• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Something completely random that I just cooked up :L

They never saw this coming...
Ability: Sheer Force
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Aqua Tail|Iron Tail
Rock Climb| Earthquake
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang

Ok it's a set that I just realised has potential.
Yes I know that there's not STAB buuuut, it has the Water/Normal combo and a psuedo Bolt/Beam combo also, which is nice. If you want you can use Iron Tail and earthquake to get some STAB :)
Belive me, no one will expect the "first" version...
IV's in attack, then Spec Defence and finally Hp.

Aqua Tail can't be on a move-set with Sheer Force. Aqua Tail is a 4thGen Move-Tutor and Sheer Force is BW only. Otherwise, the sets fine, but Water/Normal combo isn't too good with Water Absorb Jellicent out now. One more thing: Rock Climb? Return is almost always the best Normal-Type move you can use, barring Special and DoubleEdge usually... Speaking of which you could run Double-Edge with the other moves, if you wanted to.

Rethinking, you could just run Water/Normal with Thunder Fang to cover Jellicent. That last move could be changed though, maybe to Fire Fang, Bug/Grass and Ferrothorn will be annoying if you lack it.

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Aqua Tail can't be on a move-set with Sheer Force. Aqua Tail is a 4thGen Move-Tutor and Sheer Force is BW only. Otherwise, the sets fine, but Water/Normal combo isn't too good with Water Absorb Jellicent out now. One more thing: Rock Climb? Return is almost always the best Normal-Type move you can use, barring Special and DoubleEdge usually... Speaking of which you could run Double-Edge with the other moves, if you wanted to.

Rethinking, you could just run Water/Normal with Thunder Fang to cover Jellicent. That last move could be changed though, maybe to Fire Fang, Bug/Grass and Ferrothorn will be annoying if you lack it.

Ok... It was theoretical... Urm rock climb gets equal power to double edge, if my maths serves correctly due to sheer force... hmmm, kay.... there's nothing to replace aqua tail, so you could replace it with iron tail... or earthquake... like i said it was more theoretical... stupid steelix :L

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Not really stupid, just not simply built. Kind of like Camerupt, but it has b200Def, so Steelix is a bit more obvious.

And, if you had Aqua Tail, you'd want to run DoublEdge+Rock Head so you can have the similar power. Makes sense, 'cause Aqua Tail rocks, in my opinion.

wunderkind

Always use curse over harden. Double team is illegal in standard play. Dragon tail over roar as some damage is better then no damage. Oh, and for rock move, you want stone edge, and for ground you want earthquake. No steel move, though?

It is? I never realized double team was illegal... just thought no one used it :p

I suppose steel could be used, I mostly put "rock-move/ground-move" because they're STAB. Any move could be used, I just put those in case someone wanted to go more offensive.

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
StallLix
- Rock Polish
- Block
- Toxic
- Rest / Substitute / Protect / Gyro Ball / Earthquake / Sandstorm
Item Attached: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Evs and Nature:
252 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Def
Sassy nature [ +SpD, -Spe ]

This is a nice little trap and toxic stall set. Block, Toxic, stall. Rock Polish is to speed up while stalling so you may out speed the next opponent that comes in. The final move is just either to help your survivability or so you are not blatant taunt bait. Also if your run gyro ball you may want to throw one of the other bottom moves up and replace rock polish.

You can't use 756 Evs.

Spore0

help find my seacow~
Support-lix
Steelix @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Careful (+SpD, - SpA)
EVs: 160 Def / 252 SP Def / 98 Attack
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Explosion / Fire Fang

Support Steelix. Stealth Rock is to get some damage on some switch-ins. Dragon Tail is for spreading the Rocks and phazing pokemon for a safe switch-in. Toxic is to do some damage. Explosion, even though nerfed, is to go out with a boom. You could also opt out for fire fang to decimate steel types, which resist rocks, dragon tail, and carries toxic immunity.

160 Defense EVS makes Steelix's insane defense even more insane. Careful nature and 252 Sp Def Evs are for maximum special survival, so Steelix can't be OHKO'd. Sturdy aids with this, so you can atleast get rocks up. 98 Attack is to make explosion hurt. Simplistic set. Could be useful if you have a good plan.

Last edited:

365pokemon

It is? I never realized double team was illegal... just thought no one used it :p

I suppose steel could be used, I mostly put "rock-move/ground-move" because they're STAB. Any move could be used, I just put those in case someone wanted to go more offensive.

Lol if people could use it, if someone got up three or for on a poke with sand veil or snowcloak and brightpowder... NOTHING WOULD HIT!

Zachmac

An eviolite onix could work, right? BTW, the pokedex says onix has a x2 weakness to ice, when it only takes x1 because of it's rock typing.

Physically Defensive
Onix
Impish/252HP/252def/4sp.def
Eviolite/Sturdy
-Toxic
-Curse/Harden
-Sand Tomb
-Rest/Protect

With these EVs and nature, it has 274 HP and 690 defense. Then, with curse/harden just once, it moves up to 1,035 defense.

Use sand tomb on a physical attacker, then start boosting. With the enemy trapped, it can't be countered, and will completely wall the enemy. Curse works if you are being careful about Struggle, but Harden keeps it at decent defense. Rest is it's only recover move, and protect stacks on Sand Tomb/Toxic.

Mixed Defenses
Onix
Careful/252def/252sp.def/4HP
Eviolite/Sturdy
-Dragon Tail/Roar/StealthRock
-Sand Storm
-Toxic
-Rest

With a sandstorm, it gos to 632 defense and 460 sp.defense, however, with just 212 HP.

The first is for Phazing, Sandstorm boost sp.def, toxic stalls, and rest is it's only means of recovery, and it also helps it act as a status absorber.

Parafusion
Onix
sassy/252def/252sp.def/4HP
Eviolite/Sturdy
-BodySlam/DragonBreath/SecretPower
-Swagger
-Rest
-Snore

Start the battle with the first move to try and paralyze. Body slam is suggested, but Dragon Breath and Secret power also work. With it's massive defense, Onix isn't afraid of using swagger at all. Rest is for recovery and for boosting it's defense. I know it sucks, Snore has a good chance of causing the enemy to flinch, being even more annoying. This could also work for Steelix, but without snore and dragon breath, and with leftovers.
Lol if people could use it, if someone got up three or for on a poke with sand veil or snowcloak and brightpowder... NOTHING WOULD HIT!
Fought one of random matchup...I got rage quitted when scissor used aerial ace. :D

Anyway, on topic...
Support-lix
Steelix @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy / Sheer Force
Nature: Careful (+SpD, - SpA)
EVs: 252 HP /160 SP Def / 98 Attack
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail/ Roar
- Toxic
- Explosion / Fire Fang / Earthquake / Iron Tail
Changes in bold. Roar is more accurate then Dragon Tail, while earthquake is STABed. You could also add taunt somewhere, it is support, after all. Encourage boost Fire Fang. Iron tail is usable if you're using Encourage to, but it's risky. Always add HP, it helps both defenses, and is better since it isn't Eviolite.

You could sacrifice some attack/sp.def for more def, to.

Last edited:

windsong

WEST SIDE
@Epic_Eevee: Listen. I meant OU, which Lugia is obviously not allowed. I know I'm not the best at this. C'mon. I've just got a stubborn side.
I didn't say jack **** about Lugia. I said that Hippowdon, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc. are all better physical walls than Steelix.
Also, I actually don't have WiFi, but I can still make teams. Metagross/Tyranitar/Lucario/Garchomp/Reuniclus/Ryperior is my current one I'm working on. I despise all the designs but two, and so I believe I know how to battle. Besides, that was a gimmick set.
lolperior. Also that team is SD Dory weak, j/s. And it's also sort of weak to Gengar unless that's the gimmicky Bullet Punch/Pursuit Metagross (who isn't really good in this meta for any purpose except trapping Gengar, olol). And if you've never played competitively that means you're basing everything off theorymon which flat out doesn't work.
Leaving this post to be discredited is not my doing.

Pointing out Steelix's only defence boosting move is Defence Curl, to save this from being Deleted. [ Edit: Curse is also a defense boosting move for him, I missed it. ]
Why would you waste a slot on a defense boosting move on something with base 200 defense. It's useless.

Better than my last set.
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Relaxed/Brave
Item: Air Balloon/Passho Berry/Occa Berry/Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defence, 4 Atk
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake
-Curse
-Gyro Ball

An OK wall, if I may state my opinion. 548 Maxed Defence is crazy high, and only super-effective moves cause enough damage [ Barring Special, ], so thats what the Berries and Balloon is for. Curse and Gyro Ball have good synergy together, and Dragon Tail causes switches, while Earthquake covers opposing Steels if they're not Skarmory or Bronzong. IF it gets demoted to UU, then Steelix will have an absolutely miraculous time there, and this set can prove deadly there, too.
Set wants Leftovers, there's no reason whatsoever to max defense, especially when you're using Curse. Max Special Defense instead, or run enough attack to ko stuff at +1. Sheer Force is sort of useless on that set, isn't it? Better to use Sturdy, honestly, or run QuakEdge or something. And it's going to be UU. Heck, it's already UU, being ranked at 175th by smogon usage stats.
| 175 | Steelix | 2207 | 0.3683 |
That's less usage than Aron and Probopass, olol.

Last edited:

Fatal1ty

My take I've been using since Gen 4.

Steelix@Leftovers
Sturdy
Sassy(+Sp. Def, -Spd)
252 HP, 196 Sp. Def, 60 Def

Earthquake
Gyro Ball
Curse
Stealth Rock

The lead set I use is a variant of a Curse-lix set. Sassy Nature because its Defense is already high enough, and needs that extra Sp. Defense to protect it from those Special Water moves. Curse brings up its Attack and Defense, while harshly reducing speed. This is good, it not only brings up the power of Earthquake and Gyro Ball, it gives the latter a boost from reduced speed. Stealth Rock is self explanatory on a lead set. Hope you liked it.

365pokemon

Set wants Leftovers, there's no reason whatsoever to max defense, especially when you're using Curse. Max Special Defense instead, or run enough attack to ko stuff at +1. Sheer Force is sort of useless on that set, isn't it? Better to use Sturdy, honestly, or run QuakEdge or something. And it's going to be UU. Heck, it's already UU, being ranked at 175th by smogon usage stats.
| 175 | Steelix | 2207 | 0.3683 |
That's less usage than Aron and Probopass, olol.

Do you have any actual sets, epiceevee? And aron has the whole endeavor/sturdy thing, which actually really works, and can sweep ubers teams if they don't have ghosts. Maybe probopass is better then steelix, but so what? We can still make movesets for it.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
You know what Epic_Eevee? I don't care. I really don't. This POTW thing is supposed to be about Theoretical Best Pokemon, which I know Mountains about. Guess what? It doesn't matter. Come on, you don't flame Reno every time he says "Its design is cool" in the POTW, do you? Obviously, you don't. You're just some narscisistic and obnoxious person that believe when you put "Battles won: 9001 (!?!?1!?!?!?1!?) Loss: 0" as your Signature you think its funny. Its not.

By the way, I'm from the south. I will win this arguement.

On a POTW note,
...I'll edit later, I can't save this post right now.

windsong

WEST SIDE
You know what Epic_Eevee? I don't care. I really don't. This POTW thing is supposed to be about Theoretical Best Pokemon, which I know Mountains about. Guess what? It doesn't matter. Come on, you don't flame Reno every time he says "Its design is cool" in the POTW, do you? Obviously, you don't. You're just some narscisistic and obnoxious person that believe when you put "Battles won: 9001 (!?!?1!?!?!?1!?) Loss: 0" as your Signature you think its funny. Its not.

Okay, you just don't get it, do you. I could theorymon my *** off, but it doesn't mean half as much as my ladder achievements and tournaments wins and placements. And you know what, I know a ton of players who are incredibly good on the theorymon basis but are average at best at the actual game. Just gonna say that.

Secondly, you're not even good at the theorymonning, since you clearly don't even know what you're talking about. Literally every single set that you've posted has had not one, but several crucial flaws and reasons why it won't work.

Thirdly, I'm just gonna say this flat out -- I made obnoxious and narcissistic posts because I can back them up because the majority of the good competitive community here knows me and knows that I know what I'm talking about. Hell, why are you even bringing up my signature -- it's not of importance; I'm telling you why the sets you're listing have no place in competitive battling, and all you're backing it up with is whining about how you're not really new to this game and trying to pretend that you're an expert.

You already lost bro. And I don't even want it to be an argument, I just want you to get better at this game in hopes that in the future you'll actually contribute some good sets to this.

edit: @365pokemon: I said the thing about Aron and Probopass to show that Steelix has even less usage than dumb gimmicks because mr weathereffectrain seems to think that Steelix is OU.
edit2: @weathereffectrain: the fact that you awknowledge my post only with "i don't care" is really disappointing, actually. It shows that you're completely unwilling to learn, and thus not likely to be a good member of the competitive pokemon community. I used to be a really bad competitive player making really dumb posts, and it took better players who actually knew what they were talking about all flaming me for a bit for me to get better. And I manned up and took it and now I'm probably in the top percentile of competitive players on this site. You can get way better if you listen to what others say, but if you don't, it's honestly pointless talking to you. =/

Last edited:
You know what Epic_Eevee? I don't care. I really don't. This POTW thing is supposed to be about Theoretical Best Pokemon, which I know Mountains about.

Most people here aren't going to rigorously test Leavanny, but its preferred if sets you post aren't all theorymon.

I think generally the north wins those.

Also Epic Eevee most / all of your points are valid but I would appreciate it if you could contribute a bit. Obviously Leavanny isn't worth your / anyone's effort but Steelix at least is SOMEWHAT usable... well, more so than Swallot.

I think generally the north wins those.

>.>

Anyways, despite its weaknesses, low HP, and lack of recovery, Onix has some pretty amazing defenses in a Sandstorm and while holding the Evolite. I mean, is there anything else in the game with such awesome defensive stats? (seriously, is there? I'm too lazy to look...)

My advice, run Onix in a Sandstorm if you want to use him. And with the Evolite. And you might want RestTalk for recovery. And packing a some Water/Fighting/Grass/Steel/Ground/Ice immunities/resistances would be great. He's got the defenses, he just needs a boatload of support.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Gravity Steelix

Steelix@Expert Belt/Life Orb
Adamant - Sheer Force
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def
-Earthquake
-Iron Tail
-Fire Fang
-Stone Edge/Protect/Dragon Tail

A Gravity sweeper. Earthquake is awesome. Iron Tail is awesome, never misses in Gravity, and is even stronger than Earthquake because of Sheer Force. Fire Fang gets more power with Sheer Force and eats Ferrothorn. Last slot is up to you. Stone Edge for extra coverage, Protect if you're running this guy in Doubles or Triples, and Dragon Tail for forced switching, which, in Gravity, every pokemon on their team will be vulnerable to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, bringing more merit to Entry Hazards in Doubles and Triples.

-

Also, while I'm here, could it be possible to have a less biased writing in these POTW pages? I mean, I'm not trying to defend the UU pokemon who get their pages written up, but it makes us look elitist when we say that 'this pokemon sucks, use something else'. I mean, at least on Smogon they say in detail what makes the pokemon bad or outclassed by others and they try to make the best set with what the pokemon has. And if you're going to show me Farfetch'd, at least show me a pokemon set of theirs that we've already covered.

Just saying.

asterat

Banned
steelix

steelix is an kay pokemon. His only function ever has been a physical wall. His defense is crazy and caps at 568. His sppedi is awful, his attacks are okay and his HP is pretty good. Steelix is a steel ground combo so he gets 2 good STABs out of iron head and earthquake. His bestf function is probably stopping outrage dead in its tracks and leaving the powerful sweeper confused.
Moves:
Rocks:
WALL
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Iron Head/ Crunch
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Iron Head/ Crunch
Swagger/ Dragon Tail
Stealth Rock
The attacks make him fairly competent for something asking for it, say Chharizard and stone edge. Swagger is annoying and if they attack it hardly matters anyway against steelix. Stealth rock is always good for bugs, the almost certain fire and the definite flying everyone has. Dragon Tail forces stealth rock to work and does damage going out. Sweet.
Max

asterat

Banned
Evs max attack your gonna ned it 252
Give 150ish to sp defense and give the rest to hp you can split that up as you like
Use sher force rpock head is useless and sturdy is banned wel the mocves are

Status
Not open for further replies.