• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

36.png

This week we'll be doing Clefable, one of the classic Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/036.shtml

Clefable is capable of doing so many things and has so many different functions.

However, PLEASE don't post all the sets possible in one post. Discuss possibilities and come up with new awesomeness

Clefable (Bold) @Leftover
Magic Guard
EVs:252HP/120Def/52SpAtk/80SpDef (really I don't know the exact EVs)
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonlight/Wish
- Focus Blast/Protect

Cosmic power raise both clefable defenses, stored power get increasing everyime you used cosmic power, moonlight for recovery, or wish if you don't want the recovery nerfed in weather that not sunny day, focus blast so dark type couldn't wall you, or protect for get wish recovery

Smugleaf-pwns-all

Here comes the storm
PROS

GREAT ABILITES: Clefable has access to Unaware and Magic Guard, both are fantastic abilities and make Clefable different from the hundreds of other normal types

GOOD STAT DISTRIBUTION: Though Clefable has a rather low Base Stat Total, it's stat distribution saves it from become something like Castform, with mediocre stats across the board.

INCREDIBLE MOVEPOOL: Clefable's movepool is ridiculous. It has so many options and can fufill almost any task on a team.

CONS

JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE: Clefable has so many options, but only has four moveslots available.

OFFENSIVELY WEAK: Without a set up, Clefable is mediocre and cannot hurt bulky offensive threats such as Drapion.

OUTCLASSED: As mentioned before, Clefable can do everything...mediocrely. Blissey outclasses it as a special wall, Snorlax outclasses it as a bulky offensive behemoth. It is best used as a surprise choice in OU battles.

Belly Drum Sweeper
Nature: Jolly/Hasty
Ability: Magic Guard
Item: Leftovers/Toxic Orb
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4hp
~Facade/Double Edge
~Belly Drum
~Wish/ Filler
~Fire Punch/Fire Blast

Belly Drum Clefable. Hits like a mach truck. Get Clefable in on a wall and wish the first turn. Belly Drum up, then watch wish heal you. Now you stand at +6 Atk and 100% HP. Facade if you're running Toxic Orb, Return for lefties. Fire Punch provides good coverage with normal moves, but if you feel like using Clefable in OU, change the nature to Hasty and put Fire Blast in it's place. If you need extra coverage, the only move you should replace is wish, as Clefable needs its STAB moves and the fire coverage.

Utilitable (see what I did there?)
Nature:Calm/Bold
Ability: Unaware
Item: Leftovers
Evs: 252 hp/ *def/ *spec def
~Wish
~Aromatherapy
~Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Flamethrower/Psychic/Toxic/Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt/Ice beam/Flamethrower/Psychic/Toxic/Shadow Ball

*Evs are entirely dependant on what this set is trying to counter

The whole point of this set is as a counter to a specific threat. eg. +6 gyarados is about to rampage through your team. Switch in Clefable, take the hit with your customs Gyarados killing evs, and thunderbolt it to oblivious. Aromatherapy and wish are to support the team. Protect could also find it's way onto this set, as it works perfectly with Toxic, and complement Clefable's tankish stats.

Last edited:

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Clefable, huh?
Well, here's a variant of the set i use on PO, and it works pretty good.

;036;Clefable@Flame Orb/Leftovers
Calm
212 Hp, 252 Sp.Def, 44 Def
Magic Guard

-Seismic Toss
-Trick/Flamethrower
-Softboiled
-Toxic

Meant to be used in a sandstorm team, this set uses residual damage to wear down the target. Magic Guard makes Clefable immune to sandstorm damage, poison, and burn, with Leftovers for healing if you aren't using flame orb + Trick.
Seismic Toss is for attacking, Trick with flame orb is for burning physical attackers. Flamethrower is slashed for a way to take down pokemon such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. Softboiled is for healing, and Toxic is for stalling down the other pokemon.

Soperman

The One and Only
;036; is really weird... It's like Game Freak said, "Let's give this guy the best abilities and as many moves as we can!" and then forgot to give him good stats. Regardless, with those moves and abilities, he can get plenty done.

Weather Fairy forecasts Heavy Rainfall. Or a Drought.
- Rain Dance / Sunny Day
- Thunder / Fire Blast
- Calm Mind / Reflect
- Light Screen / Reflect
Item: Damp Rock / Heat Rock / Light Clay
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs and Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Atk)
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def

;036; In this set, you can kill two birds with one lightning bolt. Set up Light Screen and/or Reflect, then Rain Dance, and to top it all off is Thunder, with 120 power and 100% accuracy in the rain. Or, you could set up sun, and use boosted Fire Blast. The item depends on the role you want ;036; to play. Do you want extra long rain? Or perhaps sun? Maybe epic Duel Screens? Your choice. EV spread is for lasting long in battle.

Magical Fairy Dust to protect you from some pain
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Hyper Beam
- Thunderbolt / Flamethrower / Ice Beam
Item: Life Orb
EVs and Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk) or Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spd

This set takes advantage of Magic Guard preventing Life Orb from taking your health. Calm Mind for the Special Attack, Psyshock for special walls like Blissey. Psychic is stronger. Both are for Fighting types who threaten ;036;. Hyper Beam is epic STAB. The last one depends on the rest of your team; who do you need to cover; who can't you cover; which move looks cooler? EV spread is for good Speed and Special Attack.

Newton's Discovery
- Gravity
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard / Fire Blast / Thunder / Hyper Beam
- Blizzard / Fire Blast / Thunder / Hyper Beam
Item: Life Orb
EVs and Nature: Timid or Modest
4 Def / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd

This set is similar to the other, except with the use of Gravity. Lowers evasion by two levels, takes out Ground resistances. Pretty dang good if you ask me. With that, Focus Blast won't miss so much, and Neither will Blizzard, Fire Blast, and Thunder. Hyper Beam is epic STAB.

Partners
Depends how you are using Clefairy. If you have rain, bring in Water types and Dry Skin users. If you have sun, bring in Chlorophyll, Fire types, and Solar power users. In general, aim for a flying or a psychic type somewhere on the team. Taking out Blissey is nice, I guess... I don't actually know who else.

Double and Triple Options
Can set up Gravity, rain, and sun. The End.

Countering Clefairy;036;
Bulky fighting types? Snorlax? I don't know.;036; is so versatile, but it has mediocre stats. I think most bulky fighters can take this guy out. Anyone faster than it can take ;036; out... I'm mostly lost when it comes to countering ;036;.

;036; isn't the best, but it can certainly do well. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS WEIRD FAIRY.

I dont think i would ever use clefable as you could just use something which it was designed to do instead of something that can do it mediocrely.

Clefable
magic guard
life orb
-Calm mind
-ice beam
-thunderbolt
-soft boiled
modest
160 hp/252spatk/96 spe

Simply try to get up calm minds while recovering hp using soft boiled with the infamous bolt-beam combo for offence.

Not much more to write...its clefable.

Edit: to the guy above, we have already established that hyper beam is just not viable in competitive battling

Last edited:

Exeggator

Psychic Mastermind
My set:

Trickable
Nature: Timid
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4SpD
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Psychic
-Trick
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock

Simply use Trick to give Scarf your opponent and then paralyze it, use SR, let it KO you and/or switch Clefable into a Pokémon that resists the locked move. Unlike Latias with similar set, Clefable attracts Electric, Fighting, Fire and Ground moves, and therefore it is paired well with Air Balloon Dugtrio and Shadow Tag Chandelure. And with Max Speed, it actually outspeeds Infernape and Terrakion.

easilyamused1

Dual Screen Clefable:

Nature: Impish
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP, 180 DEF, 76 SP. DEF

Attacks:
Light Screen
Reflect
Wish
Toxic/Meteor Mash

Set up the screens, wish for extra support, and either toxic or meteor mash for dealing damage

keegster13

Ace Trainer
Clefable has been one of my favorite Pokemon since first generation simply based on it's looks alone. I think it was probably helped by the episode "Clefairy and the Moonstone" from the anime. Anyways, I've been using an annoying set with my Clefable recently that has managed to ruin teams that don't think she'll be much of a challenge.

Power Puff
Magic Guard
252 Def, 252 Special Defense
Holding: Leftovers
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Protect
Toxic

Though the set has one major problem (read, Steel types), Stored Power receives a 40 point power increase per each Cosmic Power used. I typically Cosmic Power, Protect for some recovery, Toxic, Protect... You get the idea. Utterly annoying but keep your eyes put for pesky steel/dark types.

Last edited:

hyacinth

Clefable@ Leftovers
Nature (Modest)
Ability (magic guard)
EVs: (252 hp/252 speed/4 sp.attack)
-cosmic power
-Wish/moonlight
-Thunder Bolt
-Ice beam

This bolt-beam set has always been a favourite of mine

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Power Puff
Magic Guard
nature: calm
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Holding: Leftovers
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Wish
Toxic / Protect
I like the set but it's heavily outclassed by Sigilyph. None the less, it's a good strategy although, I would use Wish to heal and then decide if you use Toxic or Protect on the last slot or not. Since Clefable heals a lot, put thee Evs into HP then its defences. In all other cases, it looks good. Moonlight is usable but it is not reliable outside of normal weather or sun.

frogofdoom555

(>:O) FFFFFFUUUUUU
OK. Seeing as clefable doesn't learn any moves via level-up, clefairy gives it lots of possibilities for clefable via level-up. So here it is.

Death Wish @ Quick Claw
Timid nature
EVs: 58 Sp. Attack 158 Speed 252 HP
Magic Guard

Psychic
Wish
Protect
Hyper Beam

Psychic gives it an advantage over it's one weakness: Fighting.
Wish gives it a recovery move.
Protect gives Wish a big hand because of the two turn drawback.
Hyper Beam gives it a huge powerhouse move. The recharge drawback doesn't matter because of the HP boost.

Overall, clefable has a huge variety of moves that give it lots of possibilities. And this is just one of them.

TVSmasher66

The Other Gyarados
Overview
Oh Clefable, how i despise you. Yo can do anything, from Attacking to Walling. But, sadly,it's not that great. Snorlax, Blissey, and Porygon2 Outclass it. IT DOES come with Unaware and Magic Guard, making it useful. It has a amazing movepool, useful for any team, ever. But, it's mediocre. But if you want to, here's what you can do:

Abilities
Cute Charm- 30% Attract on hit? Very Good, but it has better.
Magic Guard- Prevents all damage besides direct attacks... Amazing.
Unaware- Ignore foe's stat changes. Can change a game completely!

GET IN MEH BELLEH
Nature: Jolly/Hasty
Item: Leftovers/Toxic Orb
Evs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4hp
-Facade/Double Edge
-Belly Drum
-Wish
-Fire Punch/Fire Blast

Belly Drum. Simply put it at that. Toxic Orb if you want to run Facade (Though Heracross runs Facade better with Guts). Wish to keep this thing alive, and Fire Blast/Punch for Seeping and taking out common threats (Ferrothorn)

Wish apon a star for... DUAL SCREENS
Clefable @ Light Clay/Leftovers
Nature: Calm/Bold
Ability: Unaware
Evs: 252 hp/252 def/4 spec d
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Wish/Flamethrower/Healing Wish
-Encore

Pre-Evolution Corner
Clefairy can do everything Clefable can do but bulkier. Clefairy could run the Dual Screens well, maybe better, than Clefable. Like all Clefable stats, it just depends on HOW you use Clefairy to make it better than it's evolution.

Done for this week, got lots of info this time around :]

Last edited:
OK. Seeing as clefable doesn't learn any moves via level-up, clefairy gives it lots of possibilities for clefable via level-up. So here it is.

Death Wish @ Quick Claw
Timid nature
EVs: 58 Sp. Attack 158 Speed 252 HP
Magic Guard

Psychic
Wish
Protect
Hyper Beam

Psychic gives it an advantage over it's one weakness: Fighting.
Wish gives it a recovery move.
Protect gives Wish a big hand because of the two turn drawback.
Hyper Beam gives it a huge powerhouse move. The recharge drawback doesn't matter because of the HP boost.

Overall, clefable has a huge variety of moves that give it lots of possibilities. And this is just one of them.

No matter what context, Hyper Beam SUCKS. Even with the HP boost they can still use Shell Smash or Swords Dance and proceed to annhilate you. And Quick Claw is (as far as I know) frowned upon in competitive.

Specsfable?!
Clefable@Choice Specs
Evs: 124 Hp 252 Sp. Att 124 Spd
Modest Nature
Magic Guard

Psyshock
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Trick/Shadow Ball/Signal Beam/filler

Gimmick set. Psyshock is to hit weak defenced foes hard. Boltbeam for coverage. Trick can potientially cripple a physical attacker. However, Shadow Ball and Signal Beam can be used for coverage. Shadow Ball hits Psychic types and has decent power. Signal Beam is weaker but also hits Dark types and has a pesky confusion chance.

Countering Clefable:
For any non-status Stored Powerers, Dark-types are the way to go. If being used in OU, Scrafty can eat it alive. Shed Skin and Stab Fighting moves>Clefable. In UU, any reasonably fast yetr powerful Fighting-types can hurt it. Hitmonlee, Mienshao(is it UU? I'll have to check.), they do pretty well.

Last edited:

Kheytoo

Anyone with an eye for competitive move sets can easily see that Cleffy has some really good Lead moves, so here's my set

Lead@Focus Sash/Leftovers/Light Clay(screens only)
Magic Guard
Bold (+Def -Atk)
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Sp.Def

-Sing/ThunderWave/Encore/Stealth Rock/Gravity/Magic Coat/Copycat/Reflect/LightScreen/Healing Wish
-Sing/ThunderWave/Encore/Stealth Rock/Gravity/Magic Coat/Copycat/Reflect/LightScreen/Healing Wish

Pick any 4 out of those, except both status, and you should be good to go. Status moves to cripple immediately, Encore screws up the opponents idea of stat boosting and things other than spikes. Rocks are rocks, ALWAYS USEFUL!!! Gravity if you like running things like Focus Blast and Thunder on other sweepers in your team. Magic Coat to bounce back things like Spikes. Copycat if you are slower(very likely) and expect something potentially useful. Dual Screens are nice for your team. Healing Wish for later in the game if you need to heal something and Cleffy is useless.

On another note, would Echoed Voice be any use on the Choice set? It does start at a horrific 40 base power, but "The user attacks the target with an echoing voice. If this move is used every turn, it does greater damage." Any idea how much stronger it gets per turn?

Last edited:

Caetano93

surprise lead
Clefable@leftovers/light clay
magic guard
Nature:bold
EV: 252 hp/252 def/4 sp.def

magic coat
stealth rock
reflect/light screan/gravity/wish/heal bell/knock off
reflect/light screan/gravity/wish/heal bell/knock off

Magic coat is the great surprise. It bonces back all opening moves (taunt, entry hazards, status). Stealth rock is amazing. The last two moves is what you need. Reflect and light screan is for suport, gravity can help your moves but remember, is for the two sides. Wish and heal bell are graet. Knock off is another surprise for removing that nasty eviolite or leftovers. For reflect and light screan use light clay, for the other moves use leftovers.

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
Standard Wall
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware [Unreleased]
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Wish
- Protect / Aromatherapy
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock / Drain Punch / Fire Blast

Wish + Protect = Recover HP. Aromatherapy = No Status. Body Slam = Paralyse. Stealth Rock = Entry Hazard. Drain Punch = 3HKO Excadrill + 2HKO Tyranitar. Fire Blast = 2HKO Excadrill. Unaware Cleffy does survive two Earthquakes from Excadrill, though probably not with Stealth Rock. Or Spikes, or whatever.

Last edited:

Geekje

I see what you did there...

Moves:
  • Mimic
  • Softboiled/Wish/Moonlight
  • Cosmic Power
  • Stored Power

Nature: Modest / Adamant
Item: Focus Sash
Ev's : Attack / Special Attack

Basically this set up is for ruining either a special sweeper or physical. Normally the ones such as Garchomp switching in to outrage or dragon claw you to death, you use mimic and hopefully ko or deal enough damage to cause a switch out. Recovery move of your choice if all goes to plan. Can also deal damage if there isn't a noticeable threat out there with the two power options.

Power, it's not just a fable...

Moves:
  • Wish
  • Sing
  • Belly Drum
  • Wake up slap

Nature: Jolly
Item: Life orb
Ev's : Attack / Speed

Running max speed is essential for this build to even be effective. Sure it only has 240 max speed, but 240 is better than nothing...Right? Faster than the bulky Snorlax, thus singing, wishing, drumming then slapping to oblivion.

Last edited:

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Lead-Clefable@Focus Sash
Modest
252 HP 252 SPA 4 SPDEF
Magic Coat
Stealth Rock/Thunder wave
Fire blast/Ice beam/Thunderbolt
Counter/Wish

Magic Coat to bounce off opposing taunts and entry hazards. Stealth rock to set up your own hazards. Special attack of your choice. Fire blast OHKO ferrothorn and fortress. Thunder bolt 2KO skarmory counting in sturdy and can 2KO politoad. Ice beam if you're having trouble with dragons. Counter can be used to KO physical leads such as tyranitar. Where as wish gives you some team support.

archeopsdan

ahh clefable our old friend from gen 1 :)

as every one has already said he has a brilliant movepool and abilities but with no stats to make them useful......
oh well heres a try:
you cant kill me :)
;036;@leftovers
bold, magic guard/unaware
252 Hp, 128 Def, 128 Sp.def
-cosmic power
-moonlight
-toxic
-fire blast

so cosmic power boosts your defenses aking you unkillable.......i mean unfaintable..., moonlight is recovery along with leftovers meaning this will work better in the sun. toxic is your main source of dealing damage and fire blast is there to attack steels and hopefully burn them(im looking at you excadrill).

attempting offensive tank
;036;@toxic orb
adamant, magic guard
252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Def
-facade
-drain punch
-meteor mash
-moonlight

basically toxic orb boosted facade gives out huge power and stab, drain punch is a source of recovery, meteor mash hit ghosts and fight resisting rocks and then moonligh tis the main source of recovery, the purpose of this set is not to sweep but to slowly decimate your opposition with boosted facades etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.