• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

620.png

This week we'll be doing Mienshao, one of the new fighting-type Pokéon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/620.shtml

Mienshao is rather intriguing and has some variety to it

Go nuts.

skadoosh2

I am a person :D
Mienshao@Regenerator
Life Orb
-U-Turn
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Fake Out/Poison Jab/Aerial Ace
Attack and then use U-Turn. Restores Life Orb damage thanks to Regenerator.

stenli

Flabebes
Yay my all time favorite Fighting-type mon!

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Trait: Regenerator
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
- HP Ice
- Fake Out / Stone Edge

This is the most effective Mienshao set I've ever used. U-Turn scouts, hits Reuniclus for ok damage, and heals Mienshao everytime it switches. I prefer Drain Punch over HJK because Ghost switches in predicted HJK. HP Ice is vital as it often surprises opponent and ruins weakened Gliscor and Garchomp. Fake Out means free damage but leave you lol'd by Jellicent.

Other Options:
Choice Scarf
Acrobatics: it's a common move used by Mienshao, use this if youre using one use item, but I find it hard to pick what item to use.
Me First: I use this with scarf and it trolls Scarfchomp.

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
OH YEAH!!! The 1st POTW that is in my team.. so here it goes:

ETERNAL MIENSHAO

Mienshao@Regenerator
leftovers/normal gem

-Fake Out
-Drain Punch
-Rock Slide/Protect
-U-turn
EVs: 252 Att/252 Spd/ 4HP (Adamant) - with Rock Slide
128 Att/252 Spd/ 132HP (Adamant) - with Protect

This is a great pkmn with a great ability! This is the set I use and is mostly for scouting...
How does THIS Mienshao works? Simple! To revenge kill most dark and normal types or to scout a bit and retreat/recover. As a lead the Protect set works just fine: you use Fake Out and the if you know that you won't OHKO with the next move then you can Protect to see what he is up to and then safely U-turn to gain advantage.

Fake Out is there for the obvious and (if you run a Normal Gem and if your opponent doesn't have a resistance to normal type) you will most of the times reduce the foe's HP to half. Drain Punch has STAB and is a great way to inflict damage and regain some HP. Rock Slide goes nicely with a Fighting move and also deals with all Flying pkmns trying to switch-in that resist U-turn and Drain Punch... Proctect to give a free turn for Leftovers and to scout your opp. strategy. U-turn helps with the scouting and with Mienshao excellent Attack stat, it can put an hole on Psychic type pokemons.

Fell free to comment my set! ;)

Last edited:

Kraleck

Ability: Reckless
Stats: Jolly, Sweeper EV Spread
Moves: Hi Jump Kick, U-Turn, Rock Slide, Fake Out
Item: Wide Lens

A tad gimmicky, but it can work. Fake Out then crank out Hi Jump Kicks like nobody's business (Wide Lens ups HJK's Accuracy to 99%). U-Turn away from most Ghosts. Rock Slide for Shadow Tag Chandelure (pray for flinches).

lemme try...........

mienshao@leftovers
ability regenerator
-substitute
-aura sphere/drain punch
-bulk up/swords dance/calm mind/work up
-baton pass

jolly +speed -sp.att/timid +speed -att
252 attack 252 speed 4 hp
252 specialattack 252 speed 4 hp

a basic baton pass set

substitute to pass and hide behind while setting up

aura sphere if your running calm mind or work up

drain punch gives you recovery also for bulk up/swords dance/work up

bulk up raises attack and defence +1 calm mind sp.attack and sp.defence +1
work up attack and sp.att and swords dance raises by +2

baton pass to........ PASS!

run 252 attack 252 speed 4 hp for swords dance/bulk up/work up/drain punch
run 252 specialattack 252 speed 4 hp for work up/aura sphere

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Ok, let's deux this....

Reversal-endure
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Adamant
Item: Salac Berry/ Liechi Berry
Moves:
Endure
Reversal
Fake-Out
U-Turn/ Drain Punch/High Jump Kick

Ok your standard Reversal-Endure KO
He's got good speed so after his enduring he can pwn.
Fake-Out is just for a nice extra bit of damage at the start, but you could have anything.
Same applies to the last move, U-turn works well because of Psychics that might try to ruin your day, you also get a wee bit of restoration because of regenerator.
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp.

I'm Special
Nature: Modest
Item: Wise Glasses
Ability:Regenerator
Moves:
Aura Sphere
Calm Mind
Grass Knot
Baton Pass/U-turn

K, aura sphere is your bit of STAB, and it is unmissable
Calm Mind to up your special attack AND defence
Grass Knot is for most other things
Baton Pass can pass on your special boosts, but U-turn can get a cheeky bit of damage, you choose.
EV's 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Hp.

KrookodilePwner

Just go STEEL hard!
Good attack and speed makes it a sweeper.But it has terrible defenses and HP like an Infernape.​

Overview​
Inner Focus:Makes you not flinch.The best for defenses for Mienshao.It really helps you sweep.
Regenerator:Awesome ability especially if you have U-Turn and terrible defenses and HP.You heal when you switch that means U-Turn.Just heals half to of your maximum HP.
Reckless:Increases the power up 2o% move that have recoil damage but so does the recoil.One is High Jump Kick.I don't know the rest.​
Movesets​

Mien-Healer
Mienshao @ Leftovers
Trait:Regenerator
Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
EVs:252 HP / 70 Attack / 30 Defense / 30 Special Defense / 126 Speed
-U-Turn
-Drain Punch
-High Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
Just made this moveset up.Mienshao gets A LOT of care.U-Turn is for emergencies from the 0 PP in Drain Punch.Leftovers makes it heal every turn.High Jump Kick makes you hit hard but if you miss go back to healing.Stone Edge is for any Flyng and Psychic Types.

Mien-Sweeper
Mienshao @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Wide Lens
Trait:Inner Focus
Impish Nature (+Defense, -Special Attack)
EVs:126 HP / 63 Attack / 128 Defense / 128 Special Defense / 63 Speed
-Drain Punch
-Acrobatics/High Jump Kick
-Stone Edge/Brick Break
-Poison Jab/Bounce
Made this up.It's easy to choose depending on your item.Drain Punch is for original healing.With Leftovers equals more HP.Acrobatics is nice for all who don't have items on.High Jump Kick is regularly move that's for Wide Lens.Stone Edge is powerful attack that can handle Flying Types plus Wide Lens.Brick Break is a regular move that breaks the screens.Poison Jab poisons rarely but its still good.Bounce is another move for Wide Lens.

Attack Listing
Life Orb and Leftovers
Acrobatics
Brick Break
Poison Jab
Bounce

Mien-Healer-Sweeper
Mienshao @ Life Orb
Trait:Reckless
Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Special Attack)
EVs:126 HP / 191 Attack / 191 Speed
-Drain Punch
-High Jump Kick
-Brick Break
-Stone Edge/Acrobatics/Rock Tomb/Poison Jab

Drain Punch heals nicely when you use High Jump Kick and plus with Life Orb and Reckless.Brick Break is decent with screens since you don't want them messing your super powered damage!Stone Edge is for Flying and Ghost Types.Acrobatics is fairly does massive damage when they don't have an item.Rock Tomb lowers their Speed Stat because you need to sweep in this set.Poison Jab entirely does damage and can possibly poison to frustrate opponents.

Partners for Mienshao
A dark type will be pretty decent because Mienshao doesn't have good Dark Type Moves.Houndoom and Weavile are both good partners.(Counting on one Special Attacker and on Attacker.)Galvantula can make a good partner too.First Unnerve then when they have a berry use Bug Bite to eat the berry then use Acrobatics!

Countering Mienshao
Psychic Types is a good counter.Counting that Mienshao dosen't have good Dark Type Moves makes it a good counter.Sableye and Spiritomb can make an incredible counter.Sableye use Zen Headbutt to defeat Mienshao while Spiritomb uses Hypnosis and then Dream Eater or Psychic.​

Last edited:

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
The set I use is this.

Mienshao Hasty/Naive Nature (mine is Hasty because it came first)
252 Attack 252 Speed 6 Sp. Attack
Regenerator
Hold Item: Life Orb

High Jump Kick
U-Turn
Grass Knot
Stone Edge

The three core physical moves give lots of coverage. Regenerator is an amazing ability that gels perfectly with Life Orb. Grass Knot does serious damage to common physical walls, many of which are heavy ground and/or water types. (i.e. Swampert, Hippowdon, Suicune, etc.) Plus, the surprise factor in running a special attack will throw an opponent expecting a full physical moveset off big time. People usually glaze over Mienshao's base 95 Sp. Attack due to a poor Special movepool, but there's enough to run a mixed set like this one.

Mienshao is really frail so you have to be extra-careful of what you switch into. It hates priority moves. Also, good prediction is required with High Jump Kick, especially if you know your opponent is using Ghost Pokemon, due to that nasty side effect if you miss.

NAMBIRI

Regenerator @ Life Orb Jolly 252 speed and atk rest in HP.
Fake out
Hi Jump Kick
U-Turn
Stone Edge

Does the Job......
Just about to go to bed. I will edit this tomorrow

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Mienshao@Life Orb
Regenerator
Jolly/Naive
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP/Sp.Atk
~Fake Out
~U-Turn
~Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
~Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)

Mienshao is an extremely unique individual. For one thing, it gets Regenerator without the need for the Dream World. It also gets U-Turn, which makes for an excellent strategy. What you do is, use Fake Out for some free damage, maybe use the bottom two moves to inflict more damage or stuff, then switch out with U-Turn. Thanks to Regenerator, this means that 1/3 of Mienshao's total HP will be restored. This will fully heal Mienshao if it's taken three turns' worth of Life Orb recoil. Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch are your STAB options. Hi Jump Kick's inclusion is obvious- upped to 130 base power. That said, it still only has 90% accuracy, and all it takes is for that move to miss ONCE and Mienshao is toast. In addition to losing half its max. HP, Mienshao is now at the mercy of the undamaged opponent. And with defenses like that, it can't really afford to be at the mercy of any opponent. Drain Punch is a weaker, but more reliable option. Plus, it can assist Regenerator by healing Mienshao as well. The last slot is up to you and will basically also decide on the nature and those last four EVs. Stone Edge and HP Ice are both good for extra coverage. Stone Edge means you should run a Jolly nature and put those extra EVs in HP. HP Ice, Naive, Special Attack.

Regenerator is the only ability any sane person runs on their Mienshao. Inner Focus is moot, as Mienshao's not gonna be surviving any attack long enough to flinch anyway, and as for Reckless, not even considering the fact that Mienshao can't even legally get it yet, it can only abuse it with Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick. Not exactly the best trade-off for the opportunity to heal off that Life Orb damage.

Mienshao@Flying Gem
Regenerator
Jolly nature
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Fake Out
~U-Turn
~Acrobatics
~Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch

I used this strategy myself to good effect, before I got access to a Life Orb in my Black version. It's simple, really. The usual Fake Out, and then use Acrobatics. With help from the Flying Gem, Acrobatics reaches insane power levels. Even after that initial usage, it remains at an amazing 110 base power. Hi Jump Kick and Drain Punch are, once more, your STAB move choices. U-Turn won't be seeing as much use, because there's no Life Orb recoil, but Mienshao still won't exactly hate the opportunity to heal off entry hazard, sandstorm, hail, etc. damage. Won't be able to heal off attack damage, though, because that generally requires the Pokemon to be able to survive attacks.

Mienshao@Life Orb
Regenerator
Timid nature
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
~Aura Sphere
~Hidden Power (Ghost)
~Grass Knot
~Swift/U-Turn

What a shame. Mienshao has such nice Special Attack, and it squanders it on a movepool like this. What you see here is literally its entire usable Special movepool. And even then, note the presence of Swift, of all things. Yeah. But anyway, Mienshao does have the moves, and therefore does have the capability to throw together a decent special set. Aura Sphere is probably the one redeeming quality of this set. Precious few Pokemon have access to this attack. Most other Pokemon looking for a special Fighting move have to go with either the scarily inaccurate Focus Blast or the woefully weak HP Fighting. Aura Sphere, however, has 90 base power and never misses. Those Sand Veil Garchomp, they're not laughing now, are they? HP Ghost provides absolutely perfect coverage alongside Aura Sphere. Despite my earlier slight on Hidden Power, it is a necessary evil. Mienshao doesn't even learn Shadow Ball! Anyway, Grass Knot is good for particularly heavy opponents (Swampert comes readily to mind). Hell, if you're feeling especially daring, you can even use Mienshao in Ubers, try to OHKO yourself a Groudon with Grass Knot. The last slot is up to you. U-Turn is really the move you should go with. Despite the fact that this Mienshao is not geared to use physical attacks, the real appeal in U-Turn is the whole switching thing, and activating Regenerator. I only threw Swift in there for those of you out there that don't feel that a special attacker should be using Physical moves.

Mienshao@Leftovers
Inner Focus
Jolly nature
252 HP/128 Defense/128 Special Defense
~Calm Mind
~Bulk Up
~Drain Punch
~Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ghost)/Baton Pass

Yes, I know perfectly well how absolutely insane I am to even suggest a set like this. Yes, I am perfectly aware that I used a lot of this post to rip on Mienshao's pathetic defenses. And yes, I am perfectly aware that right now, I am suggesting a defensive set for Mienshao.

Here's the thing. Mienshao gets Calm Mind and Bulk Up. Chances to boost not one, but both of its defenses. Granted, it can't boost both simultaneously, but with prediction (and a heaping helping of luck), it can get both defenses up to manageable levels. Drain Punch runs off of the Bulk Up boosts to Attack, and is a means of healing Mienshao. As for the last move, there's several options. You got Stone Edge, another move that's good for coverage. You got HP Ghost, not a bad idea. Perfect coverage, and the Jolly nature won't matter much if you get enough Calm Minds going. And you got Baton Pass to give them boosts to something else.

Mienshao
Nature: jolly
Item: Focus Sash
EVs: 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spd
Moves:
Fake Out
U-turn
Drain Punch
Stone Edge

Fake Out causes the opponent to flinch and has priority. U-turn gives Mienshao regenerator recovery and covers its psychic type weakness. Drain Punch gives it more recovery. Stone edge covers its flying type weakness.

Abstinence Pistols

Damn, ANOTHER fifth generation! When are we going to get Scrafty? But anyway, Mienshao's a pretty good fighting type. Not as hard-hitting as Conkeldurr and not as mug variety as Scrafty, but somewhere in the middle, and despite it's strange look it's got some serious power.

spartanlaser

A tiny, tiny Joltik
Meinshao's terrible base 60 defenses are probably going to bring it down, so made a set so its hard for it to get hit.
Passshao
Item:foucus Sash
EV'S: 252 speed, 252 attack.
moves
Baton pass
reversal
drain punch
toxic
Stautus and bP on a offensive pokemon? Immposible! Alright so Baton pass is for switching, and that works well with regenerator. Toxic is to set up a venoshock or something. DRain punch to recover even more Hp. Reversal is with focus sash. This will wirk because of base 60 defenses.
counters: Priorty. Priority Ruins this set.

TimmahX

Countering Mienshao

The main problem with fighting against Mienshao, is that if you try to send out something that will counter it, it will usually run away with U-Turn. I wouldn't considering anything slower than Mienshao to be a counter for that reason. Drifblim and Archeops are the more obvious choices, completely wrecking Mienshao with their Acrobatics. Drifblim will need to have Unburden in effect though to outrun Mienshao. Sableye wrecks Mienshao's long term efforts with Prankster Will-o-Wisp. Gengar takes it down pretty efficiently. Fast Psychic types... Alakazam, Starmie, Espeon, Lati Twins, Azelf and Swoobat all work wonders. These are all direct methods of going for Mienshao though. As a last man standing, it's not that threatening if you have anything that resists or is immune to Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick. If you want it out of the picture early though, you'll need something with more speed that can 1HKO it. The list of counters increases in size when you add Choice Scarfed pokemon to the list, because Mienshao is very frail. One thing to look out for when picking a counter is to be alert to the presence of U-Turn. It's a Bug type attack, so any slow Psychic type should be discounted unless you're looking at a Steel/Psychic one. Also, a mention for Paralysis is in order. Anything faster than Mienshao that can set up the status will make it's First Strike Hit and Run tactic unusable. Prankster Whimsicott and Thundurus are ideal for this.

Rockleon

Veteren
This set has already been posted but
Jolly is perfered over adament
-Regenerator
moves
Hjk
Fake out
Stone edge
U-turn.

and throw a wide lens on there. it sounds like a waste of item but your high jump kicks never miss and your stone edge almost never miss. My friend uses this set and its annoying as crap.

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
Choice
- Hi Jump Kick / Hidden Power Ice
- Drain Punch / Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Bounce
Item Attached: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
EVs and Nature:
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Jolly (Choice Band)
Adamant (Choice Scarf)
Hasty / Naive (Hidden Power Ice)

Hi Jump Kick is great STAB, but missing won't be too pretty. Drain Punch is reliable and helps with your HP. It's useful to run both on the same set just in case you don't need to use Hi Jump Kick on a Pokemon that has less than 1/4 of their HP. Otherwise, Hidden Power Ice heals with the Dragons and Gliscor. U-turn can be used to scout out for an appropriate counter, and Stone Edge helps to deal with Flyings. Bounce helps deal with Bugs, other Fightings like Machamp and Toxicroak, and even opposing Mienshao that would hate missing a High Jump Kick if they have it. Bounce also deals with bulky Grasses like Celebi and Venusaur.
Regenerator is great here since you'll be switching out a lot because you're Choiced.
Jolly Choice Band gets you 339 Speed and 523 Attack.
Adamant Choice Scarf gets you 463 Speed and 383 Attack.
Jolly Choice Scarf gets you 349 Attack and 508 Speed, which is important to let you outrun major threats like Shell Break Adamant Cloyster, Scarf Jolly Garchomp, +nature Deoxys-S, Scarf Jolly Landorus, and +1 Timid / Jolly Volcarona / Salamance.
Hidden Power Ice with a neutral SpA nature does around 47.5% - 56.5% to 252/252 Careful Gliscor. (This is only without Poison Heal, so it may take 3/4 turns.)

Last edited:

UsernameSayWha?

Hates Hidden Power
Defensive CM
Mienshao @ Leftovers
Regenerator
252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- HP Ice
- Substitute/Filler

asterat

Banned
Invincible
leftovers
Regenarator
Moves:
Drain punch
Baton pass
Fake out
Bulk up
It's so undefeatable, it's insane. Fake out, then bulk up, then attack then baton pass. Repeat (with hp restored)

Status
Not open for further replies.