• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just say though, while evasion stuff may be banned in Smogon terms, we're not solely following that. I'd like the sets we provide to be versatile and usable in whatever way, shape or form people desire

Not just Smogon terms.

PO banned evasion as well.

ALL other major servers banned evasion too.

Even here on Serebii Double Team / Brightpowder is banned. Even new players who are terrible and hate Smogon probably equally hate Double Team. I mean who here hasn't been douched out of a Battle Tower win because of some ****ing Brightpowder thing or Double Team Dusknoir.

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
In Doubles and Triples, just be careful when using Zapdos with Dugtrio because of Pressure (Lightningrod isn't released yet). Pressure still activates if you use Earthquake since Zapdos is in Earthquake's range even though it takes no damage. Use Thundurus instead, it can cover Water and Flying types with Discharge and Dugtrio doesn't have to worry about it's Earthquake's PP being drained by Pressure.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Not just Smogon terms.

PO banned evasion as well.

ALL other major servers banned evasion too.

Even here on Serebii Double Team / Brightpowder is banned. Even new players who are terrible and hate Smogon probably equally hate Double Team. I mean who here hasn't been douched out of a Battle Tower win because of some ****ing Brightpowder thing or Double Team Dusknoir.
People don't just use our Pokémon of the Week for those simulators but for VGC and everything.

I want the PotW to be usable for all things and pigeonholing it with the double-standard of evasion is ridiculous (banning evasion stuff but keeping Sand Veil? Please). We should provide all possibilities. I agree that spamming Double Team is ridiculous, but the rest?

People don't just use our Pokémon of the Week for those simulators but for VGC and everything.

I want the PotW to be usable for all things and pigeonholing it with the double-standard of evasion is ridiculous (banning evasion stuff but keeping Sand Veil? Please). We should provide all possibilities. I agree that spamming Double Team is ridiculous, but the rest?

lol, Serebii name one place people will use Double Team. Simulators ban it, most Wifi ban it, all major sites ban it.. The few places Double Team is frequently allowed (VGC and I guess Nintendo Wifi) its simply a terrible strategy. Besides Baton Pass teams Double Team is useless on the vast majority of Pokemon.

So..

1) Its banned pretty much everywhere.
2) Even when its usable, its not good. Not even worth mentioning in the POTW.

I don't care about Brightpowder too much but with the exception of Garchomp its not really a good item on anything.

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
Brightpowder/Lax Incense have been banned too.

OK.. Didn't know.. then I think it could run a focus sash!
By the way! Where can I see which items/moves are banned?

EDIT: Never mind.. Blue Harvest posted ^
And I'm sry that my set cause all this commotion! xD

Last edited:

V4LOVER

chirp
Yay! Finally the evolution of one of my favorite three Pokemon! (hints at Kricketune or Porygon2/Z)

051.gif
/
051.gif

Street Fighter...or not
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
~ Stealth Rock
~ Reversal
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake

Lead support in the form of two or three strategies. First, the main option is to set up rocks. Dugtrio's excessive speed allows him to outrun most leads, which almost, if not fully, guarantees setup of rocks. Then the next move is based on what happened during the first turn. If the opponent broke your sash, you will use one of the 2nd or 3rd moveslots. Reversal is the star of the set here offense-wise, since it gives Dugtrio that very nice Fighting move that allows him to get Ferrothorn for SE. Sucker Punch is for when Ghosts (the levitating ones: Gengar, etc.) appear and ruin the fun of Reversal, or when you know you're against something with priority, or even have a suspicion. The fourth slot is for when your sash isn't broken, and a general solid STAB when needed (very defensive/special defensive opponent, frail Ground-weak opponent, etc.). Arena Trap is so Dugtrio can force those that cower in fear at him to stay in and let him setup and/or defeat them. The EVs are to ensure that he outspeeds as much of the metagame as possible, and to get every last bit out of the power in the attacks, especially Reversal. Dugtrio has suprisingly many options hidden within an average movepool.​

Phew, finally did that. -o-

EDIT: Realized Memento can't be with SR. Edited in light of such.

Last edited:

365pokemon

Diglett

In little cup, diglett is a beast. Being able to arena trap pokes with its large 30 speed allows diglett to be quite succesful. It is also the only final gambit user in little cup, as mentioned above. When it comes to movesets and spreads however, just give it a dugtrio set. Aside from final gambit, there are very few moves that diglett utilizes that dugtrio does not in OU.

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Pressure still activates if you use Earthquake since Zapdos is in Earthquake's range even though it takes no damage.
That issue never showed up when I used it...maybe I'm just special :p

But Lightningrod will also be bad for Zapdos, so Pressure is your best bet there. Actually, the best thing about Zapdos is that importing it from 4th gen will give you access to a both Ancientpower and a REALLY weird moveset.

Signal Beam, Heat Wave, and Mud-Slap; what a frightful combination.

Thundurus, while having a naturally more varied moveset, does not have Heat Wave. Or Signal Beam. Which does not let it cover more Pokemon. Also, Zapdos is faster. But, Thundurus gets Flash Cannon, Air Cutter (STAB Flying move that's also special, a luxury Zapdos does not have), and Nasty Plot (which is usable, but Charge is better imo because of the defense boost)

But I'm biased, so listen to my argument and then make your own choice. Each has its pros and cons.

Dugtrio @Air Baloon
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Arena Trap
EVs:4 HP,252 Atk,252 Spd
-Substitute
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

This looks like gimmicky but if you switch in a choiced Electric or Ground type move this set can be the opponents doom.

Tbird

Nice shot, man
Leichi Berry isn't released yet but we don't care. Endure lowers your HP to 1. It might not hit hard enough with 426 attack is very powerful in lower tiers. Sand Veil should not be used since Endure requires your opponents assistant. You summed everything else up though but I find Dugtrio works better with Earthquake but either is usable.

Both Versions do work well enough. However, with Stone Edge granting better coverage, and sand veil meaning a possible +2/3 boost I feel the sub set is more viable. If it was slow, like Hitmonlee, then I'd agree endure would work better, but it has the speed to pull off a substitute, and possibly use the same substitute to save it from being beaten by priority and also grant it a chance to get a couple hone claws boosts in.

epicgarchomp24

The Garchomp Master
Reversal Lead:
252 Attack EVs 252 Speed EVs
Salac Berry
+Atk -Def or Sp.Def
Endure
Reversal
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Basic reversal set that compliments Dugtrios 120 base speed and a decent base 80 attack. Endure to get down to one, then Salac to boost speed for a powerful reversal. EQ is there for STAB and Stone Edge for coverage against flying types and other pokemon who will try wall you.

365pokemon

More Stuff To Add To Counters
If running arena trap, dugtrio has no counters until it kills your pokemon, as you cannot switch. However, once dugtrio does kill, any revenge killer will most likely kill it even with priority thanks to its pitiful defenses. Scizor with bullet punch is great, as bullet punch OHKO's, and pursuit makes sure that dugtrio will not switch. Choice banded pursuit is still pretty likely to kill dugtrio without it switching, which makes it a great option. Tracers, such as porygon2, can copy arena trap and kill it with basically any attack. Any pursuiter with priority is a viable counter, as the priority will kill dugtrio, and pursuit will make sure it can't switch. This will require some prediction however. A burned dugtrio or a paralyzed one (via move such is body slam) is a useless one. To sum it up, there are many counters to dugtrio, you just need to work past arena trap.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
for team mates mention how devastating gravity can be...(also lets it go all out w/ choice band...EQ unopposed)

Mega2527

I still want to do Slaking
Anyway, this gut is ridiculously fast and has good attack, so he makes a good UU physical sweeper. But he can also be a decent lead.
So...
Dugtrio@leftovers
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Impish (+Def, -Satk)
EVs:252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Moves: Substitute
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Pursuit

Substitute lets you survive a hit. Stealth Rock is amazing and at the core of most leads. Earthquake is for STAB, and Pursuit is in case something tries to switch into you.

u hav arena trap so not many things can switch out so pursuit is kind of useless

If running arena trap, dugtrio has no counters until it kills your pokemon, as you cannot switch.

This actually made me think. When discussing STChandy, I always made it a point that it was uncounterable because nothing could switch out that didn't have Shed Shell (waste of an item), Run Away (horrible ability and users), U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass (these attacks aren't widely distributed). Because of the few and far-between (or plain awful) ways of escaping, Chandy was pretty much uncounterable. However, Dugtrio is a bit different. Not only can the above ways foil Arena Trap (bar Volt Switch), but the ability doesn't work on any Flying types or Pokemon with Levitate, which are actually quite common. So...how uncounterable is Dugtrio?

But as far as sets go, I find the Choice Specs Band and Scarf, Sub3Attacks, and Memento sets to be the most effective. If you can find the right Pokemon to set up on, then I suppose Dugtrio can do great with Hone Claws (what claws?), but I fear he may be a little too frail to pull of such a set consistently.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
This actually made me think. When discussing STChandy, I always made it a point that it was uncounterable because nothing could switch out that didn't have Shed Shell (waste of an item), Run Away (horrible ability and users), U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass (these attacks aren't widely distributed). Because of the few and far-between (or plain awful) ways of escaping, Chandy was pretty much uncounterable. However, Dugtrio is a bit different. Not only can the above ways foil Arena Trap (bar Volt Switch), but the ability doesn't work on any Flying types or Pokemon with Levitate, which are actually quite common. So...how uncounterable is Dugtrio?

But as far as sets go, I find the Choice Specs Band and Scarf, Sub3Attacks, and Memento sets to be the most effective. If you can find the right Pokemon to set up on, then I suppose Dugtrio can do great with Hone Claws (what claws?), but I fear he may be a little too frail to pull of such a set consistently.

It is counterless under gravity...

Suicune3000

Water Lord
Lead-Trio

Sorry if this has been suggested already, I haven't checked. Anyway, this is a lead set that works well for me.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature, 252 Atk/ 252 Spd, 6 SDef
Trait: Arena Trap

-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge/Earthquake
-Sucker Punch

Dugtrio reaches a speed stat of 372 through this set. Apart from leading, it also allows him to come back and hit fast pokemon like Starmie and Gengar, who will not want to take EQ or Stone Edge respectively.
Taunt and Rocks are standard lead moves, Taunt anything lower than base 120 Speed on the first turn and set up rocks the next. Sucker Punch and an attack helps if Dugtrio comes in late-game after being Roared/Switched. Sucker Punch hits fast threats like Starmie, Gengar and Alakazam for Super-Effective damage, and that won't be something they want to take: 80 Power priority backed by a 259 Attack stat. Even if it doesn't KO them it will take a huge chunk of their HP.
The fourth move is something of a filler. Stone Edge enables you to hit faster leads such as Aerodactyl and Azelf, but EQ gets STAB and is more accurate. I would go Stone Edge since otherwise you are bait for Aero, who will Taunt you then set up while you can't do anything.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Dugtrio @Air Baloon
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Arena Trap
EVs:4 HP,252 Atk,252 Spd
-Substitute
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

This looks like gimmicky but if you switch in a choiced Electric or Ground type move this set can be the opponents doom.

And what's left is what dugtrio looks like underground B)

In the single battles, is it a safe option to switch arena trap to sand force btw? Normally, the only way your can tell if dugtrio has arena trap or not is to try and switch out your own pokemon and see if it works. Otherwise, you'll need trace users.

Status
Not open for further replies.