• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #41

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

338.png

This week we'll be doing Solrock, one of the Hoenn Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/338.shtml

Solrock isn't the most amazing Pokémon known to exist, but it is capable of some decent strategies

Go nuts

gpt11

Could we not have done Lunatone at the same time? its like doing Plusle without Minun :s

Last edited:
Solrock is certainly an interesting choice. I love Solrock's design but it is not the most powerful pokemon.

Here's my idea of a standard moveset

Ability: Levitate. It is the only choice but it does protect it from ground types

Item: Ummmm it really does not have a peak set so I guess a sitrus berry or nothing at all.
Nature: Adamant

Moves:
Earthquake
Acrobatics
Stone Edge
SandStorm

Basically this pretty much the only set it can use because of its poor stat distrubtion. It is not slow enough to use Gyro Ball. It is not fast enough to be a status inflictor. It doesn't have the special attack for Sunny Day Solar Beam combo or to use many of its other moves. And it does not even have the defense to use a defensive set so it has very little usage. Such a pity. I always liked Solrock better than Lunatune. However, Lunatune is better than Solrock (not enough to be useful). I hope Solrock is improved in the future. The irony is that Solrock has a more diverse moveset than most psychic pokemon
Counters: Pretty much anything that can score a supereffective on it

Last edited:

Diaglio

Well, it has a good spe-. Actually, its defenses aren't half ba-. Ok, this thing sucks. It's Psychicm which should say something about it's Special Attack being somewhat acceptable. But, it's not -_-. Really, it's only notable stats are Attack and Defense, which are 95 and 85 respectively. I suppose you can use it as support as well as a mediocre attacker, but it will never move out of the NU environment.

I will throw this rock atcho face
Solrock @ Muscle Band/Expert Belt
Levitate
Adamant/Jolly
252 Attack 252 Speed/HP, 4 Speed/HP
-Rock Polish/Stone Edge
-EQ
-Stone Edge/Return
-Explosion

Access to the strongest move in the game? Yes please! Rock Polish if you care about Speed, Stone Edge if you don't. If using Stone Edge in the first slot, run Return instead on the third slot, as it's a very reliable attack. EQ to finish the fabled QuakeEdge combo.

This rock will (attempt to) wall you
Solrock @ Light Clay/Leftovers
Levitate
Impish/Careful
252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 4 Def
-Light Screen/Reflect/Embargo/Heal Block/Cosmic Power/Toxic/Safeguard/Swagger/Trick Room/Substitute
-Light Screen/Reflect/Embargo/Heal Block/Cosmic Power/Toxic/Safeguard/Swagger/Trick Room/Substitute
-Stone Edge

It has a whole array of support moves, so use them. They're all pretty self explanatory, I think. Except for Stone Edge. That's so you don't become Taunt bait.

Hope this helps!

Fireflies

Aura Master
Solrock go Ba-Bam!
Solrock @ Choice Band/another band that will help, basically something that will show Solrock means business it could even use a berry if you really wanted to, there's not too many options with Solrock to be brutally honest
Levitate
Adamant
252 Attack 252 HP, 4 Speed
-Rock Polish
-Rock slide/stone edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion/Giga Impact

There isn't too much else to this set, rock polish is so you get a good head start and all that junk. Rock slide could be used in place of stone edge, but personally I think stone edge is alot better even with the slight accuracy disadvantage.
As for EQ, it's a must.
Giga Impact is something you can use, but then again with Solrock who isn't too much of a tank to say the least, it's probably a safer bet to go with explosion. I mean, if you are up against something you know can KO pretty easily, then just go BOOM and problem somewhat solved.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Could we not have done Lunatone at the same time? its like doing Plusle without Minun :s
No. Lunatone and Solrock work completely different and are their own Pokémon. We're not going to lump counterparts together else we'll do Nidoking/queen together, Vileplume/Victreebel, Arcanine/Ninetales, Volbeat/Illumise, Throh/Sawk etc. They're all valid on their own

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Well, as the Webmaster said, Solrock isn't the greatest Pokèmon ever, but it doesn't have much strategies. Good Attack and Defense, great Speed, poor HP, Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense. Has 7 weaknesses, which 5 of them are pretty common. Also, its movepool is much more Special than Physical. Can work in and out of Trick Room, but still hasn't that much to hit.

Bulky Offense

Solrock @ Leftovers
Brave, Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD
- Cosmic Power
- Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Boosts Defences a couple of times with Cosmic Power, and has two STAB moves and Earthquake to hit. Smack Down works well with EQ, blocking Levitaters and Flying-type from Ground immunity. Zen Headbutt is for secondary STAB, and has a chance to flinch.
Leftovers for a bit of recover each turn. Obviously this set is for Trick Room purposes.

Classic Suicide Lead

Solrock @ Light Clay
Adamant, Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/52 Def/252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Just a classic Lead set. Sets the Rocks, and the Screens possibly, then dies with Explosion, which can do quite damage with 317 Attack. Defenses EVs are there to make them balanced, and to allow Solrock to set up as much as possible.

Triples Supporter

Solrock @ Leftovers
Brave, Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk/52 Def/252 SpD
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball

This set supports a bit in Triple battles. Gravity makes the enemies flow down, making 'em vulnerable to Earthquake, which is preferrable to have it on a Pokèmon at the center position. Trick Room makes your team go first (if you obviously have 6 Pokèmon with the stats), Stone Edge is for STAB, and Gyro Ball hits hard, and works well along with Trick Room.

Last edited:

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Hmm, Solrock. Interesting... I like it's Psychic/Rock typing, but with it being Physically based means it's normal possibilities are a bit out. It's got decent-enough defenses, improved a great deal by Sandstorm, but you'd have to set it up from another Pokemon, with another moveslot, as Solrock isn't able to do much really anywhere. It's got a choice ability and a cool STAB, neat movepool and some other junk that make it cool, but it's nothing to find a slot on your team over.

It's Speed isn't great, it's whole Special possibilities unusable (55 SAtk and 65 SDef) and it's only good news in being OK Physically with mediocre speed. Not much else can be said about it.

Ability: Levitate
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Atk, 136 SDef (There's a better spread, but it's meant to be used in a Sandstorm so whatever)
-Stone Edge
-Zen Headbutt
-Earthquake
-Pain Split/Sandstorm

Well, this is what I've come up with. EdgeQuake is an awesome attak combo that can deal a respectable amount of damage, and pair up Zen Headbutt for another STAB. Then, you can use either Pain Split for some bad healing, or, you could run Sandstorm and hope for Wish support. Most of this I'm not doing well.

Oh yeah, and other things it might be able to do but I'm not going to type up are stuff like SubSplit maybe, probably Stall, MAYBE Scarf, and Explosion are all Options you can use on Solrock for it's funny.

ilucado

Blaine's Style!
Poor Solrock...

Going Retro
Solrock @ Focus Sash
Levitate
Adamant
252 Attack 252 Speed, 4 Def
-Rock Polish
-Pain Split
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Explosion

First use Rock Polish until FS kicks-in or you're low in HP... Then use Pain Spilt to cripple your foe! Stone Edge is your main (and only) STAB. Rock Slide for doubles... Explosion is Explosion!

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Solrock is a pretty neat Pokemon. Gets its name from "sol" (meaning sun) and "rock". It has good Attack and Defense, but everything else ranges from mediocre to poor. Well, it does have some moves that can take advantage of its stats.

It gets the EdgeQuake combo, like most Rock-types. It can also fire off a decently powerful Explosion. Iron Head provides little offensive coverage, but it's a decent move. It can heal itself with Pain Split, and can make up for its lacking Speed with either Rock Polish or Trick Room...that is, if it survives long enough. Because Solrock simply cannot take Special Attacks outside of a Sandstorm. At all.

Sala-imence

Rock type trainer
Solrock

TROCK-ROOM

Moveset
- Trick Room
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion
Item Attached: Normal Gem/Focus Sash
Nature: Brave (+Atk -Spd)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef

Activate trick room, sweep a bit, then when you get to low health, explosion is your friend. Stone Edge is for more power, but I think rock slide is better here. You might make the foe flinch, and it is more reliable. Normal Gem makes explosion awesome, where as focus sash will allow you to survive a KO to use explosion.

Vodka Haze

Something I would like to add is Solrock can learn Baton Pass. You just need the Solrock from Pokemon XD. This can lead to some interesting uses of Cosmic Power.

wunderkind

Something I would like to add is Solrock can learn Baton Pass. You just need the Solrock from Pokemon XD. This can lead to some interesting uses of Cosmic Power.

You're right... Perhaps something like this?

Rock Passing
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)/Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Def/252 SpD/4 HP
-Baton Pass
-Cosmic Power
-Rock Polish
-Stone Edge

With this set, you pass defense, special defense, AND speed boosts to another pokemon. Stone Edge is so you can have at least one attack. This set could be perfect for strengthening already bulky pokes, or to help out fragile glass cannons. And anyone could use defense and (as long as you don't have Gyro Ball) speed boosts.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Baton Pass? Never knew that. Not sure what support moves actually get passed now with it, it used to work on all kinds of things like Mean Look and stuff, idk what it passes now but Solrock has some tricks that it might work with, like Fire Spin and Heal Block.

Anyway, Gimmick times for the sun stone.

Sunportrock @ Leftovers
Impish nature (+Def, -Sp.Atk)
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
-Wonder Room
-Will-O-Wisp
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion / Stone Edge

Support Solrock. A gimmick but funny. Wonder Room swaps physical defence with special defence, meaning that Solrock suddenly gets good Sp.Def but poor Def, which is funny if your foe just swaps to a special attacker as you use Room. If they then swap to a physical counter hit them with Will-O-Wisp on the switch. Stealth rock is stealth rock, and the final move is there to avoid being taunt bait.

SunScreen @ Light Clay
Impish nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.Def
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Fire Spin
-Stealth Rock

Dual Screening Solrock. Start out with Fire Spin on something that isn't an immediate threat to prevent switching, and then set up stealth rock and the screens.

Solrock has lousy stats, but it has some interesting options, like Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Baton Pass with Cosmic Power, Calm Mind, Rock Polish, or Iron Defence, it gets Stealth Rock, and can set up dual screens or a safeguard, as well as trapping with Fire Spin. It's just too bad its type combination isn't exactly good and it's offensive movepool is mostly special oriented while it doesn't have the stats to do that, a bit better stats and it could be a great and unique pokémon.

Last edited:

gandaf

Solrock is probably one of my favorites.....so here we go

Even though it dosnt have the greatest special attack is can pull off a nice special or mix set if you use Wise Glasses even though i dont seem them offten on here.

Special Solrock
Psychic
Earth Power
Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Shadow Ball / Charge Beam

Mix Solrock
Psychic
Earthquake / Earth Power
Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Explosion / Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Charge Beam

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Solrock is probably one of my favorites.....so here we go

Even though it dosnt have the greatest special attack is can pull off a nice special or mix set if you use Wise Glasses even though i dont seem them offten on here.

Special Solrock
Psychic
Earth Power
Flamethrower / Fire Blast
Shadow Ball / Charge Beam

Mix Solrock
Psychic
Earthquake / Earth Power
Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Explosion / Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Charge Beam

No, no, no, no, no. 55 Base Special Attack is crappy. Let's see some calculations between Special and Physical variations before you go saying 55 is better than 95. Even then it won't work.

Crouton

Sauteed Bread Cubes
Solrock's a cool Pokemon. Not capable of too much, but it's still cool nonetheless.

Right...so here's my contribution.

338.gif

Why am I squinting?

Item: Life Orb/Flying Gem
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Acrobatics/Zen Headbutt/Explosion

Pretty straightforward sweeper set, even if Solrock doesn't have the best Attack stat. Rock Polish allows you to boost your speed up to fantastic levels. Earthquake gets great coverage in tandem with Stone Edge, which is STAB. Acrobatics can be used for Fighting-type coverage, but be prepared to run Flying Gem if you use it, as Acrobatics is near useless with Life Orb. Zen Headbutt can be used for STAB. Explosion allows Solrock to go out with a bang (quite literally) and can put a dent in a lot of things.

Solrock's not horrible, its biggest advantage above other Rock-types is Levitate, and its 95 base attack is pretty decent.

Sun Band
Solrock @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA), Jolly (+Spe, - SpA)
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Stone Edge / Rock Slide
~ Earthquake
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Return / Explosion

It has enough of a movepool to use a Choice Band. Stone Edge hits hard, Rock Slide for accuracy, Earthquake allows you the EdgeQuake combo. Zen Headbutt is another STAB move, and allows a nice flinch chance. The last move is really just filler, Return hits relatively hard, as does Explosion with a Choice Band, despite its changed mechanics. You can go Brave with 0 Speed ivs and use Gyro Ball in the last slot too.

Solrock also can get Baton Pass (Through XD iirc), so that's a plus too.

SunPass
Solrock @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
~ Baton Pass
~ Rock Polish / Calm Mind
~ Cosmic Power
~ Rock Slide / Will-O-Wisp / Magic Coat

You can either Baton Pass speed boosts or SpA and SpD boosts, while Cosmic Power ensures the recipiant will be able to take hits. Rock Slide prevents you from being Taunt bait, while Will-O-Wisp can severly cripple physical sweepers, while Magic Coat can bounce back Taunt or status.

Finally, Solrock is a great special wall under Sandstorm conditions, and can easily stall out threats.

Solrock @ Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Pain Split / Rest
~ Cosmic Power / Toxic / Sleep Talk
~ Rock Slide / Zen Headbutt / Toxic

Firstly, you need Snadstorm for the SpD boost, but once that's in place, it works very well. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical sweepers, meaning you can take hits from both sides of the spectrum. Pain Split is used for recovery, while Rest can heal you from status ailments, though you're a sitting duck for two turns. Cosmic Power is a great addition to this set, and once it gets a few boosts, nothing can OHKO Solrock. Toxic can help wither away walls, while Sleep Talk is there if using Rest. The last move is your attack, Rock Slide hits Fire-types who are immune to to Will-O-Wisp, while Zen Headbutt can flinch slower threats.

WeatherEffectRain

Arm Wrestle?
Wait, Solrock gets Acrobatics? That's awesome. at first, it gets a 165 BP Flying move(iirc, with Flying Gem) and then afterward it get a 110 BP Flying move. Then, it can use EdgeQuake and Zen Headbutt or it's variety of support-ish options.

It's still bad though. We should do something worse next POTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.