• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurath8

Counters: Swellow, Crobat, Aerodactyl. one Brave Bird/Earthquake OHKos Dugtrio. Weavile's Ice Punch takes care of it. Sceptile and Alakazam both tie with it and have Grass moves to deal with it.
Priority. It absolutely destroys Dugtrio. Azumarill, Mamoswine, Kabutops, Sharpedo, Lapras, Abomasnow, Conkledurr, Hitmontop, Scizor, Lucario, Toxicroak, Arcanine, Dragonite, Dusclops...Anything with at least mediorce attack and priority can ruin Dugtrio thanks to its 35/50/70 defences.

JJtheporcupine

Pokemon hunter
I never expected this... meh. i did this on ma dsi so if speellings bad soz :( um mine:
This took me forever to type!

SuckerSub
Nature: Impish
Item: Leftovers
Sucker Punch
Substitute
Earthquake/Bulldoze
Shadow Claw/Stone edge

To start use substitute, the foe will then atemp to attack making sucker punch a good move. Bulldoze is good for lowering the foes speed and stab, or earthquake to create as much damage as possible, covered by stab. Shadow Claw has a high critical hit ratio so itts useful, but stone edge for those pesky flying/normal types.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Dugtrio's Best Hax Set
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dugtrio @Focus Sash
Jolly
Arena Trap
252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Sucker Punch
Protect
Hone Claws
This is a Dugtrio set meant to work with Truant + Entrainment Durant. Arena Trap prevents my opponent from switching, who becomes useless with me protecting myself on the turns they can attack, hone claws is Dugtrio's best attack raising option, Earthquake provides STAB, Stone Edge benefits from the accuracy boost and gives me the QuakeEdge combo, although Sucker Punch gives me priority

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
Choice Trio
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch / Night Slash
- Aerial Ace / Shadow Claw
Item attached: Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap / Sand Force
EVs and Nature:
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly [+Spe, -SpA] / Adamant [+Atk, -SpA]

With a killer speed, Dugtrio can easily be a great revenge killer. Choice Band lets you hit harder since Dugtrio's attack isn't too stellar, but Choice Scarf with Adamant is worth a mention, so speedy Pokemon like Shell Smash Cloyster and Choice Scarf Garchomp will have some trouble. Earthquake is your main STAB move, strong reliable, and always a great physical move. Stone Edge pairs greatly with Earthquake, cleaning up those Flyings and Bugs and such. Sucker Punch lets you get the priority on other close to finished Pokemon like Cloyster or Alakazam. Night Slash is reliable as well, so you can prevent things like Dusclops and Mismagmius from hitting you with a Will-O-Wisp. Aerial Ace is the safest way to deal with Fighting types that resist Ground/Rock like Virizion, Breloom, Heracross, and such. Shadow Claw is pretty nice, but it's basically a Night Slash unneeded. Memento is cool so you can send in a boost sweeper, and boost on the switch. Adamant hits harder, Jolly outspeeds other threats like Starmie and Cinccino. Arena Trap traps in Pokemon like Magnezone and Darmanitan which is why Dugtrio is seen as a revenge killer. Sand Force boosts your Earthquake and Stone Edge in Sandstorm, making Hippowdon/Tyranitar a cool partner for Dugtrio.

wunderkind

Just curious, but does Sand Force affect only the user's moves or ALL Ground, Rock, and Steel-type moves? If it affects all those moves, than maybe Dugtrio could be used as a supportive Pokemon in Doubles or Triples, right? (although i'm sure there are better pokemon to use)

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Just curious, but does Sand Force affect only the user's moves or ALL Ground, Rock, and Steel-type moves? If it affects all those moves, than maybe Dugtrio could be used as a supportive Pokemon in Doubles or Triples, right? (although i'm sure there are better pokemon to use)

Sand Force only applies to Dugtrio's moves, and anyway, with Dugtrio's awful defenses, it wouldn't last a minute against Double and Triple battle tactic moves like Surf. Dugtrio might be good in Rotation Battles, though. Someone else could put up Sandstorm, and then switch in Dugtrio. He could then quickly use killer moves like Earthquake or Rock Slide.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Okay. I just thought of another great role for Dugtrio: this Dugtrio sets up both Sunny Day / Sandstorm and Stealth Rock. Dugtrio is the fastest pokemon that can do this. (Well, except Speed Deoxys & Aerodactyl from 4th Gen, but who would use sweepers like those on a set like this?)

Dugtrio@Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP

~Sunny Day / Sandstorm
~Stealth Rock
~Reversal
~Sucker Punch

At the very least, this will let you put up both Sunny Day / Sandstorm and Stealth Rock before Dugtrio is KO'ed, paving the way for a Victreebel or something to come in next turn and sweep. At best, Dugtrio will be able to knock out a few pokemon on its own, because of the insane power of Reversal at 1 HP, and the awesome type coverage of his two attacking moves. I wish I could give him Memento, but that's a 5th Gen breeding move, and this is a 4th Gen set.

Last edited:

Lord Zoroark

Master Tactician
Here's a set I've wanted to try.

LUCKY-STALL-SCREW-CHIPPY-TRIO

Ability: Sand Veil (try to have Sandstorm running beforehand)

Item: King's Rock

Beat Up
Dig
Protect
Memento

O.K., the main idea is to use Beat Up with King's Rock to make the opponent flinch. Use Protect every other turn to stall. Use Dig if you feel the winds of opportunity blowing. If you can tell that you're about to get screwed when a counter to the other three moves comes out, use Memento to screw them.

Run max Speed and Attack on this guy. If you don't like Dig or Protect, ditch 'em and swap 'em for Endure and Reversal.

Grenland

Dugtrio the Revenge Killer

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)/Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Final Gambit
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Sucker Punch
- Reversal

The new self-killing move called Final Gambit from 5th generation turns Dugtrio to even more superior revenge killer, being able to deal with Pokemon that normally wouldn't get a scratch from Dugtrio attacks. Earthquake is for STAB. You can choose either Rock Slide if You want to flinch lots of Pokemon due to Dugtrios speed or Stone Edge for power - it's up to you. At a pinch, choose Sucker punch, which works great when someone faster appears.The last slot is reserved for Reversal which is superior when used well. Focus Sash gives it 200 Base Power, and then Dugtrio has an ability to easily defeat enemy. However, beware of priority moves.

365pokemon

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a choice scarf set. Many of dugtrio's counters simply beat it because they are faster. This really puts a damper on your opponents plans when you can send him in and just pick off their sweepers.

Dugtrio@Choice Scarf /w/Arena Trap
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EV's:252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Hp

~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Aerial Ace
~Night Slash/Sucker Punch

Sand veil peopple? Really? Arena trap is by far dugtrio's most useful ability. Anyway, one purpose: revenge kill. Scarf means that you can outspeed almost everything, so you don't need to worry about speed. Earthquake is a STAB with great coverage. Stone edge hits flying types. Aerial ace for killing grass types, and night slash for more coverage (the more you are able to revenge kill, the better), although you can also run sucker punch if you really want.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Leadtrio

Dugtrio @ Quick Claw
Nature: Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk)
EVs: 128 Def/128 SpDef/252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Hone Claws
- Substitute
- Memento

Since it's only a set-up set, it doesn't need any Attack EV.
Instead, it needs some defences EVs to get a couple of hits, just to set up SR and hopefully a couple of HC, before switching with Substitute in favor of a physical sweeper.
Memento is just for things going bad, it kills himself but gives to the opponent -2 in both attacking stats.

Nijaskills

Because I know that "SazandoraMASTER" 's F5 had no rest in the past hour to be the first to post ;P .. i will make some alternative sets...

Evasive enough!? (I was told that "double team" was banned so i made this: )

-Sand Attack/Mud-Slap
-Screech
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Sucker Punch/Tri Attack
Item Attached: Bright Powder
Ability: Sand Veil

EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)

Alright... This is a very simple set! Haters gonna hate you to death!
Bright Powder+Sand Veil= 0.68% accuracy to your foe + one successful Mud-Slap/Sand Attack= 0,55%!
With that low acc. you can try set up one Screech and then sweep!
Stone Edge has more power but Rock Slide has more acc. and goes well against levitates and fly type's that will try to evade Earthquake, you can use Sucker Punch but the foe has to attack.. or you can go with Tri Attack which is always nice because it can freeze, paralyze or burn, it's up to you.

WARNING: this set also works no Doubles and Triples, but in that case I would take Rock Slide instead.

Brightpowder/Lax Incense have been banned too.

Leadtrio

Dugtrio @ Quick Claw
Nature: Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk)
EVs: 128 Def/128 SpDef/252 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Hone Claws
- Substitute
- Memento

Since it's only a set-up set, it doesn't need any Attack EV.
Instead, it needs some defences EVs to get a couple of hits, just to set up SR and hopefully a couple of HC, before switching with Substitute in favor of a physical sweeper.
Memento is just for things going bad, it kills himself but gives to the opponent -2 in both attacking stats.

You have hone claws and no attacking move, quick claw on something that outspeeds everything but Aerodactyl, Jolteon, and Choice Scarfers, and a defensive set on something frailer than Farfetch'd. No. Just no.

Weather Trapper
Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Arena Trap
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpAtk)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw/Memento/Aerial Ace

CB dugtrio works as an excellent weather starter trapper. CB earthquake will KO Ninetales, and always KO's 252/0 Tyranitar after SR, with a small chance to OHKO without. It only really struggles with Politoed, which is barely 2HKO'd after SR to 252/252 Bold Politeod, and only does a minimum of 70% to 0/0. In UU, Stone Edge OHKO's Abomasnow, and Earthquake KO's Vulpix, so it works as a very efficient weather trapper there. Sucker Punch allows it to hit Scarfers and weather sweepers that think they can out-speed Dugtrio. Shadow Claw, Aerial Ace, and Memento are mainly just filler.

Last edited:

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Dugtrio gave me nightmares as a child. Of course, this didn't help...
dugtrio.png

I always thought that they were little humpies that dug under people's houses and...there my imagination ran out. Somehow, not knowing exactly what they did made them scarier...

Anyway, Dugtrio. Very good, super annoying lead with an unorthodox moveset (Sucker Punch, Night Slash, Shadow Claw...it's just a bunch of heads!), and now, Sand Force.

As most of the good movesets have been taken already, I'll start with the partners.

Tyranitar. This means no Earthquake, but because of Sand Force, that makes it okay, a la permanent Sandstorm okay. A risky option is to Sash DDTar, but that's gimmicky because of the fact that the opponent gets to attack, too, so Earthquake is just not recommended. Neither is Sludge Wave. Besides, Dugtrio gets Ground moves that aren't Earthquake, so it's no loss.

Zapdos and Thundurus. I've pulled, in 4th gen, a horribly brilliant Golem/Zapdos combination. That and Shedinja. If I had had a Gliscor, it would have been better, but all I did was cheaply add Skarmory so that I'd have four people in line.

Anyway, the premise was this. Golem (in this case, Dugtrio, which is faster and thus does not require Rock Polish) would use Stealth Rock, while Zapdos would Charge. After that, Dugtrio would use Earthquake, while Zapdos unleashed a Discharge. Then, it was just a matter of what survived, which was usually nothing thanks to Stealth Rock.

And so, I give you the Dugtrio/Zapdos or Thundurus double set that will slay on Battle Subway:

Dugtrio @ Leftovers
Arena Trap
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
~Stealth Rock
~Earthquake
~Sludge Bomb/Sucker Punch/Night Slash
~Stone Edge

Zapdos or Thundurus
Pressure or Prankster
252 Spd/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
~Charge
~Discharge
~Something
~Something

May I recommend Ancientpower for Zapdos, to cover weaknesses, and Psychic for Thundurus, to do the same? Point is, Charge to cover Stealth Rock, then attack with Discharge.

I was going to post another set, but I'm all worn out after cross-referencing Thundurus and Zapdos. It's harder than it looks, especially because they're so different. But Zapdos is better because it was invented first and it has better defenses, so there.

Zapdos fan <3 ;145;

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
^That looks like a awesome well thought-out team. I hope nobody pulls that while I'm playing free random matchups with my new team!

Skyliner

Destruction to all
This is something I have used before.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dugtrio @ Leichi Berry/Focus Sash
Arena Trap
Adamant (+Atk -SpA), Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
4HP 252Atk 252Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Natural Gift/Sucker Punch/Night Slash/Aerial Ace
- Hone Claws

As I said, I've used this set before and it usually takes out 2-3 pokes. Earthquake is a great STAB move. Stone Edge is good for coverage when used with Earthquake. Hone Claws will raise your Attack and Accuracy which makes his Attack over 300 and Stone Edge becomes more accurate. Natural Gift must be used with a leichi berry to become a Grass type base 80 attack to eliminate water weakness. If you eat the berry before, then you an attack boost which is always good. Sucker Punch/ Night Slash are good power moves that provide a little coverage. Choose Sucker Punch if you are good at predicting attacks, use Night Slash if you aren't. Aerial Ace provides more coverage and never misses.

Tbird

Nice shot, man
Sets

Standard

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit / Sucker Punch
- Aerial Ace / Night Slash / Sucker Punch

This has been Dugtrio's standard set ever since Gen III. It's a very cool set for trapping and revenging Pokémon like Alakazam, Heatran and Jolteon. It doesn't aim to sweep any time soon, but rather help a team get rid of random threats that it can hurt with its limited, yet workable movepool.
Earthquake is for STAB, and really hurts with a Choice Band. Stone Edge helps with coverage, and forms the QuakeEdge combo. The last 2 moves are up in the air. Pursuit will mean you can remove psychics as they switch out, Night Slash has more power should they stay in, and Sucker Punch can be used to help against Scarfed Threats. Aerial Ace catches bug types switching in on Earthquakes.
A life orb can work on this set too, however, it is advised to not use Pursuit without Choice Band. Similarly a Choice Scarf can be used to help with things like DD Salamence, and co.

subReversal

Dugtrio (M) @ Black Belt / Salac Berry / Leichi Berry / Muscle Band
Trait: Sand Veil
- Substitute
- Hone Claws / Sucker Punch
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Considering the climate of the metagame, and its heavy sand focus Dugtrio can pull off an OK reversal set. Once behind a sub, you just keep subbing until you're down to one HP and then voila, start smacking things around with 200BP Reversal. Dugtrio does have lacking Atk, so Hone Claws is listed as an option to use, however, you may struggle in actually getting a Hone Claws Boost as Dugtrio doesn't make exactly bulky subs. Reversal is the focus of the set, and Stone Edge Provides pretty decent coverage with Reversal, only being resisted by Gallade (I believe).
Sand Veil is used over Arena Trap here to maybe help you in getting Hone Claws boosts, however, once the Sand Force ability is released, that will be pretty good too, giving Stone Edge 130~ Base Power.
Once the berries are released they will be the optimal items of choice, as with a Salac boost Dugtrio will be pretty much outspeeding all but Sand Rush and Scarfed 120+ pokémon, however a Leichi boost will mean it won't be completely necessary to get the Hone Claws Boost. Until then, however, any atk boosting item will suffice... just don't use leftovers or Life Orb.

Lead

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
- Protect / Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Earthquake / Reversal
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Very much just a suicide lead. Protect on random Fake out leads, use stealth rock, then try and hit something on the way down. On taunt leads, hit them with a Stone Edge, then hit them with it again as they try to lay their own Stealth rocks to get a nifty 2HKO. Sucker Punch is to hit anything that might be faster, or something like a rare Azelf lead. As psychic leads aren't so common at the moment, you can just go for Earthquake over Sucker Punch. Reversal is an option, as chances are you will be put to 1HP eventually, so you can try and fire off a revenge as you go down.

Token Novelty Set

Dugtrio (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spd
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Toxic / Screech
- Earthquake / Protect

Being as fast as it is, in the sand it should find optimal time to rest behind a substitute given its Ability. The idea then is to swagger and toxic / screech all the while subbing until the opponent falls. Swagger + screech means things will be taking pretty much 50% from confusion hitting, where as you can quite easily stall things out with Sub / Confusion as toxic sets in. Earthquake is there as stab and to stop you from being taunt bait, however protect can help with Leftovers recovery.
Arena Trap can be used if you have Leech Seed support, as you can then stall the opponant out with Sub / Protect as toxic and Leech Seed whittles them away.

Ok that set is kinda a bad xD

Counters

In general
Bulky waters, Bulky grassers and anything with some bulk. Unless you're a Fire / Electric / Steel or Rock type, you don't have too much to fear. Banded STAB EQs will hurt, but not too much. Skarmory, and Forretress can set up on Dugtrio all day long, where as something like Rotom-W will basically force dugtrio out every day of the weak.
If you have a balloon, levitate or are a flying type, dugtrio will 9/10 be your set up bait.

Standard Band/Scarf

OU
Balloon Excadrill and Balloon heatran can use EQ locked Dugtrio to set up Swords Dance and Stealth Rock, respectively. Dragonite, Salamence and the Lati Twins can use Choice Locked Earthquakes to set up Dragon Dances and Calm Minds, respectively.
Skarmory walls the set to high hell, as does Forretress. Gliscor, also Walls the crap out of it, and if it isn't the choice Band set, even Blissey / Chansey can toxic stall Dugtrio Out. Tyranitar can come in on any Rock / Dark Attack packed by Dugtrio and throw Ice Beams and Crunches back it, while Jirachi can switch in on all but CB Earthquakes threaten with Body Slam and wish off the damage.
Basically anything with a bit of bulk and a resistance to one of its moves will force it out.

UU
Steelix can come in on any Rock / Dark typed attack and set up Stealth Rocks as can Registeel and also threaten with Seismic Tosses.
Milotic can come in on pretty much any thing and threaten it with Scald. Abomasnow just has to watch out for Stone Edge, but aside from that it can take a couple Earthquakes and threaten with Stab 100% Blizzards.

Same story here, Bulky Waters, steels and anything with a resistance.

Sub Reversal

OU
Scizor, Lucario, Conkeldurr, Azumarill and anything else with a priority attack can ruin this set. Aside from that, Skarmory can tank Stone Edge and Reversals with little problem, s3t up and then phaze Dugtrio out, rendering Dugtrio completely useless not even being able to switch in again. Gliscor too can Wall it.
Jellicent can take none boosted Stone Edges and use Scald / Will o wisp to shut Dugtrio Down.

UU
Weavile, Mamoswine, Scyther, Toxicroak and Hitmon"X" can all shut it down with Priority. With less walls in UU, resorting to revenging and priority is your best bet at beating it. Toxicroak gets a special mention, as it resists pretty much everything that Dugtrio will pack on this set.

Lead

OU
Dugtrio will struggle to get passed Machamp and Ferrothorn / Forretress leads. Scizor being used in lead and Scarfgon being used in lead can U-turn to tyranitar or ... anything and remove of it pretty quickly. Basically, break its sash with a U-turn, switch to something that resists Stone Edge / Earthquake and take it out.

UU
Same Story as above, Scarfed Victini can break its sash with a U turn and switch to Milotic or any random bulky water to get rid of it. Lead Hariyama can get passed Dugtrio fairly easily with the moves Fake out / Close Combat or Close Combat / Bullet Punch.

Token Novelty Set

OU
Skarmory and Gliscor ... and anything with Taunt, like Hydreigon.

UU
Crobat. Will just have to watch out for random Stone Edges. I deeply regret making this set now, but it's a bit of fun :p.

Partners

In General
Anything that can take water and grass attacks for for Dugtrio. In the high tiers this would be Ferrothorn or Rotom-C. Anything that can get rid of priority abusers and walls. In the high tiers, this would be Magnezone and Infernape, in the lower tiers, wobbuffet, Hitmonlee and Victini are good candidates.
Hippowdon / Tyranitar / Hippopatas are necessary for any set using sand veil.
Bulky grass and water types in generally have good synergy with Dugtrio, they can take water / grass type attacks for him, he can take out fire and electrics for them.

Standard

OU
Being locked into Earthquake means that random threats like Excadrill and Salamence will switch in to set up as you switch. Specially Defencive Unaware Quagsire can switch into both of these and threaten with Scald and Ice Beams, Quagsire can also threaten Balloon heatran, too.
With set up sweepers in mind, Whimsicott can switch in on Dragon Dancers and Swords Dancers and Render them as Set up bait with Priority Encore. Whimsicott can also switch in on Bulky Waters and Remove them, to possibly help with a Dugtrio Sweep Later.
Anything that's happy to see the back or Jolteon / Raikou / Magnezone. Scizor can make fine use of dugtrio, as it can U-turn to Dugtrio to take out Magnezone, allowing Scizor to freely Bullet Punch things without for of 'zone.

UU
This set does pretty well at removing Victini, Jolteon and Raikou, so bulky waters like Milotic can use Dugtrio to some success to remove the aforementioned electric types. Kyurem is happy to see the back of Victini, so makes a pretty decent partner. Celebi also likes the Removal of Victini, Arcanine, Jolteon and Raikou as all of them can take out Celebi with STAB attacks.

Lead

OU
Every Sweeper in existence likes Stealth Rock support, as such Dugtrio fits quite nicely into Offencive Teams. Aside from that, problem pokémon like Flygon, Machamp and Ferrothorn can be dealt with by Gengar quite easily. This lead doesn't so much need support as it's meant to go down, so basically anyone that can revenge Machamp Flygon and other Scout / Bulky leads will make a good partner. Slowbro can switch in on anything Machamp can Throw, and takes very Little from Flygon, it can also dispatch of Ferrothorn with Fire Blast.

UU
Same as above.

Sub Reversal

OU

Balloon Magnezone can take out Scizor / Skarmory and Gliscor if it packs Hidden Power Ice, which means Dugtrio can set up more easily without fear of being revenged or phazed. Whimsicott can Encore Set up sweepers to aid in Dugtrio setting up.
Tyranitar is needed, however, to bring the sand as to allow Dugtrio to abuse Sand Veil.
MixNite is great for removing walls, leaving only the frailer, easier to sweep pokémon for Dugtrio to Sweep.

UU
Undersused is where this guy is going to be at its best. Wobbuffett is is Dugtrios best partner, given that Dugtrio Needs that free switch in. It can also remove of Toxicroak pretty easily, which will be Dugtrio's main concern, as well as Scarf Heracross. Wall breakers like Nidoking and to some extent arcanine will help in getting rid of UUs limited amount of walls. Chansey is also going to be a problem, to Hitmonlee wouldn't be a bad choice of partner, as it can take out Registeel, Chansey and random walls like Lanturn with its filler moves.

Token Novelty Set

OU
Balloon Magnezone with Hidden Power Ice. It gets rid of pretty much everything that's going to cause this set problems. Blissey, Chansey and Tentacruel will be problem pokémon, so Specially Defencive Tyranitar wouldn't be a bad idea, as it can take out Gliscor with Ice Beam, Skarmory with Fire Blast, Tentacruel / Starmie with Earthquakes / Crunches and Chansey / Blissey with Super Powers. Sand Storm also helps abuse Sand Veil and Stall Ability.
Ferrothorn can also take out bulky waters and provide seed support.
The set will be causing a lot of switched, too, so spikes support in the form of Cloyster or Skarmory wouldn't be a bad option.

UU
Spiking Froslass to help rack up passive damage and anything that has stealth Rock. Hippopatas is the only sand setter available in UU, and the sand is pretty much needed so the little hippo isn't a bad idea. Hippopatas can also set Stealth Rocks effectively.
Hitmonlee again to take out the walls and Steels of UU, hitmonlee also has access to Earthquake which helps with beating poison types that will be switching in on the toxic thrown at the opposition.

Other Options
Final Gambit can be used as some sort of novelty, however Dugtrio's HP maxes out at something like 273, which is barely enough to bring down a frail sweeper.
Memento can be used on a sub / toxic set as a last stand to help a team mate set up, or even on a scarf set to ad in a quick set up for the next sweeper.
Shadow Claw can be used for coverage over Night Slash / Pursuit
Return / Body Slam can be used to aid in coverage. Frankly, other than what's listed Dugtrio doesn't get a whole lot.

Little Cup

Diglett (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Atk / 236 Spd
- Earthquake
- Final Gambit
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide

In Little Cup, Diglet can make better use out of final gambit than it's elder in the 100 tier, and is also one of the only pokémon to actually get Final Gambit at a young Stage. With a Choice Scarf and the Arena Trap Ability Diglett hits an astounding 30 Speed, which is nothing to laugh at. This means it can switch in and take out anything with 20 or less HP. The cool thing that sets diglett apart as a final gambit user, is that the opponent can't switch to a ghost type or high HPd wall like Munchlax to take the hit.
This set also helps teams that are weak to Chinchou and Elekid (who, unlike his final form, actually doesn't suck) and Electrike.
Pursuit is good for hitting Tbolt Locked Ghastly, whilst Rock Slide is good for coverage and hitting random bugs that you might find on your travels.
As it does all of the aforementioned, in one sitting it has the ability to take out 3 pokémon per match, but as it most notably takes out random sweepers with >20HP and Electric types, it makes a great partner for Agility Mantyke.

EDIT:

Thought of another few... on the Wii...

Lead-trio
Ability: Sand Veil/Arena Trap
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, - SpAtk)
Item: Focus Sash
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Memento
Toxic/ Sunny Day/ Sandstorm/ Mudslap/ Taunt
Dig/Earthquake

It can't run SR and Memento :( and it doesn't even get taunt IIRC?

I wanted to post this set too.

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
subReversal

Dugtrio (M) @ Black Belt / Salac Berry / Leichi Berry / Muscle Band
- Substitute
- Hone Claws / Sucker Punch
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Considering the climate of the metagame, and its heavy sand focus Dugtrio can pull off an OK reversal set. Once behind a sub, you just keep subbing until you're down to one HP and then voila, start smacking things around with 200BP Reversal. Dugtrio does have lacking Atk, so Hone Claws is listed as an option to use, however, you may struggle in actually getting a Hone Claws Boost as Dugtrio doesn't make exactly bulky subs. Reversal is the focus of the set, and Stone Edge Provides pretty decent coverage with Reversal, only being resisted by Gallade (I believe).
Sand Veil is used over Arena Trap here to maybe help you in getting Hone Claws boosts, however, once the Sand Force ability is released, that will be pretty good too, giving Stone Edge 130~ Base Power.
Once the berries are released they will be the optimal items of choice, as with a Salac boost Dugtrio will be pretty much outspeeding all but Sand Rush and Scarfed 120+ pokémon, however a Leichi boost will mean it won't be completely necessary to get the Hone Claws Boost. Until then, however, any atk boosting item will suffice... just don't use leftovers or Life Orb.

Reversal

Dugtrio @ Leichi Berry / Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Reversal
- Endure / Substitute
- Earthquake / Stone Edge
- Stone Edge / Sucker Punch / Night Slash

Leichi Berry isn't released yet but we don't care. Endure lowers your HP to 1. It might not hit hard enough with 426 attack is very powerful in lower tiers. Sand Veil should not be used since Endure requires your opponents assistant. You summed everything else up though but I find Dugtrio works better with Earthquake but either is usable.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Hate this guy... there aren't many that I hate, but he is one of them... WHERE ARE HIS GODDAM FEET!

Whacka mole
Item: Rocky Helmet/Dark Gem/Rock Gem/Whatever you want.
Nature: Adamant (+atk, - Spatk)
Ability: Sand Force/Sand Veil
Moves:
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Final Gambit

Hone claws won't do much good on Dugtrio. It's much too fragile.

Nijaskills

Can I just say though, while evasion stuff may be banned in Smogon terms, we're not solely following that. I'd like the sets we provide to be versatile and usable in whatever way, shape or form people desire

Fair enough. But please, obviously mention that it's banned, so that people don't try and use it in standard battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.