• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #30

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJtheporcupine

Pokemon hunter
Counters:
Clefable is outspeeded by many pokemon, so fast fighting types, like sawk, heracross and hitmonlee are good, just looking out for psychic. Ferrothorn, Blissey and other walls can obliterate support clefables, as long as it is not carrying taunt or a decent fire move. Solid Rocks can help defeat it with clefables low offensive stats, and Clefable itself is a good counter itself, running with Thunder Wave, Taunt and Sing to hold off itself.

What most people don't realise is that Softboiled and Magic Guard/ Unaware don't go together.

A Clefable/Clefairy from Emerald with move tutot taught Softboiled can only have the ability Cute Charm.So if you want Softboiled,you have to have Cute Charm.If you want Magic Guard/Unaware,you're gonna have to use
Moonlight.Get it now?

I saw this set on Random Matchup once.Perfect for late game sweeping and stalling.

Stored Power

Nature:Calm/Bold
Ability:Magic Guard/Cute Charm
Item:Flame/Toxic Orb/Leftovers
EV:252HP,4Speed,252Defence/252Sp.Defence

-Stored Power
-Cosmic Power
-Moonlight
-Minimize/Hidden Power Fighting/Ghost/Sing/Sweet Kiss/Substitute

Stored Power gets +20power each time for each stat increase.Cosmic Power boosts your defences by 1 level each time it's used.usableB]Moonlight[/B] heals 100% in sun,50% in regular no-weather and 25% in rain, sandstorm and hail.Here if you are uncomfortable with weather,Softboiled is usable,just remeber you are running Cute Charm,not Magic Guard,so...Flame/Toxic Orb go bye-bye!I don't know if Minimize is usable,but if it is,it would be awesome.+2 evasion,can't ask for better than that.It also gives a +40power boost to Stored Power when used.Hidden Power Fighting hits Steels and Darks which would want to wall you.Ghost hit Psychics harder.Sing/Sweet Kiss act as switch in stoppers(if they hit,that is)and cover.Predict a switch and force the switch-in to switch out.Substitute.I'm pretty sure you'd know what Substitute does.

Calm for Special Defence.Bold for Defence

Magic Guard prevents (other) statuses if Toxic/Flame Orb has activated.Leftovers should definitely be used with Cute Charm Softboiled.Leftovers can also be used with Magic Guard,but why would you waste Magic Guard?

EVs.Depends on your prefence.252 Defence gives you more physical bulk while 252 Special Defence makes you a special wall.Sorta.

That's all I got.Just remember.Softboiled ONLY goes with Cute Charm.

;036; was here.Well,no,it wasn't.

PikaSnap

Joan Ranger
Clefable. I had one in Gen I that I used as a tank. Now of course there are much better options for tanks, but it is possible to run a Metronome set on Clefable. It's risky, but different- surprise your opponent.

What most people don't realise is that Softboiled and Magic Guard/ Unaware don't go together.

A Clefable/Clefairy from Emerald with move tutot taught Softboiled can only have the ability Cute Charm.So if you want Softboiled,you have to have Cute Charm.If you want Magic Guard/Unaware,you're gonna have to use
Moonlight.Get it now?

I should mention that Softboiled can be paired with Magic Guard, as if you migrate your clefairy with softboiled to 4th gen and evolve it there, it will have a 50% chance of changing from Cute Charm to Magic Guard. However you are right about Unaware. :)

PokefanTez

Due to moonlight having problems in weather, wouldn't it be better to use wish, especially if you are using substitute or protect?

Due to moonlight having problems in weather, wouldn't it be better to use wish, especially if you are using substitute or protect?

it can be when you are using substitute, especially protect though as you can Wish+Protect, or SubWish, WishSub. Also if you want a Wish passer in your team it can be an option, it depends on the set you're running.

Swoobat

Completely outclassed by Lickilicky if you ask me...

Abilities

Cute Charm: 30% chance of inflicting infatuation when attacked directly. Completely overshadowed by Magic Guard.
Magic Guard: Prevents all damage except from direct attacks. Very usefull, especially for a wall. No Toxic, No Leech Seed, yeah.
Unaware: Ignores opponent's stat changes. Also a great ability, because you can't be defensively set up on.

ChoiceFable

~Echoed Voice
~Fire Blast/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball
Ability: Magic Guard/Unaware
Nature: Modest(+Sp. Attack, -Attack), Timid(+Speed, -Attack)
252 Sp. Attack/252 HP or 252 Speed/4 Speed or HP
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

My god. Clefable gets like... every useful special move. Echoed Voice is STAB and gets more powerfull every turn its used consecutively. Usefull, considering you won't be changing moves. The next three are a toss up. Fire Blast takes out Steels. Thunderbolt and Ice Beam make the infamous BoltBeam combo. Focus Blast takes out Rocks and Steels, but its very inacurate. Grass Knot takes out Rocks and is more accurate then Focus Blast. Shadow Ball takes out Ghosts.

Outclassed by Lickilicky? Does Lickilicky have Magic Guard? Does Lickilicky have Softboiled? I think it's the opposite.

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
i was looking into darkrai and i dont think it was done justice..if you ask me its move set should be: nightmare, dark void, dream eater, dark pulse....nature: hasty, serious, naive, modest, mild, bashful, rash, and quirky....trait: bad dreams....held item: zoom lens, x accuracy(use for beggining of battle), dread plate, and wide lens..use dark void in the beginning of the game(or x accuracy), then use nightmare, next use dream eater until it wakes up, finally finish it up with dark pulse...i think if it were to use that move set then it would be pretty impossible to beat it. ;491;

Last edited:

JJtheporcupine

Pokemon hunter
i was looking into darkrai and i dont think it was done justice..if you ask me its move set should be: nightmare, dark void, dream eater, dark pulse..trait: bad dreams..held item: zoom lens, x accuracy(use for beggining of battle), dread plate, and wide lens..use dark void in the beginning of the game(or x accuracy), then use nightmare, next use dream eater until it wakes up, finally finish it up with dark pulse...i think if it were to use that move set then it would be pretty impossible to beat it. ;491;

1. Run Nasty Plot, not nightmare.
2. Dark pulse gains STAB, better than Dream Eater
3.This is Clefable not Darkrai.
4. Only post related stuff.

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
1. Run Nasty Plot, not nightmare.
2. Dark pulse gains STAB, better than Dream Eater
3.This is Clefable not Darkrai.
4. Only post related stuff.

im only making a suggestion for the next potw..also bequiet newbie i dont need nonsensicle lip from you

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
EdgeFable
Clefable@Life Orb
Impish nature
Magic Guard
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
~Double-Edge
~ThunderPunch
~Ice Punch
~SoftBoiled

Clefable's base Attack stat of 70 is none too impressive. In spite of that, however, there's not much other than Ghost-types, Rock-types, or Steel-types that will like being on the recieving end of a STAB and Life Orb-boosted Double-Edge, especially when the user isn't taking a single hit point of recoil damage. ThunderPunch and Ice Punch make up the dreaded BoltBeam combo's physical counterpart. SoftBoiled is, of course, for easy HP recovery.

The ability of choice? Magic Guard, hands down. Unaware is a useful ability, but Clefable looooves its recoil-free Life Orb Double-Edges. Not even at gunpoint should you consider using a Clefable with Cute Charm. Well, OK, maybe at gunpoint. Depends on how serious the person with the gun is about such a strange demand.

FacadeFable
Clefable@Toxic Orb
Adamant nature
Magic Guard
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
~Facade
~Softboiled
~Ice Punch
~Trick/Belly Drum/Brick Break

Magic Guard comes in handy once more, allowing Clefable to poison itself with Toxic Orb without incurring the damage that comes with it. Facade, under the influence of the bad poison, reaches a base power of 140- and that's without STAB! Softboiled is for the damage Clefable is likely to take from its opponents. Ice Punch is so ghosts don't totally wall you. And, as has been the case for many Pokémon in the past, 4-moveslot syndrome rears its ugly head. Clefable can run several moves in that last slot. Trick allows Clefable to foist its Toxic Orb upon an unsuspecting foe (and with luck acquire a Life Orb in the process), thereby badly poisoning them. Belly Drum allows Clefable to maximize its otherwise iffy Attack stat, but this WILL damage Clefable, so be careful. Brick Break is good if you're worried about freakin' Steel-types. Normal+Ice doth not good coverage make.

Again, Magic Guard is the obvious choice here, as it prevents the damage from the poisoning from the Toxic Orb.

TankFable
Clefable@Flame Orb
Modest nature
Magic Guard
252 HP/200 Def/52 Sp. Def/4 Sp. Atk
~Cosmic Power
~Stored Power
~Softboiled
~Trick/Bestow/Fling

If only Clefable got Psycho Shift, this would be for all intents and purposes identical to Sigilyph. And I know for a fact that Sigilyph with a set like this can and most likely will cause complete and utter chaos. Anyway, Cosmic Power ups Clefable's defensive stats, allowing it to take hits like a tank. Stored Power gains power from said defensive boosts, allowing Clefable to hit like a tank. Softboiled restores Clefable's health so it can continue to take hits and dish 'em out like a tank. And the last move is up to you, but they all serve the same purpose- burn the opponent. Sigilyph achieves this with Psycho Shift, but as I stated earlier, Clefable was not blessed with that option. So in this case (barring getting an opportunity to use Trick a second time), this last move will be a one-off burn. The Flame Orb also burns Clefable, protecting it from more debilitating status, such as paralysis and freeze.

Magic Guard. 'Nuff said.

WeatherFable
Clefable@Life Orb
Modest nature
Magic Guard
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp. Def
~Thunder
~SolarBeam
~Fire Blast
~Softboiled

Weather you like it or not, weather is a large part of today's competitive battling scene. This Clefable set was slapped together with that in mind. Thunder fries the Water-types of an opposing rain team. SolarBeam and Fire Blast take advantage of the sun. Softboiled... well... you know the drill by now. Also useful on your own sun or rain team, and a nasty little surprise should your opponent change your sun to rain, or vice versa. As a bonus, Magic Guard (in addition to preventing Life Orb recoil) stops Clefable from being damaged by Hail or Sandstorms.

HaxFable
Clefable@Leftovers
Adamant nature
Magic Guard
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
~Thunder Wave
~Swagger
~Headbutt
~Softboiled

We've all had that moment where a Glare/Headbutt Dunsparce swept our teams. Well, not me. I was usually on the other end of such sweeps. But I digress. Between the paralysis of Thunder Wave, the confusion from Swagger, and the flinch chance from Headbutt, good luck with your opponent being able to strike back. Almost completely walled by Ghost-types (I say almost because of confusion damage), but nothing's perfect. Softboiled is obvious.

I was considering recommending Unaware for this set, but it would be illegal with Headbutt. Magic Guard.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Since I'm bored, I'll post a couple more sets.

GravityFable
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk and HP, 4 Def
@: Life Orb

Gravity
Thunder
Blizzard
Fire Blast/Focus Blast

I quote Adam Savage from Mythbusters: "Gravity man, it's not just a good idea. IT'S THE LAW!" With this set, it's true.

GimmickFable
Nature: Not really sure which to use
EVs: again, not exactly sure
@: Leftovers/Life Orb

Stealth Rock
Hyper Beam
Fake Tears
Shadow Ball

You know this is the biggest gimmick of all time when Hyper Beam is on a set. I know Hyper Beam is a stupid move and should never be used, but the idea is to put this behind dual screens first. Use Stealth Rock next, then Fake Tears. If they switch in fear of Fake Tears, they'll get hurt by SR. If not, they take a Hyper Beam to the face. Because you are behind dual screens, the hit you take while Hyper Beam makes Clefable vulnerable will be lighter. Again, this is something that just came to mind and I doubt it will be decent, but I just thought about it.

Kraleck

"A 6-letter word for deceptive appearance..."
Stats: Impish, 100 to HP and both defenses, rest in Attack
Item: Toxic Orb
Moves: Protect, Facade, Meteor Mash, Stealth Rock

Basically, Protect to activate Toxic Orb and to scout, Facade for Status+STAB, Meteor Mash/Iron Tail for Attack buffs/Defense debuffs and Rock Types, Stealth Rock and flee if a Steel comes out. Not too terrible with backup, but dead if cornered.

In doubles/triples, have a Heal Pulse user to keep this 'fable from becoming another legend.

Backup
Clefable has little going for it in stats. Nothing is at or above Base 100. That said, giving it a Baton Passed boost is profitable. As a support, 'fable can fill Blissey's role in a lesser capacity. As a fighter, 'fable is outclassed on raw power, but has broad coverage. As such, fill roles with 'fable instead of backing it up.

A Baton Pass recipient 'fable will be almost as good as a non-buffed Pokemon with better offense/defense. It already smokes Blissey in the Defense and Attack departments, so it could be quite profitable to use it as a pseudo-Physical Wall.

A Trick Room team's 'fable is rather impressive with a -Speed Nature (Relaxed works with defense oriented 'fable, otherwise Brave or Quiet for offense). Just beware of slower Trick Roomers like Ferrothorn, Druddigon, or Escavalier.

A team with fast, offensive Pokemon does quite well with pseudo-Wall 'fable (Magic Guard + Wish/Softboiled). Teams with defensive Pokemon work well with Facade-fable or Special-fable sets. Mix-fable is very usable with Magic Gurad+Facade or Unaware+BoltBeam and Annoyer/Walls like WoW-Weezing.

Clefable does very well as and with Ghost Type backup. Blocking a Shadow Ball or Brick Break on a switch will keep the opponent moving (especially with Choice users). Gengar and Dusknoir both appreciate the anti-Ghost-Type-Move property of the Normal Type and can counter a few of 'fable's feared foes (Dusknoir's Fire Punch on Ferrothorn, Gengar's offense on quite a few Pokemon). Then again, Psychic, Dark, and Ghost Types can put 'fable and these two down for a dirt-nap (usually carrying Focus Blast or Brick Break for Normal Types and Shadow Ball, Crunch, or strong STAB for Ghost Types), so watch for them as potential team-counters...

Screens are just begging for a Brick Break to 'fable's face, so it isn't wise to use them with 'fable. Best to save using them for a Pokemon that can get away from Fighting Type Moves (relatively) unscathed. Switching 'fable behind a screen is much better than a free KO for your opponent...

Scizorisnotcool

Release The Kraken!
I'm only making a suggestion for the next POTW... also, be quiet newbie. I don't need nonsensical lip from you.

Changes I think you should make are in bold.
Learn to spell and format your grammar, you look like a complete tool when you get angry at someone over the internet and have spelling like a four year old.

I was going to post a set, but it looks most viable combinations are already in here.

Waterlover711, I hate you.

JJtheporcupine

Pokemon hunter
im only making a suggestion for the next potw..also bequiet newbie i dont need nonsensicle lip from you

and your calling me a noob because?

anyway

Encore! Encore!

Nature: Impish/calm
Item: Leftovers/Sitrus Berry (not recommended)
Ability: Unaware/Magic Gaurd
Evs: 252 defence 240 sp.def 16 HP

moves:
Taunt
Encore
Moonlight
Seismic Toss/Thunder Wave

A simple Struggle staller for set ups. First, encore them into repeatedly raising stats, Unaware helps a lot. Taunt them so they can only use struggle, thus damaging them. Thunder Wave stalls their struggle, while Seismic Toss is incase of a Taunt. Moonlight will heal you up afterwards, Magic gaurd in case of leech seed or sandstorm/hail setup. Best used at the start of a battle, during Entering set ups.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Time for another set

A Clefable in your face
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def and Sp. Def, 4 HP
@: Leftovers

Stealth Rock
Knock Off
Thunder Wave/Toxic
Softboiled

A status spreader, disruptor, and Stealth Rock-er in one.

Power Physical
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk and HP, 4 Def
@: Life Orb

Double Edge
Meteor Mash
Work Up/Softboiled
Fire Punch

Work Up and Meteor Mash are Clefable's only two ways to boost its attack stat, but Work Up is a guaranteed boost. Or you can have Softboiled for a longer lasting attacker, but this kinda removes the purpose.

FocusFable
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 Atk and HP, 4 Def
@: Life Orb/Leftovers

Substitute
Focus Punch
Double Edge
Meteor Mash/Shadow Ball

Clefable is able to pull off a Sub Punch set, although not too well. Meteor Mash is an attack boosting attacking option and Shadow Ball is for Ghosts.

Even fairies can cause Curses
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: EVs: 252 Def and Sp. Def, 4 HP
@: Toxic Orb/Flame Orb

Knock Off
Bestow
Reflect/Stealth Rock/Light Screen/Wish/Protect/Softboiled/Heal Bell/Facade
Reflect/Stealth Rock/Light Screen/Wish/Protect/Softboiled/Heal Bell/Facade

On a side note, I only intended to post one set, but I keep finding more. Goes to show how many options this miniature Mew can pull off.
Anyway, the idea with this one is to Knock Off the foe's held item and Bestow a status orb. I chose Bestow over Trick because if you get a Choice item, then the whole point of the set goes away. The last two moves are your choice, but don't choose Facade if you went with the Flame Orb. Choose a screen or two, throw Stealth Rock, make a Wish and Protect it, ring a Heal Bell, or deal a little damage with Facade.

I wonder what other sets will be suggested. I'm almost starting to feel a little bad for Reno because he has to look at more options for sets than the number of members of Facebook.

George~©

All Gravy
DrumPowerFable:

Clefable @ Leftovers - Magic Guard
Impish Nature 252 hp / 152 def / 104 SDef
Double Edge
Belly Drum
Cosmic Power
Softboiled

Clefable has... mediocre attack, and Belly drum fixes that. Double Edge is stab, whilst softboiled will heal off Recoil Damage. Cosmic power buffs you up so you won't go down without dealing out a significant amount of damage. Etc.

This was a PO set I found interesting, it works.

spuds4ever

I'm going to break the rules here a little and go with an offensive (but bulky) clefable.

Clefable (modest)
@ zoom lens
EVs 252 sp. attack 124 sp. def 124 def 8 hp
Sing
Stealth Rock
Dream Eater\Thunder
Focus blast

Sing disables fairly reliably. Then stealth rock to discourage switching. Dream eater for recovery and focus blast to counter darks. Other wise, thunder can be used instead of DE to be a little more reliable.

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
You know, I noticed there were not many mention of counters, so I will take a stab at it.

Clefable is Mew in miniature form. The one thing that can keep Clefable from using its massive movepool is killing it before it can do something, so a big hit from something fast will work. Since Clefable's stats will likely put in the UU tier, I will be looking at that tier first. Hitmonlee, Sawk, Virizion, and Heracross are some of the best. Being faster than the fairy and STAB Close Combat will put Clefable in its place.
Once Clefable pulls off a move, it is still difficult to figure out what kind of set it will run because it can break away and do something unconventional. Pranksters with a paralysis inducers can be effective such as Purrloin, Volbeat, or Murkrow. It can also help to add confusion to the mix because Magic Guard does not protect against damage from confusion.
Ursaring gets its own mention as a counter thanks to Guts/Quick Feet and STAB Facade. Guts is the better way to go against Clefable because it can power through possible Reflect and Cosmic Power with Guts boosted STAB Facade or Close Combat.
Haze can cripple a good chunk of Clefable sets and any Stored Power set.

Should Clefable be used in OU, the fast fighters to bring it down include Breloom, Terrakion, Infernape, Virizion, Cobalion, Lucario, and Mienshao. Breloom gets its own mention to block held status orbs with Spore.
For Pranksters, Whimsicott is is the ultimate, along with Thundurus. Both have Taunt, which hurts Clefable sets a lot, as well as paralysis. Again, adding confusion to the mix can help.

This is just a few ways to take down Clefable. Its stats are not superb, but its bulky enough to take some punishment.

I look forward to Sunday when I get to see Clefable's completed POtW page.

Suicune3000

Water Lord
Clefable @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 HP, 152 Def, 104 SDef

-Rest
-Cosmic Power
-Toxic
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower

Toxicstaller: Cosmic Power makes Clefable near enough untouchable with HP investment, Rest deals with status, and the Fire move deals with any Steel type that wants to ruin Toxic. Unaware prevents pokemon like Garchomp or Salamence having reason to set up, and the only things that can take it out are PHazing or a well-timed crit.
Partners: Heatran walls it, so anything that can take out Heatran and probably Poison types as well, Magic Guard pokemon also cause it problems, most notably Reuniclus.

Status
Not open for further replies.