• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
*regrets his choice of username back as a 13-year-old*

Anyways, heres my set:

Shield Dust: Offensive Moves that have Status side effects can't hit with the side effects, Discharge for example, cannot trigger Paralysis
Tinted Lens: Not Very Effective Moves get an upgrade, 1/2 becomes Neutral, 1/4 becomes 1/2, Very useful, but I prefer Shield Dust.
Dream World Ability:
Wonder Skin : Makes moves that only afflict status conditions work half the time. not worth using.

Sp.Atk Moveset:

Venomoth@Insect Gem/Leftovers
Shield Dust/Tinted Lens
Modest/Timid
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP.

Bug Buzz
Quiver Dance
Venoshock
Morning Sun

Essentially for dishing out damage whilst being able to manipulate STAB, Morning Sun for Healing, Quiver Dance to up it's stats, there are probably better sets out there

Diaglio

049.gif

Mothra Is Makin' You Tired
Venomoth @ Wide Lens
Tinted Lens
252 Speed, 252 Sp Attack, 4 HP
Jolly
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball/Psybeam

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Don't use the Black Sludge. I know it may seem neat to cripple an opponent who Tricks the Black Sludge off Venomoth, but all they have to do now is Trick it onto something else on your team and you're in trouble. The only time you should ever use Black Sludge is if you're playing with an Item Clause and something else needs Leftovers, but even then Item Clause isn't standard.

It's not an issue if you're using an all-Poison team. I do that rather often.

frogofdoom555

(>:O) FFFFFFUUUUUU
Venomoth... Okay, let's see. This Bug/Poison type was fairly forgettable in the last few generations. It was basically a generic Bug type. 4th gen, however, brought it a great ability in Tinted Lens. For those who don't know, Tinted Lens doubles the power of "not very effective" moves, so a 2X resist becomes a neutral hit and a 4X resist becomes a 2X resist. That makes its lackluster STAB coverage less of an issue. Even with Tinted Lens, however, it was left in the shadows of fellow Tinted Lens user Yanmega, who is faster and more powerful.

5th gen brought a huge change for Venomoth, however: Quiver Dance. This amazing boosting move is spread to only a few Pokemon (all Bug types, with the exception of Lilligant), and it boosts Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed one level. So its like Calm Mind with a Speed boost thrown in. Venomoth's stats in these areas are all decent or better, so it can become quite threatening once it gets a few up. Venomoth also got the Hidden ability Wonder Skin, but with an amazing ability like Tinted Lens, there's little reason to bother.

Two other Pokemon get both Tinted Lens and Quiver Dance: Butterfree and Mothim, but neither of them is as fast as Venomoth (although Mothim packs a bit more power). Furthermore, those two are Bug/Flying types, and as such have that awful 4X Stealth Rock weakness, whereas Venomoth only has a 2X weakness, so it can switch in a bit more easily. So, being the only Bug/Poison type with Quiver Dance and Tinted Lens gives Venomoth a niche. It can't really compete with fellow Quiver Dancer Volcarona and its huge power, but Venomoth has its own niche.

This will probably end up being Venomoth's most common and most effective set this generation:

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Tinted Lens
Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Attack) or Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)
EV Spread: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Item: Leftovers OR Life Orb

Sleep Power
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power Ground/Baton Pass

A simple, yet effective set. Put your opponent to Sleep with Sleep Power, then use the free turn(s) to set up. There are only two offensive moves on this set (and only one if you run Baton Pass), but that's what Tinted Lens is for. It makes coverage less of an issue.

Bug Buzz is a given. 90 base power, a chance to lower Sp. Defense... Yeah, that's good. Just watch out for Soundproof Pokemon, who are immune to it. The second move is there to compliment Bug Buzz. Sludge Bomb is an additional STAB, although its offensive coverage is lackluster (its only supereffective on Grass Pokemon). Like Bug Buzz, Tinted Lens makes this less of an issue.

Hidden Power Ground murders any Heatran without an Air Balloon, which is important, because otherwise it walls this set. Not that it's likely that you'll see Venomoth and Heatran go head-to-head, but still. It also smacks a number of other counters hard, like Chandelure.

Baton Pass is another niche move Venomoth gets. Besides Masquerain, its the only Quiver Dancer who can Baton Pass. If Venomoth is faced with a threat it can't handle(like the aformentioned Heatran and Chandelure), Baton Pass to another Pokemon. Almost any Pokemon can benefit from Quiver Dance in some way, shape, or form, so it's a pretty worthwhile move.

Nature choice is simple. Timid if you want more speed, and Modest for more power. Timid is probably preferable, though, so you can get more Pokemon to sleep before they can take you out. As for item choice, pick the Lefties if you want a little more bulk, and Life Orb is all about power.

I guess you could kinda-sorta run a defensive set with Roost, but Venomoth's stats just aren't up to the job. Quiver Dancing is what it does, and it does it well. It's got the stats, it's got the ability, and it's got the moves. And God help you if it Baton Passes two or three Quiver Dances to an even more powerful ally.

So sad Venomoth was forgotten. Quiver Dance made it an EXCELLENT Baton Passer. Just wait until it passes 3 Quiver Dances to a Volcarona!

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
My set

Life Orb
Item: Life Orb
Poison Fang/Sludge Bomb
Bug Buzz/Signal Beam
Psychic/Zen Headbutt/Aerial Ace/Acrobatics
Hidden Power [Fire/Fighting]

Dispite Poison Fang's 50 base power, this STAB move can badly poison the target. If that wasn't enough, it can be replaced with Sludge Bomb; but remove Psychic as a possible move. If Signal Beam's confusion bonus isn't enough to cover its 75 base power, it can be replaced with Bug Buzz's 90 with a chance to lower the target's Sp Defence. As for Hidden Power's type, Fighting if you add a flying-type move like Aerial Ace or Acrobatics; or Fire if you add a psychic-type move like Psychic or Zen Headbutt.

Countering Advice: After much though, the pokemon I recommend are:
Flareon, a fire-type with high Attack and Special Defence that use Guts; espically when affected by a status condition by Venomoth.
Dragonite, a high Attack & Special Defence dragon/flying-type.
Skarmory, a steel/flying-type with high Attack and Special Defence.
Bronzong, with Levitate & Occa Berry, a steel/psychic with high Attack and Special Defence.
Ferrothorn, a steel/grass with high Attack and Special Defence.

Partners: Metagross and Empoleon can be very useful when battling with or against Venomoth. Gigalith and Gliscor [w/ Poison Heal] can also be good partners with Venomoth.

Last edited:

maciscool

yay first!

Shield Dust: Damaging moves used by the opponent will not have an additional effect. Really good for moves like acid spray and parahax moves like discharge.
Tinted Lens: The power of “not very effective” moves is doubled. AMAZING!!! 1/2 ---> 1 and 1/4 ---> 1/2. highly suggested.
Hidden Ability:
Wonder Skin : Makes moves that only afflict status conditions work half the time. not worth using.

My set: Sub-Sleep
Evs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd 4 HP
Item: Lefty's/ Lif orb
Ability: tinted lens

Silver wind
Sleep powder
Bug Buzz
Substitute

Silver wind for a chance at a all stat boost. Sleep powder to make them pokes go night night. bug buzz for some good damage and especially with tinted lens, will do damage ALL over the place. sub to save yourself cuz venomoth is kinda fragile.

hope you guys liked it!

idt silver wind is worth using, and u have its brand new move quiver dance as an option

maciscool

Hmm. Quite an interesting Pokemon as it has 2 useful abilities and Tinted Lens. Here they are.

Shield Dust: This ability blocks any added effects from attacks taken. This is very useful for moves like Body Slam or Poison Jab.
Tinted Lens: Eh, it could be worse. Tinted lens boosts power from "Not very Effective" moves. It's not very effective in the long run.
Wonder Skin: This ability makes status-changing moves less likely to hit. This is useful for annoying Watchogs with the Hypnosis-Confuse Ray combo. You might not see that combo around, but it's good to know you're protected.

Out of these 3, the top 2 would be Shield Dust and Wonder Skin. If you have access to Dream World, go with Wonder Skin. Otherwise go with Shield Dust.

So here's the set.

Spec Moth @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Wonder Skin
EVs: 15 Sp. Defense 30 Defense 58 HP

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb
Toxic

Quiver Dance to raise your already good Sp. Attack.
Bug Buzz for STAB and for coverage against Psychic and Dark Types.
Sludge Bomb for STAB and Coverage
Toxic to help whittle away damage.

COUNTERS

Bulk Fire Types, Fast Psychic types(NO REUNICLUS!), and anything else that can take Venomoth down. That's pretty much most things because this little guy is frail.

Partners
Bulky waters like Swampert for Fire, Rock, and Ground, Dark Types for Psychic(Bisharp is good) and everything else for everything else.

Overall, Venomoth is an awesome Pokemon if used correctly.

wat u said isnt true tinted lens makes venomoth harder to counter

maciscool

You should have Silver Wind as an option over Bug Buzz. A slight drop in power, true, but there's the chance of upping all of Venomoth's stats. And as its role is a Baton Passer, I'd say that would be considered fairly important.

its not worth it,quiver dance is a great move for venomoth
besides,its not likely u will get the boosat

Fast_shoesXx

Spec Moth @ Choice Specs

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb
Toxic

I don't think you realize how Choice Specs work.

Here's my set. Everyone has already covered the most effective individual sets, so I'll try to come up with something different yet viable.

Venomoth @Black Sludge
Modest/Timid [252 Spd/252 Sp. A/6 HP]
Tinted Lense

VenoShock
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz/Hidden Power [Fire]
Protect/Substitute

This set is to be used in combination with Omastar. Although not perfectly, they do cover many of each others weaknesses; Omastar covers Venomoth's Fire and Flying weaknesses (while remaining neutral to Psychic and Rock), and Venomoth covers Omastar's Grass and Fighting weaknesses (while remaining neutral to Electric and Ground). In addition, Venomoth, after Quiver Dance, can soak up some special hits while Omastar covers the physical ones.

The reason I chose Omastar among others is for it's ability to spread Toxic Spikes (preferably as a lead) while not sharing any of Venomoth's weaknesses. After setting up two layers, and most likely dragging out a Grass counter in the process, you may switch to Venomoth to get a free Quiver Dance in. Even if you can only set up one round of Toxic Spikes, that may be enough (you may have already figured out why). Poison-types are not Venomoth's counters, thus the chances of your opponent switching to one is very low (you get to keep your spikes up).

Now you can deal 195 Base Damage VenoShocks to your Poisoned opponents (Tinted Lense ensures the power remains so against all enemies) plus the added power of Quiver Dance. Every other turn, use Protect (or Substitute if you'd prefer, but I recommend the former) to rack up the Poison damage while Black Sludge heals you up. Bug Buzz is for another STAB, but I also suggest Hidden Power [Fire] to take care of the immune Steels.

Alternate Individual Set:

Venomoth @Black Sludge
Calm (252 HP/252 Sp. D/6 HP)
Tinted Lense

VenoShock
Toxic
Quiver Dance
Substitute

Basic idea is to stall special attackers while abusing the effects of Toxic.

Last edited:

wunderkind

Venomoth can be pretty forgetable, but now that I look at it, it's actually pretty good.

Abilities
Out of the three, I'd have to say Tinted Lens is the best. Wonder Guard and Shield Dust are only useful in certain scenarios.

Perfectly Ultimate Great Venomoth
-Quiver Dance
-Toxic
-Bug Buzz
-Venoshock
Item: Black Sludge/Wise Glasses
Modest/Timid (252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP)

Wait a sec, did I just use a Yu-Gi-Oh reference? I am such a nerd...
Anyway, a pretty basic set, but pretty effective, too. Quiver Dance is awesome, and is my personal favorite when it comes to stat-up moves. +SpA, +SpD, AND +Spd? Yes please! Bug Buzz is Venomoth's best primary STAB move, and the chance to lower the opponent's SpD is nice when it happens. Toxic+Venoshock is an awesome combo, especially with Quiver Dance and STAB. Wise Glasses boost SpA while Black Sludge heals. Your choice.

Tinted Lens is AMAZING for Venomoth, considering it's lackluster movepool. A whole lot of Pokemon resist both it's STABs, so esentially negating that resistance is pure awesomeness.

10speed12

Toxic terror
Nature:Modest
EVs:252 Sp Atk, 252 Hp, 252 speed
Abillity:Shield Dust
Moves:
Venoshock
Toxic
Quiver dance
Bug Buzz
Quiver Dance, Toxic, Venoshock. Thats about it.

hyacinth

been a favourite for along time used Venomoth loads in many games this is IMO the best set to run! Wide Lense is very important as if sleep power fails so does everything else a good pokemon with it is slowbro.

Venomoth (Timid) @Wide Lense
Ability (Tinted Lens)
EVs: 252 Hp/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
-Baton Pass
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Sleep Powder

Aurath8

Counters
The biggest threat that Venomoth has is it's decent speed and Sleep Powder. If he can put you to sleep he is almost guranteed to get at least one Quiver Dance away. Faster Pokemon with Taunt stop him completely. Persian, Weavile, Whimsicott, Thunderus, Aerodactyl, Gliscor. After that they can status it, KO it or setup as it flees. Pokemon immune to sleep do well too. Noctowl, Primeape, some crazy person who decides to use Vital Spirit Electivire. If you don't have anything to absorb Sleep then revenge-killing it is a good option. Pretty much any physical holding a Scarf above Base 90 can outspeed a +1 Venomoth and easily 2KO if not OHKO it. Infernape, The Musketeers, Flygon, Staraptor, Haxorus, Houndoom, special hits will bring it down.Physical Raichu. Strong physical hits or SE special hits bring it to it's knees. Lastly, strong priority can bring it down before it has a chance to strike. Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, ExtremeSpeed, ShadowSneak can hit it's weak physical defence

Last edited:

takbir10

Banned
venomoth

venomoth is a decent pokemon really nice
a good nature is timid + speed - attack good because it doesnt need attack but a raise of speed is good
i have 2 good movesets
1.baton passer
sleep powder, quiver dance, baton pass, sludge bomb
stategy is simple use sleep powder
than use quiver dance to raise its stats 1 or 2 times
than use baton pass
if a pokemon is about 2 die just use sludge bomb
2.no name
bug buzz, sludge bomb. psychic, and quiver dance
not bad cant think about a good partner
dont like venomoth though :(

Metakun

Metakun
FocusMoth
-BugBuzz
-SludgeBomb
-QuiverDance
-Hidden Power(water)/Energiball
Tinted Lens
Obj:Focus Sash
Timid Nature (+Vel -Atk)
I think that having a base Sp.Atk and Speed of 90 it´s a good thing to improve both states, with Quiver Dance you can make it very quick and very effective at the same time with Sludge Bomb and Bug Buzz as STABs and another move to avoid Rock and Earth, combined with Tinted Lens Venomoth can be a very fearsome opponent.

Dark-Tyranitar

SAND VEIL HAX!!!
Hmm. Quite an interesting Pokemon as it has 2 useful abilities and Tinted Lens. Here they are.

Shield Dust: This ability blocks any added effects from attacks taken. This is very useful for moves like Body Slam or Poison Jab.
Tinted Lens: Eh, it could be worse. Tinted lens boosts power from "Not very Effective" moves. It's not very effective in the long run.
Wonder Skin: This ability makes status-changing moves less likely to hit. This is useful for annoying Watchogs with the Hypnosis-Confuse Ray combo. You might not see that combo around, but it's good to know you're protected.

Out of these 3, the top 2 would be Shield Dust and Wonder Skin. If you have access to Dream World, go with Wonder Skin. Otherwise go with Shield Dust.

So here's the set.

Spec Moth @ Choice Specs

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb
Toxic

COUNTERS

Bulk Fire Types, Fast Psychic types(NO REUNICLUS!), and anything else that can take Venomoth down. That's pretty much most things because this little guy is frail.

Partners
Bulky waters like Swampert for Fire, Rock, and Ground, Dark Types for Psychic(Bisharp is good) and everything else for everything else.

Overall, Venomoth is an awesome Pokemon if used correctly.

choice spec and quiver dance or toxic dont work cause choice items force only one kind of move.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Quiver-Pass Venomoth
Venomoth (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic

Soperman

The One and Only
What do I say about Venomoth? Not much. Ive never really seen anyone use one. Its abilities end up being very similar, one halving the chance of being statused (thats a word from now on) and the other preventing the effects of Attacks having a secondary effect. I prefer Shield Dust. Tinted Lens gives Venomoth at least normal-effective coverage to just about everything. Now on to the movesets.

Sweeper Moth
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
Ability: Any
EVs and Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
4 Def / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Venomoth has by far the worst offensive move-pool I have ever seen. Oh well. Two Quiver Dances and u become a powerful sweeper, and it makes u kind of bulky. Bug Buzz is STAB. Psychic is good for general coverage. Giga Drain helps against the likes of Golem and Rhyperior, and is mostly reliable healing. All three of its abilities are good, just depends on what you want Venomoth to do as an extra.

Here, have this baton. And some boosts.
- Baton Pass
- Quiver Dance
- Agility
- Tailwind / Silver Wind
Item: Leftovers
Abilty: Wonder Skin / Shield Dust
EVs and Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Atk)
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Baton passing set. Only thing left to explain is Silver Wind. Basically, it could potentially boost all of your stats. Evs for Defensive capabilities.

Toxicmoth
- Toxic Spikes
- Venoshock
- Morning Sun
- Energy Ball / Toxic
Abilities: Wonder Skin
EVs and Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
100 Hp / 152 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
Just wanted to make a set that involves taking advantage of Toxic Spikes and Venoshock. Morning Sun is for healing. Energy Ball for Ground types, Toxic in case of Rapid Spin or something like that.

Partners for Venomoth
Well, this guy is weak to Stealth Rock, so get that out of the way.Take out Steel types, cuz they wall Venomoth so badly. Fire types are a nuisance as well. Try to beat up Flying types if you can.

Double and Triple options
Ahaha ur kidding right?

Countering Venomoth
God thats easy. Steel types wall Moth badly. Rock types, too, just watch out for Energy Ball/Giga Drain. Flying types do well, too.

Venomoth has decent stats, but it has such a terrible movepool and typing. It isn't that good. Its abilities are the only thing that really make it worth using.

Jak2551

~SHARK FIGHTA~
Type: Bug/Poison
Ability: Shield Dust/Tinted Lens/Wonder Skin (Dream World)
Base Stats: 70 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 90 SAtk / 75 SDef / 90 Spd
Pros: Good Sp. Attack and Speed, learns Quiver Dance
Cons: Frail defenses, Stealth Rock weakness

Venemoth @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Bug Buzz
-Psychic/Hidden Power [Fire/Ground]
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance

Tinted Lens doubles the power of an attack if the opponent resists it. This
coupled with a couple of Quiver Dance boosts means that many of Venemoth's
potential counters wouldn't be able to handle it. Sleep Powder can shut down
an opponent and give you time to set up.

Venemoth @Focus Sash/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Bug Buzz
-Sleep Powder
-Quiver Dance
-Baton Pass

Put something to sleep and use Quiver Dance and then pass to something that
likes the stat boosts. Heatran is a great recipient, so are Lucario and
Magnezone.

Venemoth @Focus Sash