• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

51.png

This week we'll be doing Dugtrio, a classic Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/051.shtml

Dugtrio hasn't been done in a while and is key on Sandstorm teams, especially now it has Sand Force

Go nuts.

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Sweet advantage of time zones :3

Sub Plus 3 Attacks
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
Item Attached: Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil/Sand Force
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)/Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)
Sub Plus 3 Attacks, imo, is the best offensive set for Dugtrio. With a base 120 Speed stat, it can set up its sub before being attacked and can sweep. EQ and Stone Edge for QuakeEdge coverage. Dugtrio can pull off Sucker Punch very nicely since everybody is just gonna beat the crap out of it.

Toxic Trapper
-Toxic
-Protect
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch/Earthquake/Stone Edge
Item Attached: Leftovers/Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd (obviously needs fixing i think)
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
This one is a beeeast! Toxic to do some damage. Protect to Toxic Stall. Sub to stall out more. Sucker Punch is gonna hit almost everything since every player trapped in this situation just wants to kill Dugtrio. Earthquake hits hardest. Stone Edge hits the Flying types that want to escape the Arena Trap.

SPECS-TRIO?!
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Echoed Voice
-Final Gambit
Item Attached: Choice Specs
Ability: Sand Veil/Arena Trap
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
Modest Nature (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
I'm going gimmicky on this one. Earth Power for the STAB move. Hidden Power (Fire) hits 2 of its weaknesses, Grass and Ice. Echoed Voice is interesting to use with Arena Trap. Final Gambit to some decent damage to the opponent, but if you had max HP, then you can do a lot more damage. Max HP EVs is an option on this set, but you still need room for Sp.Atk and Speed EV's.

I've probably taken most of the fun so, I'm done for now :3

Edit: Deleted some sets because I felt majorly sorry for you guys

Last edited:
Sweet advantage of time zones :3

Sub Plus 3 Attacks
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
Item Attached: Life Orb
EV's and Nature:
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)/Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Banded-Trio
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Return/Aerial Ace
Item Attached: Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force/Arena Trap
EV's and Nature:

Toxic Trapper
-Toxic
-Protect
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch/Earthquake/Stone Edge
Item Attached: Leftovers/Focus Sash
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd (obviously needs fixing i think)

WTF CAN I SHARPEN?!
-Hone Claws
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
Item Attached: Focus Sash/Life Orb
EV's and Nature:
Jolly Nature(+Spd, -Sp.Atk)

Lead/Support
-Stealth Rock
-Substitute/Toxic
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Sucker Punch
Item Attached: Focus Sash/Leftovers
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 124 HP/132 Atk/252 Spd

SPECS-TRIO?!
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Echoed Voice
-Final Gambit
Item Attached: Choice Specs
EV's and Nature:
EV's: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd
Modest Nature (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)

I've probably taken most of the fun so, I'm done for now :3

And there we have it! once again in the first week, our POTW is done!

on topic, hasn't dugtrio gotten slowly out done each passing gen(would post a set but ^ took all of mine)

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Hehe sorry. Just had to take advantage and there's no rule on POTW Collab for posting that many sets (i hope) :3 anyways, need to stay on topic and Dugtrio didn't really gain much from the Gen shift, but Sand Force is its best gain. Dugtrio will obviously work best in a Sandstorm team so its good to bring Ttar and/or Hippowdon to the team. A good counter is Brongzong since it resists almost all of Dugtrio's attacks. An offensive Brongzong with no investment can kill Dugtrio easily with a Gyro Ball or two since its so frail. Not much to talk about partners but Sip Sapper Azumarill can cover it well.

Last edited:

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Nope. Might as well abuse trapping Scarf / Specs Raikou or something into an Electric move and Hone Claws while their hopeless.

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron
I still want to do Slaking
Anyway, this gut is ridiculously fast and has good attack, so he makes a good UU physical sweeper. But he can also be a decent lead.
So...
Dugtrio@leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def, -Satk)
EVs:252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Moves: Substitute
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Pursuit

Substitute lets you survive a hit. Stealth Rock is amazing and at the core of most leads. Earthquake is for STAB, and Pursuit is in case something tries to switch into you.

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
Because I know that "SazandoraMASTER" 's F5 had no rest in the past hour to be the first to post ;P .. i will make some alternative sets...

Evasive enough!? (I was told that "double team" was banned so i made this: )

-Sand Attack/Mud-Slap
-Screech
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Sucker Punch/Tri Attack
Item Attached: Bright Powder
Ability: Sand Veil

EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Alright... This is a very simple set! Haters gonna hate you to death!
Bright Powder+Sand Veil= 0.68% accuracy to your foe + one successful Mud-Slap/Sand Attack= 0,55%!
With that low acc. you can try set up one Screech and then sweep!
Stone Edge has more power but Rock Slide has more acc. and goes well against levitates and fly type's that will try to evade Earthquake, you can use Sucker Punch but the foe has to attack.. or you can go with Tri Attack which is always nice because it can freeze, paralyze or burn, it's up to you.

WARNING: this set also works no Doubles and Triples, but in that case I would take Rock Slide instead.

------------------------"----------------------------
I don't know if you're going to make a corner for Diglett but here is my contribution:

That Little Mole!!!
-Toxic
-Protect
-Dig
-Pursuit/Rock Slide
Attached: Leftovers/Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap/Sand Force/Sand Veil

EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Toxic the enemy and Protect and Dig your way to Victory! If you're running Arena Trap don't use Pursuit! Sand Force makes you hit harder and Sand Veil allows you to "maybe" live a bit longer.

You can also try to use this set on Dugtrio!

Last edited:

SazandoraMASTER

♥ PSG ♥
Pursuit is in case something tries to switch into you.

Uhh the set you suggested had Arena Trap so unless the foe's lead is a Flying type or has Levitate, which you'll barely see, it won't really come in handy. Sand Veil is better for a lead with Pursuit.

@ilucado: i just saw the post by serebii, so why not stop by :3

Last edited:

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Hate this guy... there aren't many that I hate, but he is one of them... WHERE ARE HIS GODDAM FEET!

Whacka mole
Item: Rocky Helmet/Dark Gem/Rock Gem/Whatever you want.
Nature: Adamant (+atk, - Spatk)
Ability: Sand Force/Sand Veil
Moves:
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Hone Claws
Ok, basic set, hit 'Em hard stay in for a bit...
earthquake gets fire 'n' electric 'n' steel 'n' rock
Sucker Punch is his only priority move, and gets ghost and psychic
Stone edge gets only flying otherwise it's just a nice bit of ooomph
Hone claws to up attack and the accuracy (for stone edge)
Item wise, i just selected what i thought would be god for him... rocky helmet is better for ferrothorn...
EV-wise: 252 Atk, 252 Hp, 4 Def.

You're trapped, Mwahahaha.
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Moves:
Toxic
Swagger
Mud Slap/Sand attack/Substitute/Protect
Earthquake/Stone Edge/Sucker Punch

Ok the trick here is to use Swagger, and then Toxic to whittle their health down.
Mud Slap/Sand Attack works well here cus you're trying to stay alive for as long as possible, you could use protect or substitute if you'd rather do that.
Last slot is to stop you being taunt bait.
One thing to watch out for is Simple Beam etc. cus that will eliminate this set completely...
EV wise: 252 Hp, 128 Def, 128 SpDef

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
Uhh the set you suggested had Arena Trap so unless the foe's lead is a Flying type or has Levitate, which you'll barely see, it won't really come in handy. Sand Veil is better for a lead with Pursuit.

@ilucado: i just saw the post by serebii, so why not stop by :3

WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON!? 'CAUSE I LIKE THIS GUY!! xD

Last edited:

stenli

Flabebes
Whaaa? What I supposed to write now... (°~°")
Dugtrio is pure awesomeness, it's sad seeing only few player using this guy.

Sand Force can be used to trick your foe to think the Dug has Arena Trap. Unless if those abilities somehow notify the opponent.

MonkeyX

Mementrio
Earthquake
stone edge
sucker punch
Memento
Item:focus sash
Ability:Arena Trap
Evs and Nature:
252 speed 252 atk
Jolly nature (+speed,-SPatk)

Memento is great on Dugtrio. For those who dont know it lowers both the opponents attack stats by 2 stages but it also kills dugtrio allowing a sweeper to set up. Earthquake is STAB and stone edge and sucker punch are for more coverage.

UsernameSayWha?

Hates Hidden Power
This could be used for Rocks/Anti-Lead

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Arena Trap
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Adamant/Jolly
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake/Aerial Ace/Filler
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Thought of another few... on the Wii...

Lead-trio
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, - SpAtk)
Item: Focus Sash
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Memento
Toxic/ Sunny Day/ Sandstorm/ Mudslap/ Taunt
Dig/Earthquake

Ok the main aim of this set is to set up stealth rock.
After this if you feel that your opponent is gonna kill you use memento, that's the reason that it's there, to give your next switch in an easy time.
The next move is again all about setting up, Toxic can do some nice damage, if used correctly, sunny day gives scope for solar beamers or fire types or chlorophyll users. Sandstorm is good for sand veil (can't use sand force because of the stealth rock being from 4th gen) Mudslap to lower accuracy. taunt to stop entry hazards.
Last move is to stop you being taunt bait, use dig if you have toxic or sand storm, for everything else use earthquake.
EV wise: 252 Spd, 252 Hp, 4 Atk.

Reverse-endure
Item: Salac Berry/ Liechi Berry
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Ability: Sand Force/Veil
Moves:
Endure
Reversal
Screech
Earthquake

Your Standard Endure-Reversal set... ish, you use Screech, then Endure, then Reversal. Earthquake is if you think that It'll for better than Reversal.
Liechi Berry will boost your attack to better levels, but salac berry will allow you to definately hit first with reversal.
EV Wise: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 Hp.

Other things...
You could run a res-talk set with him, it would give him a recovery move, of sorts...
There is scope for a special-orientated set, but don't he has BAD special attack.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Dugtrio@Focus Sash
Arena Trap/Sand Veil/Sand Force
Jolly nature
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Hone Claws
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge/Reversal/Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
~Stone Edge/Reversal/Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch

Dugtrio's finally gained a means of significantly boosting its Attack stat that doesn't lock it into using only one move; Hone Claws. Earthquake goes without saying; nice, physical STAB, an obvious staple on any Dugtrio set. As for the other two moves... Stone Edge works well with Earthquake, as the two moves together provide nearly unresisted coverage (only resisted by Flygon, and even then, only because of Levitate). Not to mention, Stone Edge also benefits from Hone Claws's accuracy boost. Shadow Claw and Reversal, however, provide absolutely unresisted coverage. Also, what with the Focus Sash and Dugtrio's crappy defenses, Dugtrio is bound to be knocked down to 1 HP extremely quickly, making Reversal an extremely effective choice. Sucker Punch is also an option. It provides slightly less effective coverage alongside Reversal, but as this particular Dugtrio is toppled by priority moves, it only makes sense that Dugtrio should have a priority move of its own.

The item, Focus Sash, is there to ensure that Dugtrio gets a Hone Claws under its belt, as its defenses are laughable. As for the ability, any one of Dugtrio's abilities work here. Arena Trap allows Dugtrio to be switched in on, say, a choice'd Thunderbolt, and set up to its heart's content (hearts' contents?). As Dugtrio isn't designed to take a hit of any sort, however, caution is advised. Sand Veil allows Dugtrio a slight chance that it might be able to get in a second Hone Claws, or else evade a priority move that would otherwise end it. Sand Force powers up Earthquake and Stone Edge, but as it's not actually legal on Dugtrio yet, it shouldn't be much of a concern yet.

Kraleck

Counters
-Anything that can get past 120 Base Speed and Sandstorm will punch a huge hole into Dugtrio. Aerodactyl can do this easily and is immune to Dugtrio's STAB.
-Sand Rush Pokemon can be a hassle with non-Arena Trap Dugtrio.
-Weather Makers like Drizzle-toed and Drought-tales can bog down Dugtrio's Sand Veil/Sand Force efforts. Abomasnow-Warning can do more than slow its efforts down.
-Magic Guard 'Zam is an issue with tied Speed and Energy Ball/Grass Knot.

I love how so many of you seem to think Dugtrio hasn't changed when he has been gifted with Memento, THIS IS HUGE. Memento is perfect for Dugtrio, its literally the best thing he could ask for. Its allows you to effectively set up dual screens on any Pokemon you want in one turn. Run LIFE ORB (Not Focus Sash.. unless its a lead I guess) and kill things early game. Once Dugtrio's primary targets have been wiped out Memento on some wall that thinks it walls you and set up a sweeper.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Jolly
Arena Trap
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Defense

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Sucker Punch
Memento

Its just as good at revenge killing as it used to be but now it can explode itself and set up a sweep. I used this set on PO's LU tier and got to #1 and held it for two weeks without losing once. All I had to do is kill something, then Memento and set up a sweep. It was so easy.

Pretty much all other Dugtrio are terrible compared to the above set. A Stealth Rocking lead could have some uses I guess.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Okay, I think Dugtrio has always been hilarious. Just the thought of it. Three-headed mole who's shiny form has Blue noses. Its hilarious.

Anyways, he's a frail Physical Sweeper or a Lead? I can do that.

Lead-Sweeper?
Ability: Sand Force/Arena Trap
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Stealth Rock
-Reversal/Memento

Not too original, I just kind of put what everyone else had into this. I couldn't figure out which ability, but Arena Trap is always better unless you're in a Sandstorm, then go with Sand Force, unless you still prefer Arena Trap. FSash is for surviving a hit as you usually wouldn't. Earthquake is that strong STAB, Stone Edge is good paired with it, Stealth Rock for set-up, Reversal or Memento as your probable last move. Reversal if you have a chance at surviving, Memento if you don't.

Also, Aqua Jet can ruin Dugtrio, making Sharpedo a good revenge-killer.
[ Wait, nevermind. I checked and saw he gets Speed Boost and Retaliate. Would that make him BL/OU? I mean, -Er, nevermind. Sharpedo is not the topic right now... ]

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
This combines some of the ones I've already seen here, but I believe it outpowers all of them:

Dugtrio@Liechi Berry
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

~Substitute
~Hone Claws
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge

Dugtrio uses Substitute, waiting for an opening, and uses Hone Claws as soon as he gets one. Liechi helps as he gets down to 25% HP. Hone Claws's accuracy boost also allows him to use the more inaccurate, but more powerful, Stone Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.