• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Aww no one likes scyther... Well I have a pretty outdated set for him:
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Scyther @ Salac Berry
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 Hp/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Endure
-Reversal
-Swords Dance/Agility
-Night Slash

Ok pretty classic set here. Endure to remain at 1 HP, salac berry kicks in, then reversal to destroy the opponent. However while Scyther's speed is great he is going to be outspeeded by a few UU pokemon so if you'd like go for Agility instead of Swords Dance. But if you aren't afraid then with Swords Dance he'll have some insane power in his scythes. One Swords Dance and then an endure. At 1 HP Reversal will kill most it hits if you used SD already. However there are ghosts who will try to ruin your fun. That's where night slash comes into play. It stops the pesky ghosts immune to Reversal. Steadfast is because Technician and Swarm are both completely useless here. However this set has many flaws such as priority, Focus Sashers, and faster pokemon if you decide on Swords Dance.

Now for Scizor:

Bandzor
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 Hp/252 Att/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Superpower

I'm sure it's been posted like a billion times so I won't explain it.

Uh, anyone mentioned this Scizor set?

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 218 SpDef
Nature: Careful
- Roost
- Sword Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / U-Turn / Superpower

The most defensive set for Scizor, 252 HP for max. bulk and Careful nature with that EV spread is enough to take common HP Fires, coming from Rotom-W and Latios for example. Pull Sword Dances, then recover health with Roost and sweep with Bullet Punch.

WOWIE...

Sashed SDer

~Swords Dance
~Bullet Punch
~Bug Bite
~Reversal/Acrobatics
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant(+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Ability: Technichian

Self explanitory. Get at least one boost and beat the crap out of things. I like this set cause you get at least one Swords Dance up(unless you hit stelth rock). Bullet Punch is priority and gets STAB and Technichian boost. Bug Bite doesn't get priority but get STAB and Technichian. Reversal hits hard when you are at 1 HP. Acrobatics has 110 power when your sash is gone and Tecnichian when you have it.

Last edited:

Dark-Tyranitar

SAND VEIL HAX!!!
to anyone who puts jolly as a nature possibility for scizor:
Dont use it unless running agility cause adamant is better in every way. 10% speed boost doesnt matter when you are already so slow

Use adamant

anyway...

scizor is a awesome pokemon who remains near the top of OU it can even function quite well in ubers!

Uber choice band
EVs: 252 HP, 252 atk
adamant nature
choice band

bullet punch
U-turn
superpower
pursuit

acts as one of the best non uber revenge killers not in uber tier. bullet punch OHKOs deoxys atk form as well as doing plenty of damage to sweepers like darkrai, deoxys normal, and other frail attackers. U-turn is if you think they go for a switch use U-turn to scout as one of the more common switches to bullet punch is kyogre and u-turn does around 50%+ damage to it, it also KOs mewtwo. Superpower is for blissey, heatran, steels, as well as any other non uber treats in the tier that take effective damage from it. and pursuit is for catching psychic types on the switch. Its typing and max HP allow it to suck up psychics, dragon pulses, dark pulses etc.

Last edited:

spuds4ever

There are already a lot of scizor sets here so I'll give a scyther set.

Scyther @eviolite
Technician, adamant
EVs: 252 atk 252 spd 4 hp
Swords dance
Vacuum wave
Bug bite
Aerial ace

A great asset for Scyther is the option for eviolite which makes it decently bulky and definetely enough for getting a swords dance in. Vacuum wave is an anti-priority move that will virtually always go first as well as anti-steel move. Bug bite and aerial ace both get stab and technician boost which raises them both over 100 base power.

Kraleck

Countering Scizor
-Using Fire is a given, so we won't talk about it too much. Flame Body wrecks you if you get Burned on an unpredicted switch. Any non-STAB Fire will hurt...a lot.
-Steel is a colossal Type against this monster. Ferrothorn even punishes you for touching it. Superpower won't help it with repeated use, so getting a Stealth Rock in to chip off some of its low HP will help when it returns from a switch.
-Cofagrigus ruins Technician. You have 1 shot before you have to switch to remove Mummy. Similarly, Cursed Body has a chance to disable you, allowing a lucky Jellicent to wreck you.
-Those who can soak up a single attack and dish out a Will-o-Wisp will cripple Sciz'. Weezing, Dusknoir, and some appliance Rotom can do this quite well, as can Cofagrigus and Jellicent.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
I've used this set one mine.

Trick Room Scizor
Scizor@Focus Sash
Brave - Swarm
252 HP - 252 Atk - 4 Def
-Swords Dance
-X Scissor
-Iron Head
-Brick Break

You won't believe how many surprise kills you can get with this guy. Almost everyone switches out on an anticipated Bullet Punch. X Scissor when activated by Swarm is nearly unsurvivable. Iron Head is stronger than Bullet Punch even with Technician. The flinch rate helps in Trick Room. Brick Break is for coverage and beats Magnezone who traps you.

That's all I got.

NMx13

Scizor

Classiczor
-Bullet Punch
-Swords Dance
-Superpower/Bug Bite
-Pursuit/U-turn/Bug Bite
item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 hp/ 252 atk/ 8 def

Swarmzor
-Agility
-Swords Dance/Endure
-Reversal
-X-scissor
item: Focus Sash
ability: Swarm
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 atk/ 4 def/ 252 spd

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
Potw: *stab scizor
Held item: razor claw
Natures-Jolly or hasty
Ability-swarm
Moves-slash, razor wind, x-scissor, night slash

svenosman

I'll judge you...
Scizor

Abilities

Swarm: not the best ability for Scizor, because a Fire-type move will completely burn your HP, leaving nothing left to activate this ability.
Technician: not the best one for Scizor, best the best one possible. Powering up some weak moves, like Speed priority moves, is always good: hit first, hit hard(er).
Light Metal: halves your weight. jeeh... Like we were waiting for it. Grass Knot is x0,25 effective, Low Kick is x1 effective but Scizor isn't heavy... Light Metal isn't really needed.

Till the end

- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Endure
- Reversal
Item Attached: Muscle Band
Ability: Technician
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

Bullet Punch for taking out Pokémon who are faster or/and have a 1/4 HP left, so they can't attack you before they faint. Bug Bite let's you eat the opponent's berry, which is nice. Especially Harvest Exeggcute, who has a unlimited amount of berry + it's 4x effective, making it faint. Endure for leaving 1 HP left. That's when reversal comes to the rescue: 1 HP gives it 200 base power, with Muscle Band 220 base power. This will let you faint some more Pokémon before you will go down.

EVs and Natures

Always run 252 Spd. Don't be fooled by it's swiftly looking moves and appearence: it's slow. Jolly boosts your Speed a bit further, but it still is slow.

Other Options

Agility, Metal Claw, Swords Dance, Silver Wind, Vacuum Wave
Agility doubles your speed, making you faster, which is great for Scizor and the Endure/Reversal combo.
Metal Claw is boosted bij Technician, STAB'ed and can boost your attack. A great alternative for Bullet Punch, if your faster.
Swords Dance doubles your Attack. Great combination with Bullet Punch.
Silver Wind surprises most people, but a great attack for physical walls + it may raise all your stats.
Vacuum Wave is perfect for Steel-type Pokémon, thanks to the low Special Defence stat which most Steel-types share.

Double & Triple Battle Options

Weak to Heat Wave, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Eruption, etc. Especially if used in a Sun Team. That AND the fact that it's defences are not to good, I reccomand: don't use it.

Partners

Fire ruins you, so use a bulky water/rock to take 'em down. But: Fire is it's only weakness, so that's all you have to focus on. (add a little something down here).

Countering Scizor

FIRE! Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Eruption, Heat Wave, Blast Burn, Fiery Dance, Magma Storm, Flare Blitz, Inferno, Overheat, Sacred Fire, Searing Shot and, the attack with enough power to make 3 Scizors faint: V-create. Infernape, Blaziken, Chandelure and Heatran can take Scizor's STABs very well and burn all it's HP down to zero. Burning Scizor is also a very good solution. A rarely seen option is using a move that will change/eliminate Scizors Ability. Most people rely on Technician. Eliminating the effect of this ablity would be a disaster for your opponent. Simple Beam and Entrainment can eliminate the ability. Make sure you use Taunt before you use Simple Beam, otherwise the opponent will boost Scizors stats to the sky.

Last edited:
Scizor...looks like a fast guy. But he's not. Nice typing, though, except for the whole 4x weakness to fire. Beyond that, nice guy.

Scarfzor
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Technician
@Choice Scarf
-Bullet Punch
-Metal Claw
-Pursuit
-Bug Bite
252 Atk 252 Spd

Hit hard with technician and get out. Bullet Punch is there if you want priority (or if you're still too slow). With the choice scarf, you may as well go with Metal Claw for a STAB move. Pursuit gets guys switching, technician bonus, yup. Bug Bite is your other technician STAB. Use Jolly nature to raise speed more, and decreasing its useless special attack.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Scyther@Evolite
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 atk 252 spe 4 hp
Ability: technician

-Swords Dance
-Aerial Ace
-Bug Bite
-Vacuume wave/Bullet Punch/Pursuit

Bulky swords dance poke. Vaccume wave kills steels and weakened opponents. Priority is your choice.

Aurath8

Scizor Counters
One word. Fire. Scizor does not like Fire. Heatran can switch in fairly safely, outspeeds, and OHKOs with Fire Blast, watch out for Superpower though. Infernape can come in on a Bug Bite and Flare Blitz/Fire Blast it to death. Ninetales can come in on it's STABs, stop any rain and burn Scizor to a crisp with a Sun-boosted Fire Blast. Shadow Tag Chandelure against Scizor is an unfair fight as it resists or is immune to it's main attacking types, still be wary of Pursuit. Actually Pretty much any Fire type capable of taking a STAB Bullet Punch can burn Scizor. Cofagrigus gets a special menttion thanks to Mummy giving you a free turn while Scizor switches to setup or use WoW on the switch-in.
Will-o-Wisp is a great way of crippling Scizor. Dusclops, Jellicent, Weezing, Rotom-A, Prankster Sableye etc. all make good use of it.

Last edited:

svenosman

I'll judge you...
Scizor...looks like a fast guy. But he's not. Nice typing, though, except for the whole 4x weakness to fire. Beyond that, nice guy.

Scarfzor
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpAtk)
Technician
@Choice Scarf
-Bullet Punch
-Metal Claw
-Pursuit
-Bug Bite
252 Atk 252 Spd

Hit hard with technician and get out. Bullet Punch is there if you want priority (or if you're still too slow). With the choice scarf, you may as well go with Metal Claw for a STAB move. Pursuit gets guys switching, technician bonus, yup. Bug Bite is your other technician STAB. Use Jolly nature to raise speed more, and decreasing its useless special attack.

Thank you :) I like having credit for my work. About the 4x weakness for Fire: I just wanted to make a point that fire ruins you. Maybe I've gone a bit to far...

windsong

WEST SIDE
OH MY GOD STOP LISTING SETS THAT GIVE CB SCIZOR SPEED.

Please, please, please. All CB sets should be really using is U-Turn and Bullet Punch, and neither needs speed -- in fact, it's better to go after opposing Scizor, since then you can U-Turn out after they do and gain momentum in the rare case of a Scizor vs Scizor matchup.

Scizor has Swords? Where?
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Swarm/Light metal
@Focus Sash/Occa berry
-Iron head
-X-scissor
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance
252 Atk// 252 Spd// 4HP

OK, so here is something probably a little... different. A Baton passing Scizor, and one without Technician! That's partly because with this set, there's no point, as there aren't any moves equal to or below 60 base power. Basically, you set up Swords Dance, once should be good, but just to be sure, do it twice. You should survive the hit from the opponent due to the Focus Sash (or Occa berry, seeing as your only threat is Fire).

Then, you can start sweeping with Iron head and X-scissor, or baton Pass to teammates if your enemy has an unfavourable type (Heatran, for example). You can either use Swarm or Light Metal (Swarm is much more useful though, especially in combination with the Focus Sash).

But Scyther clearly does have 'em...
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
Steadfast
@Eviolite
-Steel Wing / Baton pass
-X-scissor
-Aerial Ace
-Swords Dance
252 Atk// 252 Spd// 4 Def

With an Eviolite, Scyther's defence raises above Scizor's, which it really does need, due to the fact that it has far more weaknesses. Again, this set is pointless with technician, so use Steadfast instead, or Swarm, instead. It should be noted that swarm is less preferable here, because of the absence of the Focus Sash. But The principle is the same. You set up a couple of Swords Dances and proceed to sweep, which Scyther will be more effective at than Scizor due to its higher speed. There is still the option to Baton Pass, but I prefer having Steel Wing, as it can take out two of Scyther's weaknesses (Ice and Rock, the latter of which is a 4X Weakness).

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Scyther used to be a serious OU threat, with the speed and power to deal monstrous amounts of damage to anything. It's ultimate goal was and is to be the perfect revenge-killer, dealing quick and powerful damage and never getting hurt.

The addition of Stealth Rock to the metagame ruined Scyther, crippling its strategy. Nothing since the introduction of Scizor in 2nd Gen has ever lowered Scyther's usage so badly.

I was outraged when Scizor took Scyther's place in the spotlight. 2nd Gen was built around improving everything with the new Steel-type, but in my eyes, unlike Magneton and Onix, Scyther needed no improvement.

In my personal experience, Scyther can strike out of the blue and devastate teams, but with bulky pokemon like Ferrothorn used so often, its capacity in OU is rather limited. Always pair Scyther with a Rapid-Spinner or a strategic hazard-avoider like Magic Bounce Espeon, and stick to UU or RU when bringing out Scyther. I always put Scyther on well built teams that have 5 great synergic pokemon. In the last stages of each battle, I send out Scyther like a secret weapon to rip apart the remains of the foe's team.

My favorite moveset uses Pursuit, Aerial Ace, Bug Bite, and Brick Break to make good use of Technician, but a moveset with Feint, Reversal, X-Scissor, and Endure that uses Swarm and tries to get to 1 HP isn't too bad. Like I said, Scyther is best in the lategame, so make sure that the opponent's priority-users are gone before using either of these movesets.

One last thing that may or may not have been said already: Never use Scyther with Eviolite. It's the most insane thing I've heard, and stems from the incorrect assumption that anything that can use Eviolite should. Scyther is way too fragile to worry about defenses, and Life Orb or Choice Band will help its strategy the most.

I'm a huge Scyther fan, and I hope that the higher popularity of the RU tier will restore some of its faded glory.

BigKlingy

Scizor

Vacuum Wave is perfect for Steel-type Pokémon, thanks to the low Special Defence stat which most Steel-types share.

Judging by the calculations I did before: not worth it. With maxed Sp Attack EVs and a booting nature (Something Scizor would have be insane to run), you hit 16% on Lucario. Yes, the ultra-frail Lucario. Again, not worth it.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Standardzor
Scizor@Choice Band/Life Orb/Muscle Band
Adamant nature
Technician
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Bullet Punch
~Bug Bite
~Aerial Ace/Wing Attack/Swords Dance
~Superpower/Rock Smash

Pretty much the standard issue Scizor set. Bullet Punch is your main attack. Steel may have horrendous coverage, but what essentially amounts to base 90 power priority (10 higher than ExtremeSpeed and Sucker Punch!) is nothing to sneeze at, not with that Attack stat. Bug Bite is Scizor's other preferred STAB move. Due to being at 60 base power, between Technician and STAB, that's 135 base power right there. X-Scissor's not sounding so hot now, is it? And that's not even going into the possibility of swiping an opponent's berry! The third slot depends on your item. Aerial Ace and Wing Attack are for all intents and purposes the same thing, given the popularity of evasion clause, so unless the lower PP of Aerial Ace doesn't appeal to you for some reason, either one works. Swords Dance, it goes without saying, is only if you're not running Choice Band. As for the last move, Superpower is preferable if you're running a Choice Band set. The stat drops won't matter, as CBers tend to switch a lot anyway. Rock Smash is significantly weaker, but does get a Technician boost, AND has that sexy 50% chance to lower the foe's Defense.

Choice Band is the item that you'll probably see recommended the most, and not without good reason. Essentially +1 Attack is nothing to sneeze at, even if it comes at the cost of being able to switch attacks. Life Orb doesn't provide as much of a boost, but it does allow Scizor to freely change which move it uses. Muscle Band provides an even smaller boost, but unlike Life Orb, doesn't hurt Scizor, allowing you to potentially fake a Choice Band. Scizor hits so hard in any case your opponent is unlikely to know the difference.

As for the ability, only go with anything other than Technician if you lost a bet. Light Metal isn't worth it, as Scizor's Defense is too high for it to worry about Low Kick, and it resists Grass Knot almost insultingly easily. Even if Low Kick IS an issue, not worth losing the extra power from Technician. And Swarm... no. Just no.

Agilizor
Scizor@Leftovers/Focus Sash/Muscle Band
Adamant nature
Technician
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Agility
~Metal Claw/Bullet Punch
~Bug Bite
~Rock Smash

Scizor has fantastic Attack, we've already established that. But what about its Speed? Base 65. Rather disappointing, when you consider what its pre-evolution, Scyther, is capable of. But, there's one thing here- Scizor gets Agility! With one move, Scizor achieves 458 Speed to complement its 394 Attack. Looking scary already. Metal Claw is actually the preferred STAB move here, achieving 112.5 base power between STAB and Technician. Agility makes Bullet Punch somewhat moot here, unless you really fear priority users. Scizor isn't frail by any means, and there's no priority Fire moves, so go with Metal Claw. To add to Metal Claw's appeal, it has the chance to increase Scizor's already sexy Attack stat by 1 stage. Swords Dance it ain't, but it's still a scary thought. Bug Bite is obvious, and NO SUPERPOWER HERE. You do NOT want to use a move that LOWERS Scizor's Attack! Not with this set! There is NO switching involved with this. Rock Smash is the way to go (can't believe I'm saying that).

Leftovers is the item of choice here, allowing Scizor to heal off any damage it takes while rocking the Agility. If, however, you live in fear of Fire, then by all means run a Focus Sash. Muscle Band is also acceptable for that little bit of extra Attack power.

Technician. Technician. Technician.

Specszor
Scizor@Choice Specs/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
Modest nature
Technician
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Vacuum Wave
~Silver Wind
~Ominous Wind
~Flash Cannon

Yes, I see its Special Attack stat. I do notice, however, a few things. One, it's at least higher than that travesty of a Special Attack stat what that burdens poor Heracross. Two, Scizor has an actually decent Special movepool, made even more decent by Technician. And three, it has access to not one, but TWO moves that have the chance to increase all of Scizor's main stats by 1 stage each. Including Special Attack and Speed. Namely, the STAB Silver Wind. And Ominous Wind, which also gets perfect coverage alongside Vacuum Wave, Scizor's only special priority move. Hell, the only special priority move, period. Flash Cannon for STAB.

Choice Specs gives Scizor's poor Special Attack a much-needed boost, but doesn't give it the freedom to swap between moves. And with Vacuum Wave and Ominous Wind, moves that have stuff that's immune to them, this can pose a problem. Life Orb gives Scizor more flexibility, but less of a boost, and the recoil might catch up to you. Wise Glasses gives the lowest boost of all, but no recoil.

Technician. Technician. Technician.

Partners:
Politoed for starters. The rain waters down (really bad pun intended) the Fire moves that would otherwise spell Scizor's doom. It's also nice to have a Flash Fire Pokémon at the ready. Switch it into the inevitable barbeque and profit. Another nice partner would be... well... basically, any Magnezone counter.

Counters:
Fire. Just fire in general. Anything with a Fire move will render Scizor useless unless Scizor can kill it first. Aside from the obvious, Scizor users should be wary of Arbok, and I know this from experience. Arbok can carry Fire Fang, and Intimidate waters down Bullet Punch enough to let Arbok strike back. Even scarier these days, given that Fire Fang now benefits from the Attack AND Accuracy boosts of Arbok's new toy, Coil. And the Defense boost from Coil also waters down Bullet Punch. I myself have been behind many Scizor KOs at the hands (figuratively speaking) of an Arbok.

Oh, yeah, and Magnezone is generally bad news for Scizor, especially if it's already gotten the stat drops from Superpower, or is locked into another move.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Here's my idea on the two. I'm better at movesets and possible items than natures and EVs.

Scizor
Ability: Swarm
Item: Occa Berry
Iron Head
Night Slash
Bug Buzz
Brick Break

Scyther
Ability: Steadfast
Item: Charti Berry
Air Slash
X-scissor