale), and Steelix was NU, for a good reason to.

Judging from the 4th gen metagame, it'll be UU, especially since it's outclassed by magic bounce Espeon.

Lol, I wouldn't say Alakazam is inferior to Gardevior.

Well, look at the 4th gen metagame. Metagross was OU, Dragonite was OU(And probably still will be with Multiscale), and Steelix was NU, for a good reason to.

I do believe that Steelix was a pretty solid UU during 4th Gen. And yes, Dragonite is top OU. Best Dragon besides Garchomp.

Judging from the 4th gen metagame, it'll be UU, especially since it's outclassed by magic bounce Espeon.

Espeon isn't as fast or as powerful as Alakazam. She just has Magic Bounce for support. Alakazam is more of a sweeper than anything, and a pretty good one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.