• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraleck

Will-O-Wisp is deadly on a Victini, But do not use against Heracross or Espeon. U-turn to switch out with damage, and Fire Blast for STAB.

Espeon? You do realize Fire Types like Victini are NOT affected by Burns, even from Will-o-Wisp hitting a Synchronize or Magic Bounce Pokemon, right?

Heracross is...understandable, despite Weaknesses to both of Victini's STABs...but any Guts Pokemon switching into WoW is a threat. Espeon just gets a free shot with Shadow Ball next turn (and Burn damage if it has Synchronize Ability) if you think you can just U-Turn out.

That said...Fire Blast and WoW? You must be insane to not consider losing some power for Burns at the same rate as Discharge's Paralysis by using Searing Shot. At least you don't guarantee a Guts boost or a wasted turn against Magic Bounce with it...

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
This has nothing to do with the pokemin of the week but why the hell is victini UU?!
Tiers are based on usage so Pokemon that aren't commonly used or voted broken will fall to lower tiers.
Victini's flaws often out way it's strengths due it's now mediocre defenses due to the infamous power creep with masses of key weaknesses brought by its typings. Also as far as I'm aware Celebi, Mew and Jirachi also happen to be UU this gen so why wouldn't Victini?

This has nothing to do with the pokemin of the week but why the hell is victini UU?!

For the same reason Rampardos is. Victini has better defenses but far worse typing. Its V-Create is also stopped dead by a Tyranitar (especially with Pursuit) or Politoed, two VERY common Pokemon.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Tiers are based on usage so Pokemon that aren't commonly used or voted broken will fall to lower tiers.
Victini's flaws often out way it's strengths due it's now mediocre defenses due to the infamous power creep with masses of key weaknesses brought by its typings. Also as far as I'm aware Celebi, Mew and Jirachi also happen to be UU this gen so why wouldn't Victini?

Uh, no, pokemon who are voted broken are kicked to Ubers.

Jirachi is OU.

Moving on, I'm surprise no one has mentioned this set, as I found great success with it. Too addicted to V-Create, I suppose.

Victory Star Abuse

Victini w/ Victory Star + Choice Scarf/Specs/Life Orb
Modest/Timid Nature, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Fire Blast
Psychic
Focus Blast/Final Gambit
Thunder

So. Your main attack here is going to be Fire Blast, a tremendously powerful STAB move which Victory Star grants almost perfect accuracy. Oh, yeah. It has a 30% chance to Burn, the same as Lava Plume. Meaning you have an almost 1 in 3 chance to burn with a strictly offensive move. And with 100/100/100 defenses, any physical attacker who gets burnt will be... well, screwed. Psychic is his alternative STAB, and isn't a bad type to have, considering how good fighting-types are this generation. Focus Blast and Thunder are coverage moves who have their accuracy boosted by Victory Star. As I'm sure you know, Thunder has a 30% chance to Paralyze, like Fire Blast's burn. However, with Thunder's lower accuracy and lack of STAB, you really shouldn't be relying on it. At all. Or even counting on it. Unless you're up against a rain team. Then it's your best friend. Focus Blast is even less reliable than Thunder, but it still has a higher chance of hitting than it does missing. It almost has 80accuracy after factoring in Victory Star (Thunder has about the same accuracy as Fire Blast without Victory Star, if you're curious. Final Gambit is an option on the Choice Scarf set, as even with minimal HP investment, most pokemon will have less than Victini's base 100 HP. Almost all sweepers (Not Honchkrow and Excadrill, though. But you don't want Victini up against those anyways).

Now, who counters Victini? Well, if you know your opponent has Victini, you're going to want to get SR down. No matter his set, it's going to help. Especially if it's a choice set. On the flip side, if you have Victini, you're going to want a spinner. If you have a choice item on Victini, you're going to NEED a spinner. For the Trick Room sets, a steel-type can help you lots. A lower-tier TR-abusing steel? Sounds like a synonym for Escavalier! Victini both takes the fire attacks he has a massive weakness to, and obliterates the steel-types that Escavalier has so much trouble with. In return, Escavalier dominates, well... Everything that doesn't resist bug. Seriously.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Even after the special defense drop?
UnSpec'd Kingdra yes.
It should be Adamant/Jolly, since if you use a scarf, you can outspeed those Scarfed Chandalure/Haxorus/Hydreigons.
Well, I already stated that Jolly is more usable in OU, Scarf or not. Adamant Scarf outspeeds Chandelure though. Also, most of the time using Victini in OU means sending it out against something that will either switch, or stay in and die.

Edit:
Uh, no, pokemon who are voted broken are kicked to Ubers.

Incorrect. UU Pokemon are banned to BL, OU are banned to Ubers.

Last edited:

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Incorrect. UU Pokemon are banned to BL, OU are banned to Ubers.

Well, yeah, but they said voted broken, not voted broken for their tier.
That and BL is pretty much the UU equivalent of Ubers.

Zachmac

Espeon? You do realize Fire Types like Victini are NOT affected by Burns, even from Will-o-Wisp hitting a Synchronize or Magic Bounce Pokemon, right?
It'll still be wasting a turn to use it on espeon.

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Counters-bacically you need to resist v-create and fusion bolt. Pokemon like Swampert,Quaqsire,Grastudon etc. work well. However, Victini is likely to use U-turn in those situations so stelth rock is highly recommended

Jeggyg

Veteran Nerd
Heatran would be a good counter, or anything with Flash Fire... or something similar, but yeah ^^ Swampert would work well...
I hate the legendary POTW's... i am totally uninspired...

epicgarchomp24

The Garchomp Master
Title:If you wanna win, you gotta hit hard.
Victini @ Life Orb/Choice Band
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Victory Star
-V-Create
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt/Psychic/Psyshock
-U-turn/Searing Shot/Brick Break

This set is mainly Physical but it has some special options. Run life Orb if you use special attacking moves or Porygon-Z will kill you. ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474; ;474;. Anyways, Choice Band is for a full physical set. V Create is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. 180 base power and 270 power with STAB. and it has NINETY-FIVE PERCENT accuracy. Victory Star makes this 105. Anyways Fusion Bolt also hits hard and provides coverage and will even do a hefty sum of damage to most bulky waters. Zen Headbutt is your other Physical STAB attack and can flinch. Psychic hits harder on the special side and Psyshock uses your special attack instead of your physical. U turn is for switch advantage and you can switch freely. Searing Shot is crazy powerful at 150 power with STAB and can leave a burn 30% of the time. Brick Break provides coverage against Darkrai, Tyranitar and other rock and dark type friends as well as destroyes screens.

Last edited:

EvanSeven

Victini is UU because its weaknesses are appaling, like the entire metagame will have a water, rock, ground, dark or ghost move. furthermore these weaknesses prevent it from using its ok defences. its attacking stats are nothing special, and V-create is all that makes it Better than other pokemon of its description. victini also packs a stealth rock weakness. it's niche does not even allow it to work in OU, as IMO choice scarf heatran will work better than scarf tini, due to it actualy resiting things, and CB darmatian packs all the power victini has under the sun without the extra weaknesses and with a better ability. finaly in OU victini has a OK base speed, but this metagame has sped up since 4th gen and victini is now outpaced by so many threats when unboosted, and weather teams speed boosts will make the scarf redundant.

thats a pretty comprahenssive list of why victini is UU, though it is suspect, due to its huge power V-Create. even if it is voted out of UU it seems unlikely it will be used in OU, except for the odd nutter who likes the design

Vandslaux

Could Victini function as a revenge killer?

Victini @Choice Scarf
Jolly
Victory Star
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
V-Create
Focus Blast
U-Turn
Final Gambit

Obviously, only use with a spinner, notably Forretress, who resists all of Victini's weaknesses except Water and Ground and Rock, but Forretress can take random EQs all day long.

pika250

Jolly and focus blast? Seriously!?
:494:
Seriously, did Gamefreak actually give Victini the Psychic type? Psychic only adds to its myriad weaknesses. (...Or does it? Might actually allow it to tank Fighting hits more, but that's just about it. And also giving STAB to Zen Headbutt on the all-out physical attackers like the Choice Band set.) Its only niche happens to be V-create. At least the Victory Star Ability does boost its teammates' accuracy in a multiples. Plus, it's cute as a Pikachu.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
I see nothing wrong with Jolly and Focus Blast. I see everything wrong with using Focus Blast, though. Brick Break murders Tyranitar more...

Psychic is kinda helpful, since Fighting is like the most common attacking type ever. Too bad it adds that Pursuit weakness.

arceusvictini

Taking over Serebii
I think all event legendaries with good moveset options should at least be OU. In Smogon's current (broken) reasoning, Arceus should be OU.
Anyway, I don't think anyone's thought of this, but a (maybe suckish) Victory Stall set?
Name: Victory Stall
Item: Chesto Berry
Nature: Impish/Bold/Calm/Careful/Jolly/Timid, depending whether you want bulk or speed and which side you want to contribute to stop Victini being Taunt bait.
EV's:252 HP/252 Spd/4 Defence you boosted for absolute speedy Victini or
252 HP/128 Def/128 SpD
Move 1: Substitute/Rest/Toxic/Light Screen/Safeguard/Will-O-Wisp
Move 2: Substitute/Rest/Toxic/Light Screen/Safeguard/Will-O-Wisp
Move 3: Final Gambit/Flare Blitz/Inferno
Move 4: Taunt

To start off, Victini's got a niche over most stallers because of its ability, which means attacks are 10% more accurate, meaning it's got more stalling turns than most stallers as it's less likely to miss. Stats say if you run the speedy options under Tailwind, you'll have a speed of 656, which outspeeds a +2 Jolly Excadrill and most Taunt users (except Pranksters) and is only 6 points away from outspeeding a +2 Naive Landorus, which is... well pretty fast. Subs make a bit of stalling for Victini, and he can do lots with it. Rest helps you rest, especially with Chesto. Toxic is always a good idea (unless there's a Poison Heal poke that you're poisoning). Light Screen helps your SpD a lot and it helps the team's as well, Safeguard is... good if you're crippled by Will-O-Wisp and Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers (when will there be a status that cripples special ones?). For the third move it's either Flare Blitz, which is good coming off a 236 Atk stat, same with Inferno, which is also nice coming off a 236 SpA stat, and its bad accuracy can be (a bit) solved by Victory Star, or Final Gambit (not the best idea) and these are maily to stop Victini being Taunt bait. Taunt is a no-brainer.

Also, maybe an endure-reversal set?

Name: Victorious EndureVersal
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EV's: 255 Spd/255 Atk
Item: Focus Sash
Move 1: Reversal
Move 2: Zen Headbutt
Move 3: Flame Charge
Move 4: Fusion Bolt

Main points here: Reversal is (after the 1st turn) 200 BP coming off a 328 Atk stat, which is very good. Zen Headbutt is good STAB, Flame Charge builds up speed, and why not Fusion Bolt?

Regiultima

Rises with Magnetism
I see nothing wrong with Jolly and Focus Blast. I see everything wrong with using Focus Blast, though. Brick Break murders Tyranitar more...

Psychic is kinda helpful, since Fighting is like the most common attacking type ever. Too bad it adds that Pursuit weakness.

First off, I'm going to Sig the first sentence. Next off, the problem with Jolly and Focus Blast is that Jolly lowers Sp. Atk and Focus Blast uses Sp. Atk.

MetalCrow

I'm surprised that I didn't think of it sooner, but... Flash Fire Houndoom for the win! Makes for perfect Victini counter in my eyes...... Well, except for focus blast anyways

TVSmasher66

The Other Gyarados

It's still a waste of a turn, and in the long run, that could mean the game.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
First off, I'm going to Sig the first sentence. Next off, the problem with Jolly and Focus Blast is that Jolly lowers Sp. Atk and Focus Blast uses Sp. Atk.

I know that. It's not like the difference is going to be very noticable, actually. There are 0 Pokemon that you would want to hit with Focus Blast and not with Brick Break, since Fire deals with Scizor, Ferrothorn, blah and sends them to hell. The point is, Victini spams V-Create and only cares about killing Politoed, Tyranitar, and Flash Fire Pokemon.

asterat

Banned
Victini without V-create (what is this guy smoking?)
-charge beam
-searing shot
-stored power/psychic/psyshock
-flame charge
Modest nature,252 spark, 252 HP 4 defense
A mor elong lasting pokemon. Charge beam and flame charge beam up you r special attack and speed. If yu manage stored power will be awesome. Other wise run a standard psychic attack. Then searing **** everything and charge beam waters or psychic attack them. If blissey and friends try to ruin your day flame charge unless you Carry psyshock

Status
Not open for further replies.