• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitephoenix

Machamp

machamp/guts/adamant(item:flame orb)

fire punch
Ice Punch
facade/thunderpunch
close combat

single battle

facade gives you a reliable 140 power move plus guts boost
close combat for stab
fire punch for steel(forretres,skarmory,scizor)
ice for dragons

attack and speed EVs

double

machamp/no guard/ adamant(choice band)

dynamic punch(add pp max)
stone edge
toxic
bullet fist

partner: Azelf/levitate/mild(life orb)

fire blast
thunder
iron tail
explosion

this combination is resisted by none

someone

how about using fling on guts set? throwing around a 100% accurate burn can always be a nasty surprise, and maybe the set might find useful drain punch (since now it does have 75 base power) to mitigate burn or entry hazard damage and keep your defence stat intact.

so something like:

facade
drain punch/close combat
fling
stone edge/payback/ice punch

thunder punch have only a minimal edge over facade against a thunder weak opponent, so i don't think it's worth using on this set.

windsong

WEST SIDE
I'd just like to say that it's not even worth it mentioning guts sets, as they're basically 100% outclassed by Roobushin.

Zachmac

[SET]
name: SuperChamp
move 1: Focus Blast
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Elec
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 6 Def / 252HP

Are you tired of Blissey walling your team and you don't want to resort to the usual Machamp set to handle it? Well look no further, this set is so good it's called SuperChamp. Dealing a hefty 44.5% - 52.4% to standard Blissey with one focus blast, meaning it can 2HKO if you get some nice damage rolls, and the look on your opponent's face when you 2HKO their Blissey with a Focus Blast from this dog is priceless. CurseTar can't even handle the girth of a Focus Blast from this beast, dealing a nice 101% - 119.8%, which is an OHKO! Focus Blast also OHKO's standard CBScizor with spikes (71.7% - 85.1%), but in case you don't have those up Fire Blast does a nice 192.4% - 227.4%, meaning it can OHKO two Scizors at the same time with SR damage! People normally try to use Gyarados to Intimidate Machamp, but this one's special and it doesn't mind Intimidate and OHKO's BulkyDD Gyarados with HP Elec after SR (86.5% - 102.7%)! Swampert can't even handle two Focus Blasts from him 52.4% - 62%! Hyper Beam rounds out the set so Dragonite and Gliscor don't wall you, doing 59.1% - 69.7% and 59.1% - 69.7% respectively to the most common set of each, MixNite and BritScor.
[SET COMMENTS]
tuff
I've seen this before.....I even remember the picture...
I'd just like to say that it's not even worth it mentioning guts sets, as they're basically 100% outclassed by Roobushin.
We all know that, but they still work. This is if you want to use machamp instead. It's no fun if you don't get to use pokemon you don't like. I would use a machamp instead because it's for appealing to me, even though it has 4 arms....

Lucario0708

Destiny Combining...
this is what I use, not sure if many will like it though

Machamp (Jolly) @Life orb
No Guard
eh, not to big on EVs, made need some help on this one
ice punch / fire punch / thunder punch (trying to figure out which gets better coverage)
stone edge
close combat / cross chop
bulk up (?)

stone edge takes care of flyers, close combat / cross chop for STAB

Ok, no more spam about Specs Machamp.

I know these are really boring Pokemon to rate buy try to keep it on topic. I promise we'll do more interesting pokes soon.

windsong

WEST SIDE
It's no fun if you don't get to use pokemon you don't like. I would use a machamp instead because it's for appealing to me, even though it has 4 arms....

Ok, let me put it this way. This is competitive battling and the point is to win. There's nothing wrong with winning with Pokemon that you like, but for serious battles, there's no reason to encourage using something that's completely outclassed by something else. That's like using Phione instead of Manaphy just cause you like Phione better, which is just flat out stupid if you want to win your battles.

ASB

Weather Team Hater
I promise we'll do more interesting pokes soon.

... in over a month when B+W come out in America... I've noticed how almost every set for all of the pokémon so far have been pretty much their most popular 4th gen sets, and only like one move on one of the sets is from 5th gen. I guess It's just because people aren't used to all of the new options yet so they aren't coming up with stuff. Delaying the featuring of the 5th gen pokes ought to give people some time to get used to the metagame anyway, so it's probably for the better.

... in over a month when B+W come out in America... I've noticed how almost every set for all of the pokémon so far have been pretty much their most popular 4th gen sets, and only like one move on one of the sets is from 5th gen. I guess It's just because people aren't used to all of the new options yet so they aren't coming up with stuff. Delaying the featuring of the 5th gen pokes ought to give people some time to get used to the metagame anyway, so it's probably for the better.

There's that, and the fact that every POTW so far has had virtually nothing new. Machamp and Blissey got squat, Tyranitar got just Tension for those scared of Sandstorm hurting the rest of their team, and Salamence got Dragon Tail (barely used) and Moxie (still not used quite as much as Intimidate). Now, if we move onto something like Blaziken or Gliscor then we'll be getting some new sets.

Zachmac

Ok, let me put it this way. This is competitive battling and the point is to win. There's nothing wrong with winning with Pokemon that you like, but for serious battles, there's no reason to encourage using something that's completely outclassed by something else. That's like using Phione instead of Manaphy just cause you like Phione better, which is just flat out stupid if you want to win your battles.
Well, phione is pathetic, machamp is not. Anyway, this is the pokemon of the week. We can't change what it is, so try to work with this one, even if you know it is outclassed.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Well, phione is pathetic, machamp is not. Anyway, this is the pokemon of the week. We can't change what it is, so try to work with this one, even if you know it is outclassed.

You missed my point entirely. You shouldn't use Guts Machamp because anything it does Roobushin does better, with higher attack, priority, etc. I've got nothing against working with Machamp as the POTW, and posting the viable sets, but there is no reason whatsoever to post sets that are significantly better pulled off by other things.

Weavile22

Imma be
Ice punch is it's only good counter to its flying weakness...........Except for thunderpunch

Zachmac

Actually, if you think about it, a guts set might work better on machamp then on Roobushin, since no one expected it in the first place, and it's less likely now.

Plus, with higher speed then roobushin, guts might work with the choice scarf better.
Ice punch is it's only good counter to its flying weakness...........Except for thunderpunch
What about stone edge?

ASB

Weather Team Hater
I reeeeally hope Speed Boost Blaziken is next. It could be a great mixed sweeper with Cheer Up, getting +1/+1/+1 every single turn, or it could just use Swords Dance to get the job done. Speed boost and the attack boosting moves might even allow it to run a quasi-bulky set which would allow it to set up more easily and take hits like a boss. It even gets priority in the form of STAB Vacuum Wave (the strongest one in the game outside of Lucario), though Speed Boost makes this less important. Finally, they made the original Fire-Fighting type better than the knock-offs. I guess they listened to the furious fans who were ranting about the overused typing. Game Freak has almost redeemed itself.

But anyway, this thread isn't about Blaziken. Gaah! Gotta get back on topic now.

As for Machamp: Ice Punch is generally better than ThunderPunch imo. It takes down Gliscor and Zdos, while ThunderPunch is better with Gyarados and Skarm.

Last edited:

windsong

WEST SIDE
Actually, if you think about it, a guts set might work better on machamp then on Roobushin, since no one expected it in the first place, and it's less likely now.

Plus, with higher speed then roobushin, guts might work with the choice scarf better. What about stone edge?

Surprise is not an important factor when it doesn't lure in anything important. And when the opponent sees a machamp that uses a Fighting move other than Dynamicpunch, they'll know that it's obviously guts.

Finally, you shouldn't be scarfing Machamp at all, since he's an absolutely horrible scarf revenge killer this gen.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'd like to see some interesting ones soon indeed. Machamp isn't really interesting for me. Mewtwo gained a bit this generation with a signature move that 2KOs Chansey, Blaziken is hot now that it has speed boost, and Mew and Arceus can always be counted on to have loads of variety.

Perhaps you should just launch 2 pokemon each week, one on sunday, one on thursday or something like that, so you can cover more pokemon before 6th gen comes out. After 3 days it seems that pretty much everything remotely viable is posted and after that we either get repetitions or crazy things like physical attacking blissey and specschamp, especially with pokémon that don't have massive loads of variety in them like Machamp, Blissey, Ursaring, Metagross, and Heatran.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some interesting ones soon indeed. Machamp isn't really interesting for me. Mewtwo gained a bit this generation with a signature move that 2KOs Chansey, Blaziken is hot now that it has speed boost, and Mew and Arceus can always be counted on to have loads of variety.

Perhaps you should just launch 2 pokemon each week, one on sunday, one on thursday or something like that, so you can cover more pokemon before 6th gen comes out. After 3 days it seems that pretty much everything remotely viable is posted and after that we either get repetitions or crazy things like physical attacking blissey and specschamp, especially with pokémon that don't have massive loads of variety in them like Machamp, Blissey, Ursaring, Metagross, and Heatran.

Metagross has a plethora of sets that are viable ._.

I completely agree with these Pokemon being boring. Not much can be done unless Reno or Serebii decide to change their plans early. But eventually (when B/W are released) a voting system will be installed in this where members will be able to choose the next POTW.

I think right now Reno is just trying to flesh out a core of analysis that cover most of the primary competitive Pokemon so we won't have to do them later. Doing two POTW (one voted on, another picked by staff) would solve this, but would double the work Reno has and sort of destroys the meaning of "Pokemon of the week".

I completely agree with these Pokemon being boring. Not much can be done unless Reno or Serebii decide to change their plans early. But eventually (when B/W are released) a voting system will be installed in this where members will be able to choose the next POTW.

I think right now Reno is just trying to flesh out a core of analysis that cover most of the primary competitive Pokemon so we won't have to do them later. Doing two POTW (one voted on, another picked by staff) would solve this, but would double the work Reno has and sort of destroys the meaning of "Pokemon of the week".

So I guess that means they already have the POTW Pokemon list planned out? I was kinda hoping that we could nominate the next Pokemon to do, 4th Gen of course. I mean, even some old guys have awesome new sets, like Blaziken, Gliscor, Cloyster, Dragonite, etc. Heck, we could do Ditto at the same time as something else next week, since it only has one good set and may not be hard to write an analysis for.

Status
Not open for further replies.