• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
[ Edit: ^I'll try and change it. Thanks ofr the info. ]

Yeah. I'll try a new spectrum for me; the way of "Partners."

Partners:

Rock-types. They resist Fire and Flying, and can hit hard against Ice, Bug, and neutrally against Poison and other Rocks. In the UU, I'd say something along the lines of Golem. You could also put in Nidoking, what with his move-pool, and resistance to Bug, Poison and Rock. Watch out for Ice, though, on both.

Since Swadloon with Eviolite would be fairly decent

No it wouldn't lol. It doesn't have any recovery, no Spikes and no offense. I guess you could try a defensive Calm Minder but you're just going to get slaughtered by Fire, Taunt or "good" players every time.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Actually Blue Harvest, Swadloon has the risky Manaphy copy. Leaf Guard+Sunny Day+Rest= 100% Recovery with a huge weakness. But, I guess its still usable, 'cause it'd die from a fire-type move anyway.

Actually Blue Harvest, Swadloon has the risky Manaphy copy. Leaf Guard+Sunny Day+Rest= 100% Recovery with a huge weakness. But, I guess its still usable, 'cause it'd die from a fire-type move anyway.

No its a shitty Manaphy copy. Ok, Leaf Guard + Rest is cool but its still garbage compared to pretty much everything else.

Its like saying Iron Defense Metapod is good at walling Breloom because of Shed Skin, Evolite and resistance to its STABs. Just because it "does something" doesn't make it usable.

MaxPegasus42

The Violent Angel
Can I ask a philosophical question here? It's related to this topic tho... Is there any way to make use of Camouflage? I "think" in any Wifi battle, it changes your typing to "Normal" (If I am wrong on that if someone could correct me with the correct info would be much appreciated)... Yes you would be removing STAB, but you would also potentially be removing 4x weaknesses of Fire and Flying from Leavanny which may allow it to stay in against things it might otherwise be scared off by...

For Example... Leavanny is scared by Chandelure obviously... But what if say on a switch in Leavanny had used Camouflage... Could it then potentially stay in against Chandelure and attempt to Shadow Claw it... This is clearly a very specific situation I am talking about, but I "think" you get the idea I am trying to get at...

Thoughts about this would be appreciated... I know it's probably too gimmicky to work out anyway, but I just wanted to throw that thought out there.

Tbird

Nice shot, man
I got bored and a little carried away. Hope this helps anyway. :)

Countering Leavanny

Pretty much any Steel Typed Pokémon, or any Fire Typed Pokémon. Notable choices from both types are Scizor, who can either outright OHKO Leavanny with its STABed Bug attacks, or set up Sword Dances as Leavanny is forced to switch or merely watch in horror. As far as fire types go, Heatran is a perfect counter, literally resisting any and everything Leavanny can throw it, barring a stray Hidden Power Ground. Other notable Counters would be Chandelure and Gengar, as they both resists pretty much everything Leavanny packs, though they must beware of a boosted Shadow Claw. Gengar, however can use disable on shadow claw to freely set up a substitute.
Infernape, Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, Gliscor, Excadrill, Landorus, Conkeldurr, Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn and pretty much anything else that resists its stabs can freely use Leavanny as set up bait

Partners for Leavanny

Heatran is probably the best partner for Leavanny synergy wise as they resist each and everyone of each others weaknesses. Heatran can also get a nice Flash Fire boost off of Fire Typed attacks aimed at Leavanny. Heatran can also remove Scizor, which at least knocks one of Leavanny's hurdles down.
Leavanny isn't terrible at removing Psychic types and Bulky Grass / water pokémon, so anyone that is thankful for their removal, such as Conkeldurr, will appreciate Leavanny on the team.

Notable Moves on Leavanny

Leaf Blade, X Scissor, Reflect, Light Screen, Baton Pass, Agility, Swords Dance, Calm Mind, Hone Claws, Shadow Claw, Return, Leaf Storm, Flail, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power [Fire / Ground]

LC

Not sure if you actually do sets for LC, but if so:

Sewing Machine
Sewaddle (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 132 Def / 196 SAtk / 180 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- SolarBeam / Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Air Slash / Bug Buzz

This would be used on a team with Vulpix support. After Chlorophyll boost, with the given EVs and nature it can outspeed Scarfed Gastly. Sewaddle will not be forcing any switches, but if you can bring sewaddle in on a Choice locked move like Thunderbolt from Gastly, you can set up Calm Minds. Solar beam is for sun abuse and STAB, Hidden Power Fire complements Solar Beam very well coverage wise, and gets a handle Pseudo-STAB boost from the sun, while the last move is down to preference. You can go Buzz Bug for Secondary STAB, or Air Slash for some better neutral coverage with a handy flinch chance.

Partners for Sewaddle would be Vulpix to provide sun support and to take the fire attacks Aimed at Sewaddle, they also have nice defencive synergy with each other, as Sewaddle can take water and Ground attacks aimed at Vulpix, whilst Vulpix can take the fire attacks Aimed At Sewaddle. However, they do both share a rock weakness. The rock weakness can be covered by Bronzor, however, Sun Boosted fire attacks will hurt even the sturdiest of Bronzor.
</ going nuts>

Abizzel1

Sleep Then Strike
Adamant
Swarm
Muscle Band/Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Hone Claws
Grasswhistle
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Using Hone Claws three times makes Grasswhistle have 100 accuracy, using it twice gives you about 92 accuracy. Also, using it three times gives you 2.5 times the attack power and 2 times gives your attack double the power so your other physical moves such as Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are powered up. Swarm boosts X-Scissor if your HP is low.

This can be viable, but having a choice item ruins it, so does life orb. Leavanny isn't great at taking hits, so Leftovers would be better used on this set.

Setting up 3 Hone Claws would be idea, but it's not likely to happen with those stats, so going for 2 is the best you can hope for.

Jolly nature is best to get past many of the pokemon in UU. Other than that this is a nice little niche set.

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit
Why're people suggesting Hone Claws? SD is much better, plus Leavanny doesn't have any real non-100% accurate moves that are useful. One thing that really lets it down is no access to a Rock move, namely Stone Edge.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Gee, there's a whole lotta hate for Leavanny, isn't there? This is the set I use.

Jolly Nature, 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Ability: Swarm
Item: Focus Sash

Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Entrainment

Typical Swords Dance set, with the exception of Entrainment. It's a very underrated and useful move, shutting down abilities like Levitate and Rough Skin, or at least forcing switches.

The resistances mean Leavanny can't pull off a total sweep most of the time, so switching is usually a must. Because of this, a Spinner is strongly recommended to make the most out of the Focus Sash.

With Jolly and max speed, Leavanny can actually outrun quite a bit of the unboosted competition. Base 92 Speed isn't bad at all, despite what some people think. Mine has outrun Pokemon with higher base speed on occasion.

Grass and Bug hit supereffectively on a lot of the metagame. Hydreigon, Musharna, most bulky waters, and a number of others. Even when not running Adamant, base 103 Attack backed by Swords Dance can be quite frightening, and there's also the potential of a Swarm boost.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
I'd say if it had a Fighting or Ground or Fire move that wasn't Hidden Power, Camoflage + Endure + Flail would work... In the sun.

Basically, force a switch, Camoflage, Endure a hit, sweep with STAB Flail and your Chlorophyll speed boost. And maybe Liechi berry when it comes out.

When Salac becomes available, I guess it could do Overcoat + Endure + Flail + Salac. Still, completely gimmicky. And needs a hell lot of support. But a 300 BP move from Leavanny hits harder than... wait, no CB Garchomp hits harder.

Edit: Liechi Berry makes Leavanny hit harder than CB Haxorus Outrage. I think. When it's released.

Last edited:

easilyamused1

Calm Mind Passer Swadloon (Pre-Evo Corner)

bold
252 DEF/252 HP/4 SPD
eviolite

Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Substitute
Bug Buzz

Just pray that those defenses are enough to survive a hit or two

pthame

First post, first try at one of these. Used this set for a while now, taking account of Leavanny's slightly lower but still potentially useful special attack:

I Can Do Special Too!

Nature: Timid (-Atk, +Spe) or Modest (-Atk, +Sp.Atk)
Ability: Overcoat/Chlorophyll
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 6HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spe

Calm Mind
Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
Bug Buzz
Hidden Power (Rock)

Calm Mind to set up with Focus Sash taking any hits which would normally KO it, then hope to take out as many as you can. Bug Buzz for STAB, which has more power than X-Scissor and as X-Scissor is physical, there is no need for it on this set. Energy Ball is my preference over Leaf Storm as it doesn't drop Special Attack and STAB as well. Hidden Power Rock, depending if you're quicker than your opponent gives those pesky Fire and Flying types a scare they may not expect.

Chlorophyll may be used if you're using it on a sun team if so desired and would definately give this set more usability if you can get Calm Mind up before the opponent takes out Leavanny. Overcoat if it's not on a sun team to stop residual damage from Sandstorm/Hail

Partners:

Rock types. Enough said. Waters may be a useful team mate too on a non-sun team as most can learn Ice Beam to cover Flying and their STAB moves for Fires. Starmie can be a good team-mate to Leavanny, covering the bases of having Water STAB and access to both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Omastar too is a potential team-mate due to it's dual Rock/Water typing giving both Rock and Water STAB and it has the awesome Shell Smash.

Counters:

Fire, Flying. Take your pick. Blaziken, Infernape, Volcarona, Zapdos, Staraptor, Thundurus... basically anything Fire or Flying which outspeeds Leavanny if they have speed EVs too, or in the case of Blaziken, Speed Boost.

Last edited:

Carnax

Dark Dragoon
My personal set for Leavanny:

Critical Blade
Adamant/Jolly nature
252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
Ability: Overcoat
Hold item: Scope Lens
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Shadow Claw
Poison Jab

I know that Chlorophyll is usually used so that Leavanny can get the speed in, but in my gaming style, I don't really incorporate weather conditions, and what with Sandstorm and Hail constantly being a threat, I feel Overcoat is good for resisting those weather conditions. Moveset is pretty standard, Leaf Blade serves as STAB, high power and high critical hit ratio, further boosted by Scope Lens. X-Scissor also serves as STAB, and helps to cover a fair few types. Shadow Claw is also boosted by Scope Lens, so there's justified reason to run this move. The final move I use is Poison Jab, but this is down to personal preference. It can be dropped in favour of a move like Aerial Ace (useful for taking down other Leavanny), but it can also be dropped in favour of Swords Dance (just as long as you're sure your one can survive a hit). :542:

DSpanky1

Battle Hut Elite
Poison Blades

Jolly nature
252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
Ability: Chlorophyll
Hold item: Focus Sash
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Toxic
Protect

This is move set is more suited for a team using Sunlight and works well in double battles. With sunlight activated, Jolly nature and the EVs in speed, you can outrun many pokemon in UU. Toxic will badly poison pokemon who aren't immune (Poison, Steel, and Pokemon with Immunity). This might force a switch or leave one pokemon badly poisoned. Using protect will help stall Toxic as well as scout for attacks the opponent will use. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are the strongest physical STAB moves Leavanny can learn. If you do get outrun, Focus Sash will prevent a OHKO and you will still be able to use Toxic and poison a pokemon.

Partners

Looking for possible partners, Ninetales is the perfect candidate due to it's DW ability Drought. With continuous sunlight, Leavanny is surprisingly fast and will be able to poison any pokemon (vice poison, steel, and pokemon with Immunity).

Counters

Any Fire, Steel, Poison, and Flying pokemon will bring trouble to Leavanny. Skarmory comes to mind, only receiving 1/4 damage from both attacks and resisting Toxic.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Important: For anyone who doesn't know yet... Like 3 posts above, most Flying types do not use their Flying STAB.

Chlorophyll Hone Claws seems like a REALLY Good set. 92% Sleep is good when you're really fast, since most of the time you can get 2 Hone Claws. Probably one of the only sets you'll see in OU.

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Ooh Leavanny. We are getting somewhere.

Every Leavanny's Set
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-X-Scissor
-Return/Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
Ability: Chlorophyll/Swarm/Overcoat
Item Attached: Focus Sash/Life Orb/Expert Belt
Leavanny works great in Sunny Day teams, and w/decent Speed, it can outrun OU Pokes. So, SD is great a boost and you don't see much Bug Pokemon with SD. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor for obvious STAB moves. The rest is a filler and great decent coverage.

Flail
-Flail
-Substitute
-Leaf Blade/Leaf Storm/X-Scissor
-Shadow Claw/Aerial Ace/Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)/Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
Ability: Chlorophyll/Overcoat
Item Attatched: Focus Sash
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd or 4 HP/189 Atk/63 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
Under Sunny Day w/Chlorophyll, Leavanny can work a Flail set pretty well. Substitute to get your HP down without worries. If for some reason another Poke attacks and outspeeds you, Focus Sash will save you and now you are at max damage for Flail. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are your obvious choices for a STAB move. Leaf Storm is worth mentioning to get some mix sweeping action. The rest are fillers.

Choice Band
-Leaf Blade
-X-Scissor
-Aerial Ace/Return/Shadow Claw
-Aerial Ace/Return/Shadow Claw
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
Ability: Chlorophyll/Swarm/Overcoat
Item Attatched: Choice Band
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Spd
Similar to the SD set, but just running Choice Band. No need for explanation actually.

Last edited:
Apart from all the bad points that have allready been pointed out, Leavanny does have two points which could catch your opponent out.

1. Guarenteed Sleep! (Sleepanny)

Leavanny has 2 ways of setting this up.

Sleepanny/U]

Mind Reader
Grasswhistle
Aerial Ace
Leaf Blade

Item - Focus Sash
Ability - Overcoat
Nature - Jolly
Ev's - 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP

A good set for taking out a lot of bulky water grass and ground types
Set up with Mind Reader and put to sleep on your second go. Focus Sash will keep you alive and Overcoat will stop you being wiped out by Hail/Sandstorm.
Grass & Flying gives you very good type coverage but you are WALLED by steels. Just be aware of Priority Moves!

This can also be set up using Hone Claws as in this move set

Hone Claws
Grasswhistle
Aerial Ace
Leaf Blade

Would also boost your attack power, however you would need at least 2 Hone claws to get your accuracy decent enough (92%) by which time it is likely your'd be dead.

2. Camouflage

Could work well as a suprise set. The opponant is going to expect to be able to take you out with one hit (because of your BIG weaknesses). However Camoflague takes those weaknesses away as (in competitive play) it will change your type to Normal. (which gives Return STAB)

Camouflage
Return
X Scissor
Leaf Blade

Ability - Swarm

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
This set probably has little to no viability, but here goes:

Stabby stabby

Leavanny @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant Nature, 252ATK/252SPD/4HP
Swarm/Chlorophyll

-Camouflage
-X-Scissor/Shadow Claw
-Leaf Blade/Shadow Claw
-Return

It's all about hitting hard with STAB, which is the reason for X-Scissor and Leaf Blade. Camouflage removes Leavanny's unsightly 4x weaknesses to Fire and the rarer but no less threatening Flying at the cost of STAB on one or both of its main attacks. Return is the replacement STAB, and Shadow Claw lets you hit Ghosts that would otherwise be immune to Return.

Ideally, you'd want a Rock-type to cover you in case for some reason Camouflage isn't an option. The best examples I can think of are Aerodactyl due to its Speed and Terrakion due to its bulk. Garchomp and any Bulky Water work too. And as odd as it may sound, Flareon is a good partner. Switch in on a Fire attack, Wish on your opponent's switch, and let the cards fall where they may. Best-case scenario, Flareon lives to Baton Pass the hell outta there, worst-case, it dies and Leavanny gets the Wish anyway. Lastly, Drought Ninetales is one of, if not the ideal partner for the Chlorophyll set. Base 283 Speed becomes Base 566 in sunny weather, in which case, Adamant is the preferred nature.

Again, I'm not an expert on the 5th Gen metagame by any means, but I'm doing my damndest to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.