• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arch Villians Cat

Adamant
Life Orb
252 attack/ 252 speed/ 1hp

Fake Out
Sucker Punch
U-Turn
Taunt

Basically its a revenge killer
Send it in inbetween fights get a kill and u-turn out
taunt and u-turn if neccesary

Normally I don't like switch fests but this hit and switch strategy is all I can see for him

takbir10

Banned
The dark cat
Adamant @ red card
-Sucker punch
-Fake out
-Hyper Beam
-U turn
Purugly is.... well....... not half bad but still i bet at least some people use it. Fake out is really good when dealing with fast bugs and then you can use sucker punch and/or hyper beam to finish the job. It should have been a bulky pokemon but oh well its kinda useful
I dont know why but i feel like it resembles with Zoroark now that i think about it

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Someone really needs to fix that ****** random number generator. Purugly's only real niche in doubles is the Swagger/Own Tempo combo, and his defenses are so frail that it isn't guaranteed to work. Now that I think about it, though, can't he or she or whatever gender it is (it's hard to tell with this pokemon) learn Sucker Punch.
So because it picks one Pokémon which may not be that good, it requires "fixing"?

I like it when a Pokémon like this is picked, I think it allows people to be more imaginative with sets

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
This big fat cat gets a lot of moves, however with so frail defences it should sweep, and despite it getting loads of moves, it misses strong moves. It doesn't get Stone Edge, it doesn't get Earthquake, it doesn't get Double Edge, it doesn't get Superpower or Focus Punch, and it's stats are really low.

Anyway, it outruns Raticate which makes it a fast Super Fang user.

Purugly @ Focus Sash
Jolly nature
252 speed, 252 attack
-Super Fang
-Flail / Return
-Knock Off / Return
-Sucker Punch

not really sure if it can actually do anything well. Anyway, come in on some wall that can't really attack (like Umbreon, Shuckle, Skarmory, or Deoxys defence), and halve the HP of the target with Super Fang. After that, your foe has most likely switched to something that can actually attack. Use super fang again, and let the sash take the hit. After that, you can flail to finish off the target. Return is there for more consistent STAB, Knock Off is support, and Sucker Punch is just to have something to threaten Ghosts with.

At least this thing has a large enough movepool to allow some variation, it would fail badly if we got something with no movepool like Wobbuffet or even worse, Unown.

Last edited:

PhilosophicalPsychologica

ehehehe ironically I was just considering Purugly for a team...

I suppose you can check out Smogon's Gen 4 page for Purugly's "basic" sets. A set playing it defensively, a set using Choice. So you see, nothing amazing.

I'll just point out Purugly's strong points. U-turn, Taunt, Knock Off, Super Fang, and Hypnosis with rather awesome Speed. The attack is...ok. Decent enough factoring in the good coverage Normal gets, so enough to be 2HKO on Return neutral hits, usually. That Speed and STAB Retaliate is good, but Ampibom is stronger and faster. Purugly can run such a set, though.

I suppose Fake Out + Last Resort set?

It's other niche area, despite not having much bulk, it does have Thick Fat. Of course, Snorlax does too, but Purugly has...Speed?

And now for those unique sets:

Purugly @ Salac Berry
Defiant
Jolly
max attack and speed

Flail
Dig
Hone Claws
Substitute/Endure

Defiant will save you from Intimidates, I suppose. Obviously, all priority users must be exterminated, and, in higher tiers, Ferrothorn as well. The only problem is that Cinccino is more powerful and can run Flail with better auxiliary moves.

Purugly @ Leftovers
Thick Fat
Jolly
max HP and Speed

Assist
Hypnosis
Super Fang
any of the aforementioned auxiliary moves

This is the set I almost considered for my team. Set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, put someone to Sleep, use Assist with a team full of Roars and Whirlwinds. Factoring in Purugly's Speed, these will be very fast Roars and Whirlwinds.
I eventually passed Purugly to use Assist Liepard, but this isn't a bad set, I believe.

Pre-Evo Corner
Just like Ambipom is to Purugly, Glameow is largely outclassed by Aipom.

Nijaskills

Purugly's fast and learns hypnosis and U-turn, that's really it's best niche. But that's outclasses by Persian. Combine that with Super Fang, to hit defensive mon's hard, Sucker Punch or Shadow Claw to hit Ghosts, and it could potentially be viable.

svenosman

I'll judge you...
Purugly, you ugly fat cat with your remarable high speed who defeated me time after time in the Sinnoh region under the command of Juno or Mars or someone else who has the same name as a planet.

Anyway, this overweight cat-like hump of fat is fast. Pretty fast. Fast enough to outrun some OU and UO pokemon. And with Fake Out and Sucker Punch, this thing will be even faster. Not that it can use them properly, but they're worth mentioning. Purugly is like a Granbull or a Stoutland: it knows moves you didn't expect it to know, but it just isn't realy good at using them.

For so far my opinion about this black 'n white version of Garfield.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Purugly is what I like to call a “spammer”. It’s not going to do much in the way of raw power, but it can manage to make your opponent want to pull their hair out (like Serene Grace Dunsparce). Quite honestly, if you’re trying to use Purugly as a brute attacker, you’re using it for the wrong reasons. It has excellent Speed, but won’t be hitting much with its meh base 82 Attack stat, nor will it be surviving for very long in battle with its frail defenses. However, this chubby cat has access to some very interesting disruptive moves, and with base 112 Speed, it can pull it off even in the OU environment before landing face-first into the dirt by an opponent’s move.

Like I said, Purugly is a “spammer”; it’s designed to trip a Pokémon by its heels, but nothing else. If you time it just right, you can really mess up a crucial fighter to your opponent’s team.

Abilities:
Thick Fat – halves fire and ice damage done to Purugly. I guess it’s a good ability... But Purugly isn’t expected to survive long anyways. Plus, based on the strategy I’ve come up with, you really want the Focus Sash to go into effect, which is only possible by having full health.
Own Tempo – prevents Purugly from becoming confused. The chances of an opponent wasting its time inflicting status on Purugly, especially confusion, are most likely very slim
Defiant (Dream World) – If any of Purugly’s stats are lowered, its Attack is raised two stages. This might be helpful if you keep switching Purugly around and happen to run into an Intimidator. It’ll add a little more punch to its attacks.

;432;
The “Spammer”
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)

-Super Fang / Flail
- Fake Out
- U-Turn
- Flail / Sucker Punch

Well, if Purugly’s so weak in Attack, why not give it the magical Super Fang that instantly halves all opponents’ HP? As you enter battle, you can use Fake Out to mess with the opponent. U-Turn lets Purugly scout and escape from “unworthy victims”. When your health is unavoidably chopped down, the Focus Sash will keep you just barely alive, maxing out Flail’s power and allowing you to do some serious damage. However, if you have Super Fang already in your roster and don’t want to be blocked by Ghost types, Sucker Punch gives super-effective damage and priority.

Other Options:
Knock Off will let you take away the opponent’s item and potentially mess them up.
Taunt to mess up bulky Pokémon
Torment to prevent the opponent from using the same attack over and over.

Doubles and Triples:
Purugly probably shouldn’t be placed in Double and Triple battles. It’s too easy a target to get picked clean by your opponents. Plus, the fact its attacks are practically all single-targets doesn’t make it very appealing to use in multiples anyways.

Attack Index:
- Fake Out – Lvl. 1, Glameow / Purugly
- Flail - Egg
- Knock Off – PtHGSS tutor, Glameow / Purugly
- Sucker Punch – PtHGSS tutor, Glameow / Purugly
- Super Fang – Lvl. 41, Glameow only
- Taunt – TM 12, Glameow / Purugly
- Torment – TM 41, Glameow / Purugly
- U-Turn – TM 89, Glameow / Purugly

10speed12

Nature:Adamant
Evs:252 atk, 252 speed, 252 HP
Item:life orb/Expert belt
Moves:Hone Claws
Sucker Punch
Shadow Claw
Body Slam

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
The Gimmick Set:

Purugly @ Wide Lens
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

-Hypnosis
-Hone Claws
-Sucker Punch
-Wake-Up Slap

You use the free turn from the opponent falling asleep to stat-up, and then sweep with perfect coverage. It's not perfect, but it can be decent in RU.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Purugly @ Muscle Band
Adamant, Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Fake Out
- U-Turn
- Sucker Punch
- Last Resort

Something about Physical Sweep that I've thought about.
Basically it plays Ambipom's role, Fake Out for pretty damage at the first turn, U-Turn for scouting, Sucker Punch for Priority and to hit Ghosts, and Last Resort as strong STAB.
Muscle Band to increase damage a bit, and Thick Fat 'cause Defiant is useless on this guy, at least it reduces Fire and Ice-type attack's damage.

knuclear200x

Didn't some guy win with a Purugly during some tournament, then he went on saying he wished they made an evolution by giving it wings? I think i saw it on Beckett or something.

LegendoftheSkies

Awesome Guy
Purugly has never been done in the Pokémon of the Week here at Serebii and has so many capabilities.

1276690981470.gif

Though you can at least do some gimmicky/lulz **** with it if it's your favorite Pokemon for some reason (I can't understand why it would be though).

Here's a joke set I thought of:

LOL
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Take your pick, you'll only be around for one turn.
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+ Spd, - Sp. Atk)

- Assist
-
-
-

The idea is to pack 5 of these on your team and have the last be any Pokemon you like so long as it only knows Explosion. With 112 base speed your Explosion will be a very fast Explosion. A very fast STAB Explosion. It would've been more fun in the last generation before they nerfed Explosion, but it's still pretty hilarious to have an army of exploding cats. I initially wanted to make a team like this and pull a prank on a friend of mine by doing the Pokewalker thing with him so that my joke team would end up in his game's Trainer House. Never got around to it though.

It's worth noting that Persian can also pull this off, as can any other normal type that can learn assist. Speed is important though to make sure you get your Explosion off before the opponent can hit you. In that sense Persian might be better considering it has 115 base speed and is also far less butt ugly incidentally. Purugly has a higher base Attack than Persian does though, so whatever floats your boat.

gpt11

I love how people are commenting how bad it is... yet not contributing anything if you dont like it dont comment simple...

Set: Uglead
EV's: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 SPD
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant (Sucker Punch), Jolly (Shadow Claw)
Ability: Own Temo/ Thick Fat - both good

Fake Out (Priority + Stab + Flinch)
U-turn (Scouting + Resets Fake Out)
Taunt (Ruins anything not using an attacking move and means ghosts have to attack works well with sucker punch)
Sucker Punch/Shadow Claw(Both good choices and both hit ghosts hard depends on whether you want priority or More PP if you think you will be staying around longer)

Sadley all Purugly is going to be hitting are Psychic, Ghost, Dark and Grass types with this set :( which is a shame because it looks so cool but other pokemon like Ambipom do this better and with better moves while hitting harder :(

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Mad Cat
Purugly @ Life Orb
Thick Fat
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Hone Claws
- Return / Body Slam
- Iron Tail
- Sucker Punch

Cookie to anybody who gets the reference. Anyway, an attempt to do a setup sweep with Purugly... maybe not that amazing with its sub-par bulk, but Thick Fat essentially gives it two resistances, so that might help a little. Hone Claws is the best boosting move Purugly has access to. Return is basic STAB, but Body Slam is there for paralysis. Purugly has enough speed that it probably won't benefit from the speed drop, but there's also a chance of full paralysis and it can support team members. Iron Tail doesn't get STAB, but it's powerful and benefits from Hone Claws's accuracy boost. Sucker Punch is for priority that hits ghosts hard.

[IMG200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/80/432Purugly.png[/IMG200]​

OVERVIEW

Frankly, Purugly sucks. Not only does its name give insight on its design, it also has a major weakness to priority. Thankfully, it is faster than speedy Pokemon such as Gengar and Latios, and has Sucker Punch for Starmies/Alakazams/etc. He could be a fair anti-lead due to having the Taunt/Sucker Punch strategy for getting quick hits on a fair few opponents. Here are some sets it can run.

Purugly @ Focus Sash
Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
104 HP/160 Atk/244 Spe
Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Hypnosis/Taunt
U-Turn

An anti-leader, this is about the best way to run Purugly. Fake Out gives some free damage. Sucker Punch is priority against those little nuisances faster than it. Hypnosis completely incapacitates an opponent, however Taunt goes perfectly with Sucker Punch. U-Turn allows you to get the heck out if something bad happens.

Purugly @ Choice Band
Thick Fat
Adamant/Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Return
Wake-Up-Slap/Bulldoze
Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
U-Turn

A different approach at Purugly, this set is used as a late-game sweeper. Return is a deadly STAB attack. Wake-Up-Slap is preferred as it is the strongest Fighting attack this guy has, but Bulldoze can be used if you want priority. Shadow Claw is used with Wake-Up-Slap to handle Ghosts and Psychics, though Sucker Punch is to be used with Bulldoze as Wake-Up-Slap and Sucker Punch are illegal together. U-turn for magneficent escapades.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ my sister begged me to use the weather support set I suggested, and it did decent. In PO's WIFI NU!!!! No sane person would use this fugly cat in OU. Hell who bar my sister would use it anywhere?

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
Purugly, huh. It's better than other stuff, sort of.

Cat strike
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 speed and HP, 4 attack
@: Normal Gem/Silk Scarf/Leftovers

Fake Out
Sucker Punch
Super Fang
Hypnosis

Disrupt and strike. That is the nature of cats anyway.

Cat Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
@: Choice Band

Return
Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
U-Turn
Bulldoze/Sucker Punch/Wake-Up Slap/Aerial Ace

Let Intimidate happen, Purugly is crying for it. Then let loose.

That's all I got for you. When it comes to stuff with defiant as an ability, Braviary, Primeape, and Bisharp do the job much better. As for roles, use Persian if you are playing in the RU tier. In UU, use Ambipom. In OU, go back to Pokemon school because you are completely crazy.

muatt 88

Pyro-Maniac!
hi fat and ugly

this is my first time doing this so, bear with me....

Purugly @ Focus Band
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly (+Speed, -SAtk)
- Body Slam/Slash/Aerial Ace
- Hone Claws
- Hypnosis
- Dream eater

Body Slam, Slash and Aerial Ace are there for offense and stab. hypnosis for defense and dream eater for stab and healing.hone claws raises attack and accuracy for hypnosis and the stab attacks.

hope this helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.