• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacial Rend

Ultra Trainer
Question: if you attack a flying gem to, lets say mienshao, and have it use acrobat, does it get the gem boost AND the acrobat boost, or not?

Yeah, it gets both boosts. The Flying Gem is used up before Acrobat is used, so it works that way nicely. That's why most people attach Flying Gem to Pokemon that use Acrobat.

Zachmac

Substite+3 attacks
Jolly or adamant/252att/252spe
Leftovers/Life Orb/Salac or Liechi berry
Regenerator/Reckless
-Substitute
-Drain Punch/High Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Acrobatics/High Jump Kick/Bounce

Substitute helps it avoid it's poor defenses, all you have to do is force a swap out. The second move depends on if you want to restore HP or get a power boost from reckless. Stone Edge provides great coverage, hitting birds, bugs, most psychics, and most ghost. The third move is a filler. Acrobatics hits with 110 power if you use a berry, High Jump Kick is great, and Bounce can spread paralysis if you're lucky, but it's mainly if you don't want the other moves.

Leftovers helps with substitute, Life orb deals more damage, and works well with drain punch. The berries work well with substitute and acrobatics.

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Yeah, it gets both boosts. The Flying Gem is used up before Acrobat is used, so it works that way nicely. That's why most people attach Flying Gem to Pokemon that use Acrobat.
SWEET, well with that in mind...

MienOW
Item: Flying Gem
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Regenerator
Moves:
Acrobatics
U-Turn
Swords Dance
High Jump Kick/Drain Punch/ Jump Kick/ Reversal
Ok so, as i was just told you get BOTH the flying gem boost AND the acrobatics boost, which kicks serious bootay, and deals with other fight and grass types.
U-Turn, so you can get as much use out of regenerator as possible, and score a hit on psychics, darks and... grass... again
Swords Dance to up your already respectable attack
Last move is for STAB, HJK has massive power, but you miss you faint, at least with this guy, drain punch is for survivability, Jump kick has a higher accuracy but lower attack, reversal is for when you are on low HP, but you know that you will faint the foe, then choose it.

EV's 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Hp.

And for mienfoo...
crouching tiger, running weasel
Item: Eject Button/Normal Gem/Bug Gem
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Regenerator
Moves:
Detect/U-Turn/Baton Pass/Fake-Out
Toxic
Drain Punch/Reversal/HJK/JK
Work Up/Swords Dance/Bulk Up/U-Turn

Ok, in little cup I THINK this could do some damage, Toxic poisons, that's it's job, right? Detect makes YOU survive, U-Turn allows for another team mate to destroy the already weakened foe, Baton Pass can let you pass on a boost or two to a team-mate and Fake-Out has great synergy with U-Turn
This is just for a bit of STAB, Drain Punch keeps you alive, reversal is for when you're about to faint, HJK/JK is a nice bit of power
Last move is to up stats or to switch out, you choose.
The Eject Button is just so you can utilise the regenerator ability to it's fullest, but you could use normal gem, or bug gem, just to up their respective powers.
This set is next to useless against ghost types like ghastly
EV's 252 Speed 252 Attack 4HP

Rotomknight

THE GREATEST TRAINER
meinfoo is a inferior meinshao. but with maybe with eviolite it could become bulky u turn regenerator in little cup?

SEREBII FOREVER! MARRIAND FOR NEVER!

Last edited:

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Passhao!

Passhao
Mienshao @ Leftovers (or Passho Berry for the delicious irony, even if there is no real effect)
252 HP/252 Spd/4 SpA
Regenerator
~Bulk Up
~Calm Mind
~Aura Sphere
~Baton Pass

Passing Mienshao is great because Mienshao gets both Calm Mind and Bulk Up, resulting in several boosts in Attack, Special Attack, Defense, and Special Defense being passed along, and Regenerator means that you don't need a recovery move and Mienshao can be used several times with deadly effectiveness.

Mienshao is one of my favorites this gen, alongside Lilligant, Bisharp, and...Carracosta. Don't ask why, just accept that prehistoric turtles > prehistoric birds every time. Musharna grew on me, even though I hated it at first with a fiery passion that was only expanded by the knowledge that Bianca owns both a Musharna and a Mienshao. I still want to kill her, but I approve of her choices...fufufufu...

Anyway. Beatiful, graceful, got gypped with no Power Whip, and magically gets Grass Knot and Reflect, but no special moves that aren't named Aura Sphere and no Light Screen. Why? Mienshao could have had a million different niches, but Game Freak has determined that this is not to be.

If anyone gets a stat and moveset overhaul next generation, then I'd like Mienshao to expand its moveset a little and receive better SpA.

I personally like Meinshao. Good Attack and SpAttack, as well as speed, cool design, and awsome ability Regenerator, paired with U-turn makes it amazing. So here goes-
BulkShao@Life Orb
Ability-Regenerator
Nature-Adamant(+Att,-SpAtt) or Lax(+Def,-SpAtt)
EVs- 46 HP/252 Att/210 Speed (Adamant) or 210 HP/252 Att/46 Speed(Lax)
Bulk Up
U-turn
Drain Punch/High Jump Kick
Fake-Out/Substitute/Rock Slide

Basic Meinshao, with Bulk up to set up. Run Adamant with Fake-Out to do massive damage with only some set-up, or run Lax with Substitute to set up and replace the +Attack from adament. So basicly, you Fake-Out, then Bulk up or you're attacking moves. U-turn out of Psychics or Flying-types(if not Rock Slide). But the you're best off using Substitute.

PMSandStormSBBZ

The Uber OU
Come on, guys. Throw out some sets for Mienfoo playing in the Little Cup.

:619:
The Little Hunter / Revenger (Choice Scarf)

-Hi-Jump Kick / Jump Kick
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge
-Knock Off / Toxic
Item Attached: Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator / Reckless
EVs and Nature: 236 Atk / 196 Def / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk,-SAtk)

Mienfoo isn't slow by any means, but it doesn't hit 19 Speed, only capping at 17 Speed at max speed with Jolly; therefore, he is slower than many of the threats that dominate LC, like Gastly. This problem is put to rest by slapping a Choice Scarf on him, getting him to hit 21 Speed with an Adamant nature and 76 EVs in Speed.

Hi-Jump Kick is extremely strong, capable of 2HKOing Bronzor without an Oran Berry (good luck finding a tank/wall without an Oran Berry), even without a Reckless boost. However, it's not recommended to spam HJKs until you scout out the other opponent's team with U-Turn. Jump Kick is for those who think that HJK's accuracy is too low, but the power difference is painfully noticeable.
Stone Edge hits those Ghosts and flyers for hard, solid damage. Pity about the accuracy.
Like so many Pokemon, Mienfoo's last move is a filler move. Knock Off can potentially win games to get rid of the other opponent's item, like a Choice item or an Oran Berry. Toxic is an interesting option over Knock Off to cripple walls, but really, Mienfoo should be destroying those walls instead of trying to status them.

The EVs and Nature are relatively straightforward. Adamant and 236 EVs in Attack are for maximum power against another 'mon. 76 EVs are dumped into Speed to hit the magic number 14 Speed, to outrun any Elekid bar Choice Scarfed ones. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Defense to help protect Mienfoo from the rampant priority attacks.
Alternatively, you can run a set with EVs as 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spd with Jolly to hit 25 Speed, to outrun more foes, but the list of opponents Mienfoo would be outrunning would be few and far from between, so it isn't recommended.

Choice Scarf boosts your speed, blah blah blah, helps you revenge kill, blah blah blah, we know what Choice Scarf does.

Other Options

Swords Dance can be a wallbreaker / late-game sweeper with a Salac Berry if all of the faster Choice Scarfers and/or priority users are either paralyzed or fainted.

Counters

Gastly is almost every Mienfoo's nightmare. It's immune to HJK, has a 4x resistance to U-Turn, and outspeeds Mienfoo with 18 Speed. Gastly can either set up a Substitute as it switches, or attack. Bronzor with a Macho Brace EVed to survive Mienfoo's extremely powerful assaults can take a hit retaliate with a Gyro Ball. Pokemon with powerful priority like Dratini can come in after a death and revenge kill Mienfoo.
Otherwise, stick to outspeeding Mienfoo. Like mentioned before, Mienfoo only has 17 Speed, so outspeeding it is extremely easy.

griesmergriesmer

Water Dance Master
Restoreshao
Ability-Regenerator
Item@leftovers
nature-(+atk -spatk)
-DrainPunch
-Baton Pass
-Bounce
-Bulk Up/Substitute
Evs:252atk/252spd/4Hp or 4Def
The idea is to keep restoring Hp so you dont die. Bounce gives you type coveradge and hang time to restore Hp. Baton Pass abuses Regenerator and passes off Bulk Up and Substitute. Substitute blocks For Hp restore time from leftovers and D Punch, and Bulk up ups your atk and def. Drain Punch restores Hp.

Last edited:

Shuckle

EverydayI'mShucklin'
Restoreshao
Ability-Regenerator
Item@leftovers
nature-(+atk -spatk)
-DrainPunch
-U-Turn
-Bounce
-Bulk Up/Substitute
Evs:252atk/252spd/4Hp or 4Def
The idea is to keep restoring Hp so you dont die. Bounce gives you type coveradge and hang time to restore Hp. U-turn abuses Regenerator and passes off Bulk Up and Substitute. Substitute blocks For Hp restore time from leftovers and D Punch, and Bulk up ups your atk and def. Drain Punch restores Hp.
Why? In any regeneration set, HP should take priority. Might I suggest HP and Attack EV's, with 4 Spd?

No, U-Turn is not Baton Pass. It will do nothing for Bulk Up, although I don't know about Substitute. If you want Baton Pass, use Baton Pass. Shao gets it, after all. Bounce is...okay. Acrobatics would be better, even without the Flying Gem boost, but icwutudidthar. Anyway, Swords Dance > Bulk Up on Shao, because it's simply a larger boost to the stat you want. Defense, in my opinion, is unnecessary.

By the way, type coveradge (sic)? That, my friend, is a whole new word right there.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Why? In any regeneration set, HP should take priority. Might I suggest HP and Attack EV's, with 4 Spd?

Why? The recovered HP% is going to be the same, Mienshao doesn't actually even benefit from the additional HP (It'll be KOed Either way) and Regenerator prevents it from dying from recoil, not from taking hits.

Zachmac

MienOW
Item: Flying Gem
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Regenerator
Moves:
Acrobatics
U-Turn
Swords Dance
High Jump Kick/Drain Punch/ Jump Kick/ Reversal
Ok so, as i was just told you get BOTH the flying gem boost AND the acrobatics boost, which kicks serious bootay, and deals with other fight and grass types.
U-Turn, so you can get as much use out of regenerator as possible, and score a hit on psychics, darks and... grass... again
Swords Dance to up your already respectable attack
Last move is for STAB, HJK has massive power, but you miss you faint, at least with this guy, drain punch is for survivability, Jump kick has a higher accuracy but lower attack, reversal is for when you are on low HP, but you know that you will faint the foe, then choose it.

EV's 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Hp.
It need better coverage. Add stone edge.

Reversal sucks. Remove it, it's too situational and risky.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Pfeh.

I'm being very spastic with posting these sets now and whenever, but I've got another.

Switching Mienshao... Thing.
Nature: Jolly/Timid
Item: Life Orb/Shed Shell
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
-U-Turn
-Baton Pass
-Bulk Up/Calm Mind
-Drain Punch/Aura Sphere

A Set to take full advantage of Mienshao's switching prowess. First off, Shed Shell is always an option, despite the relatively low number of trapping moves/Abilities that affect Mienshao in the Metagame. Life Orb is your other option, giving a boost to your attacking moves, which can be healed by switching. U-Turn is a nice move which takes advantage of Life Orb and to give you a heal, which in turn negates Life Orb recoil. Calm Mind and Bulk Up are good stat-ups to Baton Pass, Dependent on whichever needs be. Drain Punch or Aura Sphere to take advantage of the boosts if you stay in, Same goes for Jolly or Timid. Its mainly dependent on who you're passing them to, though, usually.

On a side note, if they don't ban Shadow Tag Chandelure, Shed Shell will be needed, as he has, as I've stated before, and immunity to your stab and x4 resistance to U-Turn, meaning you can't touch him... Unless you run Baton Pass, which then means Life Orb is nice.

Scrafty1313

Regenerator

Mienshao's is a straightforward pokemon and I'm going to dispel this one right off the bat here: Regenerator has no place on Mienshao. It is far too frail to give a care about HP regeneration, and Reckless is just so much better on it. Jolly is hands down the nature to go for here - Speed is so important nowadays in the more offense-oriented generations that you'll almost always want to go max Speed on 'mons that sweep, especially naturally quick sweepers like Mienshao. Hi Jump Kick is VERY risky (Mienshao basically commits instant suicide off one missed Hi Jump Kick) so you'll be best off scouting your opponent's team and moves with Fake Out and U-Turn and the like first before hitting hard, otherwise you may end up killing yourself in humiliating fashion.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
↑ Er... Regenerator is there to heal Life Orb recoil, check a few posts above.

As for more of a contribution, Quick Guard and Wide Guard are being left out alot in the litle being talked about multis. I believe only Hitmontop and the Mienshao family are the only ones to get both. I don't use it, havn't used, but someone else could want to try their hand at DoubleGuard?

PMSandStormSBBZ

The Uber OU
And for mienfoo...
crouching tiger, running weasel
Item: Eject Button/Normal Gem/Bug Gem
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Detect/U-Turn/Baton Pass/Fake-Out
Toxic
Drain Punch/Reversal/HJK/JK
Work Up/Swords Dance/Bulk Up/U-Turn

Ok, in little cup I THINK this could do some damage, Toxic poisons, that's it's job, right? Detect makes YOU survive, U-Turn allows for another team mate to destroy the already weakened foe, Baton Pass can let you pass on a boost or two to a team-mate and Fake-Out has great synergy with U-Turn
This is just for a bit of STAB, Drain Punch keeps you alive, reversal is for when you're about to faint, HJK/JK is a nice bit of power
Last move is to up stats or to switch out, you choose.
The Eject Button is just so you can utilise the regenerator ability to it's fullest, but you could use normal gem, or bug gem, just to up their respective powers.
This set is next to useless against ghost types like ghastly
EV's 252 Speed 252 Attack 4HP

There are some mistakes here. For one, the EVs you're using aren't meant for LC play. There are different mechanics for EVs for Pokemon at Level 5 than at Level 100. Instead of the normal 4 | 252 | 252 EV spread, Mienfoo should run a 236 Atk | 236 Spd | 36 Def / SDef. For more imformation on EVs in LC or LC in general, click here.

Also, why would anyone use Detect? Use Protect in its place.

The items are alright, though, execpt for the Gems. Eject Button can help restore lost HP, and you could most likely bring in a Venoshock user to take advantage of the poison.

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
There are some mistakes here. For one, the EVs you're using aren't meant for LC play. There are different mechanics for EVs for Pokemon at Level 5 than at Level 100. Instead of the normal 4 | 252 | 252 EV spread, Mienfoo should run a 236 Atk | 236 Spd | 36 Def / SDef. For more imformation on EVs in LC or LC in general, click here.

Also, why would anyone use Detect? Use Protect in its place.

The items are alright, though, execpt for the Gems. Eject Button can help restore lost HP, and you could most likely bring in a Venoshock user to take advantage of the poison.

Ahh, cheers :)
Did not know that, something to take away. I never plan to do the little cup at any point :L

Question: What's the difference between detect and protect?

PMSandStormSBBZ

The Uber OU

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Pfeh.

I'm being very spastic with posting these sets now and whenever, but I've got another.

Switching Mienshao... Thing.
Nature: Jolly/Timid
Item: Life Orb/Shed Shell
EVs: 252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 HP
-U-Turn
-Baton Pass
-Bulk Up/Calm Mind
-Drain Punch/Aura Sphere

A Set to take full advantage of Mienshao's switching prowess. First off, Shed Shell is always an option, despite the relatively low number of trapping moves/Abilities that affect Mienshao in the Metagame. Life Orb is your other option, giving a boost to your attacking moves, which can be healed by switching. U-Turn is a nice move which takes advantage of Life Orb and to give you a heal, which in turn negates Life Orb recoil. Calm Mind and Bulk Up are good stat-ups to Baton Pass, Dependent on whichever needs be. Drain Punch or Aura Sphere to take advantage of the boosts if you stay in, Same goes for Jolly or Timid. Its mainly dependent on who you're passing them to, though, usually.

On a side note, if they don't ban Shadow Tag Chandelure, Shed Shell will be needed, as he has, as I've stated before, and immunity to your stab and x4 resistance to U-Turn, meaning you can't touch him... Unless you run Baton Pass, which then means Life Orb is nice.

U-turn and Baton Pass both ignore the trapping effect of Shadow Tag. You don't need Shed Shell unless you hate Scarf'd Chandelure.

Status
Not open for further replies.