• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #35

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
What? What is this? Do you play competitively? This is not a good set for Ludicolo.
First of all, have you seen his Attack stat? Not that great. Also, 255 doesn't make a difference. 252 gives max Speed.
Why Thief? That's so pointless.
Why do you need to protect against confusion? It's so uncommon, and if you switch out (which you do a lot in competitive play) the confusion is healed.
No one uses Garbador or Parasect in OU. And glaceon is in RU for a reason. Electrode won't help you in any way. Neither will Magnezone.
Again, do you even play competitively?

First of all, I better on attacks and abilities than natures and EPs, which I remove any EP-related info. I already remove Thief. About the complaint about protect confusion, because Rain Dish I believe is the best of the three and I need a way to make up with max speed and a way to cover confusion. Also, I'd been playing long enough to set up pokemon with for the worst case scenario. I'm sorry for any troubles.

windsong

WEST SIDE
SWIFT SWIM AND DRIZZLE ARE NOT BANNED PEOPLE! SMOGON IS OFFICIAL! IF YOU AREN'T BATTLING ON SMOGON, YOU CAN USE IT!
[/caps]

Fixed. Smogon's tiering is the standard tiering and accepted by basically all of the good competitive battling community. They have the best resources for tiering, and have the most efficient system for doing so as well, it is worth mentioning.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Anti Rain Ludicolo
Ludicolo@Absorb Bulb
Modest/Timid - Swift Swim
252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4HP
-Energy Ball/Giga Drain
-Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Zen Headbutt
-HP Electric/Fighting

Using the Rain against the opponent. Ludicolo, while easily a spot on any rain team, can also be the one to counter it by taking sheer advantage of the weather and STAB typing. Absorb Bulb gives you the boost you need to take on opponents and the spread and Ludicolo's typing will make you unstoppable. Energy Ball is your strongest Grass STAB, with Giga Drain slightly behind in power but restores HP. Scald is a good Water STAB for switch ins like Kingdra and Ferrothorn, who are completely boned if they get burned. Surf is stronger and reliable but Hydro Pump packs more power. Ice Beam for Dragons and out of Rain battles. Zen Headbutt looks weird, but it's your only weapon against Toxicroak who counters Ludicolo and is likely to be on an opponents Rain team. HP Electric/Fighting is for tricky Water types who find their way into rain teams, like Mantine. HP Fighting is Ludicolo's only weapon against Ferrothorn although it can't do much in return.

I like having a Rain check all in one pokemon. Outside of Rain, Ludicolo is pretty fun to use, especially for specifically countering Rain. As Grass types eat Rain teams, Ludicolo is one of the notable contenders.

Jak2551

~SHARK FIGHTA~
Type: Water/Grass
Ability: Swift Swim/Rain Dish/Own Tempo (Dream World)
Base Stats: 80 HP / 70 Atk / 70 Def / 90 SAtk / 100 SDef / 70 Spd
Pros: High Sp. Defense, unique type combo
Cons: Limited special movepool

Ludicolo @Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast

The Swift Swim sweeper, which obviously needs Drizzle support to work. Get the
speed boost from the Rain and then hit the opponent with whatever is most
effective. Hydro Pump's power makes up for Ludicolo's less than stellar Sp.
Attack. But missing can be costly, so use Surf if you don't want to risks it.
For your Grass move, choose Giga Drain to heal recoil damage from Life Orb.
Ice Beam is for opponent Grass and Dragons. Focus Blast is needed to hit
Ferrothorn.

Ludicolo @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
Ability: Rain Dish
-Scald
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Toxic/Ice Beam

The more defensive set which also benefits from the Rain. Scald is used over
other Water moves for its high chance of Burn. Leech Seed is a key move here
and you can pair it with Substitute to stall and heal some more HP. You can
also use Toxic for additional damage. Ice Beam is used to hit Grass-types who
are immune to Leech Seed.

Presenting: Super Colo Bros! They're awesome cleaners, as they're great at Sweeping!

Physicolo
Ludicolo @ Muscle band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Nature Power (Aka Earthquake)
- Seed Bomb
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance // Ice Punch // Zen headbutt // Drain Punch.

A Physical sweeper. You set up with SD, then use two powerful Physical STABs along with the ever Useful Earthquake (via Nature Power) to inflict damage.

Alternatively, having another attack instead of Swords Dance could save your skin. Ice Punch, for example, for those Nasty Flying types that'll destroy you. Zen headbutt deals with Poison types that aren't hit by EQ (Crobat). Drain Punch has a lot of SE strengths.

Specolo
Ludicolo @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Surf/Hydro Pump/Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice beam
- Focus Blast

The same set, but special and without a power booster. However, Ludicolo's special attack stat is higher than its Attack stat anyway.

Ice and Fighting is a fantastic combination (excellent normal damage coverage with fantastic SE coverage), and Energy Ball is the strongest STAB Ludicolo has. The other possible STAB can be chosen from Hydro Pump, Scald or Surf.

Hydro Pump is the most powerful, but I personally hate moves with lower accuracy, so I don't use it. Surf, which I use, is useful ingame and is a powerful and reliable attack competitively. Scald is a little weaker but does provide a chance of burning the opponent, particularly useful for stopping flyers and Bugs from doing too much harm.

And the Forecast today...
Ludicolo @ Icy Rock // Heat Rock // Damp Rock *Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Calm Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hail // Sunny Day // Rain dance *Hail
- Focus Blast *Rain Dance
- Ice Beam // Synthesis // Surf *Sunny Day
- Giga Drain

This Ludicolo is very useful for teams trying to closely follow Smogon's word and needing a way to set up their weather. Ludicolo can learn three of the four weather inducing moves making him very useful indeed.
The set Ludicolo uses depends on what weather you need.

The Hail Set uses an Icy Rock, Hail, Focus Blast, Ice Beam and Giga Drain.

The Sun Set uses a Heat Rock, Sunny Day, Focus Blast, Synthesis and Giga Drain.

The Rain set uses a Damp Rock, Rain dance, Focus Blast, Surf and Giga Drain.

Alternatively, there is a set using all three weather inducing moves, useful if you want a team of various Pokemon that need weather conditions to become super strong. This set is denoted by the moves/items after the asterisk in the example.

Kraleck

Dream World Analysis...
Own Tempo...*sigh* you have little to offer a Pokemon like Ludicolo. Maybe in Doubles/Triples where you can go nuts with Swagger, Flatter, and Teeter Dance, but how often do those appear...

Own Tempo: Thematically sound, but effectively useless (like Gluttony Swalot).

Dream World Double/Triple Set - Tempo Tantrum
Own Tempo
Modest | Impish - EVs to primary attack stat, both defenses, and HP.
Modest Moves - Scald, Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Solarbeam, Ice Beam, Focus Blast
Impish Moves - Waterfall, Razor Leaf, Brick Break, Fake Out

Strategy - Buff 'colo with Flatter (Special) or Swagger (Physical) then prepare for an onslaught. Your opponent may have to risk focusing on the more credible threat (partner) or the more tangible one ('colo).

Unusual Moveset
Swift Swim
Bold, max Sp.Atk, split the rest between Defense and HP as you see fit
Scald, Solarbeam, Focus Blast, Ice Beam
Wise Glasses/Leftovers/Metronome/Power Herb

Strategy: Solarbeam becomes a (somewhat) usable Move in 'colo's webbed hands. Who expects 'colo to back a Drought-tales up? Thunder won't help with neutral coverage if it can't hit in Sun, and 'colo's Swift Swim stops opponents from simply plopping a Drizzle-toed in front of you. Plays lots of head games if used right...

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
I love how there's so many stupid sets!

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/ludicolo

This is the standard. Use SubSeed+Rain Dish and Lefties. Infinite Subs is Ludicolo's Niche, with SD Phys working like Crobat Special, only with a different feel. And then there's the offensive sets were people were getting too much of the awesome dancing this cactus duck was doing.

Oh, yeah.

Bandicolo@Choice Band
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Waterfall
Seed Bomb
Return
Ice Punch/Nature Power(Aka EQ)/Brick Break

Banded Ludicolo? You must be insane! Well, I'm not. Waterfall and Seed Bomb are STAB. Return gets nearly perfect coverage with Waterfall. Ice Punch for further coverage. Nature Power=EQ, which is always useful, but slightly less so when Choiced. Brick Break for laying the smackdown on Ferrothorn (though it still does practically nothing)

EnduFlailer@Salac Berry
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/
Endure
Flail
Brick Break
Thief

Yes, I mad bro. Endure and Flail because its EnduFlail, Brick Break to handle Rocks and Steels, and Thief handles Ghosts andcan give it some random item.

Zachmac

EnduFlailer@Salac Berry
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/
Swift Swim
Substitute
Flail
WaterFall
Swords Dance

Yes, I mad bro. Endure and Flail because its EnduFlail, Brick Break to handle Rocks and Steels, and Thief handles Ghosts andcan give it some random item.
Waterfall is stab that hurts Rocks well, but means it's walled by ferrothorn, so you better have something to hit it. Swords dance gives you attack power, which you'll probably need. Waterfall will also do more damage to ghost then theif would. Swift swim helps handle rain teams, and can boost speed when teammed up with politoed on something other then smogon.
Bandicolo@Choice Band/life orb/Leftovers
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Waterfall
Seed Bomb
Return/Ice Punch
Ice Punch/Nature Power(Aka EQ)/Brick Break/Swords dance

Banded Ludicolo? You must be insane! Well, I'm not. Waterfall and Seed Bomb are STAB. Return gets nearly perfect coverage with Waterfall. Ice Punch for further coverage. Nature Power=EQ, which is always useful, but slightly less so when Choiced. Brick Break for laying the smackdown on Ferrothorn (though it still does practically nothing)
Swords dance if you are using one of the second two items. Water, Grass, and Ice have nearly perfect coverage, put return is more powerful then ice punch.

Last edited:

NMx13

Ludicolo

SpA BulkyColo
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Leech Seed/Giga Drain
-Ice Beam/Protect
-Substitude/Protect
item: Life Orb/Leftovers
ability: Rain Dish
nature: Modest
evs: 252 Hp/ 4 Def/ 252 SpA

Note: Swift Swim + Drizzle = banned (by smogon)

Waterlover711

<=my doggy(prof.pic)
regenerator ludicolo (or) ludicolo sweep(sounds like a dance move....)

ability- rain dish

held item- leftovers

moves- rain dance, hydro pump(maybe surf), giga drain(maybe ice beam), uproar(maybe hyperbeam)

stats- hp. 310 at. 230 def. 230 s.at. 255 s.def. 275 spd. 230

;272;

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
^Ignore him, no offence or anything. Talk to Epic_Eevee about that set thar.

The Intersect

Moveset Master
YAY my favorite pokemon!!!!

my favorite set just makes you cry as he dances over your poor dying pokes
Livin' the Vida Colo
Ability:Rain Dish
Item: Leftovers
nature: Bold ev's: 252 defence 252 sp def 6 hp
Moveset:
Hydro pump/Surf/Giga Drain
Leech seed
Protect
Substitute

I use hydro pump but i have the option of surf there if you prefer accuracy over power giga drain is there for grass stab option and yet more healing protect stalls for a turn whilst you heal and if your in the rain and your opponent are seeded you get a fair amount to use for subs and leech seed is there to add sub seed effect ludicolo is possibly the best sub seeder around especially in the rain.

ultimatedarkrai

Forbidden Empire!
AWWW! I COME ON THE POTW FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WHILE AND I GET LUDICOLO?!?
*buries computer in ground and sets triggered explosives on it and re-buries then sets off* yea, so this isnt spam i say that i dont actually think ludicolo is bad, i just hate it. It can also be a real pain in rain.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
YAY my favorite pokemon!!!!
Livin' the Vida Colo
Ability:Rain Dish
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold ev's: 252 defence 252 sp def 6 hp
Moveset:
Hydro pump/Surf/Giga Drain
Leech seed
Protect
Substitute

Congratulations The Intersect! You've just been quoted for Livin' La Vida Colo!

Plus it's the standard more or less, (They give an option for Toxic over Protect), so this here's plain awesome.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
Rain Drain
Ludicolo@Leftovers
Modest, 252 Spa/252 Spe/4 HP
Rain Dish
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam

A unique set. Ludicolo can heal pretty good with this set. It is best to Baton Pass a Mean Look to him, though. Leech Seed will drain the foe of health, healing yourself. Giga Drain will heal even more, adding the fact that you have Rain Dish and Leftovers healing you as well. Hydro Pump and Ice Beam will be used to destroy foes who cannot be affected by Leach Seed/Giga Drain well(Fire, Flying, Bug, and Grass)

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
^The Ludicolo there would probably be served better on some team without Rain and it should have Swift Swim; it would make it a Rain check. Kind of missing out on it's other capabilities though :/

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I'm going straight to the sets

Stall in the Rain
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 124 defense and sp defense, 8 sp attack
@: Leftovers

Leech Seed
Substitute
Scald/Toxic
Whirlpool

Whirlpool is a trapping move, so the Status/Seed combo will do the job.

Attack in the Rain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 sp attack and HP, 4 speed
@: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Surf
Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Ice Beam
Focus Blast

Swift Swim will get this thing's speed high, so I see no reason to really invest in speed EVs.

Attack in the Rain Pt. 2
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 attack and HP, 4 speed
@: Life Orb

Swords Dance
Waterfall
Ice Punch/Return/Seed Bomb/Thunderpunch
Seed Bomb/Return/Seed Bomb/Thunderpunch

Surprise! Physical attacking! Thunderpunch can catch certain waters that Seed Bomb can't.

Surprise Mix set
Nature: Serious or its similar ones
Ability: Any
EVs: 252 attack and sp attack, 4 speed
@: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Solarbeam
Fire Punch
Swords Dance/Ice Beam/Synthesis/Hydro Pump/Ice Punch
Swords Dance/Ice Beam/Synthesis/Hydro Pump/Ice Punch

That's right, a Ludicolo for the sun team. That surprise factor is absolutely HUGE!! While one of your STABs is pretty much dead, another rises to the occasion. Access to Solarbeam, Synthesis, and Fire Punch provide sun tools. Hydro Pump is an option if the rain takes over the sun.

There you go.

zerozoner

A physical attacker variation for Ludicolo.

(Ludicolo) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power
- Ice Punch
- Seed Bomb

Has good bulk for survive ability and allow you to use sword dance a few times. Sword dance is to help Ludicolo's pathetic attack state become acceptable. Nature Power apparently becomes Earthquake in a linked battle instead of Tri-attack which would be preferred on many of Ludicolos offensive sets. Ice/Ground combo has great coverage and Seed Bomb is to wreck havoc on water types.

The Intersect

Moveset Master
Congratulations The Intersect! You've just been quoted for Livin' La Vida Colo!

Plus it's the standard more or less, (They give an option for Toxic over Protect), so this here's plain awesome.

HAHA my ludicolo is actually nicknamed Vida Loca :)

Status
Not open for further replies.