• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #39

Status
Not open for further replies.

menametlg

Abilities:
Thick Fat: Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage. Kinda useless. Drop it out.
Own Tempo: The Pokémon cannot be Confused while having this ability. Also useless except when dealing with Rotom

Hidden Ability:
Defiant: Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered. Good ability. Stick with this.

Set:

LEAD
@Life orb
Ability: Defiant
Nature: Jolly (252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP)

Moves:
-Sucker Punch
-U Turn/Shadow Claw
-Return
-Taunt/Hone Claw

This is the best set of Purugly I ever known, as Purugly's movepool sucks. Sucker Punch is a priority move and also the strongest one. U-turn is a good move and help you escape from Breloom and Bisharp ,who will go against you, that will also give them a lot of damages. It can also use against Chandelure and Gengar, who are two of your best threat. If you hate escaping and will do anything to win, Shadow claw is there. Base Power of 70 and also a high critical hit ration. Return is the best STAB move for this set. Taunt ruins Paralyzer while Hone claw is for boost only but kinda risky.

Sharpen Your Claw
@Life Orb/Left-overs
Nature: Jolly/Adamant (4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd)
Moves:
-Hone Claw
-Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
-Retaliate/Return/Body Slam/Slash
-Hypnosis/Captivate/Torment/Taunt/Snatch/Substitute

Ow... damn this ugly cat. It gives me a lot of time to think which move is to choose. Hone claw is basically your first move. It increases you Attack and ,at the mean time, your Accuracy. Shadow Claw is a high-critical hit ration move and a good coverage while Sucker Punch is a priority move.

You have a lot of STAB Move option. Retaliate doubles the power once the previous pokemon dies. Otherwise drop it off. Return is your strongest STAB move, at 102. Body Slam is also a good coverage and can also paralyze the opponent. Slash is a normal-type Shadow Claw.

For the last set, you also have a lot of options. Hypnosis is a force sleep, and thanks to Hone Claw, its more easier to be succesful. Captivate lowers the opponent's attack by 2. Torment is a force struggle. Not good move ut no choice. Taunt is a force attack. Snatch is a stealing move. Just make sure to use it right. Substitute is there for boosting.

Wake up, you fool!
@Life Orb
ability: Defiant
Nature: Adamant (252 spd/ 252 atk/ 4 hp)
Moves:
-Hone claw
-Hypnosis
-Wake-up slap
-Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch/Return

Not very effective set but can be useful when you do it right. Hone Claw increases your attack and your accuracy. Hypnosis is a force sleep and become more effective, thanks to the boost. Wake-up Slap is useful when the opponent is asleep. It doubles the power. The last slot is your choice. You know the effect of it and no need to explain.

CrobatOwns

Back from the dead!
432.png

Abilities:
Thick Fat: Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage. Not very good, although in my eyes, at least better than Own Tempo. Sadly, my set requires it, or Own Tempo.
Own Tempo: The Pokémon cannot be Confused while having this ability. Useless, but using Thick Fat could prevent you from getting to 1 HP with Endure in my set.
Hidden Ability:
Defiant: Attack is raised by two stages when the Pokémon has its stats lowered. Best ability here, but unusable with Endure.

F(l)ail
@ Muscle band (Liechi Berry when released)
ability: Thick Fat / Own Tempo
Nature: Adamant (4 HP/252 Atk/ 252 Spe)
Moves:
~Flail
~Endure
~Sucker Punch
~Shadow Claw/Quick Attack/Wake-Up-Slap

With Purugly's bad defenses, it nearly begs for a Flail set. Use endure to get down to 1 HP, and spam Flail as much as you can. Sucker Punch is for user vs. Ghost types, and Ghosts who think they can set up can be hit by a Shadow Claw. Quick attack can work as just another priority filler that doesn't require the use of an attack, and so foes cannot set up. I figured I would give Wake Up Slap a mention, but it is not very useful overall unless you have a sleeper on your team.

Another option is using a similar set but with a focus sash... pretty much only to use Defiant...

The only other set I could see on Purugly is a hone claws set, but honestly? Durant among others are much better Hone Claws users in RU. Besides, many other people brought them up.

Overall comments: Purugly is pretty bad, it better never leave the RU environment. A few small tricks, but that is it. With a good speed, you may think it would be better, but it's frail defenses don't do any favors. And a barely usable, and I mean barely usable 82 Atk / 64 SpAtk is killer. Don't use this pokemon :D

Other note: I hope this was original :) I didn't read many of the posts here so I don't know but figured I would post!

dualinfernape77

moveset

as mutch as I hate this pokemon, I tought of a moveset.
Sassy catty
Moves:
arial ace
rest
swagger
shadow claw
Held item
Chesto berry
ability
own tempo
arial ace is for taking out fighting tipes,rest is for restoring hp,swagger is for confusing, and sucker punch is for ghost types

Vandslaux

as mutch as I hate this pokemon, I tought of a moveset.
Sassy catty
Moves:
arial ace
rest
swagger
shadow claw
Held item
Chesto berry
ability
own tempo
arial ace is for taking out fighting tipes,rest is for restoring hp,swagger is for confusing, and sucker punch is for ghost types

Aerial Ace won't do crap to Fighting types not named Breloom or Heracross. Also, no STAB? and Rest? Her defenses are awful. And why would you use a Sassy nature on Purugly?

;432; Purugly... essencially a bad copy of persian. Yes, a bad copy of PERSIAN. Well, If someone really wants to use this guy, well, I guess he's quite brave...
Set Name: Ugly Banded Cat
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Thick fat/Defiant
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-U-turn
-Retaliate/Return
-Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch
-Wake-up-slap/Bulldoze/Hypnosis
Pretty standard normal type choice bander. U-turn is a very good move on a choice bander. Retaliate is a crazy powerful revenge move, but Return is better for sweeping (you won't sweep much with this thing, though). Note that a combination of a boosted and an unboosted Retaliate has 210 BP, while a combination of two returns has 204 BP. Shadow Claw is for the ghosts. Sucker Punch has the same coverage, 10 BP more and priority, but doesn't hit opponents on the switch and is set-up bate when combined with Choice Band. Wake-up-slap and Bulldoze are moves to hit steel and rock types, but are VERY WEAK. Hypnosis is good even with Choice Band with that 112 base Speed and new sleep mechanics. Standard EV spread and nature. Speaking about the ability, I would pick Thick Fat rather than Defiant, as having two more resistances is generally better than gaining +1 atk from Intimidate for a hit and run pokemon.
Other Options
Well, not much. Iron Tail is usable and dents rock types a lot. It can be used on the 4rd and even on the third, as it hits ghosts neutrally (barring the OU Chandelure and Jellicent). It's illegal with wake-up-slap, so pick Bulldoze/Hypnosis. You can use Headbutt to, as it's stabbed and 30% chance of flinching with 112 base speed is nice.
Partners
Standard stuff to support an offensive normal type attacker. Something to get rid of ghost, rock and steel types. A Pursuit user can trap and kill ghosts. Houndoom is particulary good as it can also kill steel types with its powerful STAB attacks. Magnezone/Magneton can trap and kill steel types, while rock types are easier to take out, as they have 5 weaknesses. Remember that the partners previously mentioned share a Fighting weakness with Purugly, so be careful when you're building your team.
Counters
Purugly doesn't hit that hard, so pick your standard phisical wall or a bulky Rock/Steel/Ghost type and it won't be doing much.

Set Name: Lead
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
-Fake out/Taunt/Hypnosis
-Super Fang
-U-turn
-Hypnosis/Sucker Punch
Less useful than in gen 4, but a lead set is doable. Fake Out breaks sashes and is free damage. Super Fang halves your opponent's HP: awesome. U-turn does damage and keeps your sash intact. Hypnosis is great with 112 base speed. Sucker Punch is for free double priority and hits ghosts that resist all your other moves. Taunt can replace Fake Out as it prevents entry hazards and works well with Sucker Punch too.
Focus Sash garants you to survive at least one hit. Obvious EV spread. Jolly because speed is essential. Defiant because Thick Fat is a bit pointless with a sash.
Other Options
Persian.
Partners
A lead set doesn't need much support usually. I guess Pursuit support because Super Fang is your best move and ghosts laugh at it.
Counters
Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave ruin you. Ghosts own you. Lead Aerodactyl fulfills his mission of setting up Stealth Rocks, breaks your sash and damages you a lot before you can kill it (a combination of Fake Out, Super Fang and Sucker Punch does a maximum 290 damage while he has 302 HP).

Set Name: Give me an assist!
Item: Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Thick fat/Defiant
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
-Assist
-Hypnosis
-Super Fang
-Sucker Punch
If you're crazy enough to use Assist, well this is good for you. The other three moves should make you not totally useless.
Other Options
Pick a serious set.
Partners
This is the key of the set. So, SMEARGLE. A Smeargle knowing moves like Sacred Fire, Bolt Strike, Spore, Dark Void, V-Create, Head Smash, Psystike (is there something cooler than a Purugly that uses Psystrike?), Transform (LOL)... in this way you will have two pokemon completely useless, but at least they are pro!
Counters
From Magikarp upwards.

Kraleck

purugly is good for one thing only:

indirect attacking using its speed

which is obviously outclassed by persian

You forgot two other talents - Mind Games and Move-Immunity Bait:
-Who expects someone to use Purugly?
-Will they switch to a Ghost?

Yes, Persian can do those, but it also has better offense, making it less likely to flee, increasing predictability. Purugly gets less predictable combos, like Hone Claws + Hypnosis and Hypnosis + Wake-Up Slap, and that gives you some slightly-better options.

Persian can be immediately identified as an attacker - Purugly cannot. This allows you to punish switches and staying when the opposite should've been done.

Hats off to you if you can pull this nasty little Betty off:
"Ease Off, Then Hit the Gas"
Adamant - Physical Sweeper EVs
Defiant
Salac Berry/
Hone Claws, Hypnosis, Wake-Up Slap (Egg), Last Resort (Egg)

The trick is to KO all Ghost Type, Sleep-immune, and faster Pokemon before unleashing this not-so-pretty kitty. Hone up, then put the opponent to sleep. If they switch or stay, free hit with Wake-Up Slap. If they cannot KO you after WUS, you have the perfect opportunity to Last Resort-Sweep.

If you let this Garfield-reject out too early, you've tipped your hand. Too late and you've wasted its potential.

Purugly's Other Options
-Bulldoze allows you to keep your Speed superior and to check (though not KO) Ferrothorn, who otherwise walls you solidly (dealing damage if you use U-Turn, too).
-Snatch allows you to screw with known Baton Passers and Pokemon trying to set up when they see the "non-threatening" Purugly.
-Fury Swipes. Hear me out - Hone Claws boosts your 80% accuracy and 18 Base Power to allow for proper Substitute piercing. I like this for certain situations...
-Iron Tail may lock you out of Defiant, but those who want Iron Tail don't necessarily need Defiant.

Gameking64

ShroudedintheForest
Purugly?Why not something like Fearow?!?

I ran this atroucity in Platinum with a nu/uu lead set for the lulz.It was Adamant with FakeOut,Slash,ShadowClaw,and Assist.It held that item that evolved Sneasel (dont remember) for Crit and the Assist was for when it goes in a team that has FlareBlitz/CloseCombat/Earthquake for them steel types...

Status
Not open for further replies.