• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Time for another Pokémon of the Week

210.png

This week we'll be doing Granbull, one of the classic Johto Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/210.shtml

Granbull is actually largely ignored, but it has a massive movepool and a fairly decent Attack stat giving it some decent possibilities

Go nuts

Ttar's stone edge

League Legend
Granbull has a lot of options, but is massively hindered by it's poor speed, and the mass of new fighting pokemon. It's ability, quick feet tried to change it, but intimidate is better, as every status will ruin it, even with the speed boost.

EDIT

Granbull @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - SpA
Ability: Quick Feet
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Facade
~ Close Combat / Earthquake
~ Crunch / Protect
~ Ice Punch / Fire Punch

If there is a use for quick feet, it is in this set, which caps it at 310 speed which still outruns practically nothing. The set gets facade, and stab boost which does considerable damage. Other moves are simply for coverage, and an elemental punch for coverage. Ice is preferred for dragons who love to wall and set up.

Conclusion: It's a shame that it's got so many moves and such good attack because it's speed completely ruins any chance of it being used competitively, minus a trick room team

Last edited:

grantholomew

accually is dolan
Meh, Granbull. Lot better than Purugly.
210.gif

Bravebull
Granbull @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Brave (+Atk, -Spd)
- Headbutt/Return
- Brick Break/Close Combat
- Ice Fang/Thunder Fang/Fire Fang
- Earthquake/Outrage
Basically this works best if Granbull has a Trick Room set up by someone else, and then just let him all out attack. Headbutt or Return for STAB. Brick Break is good for Rocks and Steels, but Close Combat is much better, if you’re daring. Choose a Fang. There’s also Earthquake, and then Outrage for Dragons. Brave works best if you’re coming into a Trick Room.

Granbull really suffers from a lack of speed in the sweeping department, and has to compete with Ursaring if running Quick Feet, as the latter does pack Swords Dance and a higher speed. Its still not bad though.

Name: Supportive Bulldog
Granbull @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Ability: Intimidate
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
~ Heal Bell
~ Super Fang
~ Toxic / Thunder Wave
~ Roar / Thunder Wave / Taunt / Reflect

Thanks to Intimidate and a fairly high HP stat, Granbull makes a surprisingly good team player. Heal Bell removes any status aliments the team may have, and Super Fang can take chunks out of opponents with full HP. Toxic is always good to score on walls to wither them down, while Thunder Wave can cripple sweepers. Roar is a nice addition tothe set, as it can phaze out sweepers on a set up move, as well as acting as a means to spread status and rack up entry hazard damage. If using Thunder Wave in slot three, Taunt can be used to stop those afflicted from either Taunting you, setting up, or trying to support their team. Reflect just raises your physical defense to nice levels while factoring in Intimidate, as well as helping your team take physical hits.

Granbull @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - SpA) / Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Facade
~ Close Combat / Earthquake
~ Crunch / Protect
~ Ice Punch / Fire Punch

Some speed is better than none. after Quick Feet, Granbull gets to 310 Speed. Its not ideal, but it does let you outspeed neutral natured base 105's. Its movepool is fantastic though. Facade gets STAB and status boosts, and can score many KOs. Close Combat hits Steels and Rocks quite hard, while Crunch rounds of the coverage. Earthquake is there as an alternative to still hit Steels and Rocks, while gaining hits on Electric types as well without the drop in defenses. Protect can be used to garuntee you get your speed boost. Ice Punch is essential form Granbull to KO Gliscor and Dragons, while Fire Punch hits the likes of Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Granbull, eh... I've always thought Granbull was ugly... Erm, anyways, this Normal type Pokemon isn't used very often, and for good reason. It has a very high base 120 Attack stat, but is let down by a Speed stat that is pitiful at best. And it isn't very bulky, either. Base 90 HP isn't too bad, but 75/60 defenses are laughable.

Now, on to the good stuff. It's movepool is huge, even for a Normal-type Pokemon. From Thunderbolt to Stone Edge, Ice Punch to Earthquake, and Overheat to Close Combat, it's got almost every common offensive move you can think of. It even gets Heal Bell and Metronome, weirdly enough. It has a couple of decent abilities, too.

Intimidate: Lowers the opponent's Attack stat by one stage. This is always useful on physical attackers, provided they lack Clear Body, Hyper Cutter, or White Smoke.

Quick Feet: Raises Speed one stage when the Pokemon is afflicted with a status condition. This makes Granbull's speed less of an issue. But even with the Quick Feet boost, it only reaches a max of around 310 (if you run a +Speed nature and max Speed). That still leaves it lagging behind a number of Pokemon.

Rattled: Raises Speed one stage every time the Pokemon is hit by a Bug, Ghost, or Dark move. While this is basically useless in Singles, I suppose you could take advantage of the ability in Doubles using Beat Up. Priority still kills Granbull, however.

There are so many ways you could go with Granbull, I can't possibly list them all. Even with a lackluster Sp. Attack, you can throw together a Specs set, although it works best in Trick Room. I wouldn't go with a Scarf, though, because of Quick Feet. Facade holds great synergy with Quick Feet, and also gets STAB.

Countering Granbull: Like every pure Normal type, it can't stand Fighting type attacks. If you somehow are lacking in Fighting-type attacks, than anything that can take a hit and strike back is good. The problem is, Granbull's huge movepool means it can smack a counter hard on the switch if it predicts correctly. Ghosts can absorb Normal attacks, but will hate Crunch and Payback. Steels and Rocks can also sponge Normal attacks, but Close Combat and Earthquake destroys them.

Granbull is easily revenge killed. It's just so slow. Even with Quick Feet, many Pokemon can still outrun it. Even if they can't, priority moves will still do large chunks. Granbull is just that frail.

shadow_burnt

HEAD BUTT GO!
Granbull, meh it's not very good in any department except attack and speed, why speed, it's slow as hell? Well Trick Room embraces it with open arms! Granbull is to frail to set up, so should come in on Trick Room then CB to hit hard, this is RU/NU right?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Granbull is an inferior ursaring but he has a large amount of options but here we go:

Intimidate: a great ability, lowers your opponents attack is always nice

Quick Feet: not to bad, ups your speed if hit by a status condition but burn and toxic cripples him. Only handy if you switch in to a thunder wave

Rattled: don't use this one ups already immune to ghost and taking damage from bugs and darks raises your speed but i just rather absorb a thunder wave to get the boost.

Bulky Bulldog
Bulk Up
Return
Close Combat
Crunch
Item: life Orb
EVs and nature: Adamant 252 hp 252 attack 4 sp.d

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Choice Bull
Granbull@Choice Band
Brave nature
Intimidate
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp. Def
~Return
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Fire Punch

Granbull has only two things going for it. It's massive Attack stat and its insane physical movepool. This set takes advantage of both things fantastically. Return is for STAB, Close Combat and Crunch are for coverage, and Fire Punch is filler. Oh, and you'll want to only use this one for Trick Room teams.

Item is obvious. Ability is preferable to anything that can possibly raise Speed.

ScarfBull
Granbull@Choice Scarf
Adamant nature
Quick Feet
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
~Return/Facade
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Fire Punch

Granbull's low Speed is the main thing that prevents it from becoming one of the great sweepers of our time. Well, this set attempts to alleviate this problem somewhat. A Quick Feet boost alone is not enough to get Granbull's Speed up to respectable levels. Nor is the Choice Scarf boost. But the two of them together, maybe. This requires amazing prediction skills, or at least an opponent that sets up Toxic Spikes. You want to get Granbull in on a status move, preferably something that induces poison. A burn would be counterproductive. From there, attempt a sweep. Return is for STAB, but Facade works even better if Granbull is statused. Close Combat and Crunch are for coverage, and Fire Punch is filler.

Item and ability I already explained.

Other options:
*A Rattled set could in theory work in double battles, paired with a Beat Up Whimsicott.
*Don't bother trying to abuse Granbull's semi-meager special movepool, because at base 60 Special Attack, it just ain't worth it.
*A Bulk Up set could be used for a more defensive approach, but Granbull's lacking Special Defense makes this difficult.
*Double-Edge works over Return if you don't mind the recoil.

Abilities:
*Intimidate: The ability Granbull will almost always want. Lowers the opponent's Attack. Almost always useful.
*Quick Feet: It is to Speed as Guts is to Attack. It seems nice in theory, giving Granbull a means to alleviate that pathetic Speed stat. However, even with a Jolly nature, once Quick Feet activates, Granbull only has 310 Speed. Outsped by Adamant Haxorus, without the Dragon Dance boosts. Works OK with Choice Scarf for a gimmicky set, though.
*Rattled: Granbull's Hidden Ability. Its Speed goes up one stage if it takes a Dark, Bug, or Ghost move. Only really practical in doubles with a Beat Up Whimsicott, as nobody's gonna be using such moves on Granbull to begin with, or at least no more than once (not nearly enough to give it the amount of Speed it needs, anyway).

Partners:
In doubles, you want a Beat Up Whimsicott. In singles, Trick Room support.

Counters:
Most special attackers can and will screw Granbull over royally. Stalling out Trick Room is also an effective tactic. If it's the Quick Feet + Scarf variant, try something with Vacuum Wave.

Opinion:
Granbull is just awesome. It's a shame it was saddled with such a pathetic Speed stat.

svenosman

I'll judge you...
At first, thanks for not deleting my post. I haven't had time to change it, cause, you know, school and stuff.

Anyway, I'll be completely hounest with you guys. I never used Granbull in a battle, because I don't like Normal-types (unless they have awesome stats, like Slaking). It was just like this: *scrolling the Pokédex* "pff, Snubbull, Granbull, Qwilfish, pff, hé, its Tyranitar!" Eversince, Tyranitar is my favourite Pokémon.

While looking at its movepool, stats and abilities, I came up with a conclusion: it hasn't got much to offer. Look.

High Attack, but low Speed --> Not a very good sweaper
Low Speed, but low Defences --> Unsuitable for Trick Room sweaping
Good movepool, but low Speed + low Defences --> Doesn't get the time to set them up / use them.
Lack of other support moves --> No support

It does get Intimidate, so it's Defence rises up to a base 107,5 (correct me if I'm wrong), which is actually pretty great. BUT, a special attack with a Speed priority of +1 (like vacuum wave, which is the only one btw) can easily send you back to your Pokéball.

While looking further, almost all of its attacks are physical. Even if it had more special attacks, they wouldn't have been used, so who gives a ****. So here we go, saying the thing everybody will say: burn. I'm even not going to explain this.

But enough with the whole "I don't like this thing"-thing, it's HP and Attack are great. It's like... a Slaking? *waits to get smacked in the face* A choice scarf will do the trick. I think? Now if you will all excuse me, I'm going to do some homework.

Last edited:

Meowmeow

selfproclaimed guru
I see Granbull as a lesser version of all of these Pokemon:
Tauros
Kangeskhan
Ursaring
Bouffalant
Arcanine
Snorlax

All of these guys are better than Granbull. However, Granbull is not a poor Pokemon, it's outclassed.

Choice
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 attack and HP/speed, 4 Special Defense
Ability: Not Rattled
@: Choice Band/Scarf

Return
Close Combat
Fire Punch/Earthquake
Crunch

A direct approach.

Quick Feet
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
@: Toxic Orb

Protect
Return
Close Combat/Fire Punch/Crunch/Earthquake

Ursaring does this job a million times better. Another direct approach.

Bulk Up
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
Ability: Not Rattled
@: Life Orb/Leftovers

Bulk Up
Return

The one thing that the guys I listed above will not be doing: Bulk Up (Snorlax has Curse though). Again, a direct approach.

Other options:
Rattled is a great ability, since it boosts your attack. The problem is that Rattled is illegal with Fire Punch, meaning you'd have to run the crappy Fire Fang. Although the attack boosts from Rattled could offset the cost, the raw higher power of Fire Punch is much better. However, if you choose not to use Fire Punch, Rattled is an excellent ability to use.
Stone Edge is a great move, but has redundant coverage.
Double-Edge is a stronger Return with recoil.
Thunder Wave can correct that speed issue, but you already have Quick Feet.
Counter can catch physical attackers, but you already have Intimidate.
Wild Charge, Outrage, and Ice Punch have useless coverage.

Diaglio

This is a fairly decent Pokemon. I bet he'd be used more if it weren't for it's poor Speed and lackluster defenses. Quick Feet and Choice Scarves fix the speed problem while Intimidate sort of fixes the low Defense. I'd say this is best used for a revenge killer if you Scarf it.

Who Knew Pit Bulls Could Move Like Greyhounds?
Granbull @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate
Adamant
252 Hp, 252 Attack, 4 Speed
-Crunch
-Outrage
-Return
-Fire Fang

Return is just about the best STAB it can get. Crunch is there because it'll handle those pesky Ghost-and-Psychic-types, and it takes advantage of the chance of Defense drops. Outrage is there because... well, it's Outrage. I don't think that needs an explanation. Fire Fang is there because all the prior moves are resisted by Steel-types. I think the only Pokemon this set won't work on is Heatran, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cynophobia
Granbull @ Life Orb
Intimidate
Jolly/Adamant
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp
-Scary Face
-Return
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

Cynophobia is the fear of dogs. Scary Face kills the opponent's Speed, setting Granbull or something else slower to take care of it. Return is there for STAB. Earthquake hits Steel and Rock types that resist STAB. Ice Fang takes care of Grass, Ground, and Flying types that aren't affected by EQ.

Hope those sets are fun!

SkyDriver

Hiding in the grass
This is the set I used in the hgss battle tower, it worked for me...Don't know if it'll be good this gen
Granbull@choice band
intimidate
adamant
252 HP/ 252 Atk
-Giga Impact
-Close Combat
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch

Palkia98

Granbull@Life Orb
Adamant/Brave
Intimidate
252atk/252hp/4speed
~Outrage
~Bulk Up
~Crunch
~Close Combat/Earthquake

Last edited:

Aurath8

Granbull. To put it bluntly, it's a slightly worse version of Ursaring.

Intimidate gives it acceptable physical bulk but it's still not fast enough to make good use as a sweeper and it's got a horrible typing for a wall.

Quick Feet: A cool ability. When statused you get 1.5x boost to speed. But Ursaring, is faster, bulkier and more powerful and has a similar movepool and everything. Still a good ability though.

Rattled: Bug, Dark and Ghost moves increase your speed one stage. It would be useful but those three types aren't that common apart from stuff like Scizor, T-tar, Zoroark and Gengar. In other words, situational. It would be good if you got an immunity like Sap Sipper.
Oh, and iirc, Dream World Granbull is unreleased.

Ursabull
Granbull@Toxic Orb
Quick Feet
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Return
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Bulk Up

This is where Granbull's inferiority complex comes in. The first three moves are pretty obvious. STAB, Steels, Ghosts in that order. Bulk Up is Granbull's only setup move as he doesn't have Swords Dance. Yup. It gives extra durability I guess...
After Toxic Orb activates you beat max speed Rotom. In other words, you get to 310 speed. So Base 91 and everything slower. Let's be honest, that's not that fast.
So yeah, less power, bulk, speed than Ursaring.

Other options:
It could use Double Edge if you really want this thing to die as quickly as possible. Recoil and Poison means it'll last 4 turns tops. Not worth it imo.
Fire Punch is cool hitting steels and whatnot. It's illegal with Rattled though.
You could some kind of mock-up TerraCotta in doubles using Rattled and something with Beat Up. It's an idea.
It has Super Fang. Uh yeah. It halves the opponents current HP. It's pretty good for stallbreaking I guess.
Scary Face can force switches I suppose.

Counters: Focus Blast from almost anything will seriously dent Granbull thanks to it's bad Spdef. VAcuum Wave and Aura Sphere also really hurt. Strong neutral special hits(i.e anything except ghost moves) will really hurt too. Try to avoid using physical moves on this. Bulk Up, intimidate etc. makes that a bit annoying.

So yeah, if you're thinking if using Granbull: use Ursaring seriously.

ClefairyRox

Nintendo Fan
Granbull. To put it bluntly, it's a slightly worse version of Ursaring.

Intimidate gives it acceptable physical bulk but it's still not fast enough to make good use as a sweeper and it's got a horrible typing for a wall.

Quick Feet: A cool ability. When statused you get 1.5x boost to speed. But Ursaring, is faster, bulkier and more powerful and has a similar movepool and everything. Still a good ability though.

Rattled: Bug, Dark and Ghost moves increase your speed one stage. It would be useful but those three types aren't that common apart from stuff like Scizor, T-tar, Zoroark and Gengar. In other words, situational. It would be good if you got an immunity like Sap Sipper.
Oh, and iirc, Dream World Granbull is unreleased.

Ursabull
Granbull@Toxic Orb
Quick Feet
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Return
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Bulk Up

This is where Granbull's inferiority complex comes in. The first three moves are pretty obvious. STAB, Steels, Ghosts in that order. Bulk Up is Granbull's only setup move as he doesn't have Swords Dance. Yup. It gives extra durability I guess...
After Toxic Orb activates you beat max speed Rotom. In other words, you get to 310 speed. So Base 91 and everything slower. Let's be honest, that's not that fast.
So yeah, less power, bulk, speed than Ursaring.

Other options:
It could use Double Edge if you really want this thing to die as quickly as possible. Recoil and Poison means it'll last 4 turns tops. Not worth it imo.
Fire Punch is cool hitting steels and whatnot. It's illegal with Rattled though.
You could some kind of mock-up TerraCotta in doubles using Rattled and something with Beat Up. It's an idea.
It has Super Fang. Uh yeah. It halves the opponents current HP. It's pretty good for stallbreaking I guess.
Scary Face can force switches I suppose.

Counters: Focus Blast from almost anything will seriously dent Granbull thanks to it's bad Spdef. VAcuum Wave and Aura Sphere also really hurt. Strong neutral special hits(i.e anything except ghost moves) will really hurt too. Try to avoid using physical moves on this. Bulk Up, intimidate etc. makes that a bit annoying.

So yeah, if you're thinking if using Granbull: use Ursaring seriously.

It actually has been released as part of Spooky Mansion. I have already encountered a number of DW Snubbull in there.

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Rattled is a great ability, since it boosts your attack. The problem is that Rattled is illegal with Fire Punch, meaning you'd have to run the crappy Fire Fang. Although the attack boosts from Rattled could offset the cost, the raw higher power of Fire Punch is much better. However, if you choose not to use Fire Punch, Rattled is an excellent ability to use.

I think you're confusing Rattled with Guts. With Rattled, if you're hit by a Bug-, Ghost-, or Dark-type attack, your Speed goes up one stage. It has nothing to do with raising Attack, which is what Guts does if you're inflicted with a major status ailment (burn, paralyze, etc). Nor does it have anything to do with punching attacks.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Here's an idea:

Granbull@Choice Band/Life Orb
Adamant/Brave Nature
Intimidate/Rattled
252 HP 252 Atk

Return
Crunch
Wild Charge
Ice Fang

Pretty straight forward. STAB, something to beat ghosts, and the ice electric combination.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
This is a fairly decent Pokemon. I bet he'd be used more if it weren't for it's poor Speed and lackluster defenses. Quick Feet and Choice Scarves fix the speed problem while Intimidate sort of fixes the low Defense. I'd say this is best used for a revenge killer if you Scarf it.

Who Knew Pit Bulls Could Move Like Greyhounds?
Granbull @ Choice Scarf
Intimidate
Adamant
252 Hp, 252 Attack, 4 Speed
-Crunch
-Outrage
-Return
-Fire Fang

Return is just about the best STAB it can get. Crunch is there because it'll handle those pesky Ghost-and-Psychic-types, and it takes advantage of the chance of Defense drops. Outrage is there because... well, it's Outrage. I don't think that needs an explanation. Fire Fang is there because all the prior moves are resisted by Steel-types. I think the only Pokemon this set won't work on is Heatran, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cynophobia
Granbull @ Life Orb
Intimidate
Jolly/Adamant
252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp
-Scary Face
-Return
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

Cynophobia is the fear of dogs. Scary Face kills the opponent's Speed, setting Granbull or something else slower to take care of it. Return is there for STAB. Earthquake hits Steel and Rock types that resist STAB. Ice Fang takes care of Grass, Ground, and Flying types that aren't affected by EQ.

Hope those sets are fun!

Granbull gets Fire Punch and Ice Punch from Emerald tutors as well as from Platinum tutors, use those instead of the fangs. Also, use Thunder Wave instead of Scary Face as Thunder wave sticks after they switch, it quarters speed rather than halving it, and it also has a chance of immobilising your victims, ie, Thunder Wave is bettr than Scary Face.

Anyways, pretty much everything that it can do has already been mentioned. It can attack on the physical side but is basically an inferior Ursaring, and Gamefreak apparently thought that giving Granbull a huge special movepool would compensate for the lesser stats while it is simply a huge movepool it can't use effectively with that painful 60 Sp.Atk. Then they thought Intimidate might help compensate, but at the same time they gave Ursaring Guts which is simply better, and they also gave Ursaring Swords Dance.

One thing that might be worthwhile to mention is that Granbull gets Mega Kick from the Emerald Move tutor, a massively scary base 120 STAB move with no recoil but only 75% accuracy. Use it if you feel really lucky, if you get lucky with it it can win you games, but if you are unlucky you'll just get knocked down after it keeps on missing.

Last edited:

Charizard Lizzy

BARRELS!!!
Granbull is your typical Physical sweeper in the sense that it’s all brute force at the cost of good defenses. Luckily for Granbull, base 120 Attack means it won’t feel upset about the fact it doesn’t have access to Swords Dance. Plus, it has an interesting movepool to select from for that insane Attack.

Of course, its Speed is pathetic for a sweeper (base 45), but there’s always Trick Room. Quite honestly, there’s no point to even using Granbull outside of a Trick Room. Every time I’ve encountered someone foolishly using it under normal battle circumstances, it went down in one hit. It’s kind of like Glaceon in that sense.

Granbull hits like a truck, but its poor Speed and defenses means it can easily be taken advantage of unless you’ve prepared the battle scene in its favor.

Abilities:
Intimidate – Lowers the opponents’ Attack one level when Granbull is sent out. This is really the only helpful ability for Granbull, as it adds just a smidgen more bulk to its Defense.

Quick Feet – Increases your Speed when inflicted with a major status (burn, sleep, etc). Like I said previously, Granbull isn’t blessed in the Speed department. Even if you invested into the Speed stat like no tomorrow... You should probably just use another Physical Sweeper in the first place.

Rattled (Dream World) – Get hit by a Bug-, Ghost-, or Dark-type move, and your Speed increases by one stage. A Beat Up Whimsicott could essentially quadruple Granbull’s Speed in double battles this way, but again, we’re talking about Granbull here. Stick with Intimidate.

;210;
GranBrute
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Brave (+ Atk, - Spd)

- Return / Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Close Combat / Brick Break
- Crunch

Return gets STAB and insane power from a perfectly happy Granbull. Headbutt is another good STAB option, as it has the potential to flinch. Earthquake is always awesome. Close Combat is a wicked powerful Fighting option at the consequence of lowering Granbull’s Defense and Special Defense, which it isn’t even concerned about in the first place being a sweeper. However, if you’re really trying to keep Granbull alive, Brick Break is another Fighting-type choice. Although much weaker, it does at least prevent your opponent from walling you with Light Screen and Reflect. Crunch Takes care of Ghosts-types, especially Levitating ones that would otherwise block this entire set.

Because I am heavily influencing Granbull to only be used in Trick Rooms, A Brave Nature and absolutely no attention to Speed is important. Really, the only other stat to raise outside of Attack is HP... Hey, it might help Granbull survive, like, one attack.

Life Orb further increases Grabull’s power at the cost of some HP each turn. Because it’s wired as a sweeper, survival isn’t expected to last very long anyways.

;210;
Bulky-ish Bulldog
Item: Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 HP –OR—252 Atk / 252 Sp. Def / 4 HP –OR—252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Def –OR—252 Atk / 132 Def / 124 Sp. Def
Nature: Brave (+ Atk, - Spd)

- Bulk Up
- Crunch
- Fire Punch / Thunderpunch / Ice Punch
- Return / Headbutt

This set attempts to increase Granbull’s defensive capabilities, but keep in mind that its Special Defense will always be left exposed in the open. Bulk Up increases Attack and Defense one stage each. Crunch takes care of Ghosts. Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, and Ice Punch provide an interesting variety option. Out of all of them, Fire Punch easily takes care of Steels that would resist you otherwise (well, Heatran gets neutral damage...).

Life Orb gives more power. Leftovers will attempt to recover your health.

Other Options:
Outrage has wicked power, but confuses Granbull at the end and targets randomly in multi-battles. I personally don’t recommend it, but that’s just my personal taste.

Granbull actually has access to Reflect, which will boost your whole team’s Defense.

Stone Edge and Rock Slide are typical Rock-type options.

Last Resort has more power than a maxed-happiness Return. All of you other attack have to be used first, however.

Partners:
YOU NEED TRICK ROOM SUPPORT! Why would you even want to use Granbull without it when it has such abysmal Speed? Outside of that, Granbull doesn’t have access to a super effective attack against Fighting-types. Keep a Flying or Psychic Pokémon close at hand.

Countering:
Without Trick Room, Granbull is easy to overcome. However, don’t ignore its presence because it’s slow - it hits hard and most likely has an attack in its roster that has the upper hand against you. Muscle all the strength you can right when you encounter it and take it out with its poor defenses. Fighting types in general can get the job done.

Attack Index:
- Brick Break - TM 31, Snubbull/Granbull
- Bulk Up - TM 08, Snubbull/Granbull
- Close Combat - EGG- Crunch - Lvl. 49, Snubbull ; Lvl. 53, Granbull
- Earthquake - TM 26, Snubbull/Granbull
- Fire Punch – PtHGSS Tutor, Snubbull/Granbull
- Headbutt – Lvl. 19
- Ice Punch – PtHGSS Tutor, Snubbull/Granbull
- Last Resort - PtHGSS Tutor
- Outrage - Lvl. 67, Granbull only
- Reflect - TM 33, Snubbull/Granbull
- Return - TM 27, Snubbull/Granbull