• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #41

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew72

The One and Only
CalmRock

CalmRock
Substitute/Flamethrower
Will-O-Wisp/HP Grass/ HP Fighting
Psyshock
Calm Mind
Nature:Calm
EVS: 252 Hp, 252 Sp.def, 4 Sp.Atk
Items:Leftovers

Solrock is different. I think that's why we give it a different moveset. Substitute for extra protection, Flamethrower if you want another offensive move. Psyshock for STAB and once your opponent catches on, Blissey comes in. You surprise everyone with this moveset. Calm Mind is necessary and works great with Substitute. Will-O-Wisp to stall or cripple something. This moveset is about the element of surprise. Solrock has other moves you could replace with but the one's here have good coverage. You could replace Will-O-Wisp with HP Grass to kill those bulky waters coming to kill you.HP Fighting kills those Tyranitar.

mew72

The One and Only
CalmRock

CalmRock
Substitute/Flamethrower
Will-O-Wisp/HP Grass/ HP Fighting
Psyshock
Calm Mind
EVS: 252 Hp, 252 Sp.def, 4 Sp.Atk

Solrock is different. I think that's why we give it a different moveset. Substitute for extra protection, Flamethrower if you want another offensive move. Psyshock for STAB and once your opponent catches on, Blissey comes in. You surprise everyone with this moveset. Calm Mind is necessary and works great with Substitute. Will-O-Wisp to stall or cripple something. This moveset is about the element of surprise. Solrock has other moves you could replace with but the one's here have good coverage. You could replace Will-O-Wisp with HP Grass to kill those bulky waters coming to kill you.HP Fighting kills those Tyranitar.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset
Item: Power Herb/Focus Sash
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Psychic
Flamethrower
Solarbeam

Power Herb can be used to fire Solarbeam right away to take down any Water and/or Ground-Types.
You can replace Flamethrower with Overheat as long as you equip White Herb to it.

Other moves:
Earthquake against Steel-types.
Shadow Ball against Ghost-types and lowers opponent's Sp Defense.
Sandstorm
Charge Beam against Water-types and raises its own's Sp Attack.
Acrobatics against Grass and/or Bug-types.
Wonder Room switches defenses.
Trick Room switches the battle order.

Partners:
Any pokemon that can take advantage with Sunny Day with the following moveset:

Sunny Assist
Item: Heat Rock
Sunny Day
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Flamethrower
Solarbeam

Any pokemon that can take advantage with Sandstorm with the following moveset:

Sandy Assist
Item: Smooth Rock
Sandstorm
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Flamethrower
Psychic/Earthquake/Shadow Ball/Charge Beam/Acrobatics

Also, pokemon that knows Earthquake or Bulldoze to take advantage on Solrock's Levitate.

Counters:
Dispite its weakness to Water, try not to use it with the likelyhood of having against one similar to the one with "Sunny Assist."
Dispite its weakness to Ground, don't use it unless Gravity, Smack Down, or item-switch with Iron Ball are involved.
Eventhough its Sp Defenses are weaker than its Defense, with Solrock that knows moves like Wonder Room, Reflect/Light Screen, Trick Room, and Will-o-wisp; you just need to focus on its weaknesses to other types: Grass, Bug, Ghost, Dark, and Steel.

Ilan

Stop posting special sets it have base 55 special attack, it NOT worth mentioning or using even as gimmick stick at the physical sets.
Especially when you have lunastone for it...

@above no EV and no thinking about the special/physical split great...

Shedinjask

Currently Invincible
Well, Solrock has a heavy offensive side, so it's defenses are lacking. It's speed is nothing short of small, either, but its not huge.

Iron Ball + Trick Room anyone?

Casty

Baton Pass

Solrock @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 26 Def / 232 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Rock Slide

While Solrock's movepool isn't bad, his low stats make him outclassed in most, if not all roles he could possibly fill. Baton Passing is probably his best bet at being competitive - passing Rock Polish and Substitute to a strong but slow powerhouse (such as Crawduant or Ursaring) can prove lethal, especially if you broke through your opponent's main walls beforehand. The EVs let Solrock outspeed Scarf Krookodile after a Rock Polish, which consequently allows him escape Krook's Pursuit and Crunch with Baton Pass.

Support

Solrock @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Pain Split / Baton Pass

A simple supporting set. Solrock has more weaknesses which are typically special (such as Water and Grass), so it's better to focus on his physical side instead. Stealth Rock really needs no explanation and it's especially useful in RU given the large amount of Rock-weak Pokemon, while Will-O-Wisp is used to amplify his physical tanking prowess. Fourth slot is up to you - Earthquake let's you deal with Aggron and provides good coverage with Rock Slide, Pain Split offers semi-reliable healing, and Baton Pass is good for scouting switches and escaping Pursuits.

edit: Rock Slide is my personal preference and it can be subbed for Stone Edge if you're looking for more power

Last edited:

Vandslaux

Solrock and Lunatone ARE the only pokemon capable of BPing Cosmic Power.

Rock Polish.
Base 140 speed is amazing, even though there is no attack stat to back it up. But it gets stone edge and earthquake do find their way on this guy, as well as i guess signal beam for dark types. Its few physical moves are good.

mew72

The One and Only
Ok, Solrock. i kinda have a different idea from the rest of you guys but no matter. Let's start.

CalmRock

Substitute/Flamethrower/Protect
Calm Mind
Psyshock
Will-O-Wisp, HP Ice, HP Grass or HP Fighting

Ability:Levitate
EVS: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Sp.Atk

Ok it's simple. Substitute provides extra protection and works great with Calm Mind. Flamethrower for another offensive Move if you need it. Protect works with Will-O-Wisp to help stall. Calm Mind is necessary. Psyshock for all those wall with horrible defenses A.K.A Blissey. Last move is a preference. Will-O-Wisp is for stalling/ crippling pokemon. HP Ice for those ugly dragon type. HP Grass for those bulky waters. HP Fighting Deals with the one and only, Tyranitar. This set is a joke, but if utilized properly, it can make Solrock the strongest guy on your team.;242;

Ilan

Ok, Solrock. i kinda have a different idea from the rest of you guys but no matter. Let's start.

CalmRock

Substitute/Flamethrower/Protect
Calm Mind
Psyshock
Will-O-Wisp, HP Ice, HP Grass or HP Fighting

Ability:Levitate
EVS: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 4 Sp.Atk

Ok it's simple. Substitute provides extra protection and works great with Calm Mind. Flamethrower for another offensive Move if you need it. Protect works with Will-O-Wisp to help stall. Calm Mind is necessary. Psyshock for all those wall with horrible defenses A.K.A Blissey. Last move is a preference. Will-O-Wisp is for stalling/ crippling pokemon. HP Ice for those ugly dragon type. HP Grass for those bulky waters. HP Fighting Deals with the one and only, Tyranitar. This set is a joke, but if utilized properly, it can make Solrock the strongest guy on your team.;242;
Yeah cause it will kill blissey with psychock of a base 55 special attack.

Wanna go special? use lunastone....
he have 55 special attack it NOT worth using!

~Kari~

Don't give it special moves!

Rock Polish Sweeper
Rock Polish
Explosion
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Earthquake
Zen headbutt/Return/Substitute
EV: 252 attack 252 speed
Adamant/Jolly Nature

Baton Passer
Cosmic Power/Calm mind/Rock Polish
Baton Pass
Substitute
Stone Edge
EVS 252 HP 128 SPD 128 Def

You could also use Stealth Rock on a support set

maciscool

the rng has been doing this for a while,and i really wanted to see breloom but oh well

this pokemon is 1 of the never used pokemon so dont think this is too usefyl.It can wall things,but its defenses r only average.

Abilities:

Levitate:very useful for solrock as it allows it to avoid its ground weakness and spikes

Light screen set
Light screen
Stone edge
Wilo wisp
steath rock
nature:impish/careful
ev 252hp/128def/128sdef
yeah...not my best work,but it works

Counters:Scizor will ruin its life,however it must be careful with wilo wisps

Last edited:

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Physical Moveset

Here's a physical-based moveset for people who have a problem with Solrock's Sp Attack stats:

Item: Muscle Band/Choice Band
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Earthquake
Acrobatics
Sandstorm/Wonder Room/Trick Room/Giga Impact

I'm not sure if Gyro Ball should be included, so I didn't put it in.

FYI, I'm not good at EVs. Eventhough there are several physical and special moves, Solrock's higher Attack is considerable.

Kraleck

Solrock and Lunatone ARE the only pokemon capable of BPing Cosmic Power.

Smeargle, Drifloon, and Drifblim beg to differ, though the latter two call it "BPing Stockpile" instead. Passing a both-defense buff works well, but only if the passer and recipient can survive long enough to use the buff. Often you'll need two uses of the buff, but critical hits are still likely and your HP might not hold out, especially with Super Fang, Spikes, Burns, Poison, Toxic Poison, Stealth Rock, and other passive damage.

Plus, 5th Gen introduced a Move that ignores Defense buffs anyway: Chip Away. Quite a few...and I'll note this next part...very usable Pokemon can learn Chip Away or a high Critical Hit ratio Move. Notable Chip Away users:
-Kangaskhan
-Ursaring
-Slaking
-Marowak
-Snorlax

On top of that, Storm Throw and Frost Breath will ignore the buffs with auto-Criticals if you don't pass to a Shell Armor/Battle Armor Ability Pokemon (even then, Mold Breaker Ability and Gastro Acid were designed to negate Abilities, so Criticals can still be a threat).

Vandslaux

OK, bar Smeargle.

Kangaskhan? lol
Ursaring? Nobody uses it in OU
Slaking? LOL
Marowak? I don't know
Snorlax? Only usable one of that list.

ok, Conk also learns Chip Away, but it also has a weak base power.

Kraleck

OK, bar Smeargle.

Kangaskhan? lol
Ursaring? Nobody uses it in OU
Slaking? LOL
Marowak? I don't know
Snorlax? Only usable one of that list.

ok, Conk also learns Chip Away, but it also has a weak base power.

Let me elaborate:
-Kangaskhan due to Scrappy (can't just pawn Defense off to a Ghost Type that needs it)
-Ursaring due to Guts and multi usage (better for partners to activate Guts than rely on Items in my experience)
-Slaking due to incredible Attack, STAB, and multi usage (1-on-1 is not Slaking's niche)
-Marowak due to Thick Club (you expect to wall EQ/Bonemerang with Levitate Ability/Flying Type and get a Chip Away to the face of Solrock's backup)
-Snorlax is pretty much a given
-Conkeldurr learns other, better Moves and relies more on priority with its low Speed anyway

Also, I don't follow tiers too well, but Solrock entering OU is, likewise, laughable. Barring somone using almost-nothing-but status Moves on every one of their Pokemon or the user BPing stats to Solrock, it stands incredibly little chance against Pokemon with better stats.

Another reason I don't like the Baton Pass+Cosmic Power combo: Set Damage Moves. Super Fang, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss, among others, will bypass defenses (and buffs to them). On paper, it works, but too many options can get around this.

Solrock relies rather heavily on its partners and backup to survive long enough to Baton Pass. The circumstances that allow it are rare and easily changed.

Vandslaux

Let me elaborate:
-Kangaskhan due to Scrappy (can't just pawn Defense off to a Ghost Type that needs it)
-Ursaring due to Guts and multi usage (better for partners to activate Guts than rely on Items in my experience)
-Slaking due to incredible Attack, STAB, and multi usage (1-on-1 is not Slaking's niche)
-Marowak due to Thick Club (you expect to wall EQ/Bonemerang with Levitate Ability/Flying Type and get a Chip Away to the face of Solrock's backup)
-Snorlax is pretty much a given
-Conkeldurr learns other, better Moves and relies more on priority with its low Speed anyway

Also, I don't follow tiers too well, but Solrock entering OU is, likewise, laughable. Barring somone using almost-nothing-but status Moves on every one of their Pokemon or the user BPing stats to Solrock, it stands incredibly little chance against Pokemon with better stats.

Another reason I don't like the Baton Pass+Cosmic Power combo: Set Damage Moves. Super Fang, Night Shade, and Seismic Toss, among others, will bypass defenses (and buffs to them). On paper, it works, but too many options can get around this.

Solrock relies rather heavily on its partners and backup to survive long enough to Baton Pass. The circumstances that allow it are rare and easily changed.

Still, BP that to a defensive pokemon with recovery or a setup sweeper, utter ownage.

Serpentine

Pokemon Breeder
Dual Screen

Brave Nature
Light Clay
252 Atk/252 HP 4 Sp.Def

Trick Room/Toxic/Sunny Day/Will-O-Wisp/Embargo/Stealth Rock
Reflect
Light Screen
Explosion

Solrock has a lot of variety with Dual Screen. Solrock can be used on a Trick Room team, a Sun team, and it can set up Stealth Rock as well as block item use with Embargo or inflect Burn or Badly Poison Pokemon with Toxic or Will-O-Wisp. Both of which can cripple Pokemon. It's not the best Pokemon which is where Explosion is useful. After setting up Dual Screen and whatever, you can inflict major damage. Explosion is also useful if you get Taunted. think of it as a more extreme version of Struggle.

UltimateVictini

DittoMustWinPrez ⌐_⌐
Finally I'm back to potwc. Anyways, solrock is uhhhh, well, HE SUX. But anyway here we go.

Ima Wall!
Solrock@Leftovers
Trait: Levitate (no dip)
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252 defense 252 sp defense 4 HP
Moveset:

-Cosmic Power
-Pain split
-Toxic
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Kraleck

Still, BP that to a defensive pokemon with recovery or a setup sweeper, utter ownage.

Agreed, but some setup sweepers need all the help they can get as well. Multiple Baton Passing may be required (i.e. BPing Cosmic Power to another Cosmic Power-Passer who BPs to an Agility-Passer). I know that Stat Buff Berries could work well on a Defense or Sp.Def Passer, so going for broke with a multi-defense passer could work...

You'll notice I go a bit schizo with my praises and nitpickings. It's normal due to how much I analyze - more options mean more surprises and Solrock has so many options. Although, roughly 1/3 of them are either not or lesser recommended...

Status
Not open for further replies.