• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkrai1117

Fear the night...
Just looked through and I don't think this set has been said yet:
Quick Striker Mienshao
Regenerator
Jolly (+Spe, -SpAtt)
Normal Gem
4HP/252Attack/252Speed
-HighJump Kick
-U-turn
-Acrobatics
-FakeOut
This Mienshao can be used either as a great lead (although not against ghosts), or as a fast striking sweeper. Start with FakeOut, getting the priority and the boost from the Normal Gem. Acrobatics then becomes 110 bp without the item. HighJump Kick is the most powerful Fighting type move out there. Incase of a stupid ghost switching in on HJK, U-turn and Regenerator are there to restore some of the 50% HP that was in recoil.

Oh, ShadowGallade posted something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

tecannon521

Steel Cannon
Reversal
Regenerator
Jolly (+Spe -SpA)/Adamant (+Att -SpA)
Salac/Liechi Berry
4HP/252Att/252Spe
-Reversal
-Endure/Substitute
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge
A gimmick set, but why not. Regenerator for a lack of a better ability. Jolly/Adamant depending on what you want, faster or harder hitting. Salac/Liechi to boost speed/attack after Endure/Sub. EVS are what you would expect. Reversal hits hard when you are at low health. Endure/Sub to get you down to low health. Endure is simpler. Sub may require minor EV tweeks but can also protect from weather/status. U-Turn to hit and run against counters. Stone Edge for power and some coverage.

PMSandStormSBBZ

The Uber OU
For help for these people here, this is what Mienshao's upsides and downsides when using this 'mon.

:620:
Upsides:

-Good sweeping stats. Mienshao is no slouch with offense like almost every Fighting-type. Base 125 Attack is a force to reckon with, Base 95 Special Attack isn't too shabby, and Base 105 Speed outruns alot of 'mons, and speed tying with Zoroark.
-Regenerator. This Ability is cool on its own, as it heals up to 33.3% of your HP every time you switch out. However, since Mienshao has access to U-Turn, it basically means that every time he uses that move, he helps regain damage from Stealth Rock and/or Life Orb recoil.
-Good movepool. While it's movepool isn't overly flowing with options (especially on the special side), it can do with what he has. On the physical side: Drain Punch, U-Turn, Bounce, Hi-Jump Kick, Reversal, Acrobatics, Stone Edge, and Poison Jab. On the special side: Aura Sphere, Hidden Power, Focus Blast, and Grass Knot.

Downsides:

-Extremely frail. 65/60/60 Defenses just scream frail. Mienshao can't really survive any attack at ALL, and he detests priority, as he himself has no priority to match up against priority users.
-Isn't splashable for every team. You can't just throw Mienshao on any team and expect it to work. You need to use his strengths to the fullest by having a team to support him by giving him some assistance for him to achieve to his true potential. That's the hardest thing about Mienshao.

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
People over at Smogon are going crazy over ice Hidden Power just to nail those that have a 4x weakness. Might want to include it somewhere as it can be vital.

A gimmick set, but why not. Regenerator for a lack of a better ability. Jolly/Adamant depending on what you want, faster or harder hitting. Salac/Liechi to boost speed/attack after Endure/Sub. EVS are what you would expect. Reversal hits hard when you are at low health. Endure/Sub to get you down to low health. Endure is simpler. Sub may require minor EV tweeks but can also protect from weather/status. U-Turn to hit and run against counters. Stone Edge for power and some coverage.
No to Reversal sets, priority is way too common.

Here's the Smogon thread.

Last edited:

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit
Not when you're running a lead and aren't using Quick Guard. (i.e. you're playing Singles) You are giving up U-Turn healing, but immunity to Fake Out does have its uses. It's certainly not "garbage."

Uh, having an ability for one move that is rarely on sets is a wasted slot. Go Regen...

Fluffykitty

since 1997
Ability- Regenerator
Item-Life Orb
Attacks-U-Turn, Drain Punch, Aerial Ace, and Stone Edge

More of an all out attack. Life Orb boost and STAB with Drain Punch to recover HP if it's too early to switch out yet. Aerial Ace to cover other Fighting types like Medicham and Gallade. Stone Edge for flying and U-turn for a quick escape.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
I lurv this pokemon, jussayin.
Epic anti-lead/scout because of U-turn, Fake-Out, Taunt, STAB HJK and nice Attack+Speed make it a nice offensive Anti-Lead, and Regenerator lets it scout like a boss.
Stating the obvious for the win.
:620:

People over at Smogon are going crazy over ice Hidden Power just to nail those that have a 4x weakness. Might want to include it somewhere as it can be vital.

On a dedicated Physical attacker? I think I'll pass.

Kraleck

What I use:

Regenerator @ Flying gem
Nature: Adamant (Att +, Sp Att -)
EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Acrobatics
- U-turn

great for a lead, and/or scouting. probably been mention, though

Teammate: Zoroark. Reason, make Zorry appear as Mienshao, in which the opponent will expect Fake out, or u-turn, but instead, Zorry stays, and floors the counter. It's just a suggestion, though

Ah, right...Partners. Knew I forgot something.

-Zoroark is a great Partner to any Fighting Type (moreso against Psychic Types than Flying Types). Getting "Mienshao" slammed by a "neutral" Fighting Attack will ruin Zoroark's surprise, though.

-A bulky Psychic type like Slowbro, Slowking, or Reuniclus to swap in using 'Shao's U-turn is good to soak a Psychic, Psyshock, or Zen Headbutt. A bulky Steel or Dark would be better, but refer to the problem Zoroark has.

-Ferrothorn is great for messing with Physical Attackers when U-Turning.

-Any good Wall/Annoyer will be a good setup to getting 'Shao back in. Whimsicott and Ferrothorn can wreak veritable havoc.

-Ghost Types are great to U-Turn out to, but beware - most of 'Shao's counters are also Ghosts and you could be sending yours into one that easily took the brunt of 'Shao's U-Turn (Gengar, Dusknoir, etc.).

-Getting a Rock Type in to back 'Shao up pays off...especially if its name is Pressure-dactyl.

Mienshao has a lot going for it in the offense department. Backing it up with something that can take a hit (or several) really helps. Short of that, revenge-killers will work, too:
-Accelgor and Scolipede can deal with Psychic Types
-Aerodactyl and Jolteon can deal with Flying Types
-Galvantula and Weavile can deal with both

However, many Pokemon can use Moves of those Types quite well without STAB and have Moves to counter the recently mentioned 6, so know your 'Shao counters well...

Pokeman Man

The Real Slim Shady
OMG I LOVE THIS ONE! This is my favorite 5th generation fighting type Pokemon!
It is strong and has a good move set. Plus it looks SO CUTE! But, it does lack the bulkiness it needs. It's actually going to be on my final team.

So here's my set.

Reverse the competition
Regenerator @ Focus Sash

Reversal
U-Turn
Bulk Up
Bounce

252 HP
252 Defense
252 Special Defense

Reversal and Focus Sash is a deadly combo. Focus Sash leaves you with 1 HP. Reversal does more damage with lower HP. So this will do good.

U-Turn and it's ability, Regenerator,
do good becuase uturn sends Mienshao back. The ability will restore 1/3 of it's HP when sent out of the battlefield. So, you can't go wrong with that, either.

Bounce is a 2-Turn attack. That actually means a free dodge. Whoopee! It also does decent damage.

Bulk Up will boost these attacks. Deadly!

The EVs are there because Mienshao really needs the boost on these specific stats.

This set will do wonders. Do this right!

Nice one. You can't top over 510 EVs, duh.
If you were a real competitive battler, you'd know this.

FrozenFroslass

Identity Disorder?
(Sorry if this has been mentioned before)

Alright, so this is just to use Mienshao as a support-lead (Only lead for stat ups... Not very tricky to mess up other teams, but it works if you're able to sweep after raising stats). It's speed isn't bad, which is why it's useful.

Ability: Regenerator or Inner Focus (Inner Focus is OK, but really situational. Maybe good against a Fake Outer, but that won't be every opponent. Regenerator is good with the Baton Pass)

Item: Birghtpowder would help, since it's a free Double Team, but it's still a gamble.

Ability: Whichever fits the type of team you want. For this, I'd choose either Adamant (+Att, -SpA) or Modest (+SpA, -Att).

Moves:
Drain Punch/Aura Sphere (Physical or Special Team. Also STAB to hit hard. I couldn't think of any other Phys/Spec pairs of different types at the moment, for a better coverage. This is just support, though, so it doesn't need to focus on that. Do whatever fits your likes)
Bulk Up/Calm Mind (Same as above)
Double Team
Baton Pass

Basically, this set is obviously for boosting. Double Team is a savior in battling if you can get it up. Also, this would be very helpful if all the team members had Baton Pass, but you don't have to use those slots if you don't want to. If you have a member you can Baton Pass to that can sweep almost everything, then that's perfect. I had other variations of it, to fit your ideal setting, but I like this one for support. I know it would be hard to get those stats up, because you need Double Team. It's a gamble, and I also know that's not very good sometimes, but it has the potential to pay off. You can always change up the moves to add something to help keep it alive while it boosts, but unfortunately, Mienshao doesn't have many of those in its movepool.

If anyone can think of even better variations of a Support-'Shao, I would love it, since I want to use one for that purpose, just to fake people out.

Last edited:

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Offensive Baton Passer@Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd 252 Atk 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Bulk Up/Swords Dance
Hi Jump Kick
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Baton Pass

Defensive Baton Passer@Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd 252 HP 4 SpDef
Nature: Jolly
Bulk Up/Swords Dance
Drain Punch
Rock Slide/Ston Edge
Baton Pass

Two gimmicky sets, one of which is more offensive, the other defensive. I didn't take the time to look to see if these sets were already posted, so maybe I just repeated. Anyway, choose the boosting move of choice, possibly attack, and Baton Pass the stat boosts. Being one of the fastest Bulk Up and Drain Punch users is nice, which is mainly why these sets may work. Rock Slide/Stone Edge is the other move, for coverage.

toawest1

Pokemon Trainer
mienshao
nature-Adamant
ability-Regenerator
held item-Focus Smash/life orb
moves-
-Swords Dance
-Pay Back
-Drain Punch
-Fake Out/U-turn
EVs
-252 speed
-252 attack
-4 hp

Alright, so this is just to use Mienshao as a support-lead (Only lead for stat ups... Not very tricky to mess up other teams, but it works if you're able to sweep after raising stats). It's speed isn't bad, which is why it's useful.

Ability: Whichever fits the type of team you want. For this, I'd choose either Adamant (+Att, -SpA) or Modest (+SpA, -Att).

Moves:
Drain Punch/Aura Sphere
Bulk Up/Calm Mind
Double Team
Baton Pass

Basically, this set is obviously for boosting. Double Team is a savior in battling if you can get it up. Also, this would be very helpful if all the team members had Baton Pass, but you don't have to use those slots if you don't want to. If you have a member you can Baton Pass to that can sweep almost everything, then that's perfect. I had other variations of it, to fit your ideal setting, but I like this one for support. I know it would be hard to get those stats up, because you need Double Team. It's a gamble, and I also know that's not very good sometimes, but it has the potential to pay off. You can always change up the moves to add something to help keep it alive while it boosts, but unfortunately, Mienshao doesn't have many of those in its movepool.

If anyone can think of even better variations of a Support-'Shao, I would love it, since I want to use one for that purpose, just to fake people out.

Wouldn't Driftblim do this better, as he can pass +3 Evasion in the form of Minimize and has more resistances? (But evasion is banned in standard play most of the time) The only thing he can pull off is a fast Bulk Up. Mienshao isn't that great of a Baton Passer, especially with 65/60/60 defenses. What Mienshao should Baton Pass are substitutes, as switching grants him 33% of his health to create more. Otherwise, I would stick to Offensive sets.

Ghost types are great counters/checks to Mienshao. If they carry Will-O-Wisp, or Scald in Jellicent's case, they can switch in on a Fake Out/Fighting move and proceed to burn something the next turn. However, a Mienshao user can employ U-Turn to escape.

The Intersect

Moveset Master
Mienshao huh lets have a looksee
OK a few choices

Here's the first... Just for fun ;)
I will inflict annoyance
Ability:Inner focus - as this set will be taunt bait but is a good laugh
Item: Leftovers - you will likely be running subs
Nature: Timid, Jolly
EV's 252 speed 252 hp 4 defense
Moves:
-Detect
-Toxic
-Protect
-Substitute/endure.
You can tell this set is just to annoy people that wont lose Hit them with toxic then just stall the hell out of them with the other 3 moves and leftovers all you have to do is survive one hit from one pokemon at a time as long as no steels or poisons show their faces.

Next Is
So What If My Arms Look Like Scarfs
Item: Leftovers or Big Root
Nature: Jolly or Adamant
Ev's 252 attack 252 speed and 4 defence
Moves:
-Drain Punch
-U-turn
-Me First/Knock off/Stone Edge/Fake Out
-Bounce/Knock off/Stone Edge/Swagger
Drain Punch is for stab and even more healing than regenerator and leftovers
U-turn deals damage whilst allowing a switch and activating regenerator and kills psychic's and dark's
Me First can devastate dragons and ghosts (especially those running psychic like gengar
Knock off can cripple pokemon relying on their item
Stone edge takes out the flying types that will no doubt show up to revenge kill you
Swagger is an option i guess i just wanted to mention it its very underrated most of the time.
Fake out for free hit purposes

Until Next Time THANKS ;)

Last edited:

Del Mundo

Ghost Fan
Life should be the only item. With regenerator and drain punch, its just a maybe less powerful ambipom but with healing

PMSandStormSBBZ

The Uber OU
Why would anyone use Drain Punch when Mienshao has Regenerator?

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Question: if you attack a flying gem to, lets say mienshao, and have it use acrobat, does it get the gem boost AND the acrobat boost, or not?

FrozenFroslass

Identity Disorder?
Wouldn't Driftblim do this better, as he can pass +3 Evasion in the form of Minimize and has more resistances? (But evasion is banned in standard play most of the time) The only thing he can pull off is a fast Bulk Up. Mienshao isn't that great of a Baton Passer, especially with 65/60/60 defenses. What Mienshao should Baton Pass are substitutes, as switching grants him 33% of his health to create more. Otherwise, I would stick to Offensive sets.

Ghost types are great counters/checks to Mienshao. If they carry Will-O-Wisp, or Scald in Jellicent's case, they can switch in on a Fake Out/Fighting move and proceed to burn something the next turn. However, a Mienshao user can employ U-Turn to escape.

Ah yes, I know. I just wanted to think of a different use for Mienshao instead of the same basic set that's been in most of the suggestions.

Oh, Substitute... I skimmed it, but forgot it in the Baton Pass... I wonder what sort of set would be useful.

-Life Orb
-Regenerate

-Fake Out
-Drain Punch
-Substitute
-Baton Pass

That was just a mash of things... Trying to be more on the offensive side. It's also on the spot. I don't know about Fake Out being there, but Drain Punch can be effective.

Offensive certainly is the best strategy for it, Baton Passing should be reserved for other things like Drifblim, as you said. However, some people just like to use things for other purposes...

random13

Joltic Fan

Ability: Regenerator or Inner Focus (Inner Focus is OK, but really situational. Maybe good against a Fake Outer, but that won't be every opponent. Regenerator is good with the Baton Pass)

Item: Birghtpowder would help, since it's a free Double Team, but it's still a gamble.

Moves:
Drain Punch/Aura Sphere (Physical or Special Team. Also STAB to hit hard. I couldn't think of any other Phys/Spec pairs of different types at the moment, for a better coverage. This is just support, though, so it doesn't need to focus on that. Do whatever fits your likes)
Bulk Up/Calm Mind (Same as above)
Double Team
Baton Pass

Brightpowder is banned by Serebii's hax clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.