• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
defensive? and waste his 120 attack?

Offensive? And be completely outclassed by literally every other sweeper?

why not just use audino that have better defensive stats? same tier- better use.

Audino is a piece of ****. Never mention it unless you are using some weird gimmick joke set. Intimidate gives Granbull effectively 137 base defense, FAR superior defense to Audino (who only takes hits slightly better than Azumarill). Unlike Audino Grandbull actually has the ability to hurt stuff. 120 base attack and a GREAT movepool against Audino's 60 base attack.

Audino is one of the worst Pokemon in the game. Granbull isn't too great either but at least he can sponge physical hits while punishing switch ins with Super Fang or his 120 base attack. Audino sits there and dies.

Last time I checked Audino didn't have Intimidate. Or Super Fang. Audino is probably better, but BH just tried to show that Granbull has other options.

Nah, Audino isn't better. Audino is horrible. Useless. Even Wigglytuff, Togetic and Clefairy outclass it.

Ilan

Offensive? And be completely outclassed by literally every other sweeper?

Audino is a piece of ****. Never mention it unless you are using some weird gimmick joke set. Intimidate gives Granbull effectively 137 base defense, FAR superior defense to Audino (who only takes hits slightly better than Azumarill). Unlike Audino Grandbull actually has the ability to hurt stuff. 120 base attack and a GREAT movepool against Audino's 60 base attack.

Audino is one of the worst Pokemon in the game. Granbull isn't too great either but at least he can sponge physical hits while punishing switch ins with Super Fang or his 120 base attack. Audino sits there and dies.

Nah, Audino isn't better. Audino is horrible. Useless. Even Wigglytuff, Togetic and Clefairy outclass it.

Now I checked it audino IS useless...

Other pokemons with intimidate and usable defensive stats (NU): arbok (it got coil too),taurus,luxray, mightiena those seems like better choices over granbull in my opinion, taurus being the superior one from all those mentioned

it got access to heal bell but so miltank too which got curse (or better speed) and ALSO heal bell

In my opinion it get outclassed by so many pokemons... for its' intimidate there are those cursers who get usually more than 1 curse and are mostly bulkier in every tier he have a pokemon (from the same type) doing better job.

Sure he get a really good move pool and a surprise factor but what then? what it can do? defensively it is outclassed by miltank offensively it gets outclassed by taurus (and even arbok).

The only good set that don't get THAT outclassed is trick room that's his only use the others can be used by a better replacement... if you gonna use it in RU (NU doesn't exist for now) you are gonna face some fighting types.. and switching just make intimidate "boost" useless.

In conclution
outclassed: (normal types only)
Trick room Offensive- usable
Quick Feet Offensive- Ursaring (100% better)
Intimidate Offensive- taurus
Intimidate defensive- usable
Heal bell user-Milktank, Audino
super fang + intimidate- unique
super fang in NU- none (maybe raticate)
and that's on NU
in UU: snorlax is better
in OU: all being better

thats are his choices, I think no one would consder him in his team anyway when you get better chices to the main roles he cans do.. use it at your own risk.

Now I checked it audino IS useless...

Yes.

Other pokemons with intimidate and usable defensive stats (NU): arbok (it got coil too),

Arbok takes physical and special hits much worse than Granbull. It also has 35 base attack less along with a useless STAB and terrible movepool.

What is Tauros going to do for support, Body Slam? It also has a far inferior movepool and less attack.

Terrible movepool. Besides its STAB that either hurts itself or runs Thunderbolt off weaker special attack. The rest of its movepool is basically limited to Superpower, Hidden Power and Elemental Fangs. Its only real support move is Thunder Wave.

mightiena those seems like better choices over granbull in my opinion,

Mightyena.. Takes hits worse, worse typing, worse movepool, worse attack etc.

taurus being the superior one from all those mentioned

Yeah, except it can't support anything. The only thing Tauros is good for is attacking (Sheer Force mixed is actually really good in OU)

it got access to heal bell but so miltank too which got curse (or better speed) and ALSO heal bell

Yeah ok I'll give you this, Miltank is overall better to use. Doesn't get Super Fang though.

In my opinion it get outclassed by so many pokemons... for its' intimidate there are those cursers who get usually more than 1 curse and are mostly bulkier in every tier he have a pokemon (from the same type) doing better job.

Of course there is. What's your point? The POTW is supposed to list the best possible uses of a Pokemon. Quick Feet Granbull is literally useless because Ursaring is better in every area.. stats, same movepool etc. Bulky Super Fang Granbull however has niche uses that nothing else can do. Don't list garbage generic CB and Bulk Up sets like I'm sure Reno will do, focus on what little Granbull can do that other Pokemon can not.

Sure he get a really good move pool and a surprise factor but what then? what it can do? defensively it is outclassed by miltank offensively it gets outclassed by taurus

Why do you feel like Pokemon need to be categorized? That makes no sense when all Pokemon are different. Thunder Wave / Super Fang / Heal Bell / Return Granbull is going to tear into pretty much anything that switches in on it. Nothing else in the game can run that movepool with intimidate. I would probably use Granbull over Miltank on NU stall due to the utility Intimidate and Super Fang grants.

(and even arbok).

Yeah, a Pokemon with 85 base attack who's movepool practically consists of Earthquake and Poison Jab is more offensively useful than a Pokemon with 35 more base attack and pretty much every important physical move in the game. Arbok is almost as bad as Audino.

The only good set that don't get THAT outclassed is trick room that's his only use the others can be used by a better replacement... if you gonna use it in RU (NU doesn't exist for now) you are gonna face some fighting types.. and switching just make intimidate "boost" useless.

Yeah, its weak to fighting. Switch out when they switch in, though by pumping Super Fangs into the fighters you will probably cause more damage than they do.

In conclution
outclassed: (normal types only)
Trick room Offensive- usable
Quick Feet Offensive- Ursaring (100% better)
Intimidate Offensive- taurus
Intimidate defensive- usable
Heal bell user-Milktank, Audino
super fang + intimidate- unique
super fang in NU- none (maybe raticate)
and that's on NU
in UU: snorlax is better
in OU: all being better

Stop categorizing things. Yeah of course there are better sweepers, Heal Bellers or whatever. But nothing can run Super Fang, Thunder Wave and intimidate in the same set while maintaining great offensive pressure.

thats are his choices, I think no one would consder him in his team anyway when you get better chices to the main roles he cans do.. use it at your own risk.

If I needed something with physical bulk, Heal Bell, intimidate and Super Fang I would consider Granbull. This will never happen but saying Granbull is outclassed is pointless. It is what it is. If you need its niche, use it. When NU becomes a playable tier on Smogon I will probably use Granbull. Unlike every single Pokemon you listed it serves a very usable role on stall or bulky offense.

I see two somewhat usable sets in NU.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Super Fang
- Heal Bell
- Return

Takes physical hits better than Metagross and almost as well as defensive Groudon due to intimidate. Spam Thunder Wave to cripple offense or Super Fang to put heavy pressure on stall. Heal Bell supports your own team while Return hits hard off 276 attack uninvested (close to as powerful as Flygon's Earthquake).

Granbull @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge / Return
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Best use of Granbull's offenses. Thunder Wave a switch in so you don't have to predict, and if you are forced out at least they are Paralyzed. Hit and run attacker that can do incredible damage to most Pokemon in NU. Double Edge hits harder than Lucario's Close Combat allowing it to 2HKO even the toughest of walls. Close Combat and Stone Edge round off the coverage hitting pretty much everything that survives Double Edge hard. Works kind of like Thunder Wave Groudon did in 4th gen ubers. Thunder Wave and wear down its counters early game then sweep, or allow a teammate to, late game.

This is where Reno ignores logic and just types up a Choice Band and Quick Feet set, then throws a bulky set in at the end as an afterthought.

GirlKirbyZombie

Pokemon Rancher
Some info

Granbull reminds me of Wario: Big, bulky strong, purple, and slow. Just sayin'. :)

Kraleck

Last time I checked Audino didn't have Intimidate. Or Super Fang. Audino is probably better, but BH just tried to show that Granbull has other options.

With Base 45 Speed, other options just may not do. Without Priority Moves, Gran' is quite vulnerable to...well, everything.

Many of the Pokemon tied or beaten by Gran's Speed are:
-Under- and un-Evolved
-Ones that outclass Gran' on almost-everything else
-Practically-useless members of the Bug and/or Grass Types (Parasect, Shedinja, Wormadam (all), and Sunflora)
-Under the effects of Trick Room

Audino has a Speed, Defense, Sp.Def, AND HP advantage over Gran'. Intimidate, as I previously mentioned, is useless in several cases (Special Attackers and Pokemon with certain Abilities). Super Fang is very situational and useless against Ghost Types.

;210;

Not really raised a granbull before, probably cos ive not really noticed its ATK stat was that good and that its has a big movepool.

Return
Close Combat
Crunch
Ice Punch/Ice Fang
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant/Brave

To me this set gives good coverage. Normal moves hit every type normaly bar rock, steel and especially ghost. thats where Close Combat and Crunch come in. Crunch Deals with pesky Ghosts that get in your way and Close Combat allows it to damage rocks and steels effectively. the last moves are pretty much the same both hit dragons hard and can Freeze. the preference is yours; Ice Punch is slightly more powerfull and accurate than Ice Fang BUT Granbulls low speed could make it a good contender for Trick Room so the flinching chance from Ice Fang could make it a better choice whilst in it.

EV's: 252 ATK and 252 HP cos there no point raising its speed since its kinda low reaching only 310 with Quick Feet and a nature like Jolly.

A quck feet set is possible wi the above move set as long as your holding the toxic orb but to be honest it looks like itll do more harm than good making one with rattled is a good option too but considering its immune to ghost and some bug and dark pokemon can hit hard like Scizor and Hydreigon it activating might not happen with its 75 DEF and 60 Sp.DEF.

best partners would be anyone who can use trick room making it move maybe faster than a Granbull with Quick Feet OR Rattled. Give him the iron ball and he'll most definately move first in trick room

Last edited:

Ilan

Yes.

Arbok takes physical and special hits much worse than Granbull. It also has 35 base attack less along with a useless STAB and terrible movepool.

What is Tauros going to do for support, Body Slam? It also has a far inferior movepool and less attack.

Terrible movepool. Besides its STAB that either hurts itself or runs Thunderbolt off weaker special attack. The rest of its movepool is basically limited to Superpower, Hidden Power and Elemental Fangs. Its only real support move is Thunder Wave.

Mightyena.. Takes hits worse, worse typing, worse movepool, worse attack etc.

Yeah, except it can't support anything. The only thing Tauros is good for is attacking (Sheer Force mixed is actually really good in OU)

Yeah ok I'll give you this, Miltank is overall better to use. Doesn't get Super Fang though.

Of course there is. What's your point? The POTW is supposed to list the best possible uses of a Pokemon. Quick Feet Granbull is literally useless because Ursaring is better in every area.. stats, same movepool etc. Bulky Super Fang Granbull however has niche uses that nothing else can do. Don't list garbage generic CB and Bulk Up sets like I'm sure Reno will do, focus on what little Granbull can do that other Pokemon can not.

Why do you feel like Pokemon need to be categorized? That makes no sense when all Pokemon are different. Thunder Wave / Super Fang / Heal Bell / Return Granbull is going to tear into pretty much anything that switches in on it. Nothing else in the game can run that movepool with intimidate. I would probably use Granbull over Miltank on NU stall due to the utility Intimidate and Super Fang grants.

Yeah, a Pokemon with 85 base attack who's movepool practically consists of Earthquake and Poison Jab is more offensively useful than a Pokemon with 35 more base attack and pretty much every important physical move in the game. Arbok is almost as bad as Audino.

Yeah, its weak to fighting. Switch out when they switch in, though by pumping Super Fangs into the fighters you will probably cause more damage than they do.

Stop categorizing things. Yeah of course there are better sweepers, Heal Bellers or whatever. But nothing can run Super Fang, Thunder Wave and intimidate in the same set while maintaining great offensive pressure.

If I needed something with physical bulk, Heal Bell, intimidate and Super Fang I would consider Granbull. This will never happen but saying Granbull is outclassed is pointless. It is what it is. If you need its niche, use it. When NU becomes a playable tier on Smogon I will probably use Granbull. Unlike every single Pokemon you listed it serves a very usable role on stall or bulky offense.

I see two somewhat usable sets in NU.

Granbull @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Super Fang
- Heal Bell
- Return

Takes physical hits better than Metagross and almost as well as defensive Groudon due to intimidate. Spam Thunder Wave to cripple offense or Super Fang to put heavy pressure on stall. Heal Bell supports your own team while Return hits hard off 276 attack uninvested (close to as powerful as Flygon's Earthquake).

Granbull @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Double-Edge / Return
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Best use of Granbull's offenses. Thunder Wave a switch in so you don't have to predict, and if you are forced out at least they are Paralyzed. Hit and run attacker that can do incredible damage to most Pokemon in NU. Double Edge hits harder than Lucario's Close Combat allowing it to 2HKO even the toughest of walls. Close Combat and Stone Edge round off the coverage hitting pretty much everything that survives Double Edge hard. Works kind of like Thunder Wave Groudon did in 4th gen ubers. Thunder Wave and wear down its counters early game then sweep, or allow a teammate to, late game.

This is where Reno ignores logic and just types up a Choice Band and Quick Feet set, then throws a bulky set in at the end as an afterthought.

Arbok get's coil at least so it can boost his defence a little... it gets EQ at least... anyway I was thinking of gunk shoot (like muk uses it) but with coil so it isn't that useless... just saying but he is still NU I would use it in NU too...

yeah but you are right he got a niche like every other pokemon those sets seem nice and unique and yeah it might work. :D just beware of those mixed sweepers and fighting pokemon (there are some in NU like) and he might work just hope reno will post those sets that aren't outclassed by other pokemons.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Granbull has terrible Speed, even with Max Speed and a Choice Scarf, it reaches 415 Speed, kinda bad for usual stuff that can setup, or even has their own Scarf. Thus, Quick Feet and Rattled are useless on him. I would say Granbull could work in some way in Trick Room. It has nice HP and great Attack, but that's all.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Brave, Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP/252 Atk/96 Def
- Return
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Pretty simple moveset: Return is for the STAB, Crunch covers Ghost-type, Close Combat and Ice Punch are for coverage.

Or, it could work as a cleric, and a status spreader.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Careful, Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/96 Def/160 SpD
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Roar
- Super Fang

Can do good damage with Super Fang, which halves HPs every time, while healing its team's status and spreading Poison to enemies. Sadly, it doesn't have any recovery moves.

Last edited:
Trick room sweeper

Granbull@choiceband
brave
intimidate
252att/252hp/4spd
Fire Fang
Outrage
Earthquake
Brick Break

Choice band boosts your attack to much higher levels Fire fang, outrage and Brick break for perfect neutral coverage. Earthquake for extra super effective hits

Provides perfect neutral coverage with acceptable speed and power but is still out classed by well almost everything

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
To use Granbull, you need to abuse all of his finer points while working around his downsides.

What does he have? Intimidate, 120 base attack, Heal Bell, Normal Typing. Low speed but in a Trick Room Team, it's an advantage.

Granbull@Choice Band
Brave - Intimidate
252 Atk - 252 HP - 4 Def
-Return
-Retaliate/Fire Punch
-Close Combat
-Crunch

Intimidate users have an easy time switching in and doing something, like Salamence back in Gen 4. Return is your main STAB, which deals insane damage from a Choice Band. Retaliate hurts even more when Revenge Killing, which you will commonly do in a Trick Room Team. Since you are on a timer, utilizing Destiny Bond and Explosion to deal quick KOs can make Retaliate effective, provided you have removed Ghosts. Even then, Ghosts will hate a properly predicted Crunch. Even max Def/HP Cofagrigus is 2HKO'd after Rocks. Close Combat is your strongest Fighting Move. The Defense drop may seem unappealing, but Intimidate remedies that for the turn. Fire Punch is an option if you don't have suicidal teammates.

Granbull@Leftovers
Relaxed - Intimidate
252 HP - 252 Def - 4 Atk
-Heal Bell
-Super Fang
-Return
-Crunch

A more defensive Granbull. This Granbull doesn't have to fear status as he can just ring them away with Heal Bell. The missing Attack stat is remedied with Super Fang, which softens up opponents for yourself or for your teammates. Return and Crunch are your offensive options. While a move to hit Steels harder would be preferable, Super Fang stills hits them which softens them up for a teammate. Crunch is just for Ghosts.

This set is also effective in Doubles, where Intimidate and Heal Bell can save suffering Trick Room users. Try it with a RestRoom (LOL) user.

Kraleck

In Singles, Gran' is horribly outclassed. Barring Trick Room, you have little chance. However, 3rd and 5th Gen gave us new options for it - Doubles and Triples (respectively).

In Multi (except Rotation) you can get so much more use out of Granbull. The prevalence of Earthquake, Rock Slide, and so many other Attack-based Moves makes Intimidate that much better.

Barring someone deeply in the know about Multi mechanics, Gran' can wreak a ton of havoc when other, more-threatening options arise. Why target Gran' in Doubles/Triples when Ferrothorn is a target...or Conkeldurr...or any number of typical Single Battle threats? Long story short, Gran' should be like the dog it is: Close to others that draw away attention.

Bringing Gran' to a serious one-on-one is like taking a Chihuahua to fight a lion - it's mean, but way outside of its weight class. In a group of targets, Gran's potential can burn like the sun. Drawing attention away from an ankle-biter like Granbull with an 800-pound gorilla like...well, anything more threatening in Singles...guarantees you'll lose a foot or two in Multi Battles...

MetalCrow

^So true it's not even funny...

Granbull's only true place is in Doubles and Triples where it can soften up opposition while inducing status and spamming Super Fang... Heal Bell is nice too...who would want to smack around a dog when you got the likes of everything else to worry about

Kraleck

^So true it's not even funny...

Granbull's only true place is in Doubles and Triples where it can soften up opposition while inducing status and spamming Super Fang... Heal Bell is nice too...who would want to smack around a dog when you got the likes of everything else to worry about

Much the same can be said of so many other Pokemon as well. The non-threats of Singles can wreak major havoc if left to run free in Doubles or Triples...

Soperman

The One and Only
;210; Ah, grandbull. I used to love this guy. I mean, come on, base 120 Attack is pretty good. Alas, that is the only good thing stat wise. It has a meager base 45 Speed and pretty poor Defenses. His Hp is ok at least.

Abilities
Intimidate: Lowers opponent's Attack by one level every time he switches in. Essentially, it makes him bulkier, which is nice.
Quick Feet: Boosts Speed by one level when he has a status condition. This ability lets him sweep without the Choice Scarf. Also, it lets him absorb any status except for Paralysis, and Burn halves his Attack as well.
Rattled: This ability is easily his worst. Raises Speed by one level whenever he is hit by a Dark, Bug, or Ghost type attack. Now, considering Ghost can't even touch him, and his poor Defenses can't take very many hits, I wouldn't suggest this ability.

Movesets

Not-So-Happy Feet
-Outrage/Crunch
-Return
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs and Nature: Jolly (+Spd,-Sp. Atk)
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
Well, this isnt his only usable set, but this is his only sweeping set. Quick Feet and Toxic Orb to actually outspeed something, and the attacks are basically anything with a base power of 100 or more. Edgequake coverage to hit practically everything, plus Return for STAB. Outrage kills Dragons, but Crunch hits Ghosts. EVs for maximum sweepage.

SubPunch, Grandbull Edition
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Return
-Crunch/Thunderpunch/Bulk Up
Items: Leftovers/Muscle Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
252 Hp/200 Atk/56 Def
This set is for Substitute, and then to make him bulky enough to survive a couple of hits. Leftovers to restore health, but Muscle Band boosts Attack. First two attacks are obvious. Return is powerful STAB, with a base power of about 160 with STAB. Crunch to hit Ghosts, but Thunderpunch to hit Flying types like Drifblim or Skarmory. Bulk Up to boost Defense and Attack.

Running with a Scarf
-Return
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Outrage
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Any of the three work
Evs and Nature: Joly (+Spd, -Sp. Atk)
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
Same as the Quick Feet set, but with Choice Scarf. I say any ability because, honestly, any ability could work. Intimidate to make him bulkier, Rattled so he takes advantage of being hit, or Quick Feet so he can absorb statuses. Up to you.

Double and Triple Options
He doesn't have much besides his Attack that would be good. In fact, he would probably disable a Doubles or Triples team. Unless, of course, it is a Trick Room team.

Partners
People who take out Fighting types. Actually, Beeheyem is an amazing partner: it beats Fighting types back, and it can use Trick Room to make Granbull useful. Ironically, Fighting types are good for Granbull as well. They help take out Steel types.

Countering Granbull
If you can outspeed it, you can kill it. Any Fighting type will destroy Granbull. Steelix walls Granbull to death. Ghost types can switch in to most of his attacks and retaliate.
Honestly, Granbull isn't that great. There's a reason it's in NU. ;210;

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Guys, its only an inferior Ursaring if you make it one. Granbull has Intimidate, which gives him about as much bulk as Groudon or Metagross. It also gets Super Fang, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave and a ton of offensive options to compliment it.

Ursaring is clearly better at raw offense but Granbull is by far better at defensive support.

I'm sorry, but don't even try comparing Granbull to Metagross, much less Groudon. It's simply not in the same league. If you want to make a bulky Granbull, you'll have to sacrifice attack stats while I can make a bulky Metagross capable of surviving Slakings Earthquakes with 405 attack. Metagross also has a way better type combination with loads of resistances, a higher attack stat, better speed, and with proper EV investments Metagross can come in Skarmory territory on physical bulk (apart from the EQ weakness and the lack of a recovery move).

As a supporter it simply isn't built like one. It has the moves, but not the stats. It's too slow to support effectively, and defensively too frail. If your foe switches after they got intimidated their new pokémon doesn't have the lowered attack, so your bulk is gone, while on pokémon with the stats (like Metagross) the bulk stays. If I want a supporting normal type, I could get Blissey, who also gets Heal Bell and Thunder Wave, but way more defensive power.

In physical vs physical battles it may have the Intimidate advantage over Ursaring, but it still is no match for heavier ones out there, like Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, and so on. It's just in an entirely different league, and super fang isn't going to make up for that. In the lower tiers a Choice Banded Mega Kick or Double Edge will usually hurt a lot more than Super Fang will, especially later in the battle. Super Fang is fun if you are defensive and lack offence, but for an offensive slow glass cannon like Granbull it simply doesn't work as it doesn't KO, thus allowing your foe to set up, or just outright kill you.

I'm sorry, but don't even try comparing Granbull to Metagross, much less Groudon. It's simply not in the same league. If you want to make a bulky Granbull, you'll have to sacrifice attack stats while I can make a bulky Metagross capable of surviving Slakings Earthquakes with 405 attack. Metagross also has a way better type combination with loads of resistances, a higher attack stat, better speed, and with proper EV investments Metagross can come in Skarmory territory on physical bulk (apart from the EQ weakness and the lack of a recovery move).

As I said, Intimidate gives Granbull better defenses than Metagross. I don't mean 0/0 Metagross, I mean 252/252 Impish Metagross. 80/130 is less than 90/137.. Granbull takes physical hits better.

As a supporter it simply isn't built like one. It has the moves, but not the stats. It's too slow to support effectively, and defensively too frail. If your foe switches after they got intimidated their new pokémon doesn't have the lowered attack, so your bulk is gone, while on pokémon with the stats (like Metagross) the bulk stays. If I want a supporting normal type, I could get Blissey, who also gets Heal Bell and Thunder Wave, but way more defensive power.

Yeah, but this isn't OU we're talking about. Granbull is trash, useless in OU. Skarmory, Metagross and Blissey can not be used in lower tiers. This page is about finding uses for Granbull in NU / RU.

In physical vs physical battles it may have the Intimidate advantage over Ursaring, but it still is no match for heavier ones out there, like Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, and so on. It's just in an entirely different league, and super fang isn't going to make up for that. In the lower tiers a Choice Banded Mega Kick or Double Edge will usually hurt a lot more than Super Fang will, especially later in the battle. Super Fang is fun if you are defensive and lack offence, but for an offensive slow glass cannon like Granbull it simply doesn't work as it doesn't KO, thus allowing your foe to set up, or just outright kill you.

In lower tiers offensive Granbull is outclassed by Ursaring, which leaves its only viable options a defensive set of some sort.

Vandslaux

Agreed, defensive is it's best bet. Actually, isn't 90/137 nearly rivaling Lugia's 102/130 defenses?

Kraleck

Agreed, defensive is it's best bet. Actually, isn't 90/137 nearly rivaling Lugia's 102/130 defenses?

Remember that Intimidate will reduce the opponent's total Attack by 1/3 if at Stage 0. Your Base Defense isn't raised, so you still have 75 Defense if the opponent gets around you leaving immediately.

Plus, you must remember Intimidate isn't a guarantee:
-Defiant and Contrary boost Attack 1 stage after Intimidate (technically, down 1 stage, then immediately up 2 stages for Defiant)
-Several Abilities prevent Attack (or any Stat) from being reduced (Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, White Smoke)
-Several setups don't rely on Attack-based Moves (Special Attackers, Status Chuckers, Walls)
-Critical Hits ignore Attack de-buffs - watch out for Storm Throw, High-Critical Ratio Moves, Super Luck Ability, Focus Energy users, and Sniper Ability.
-Seismic Toss and Counter ignore the user's Attack entirely (so does Mirror Coat, but it's unlikely to be used against Gran').
-Power Swap, Heart Swap, and Power Split can be used against you.
-Mist prevents Intimidate outright as well.
-Psych Up can clear a -1 Attack Stage and gain any useful buffs Gran' got from a Baton Pass. Haze is also an obvious cure for -1 Attack Stage and is also anti-Baton Pass.
-Switching out clears stat changes anyway. U-Turn and Volt Switch give health-chipping power to a switch as added gravy.
-Swords Dance is always an option as well.

Really, if Intimidate, great Attack, and great Trick-Room-Speed are all you have, you need more than Move options - you need proper support.

Remember that Intimidate will reduce the opponent's total Attack by 1/3 if at Stage 0. Your Base Defense isn't raised, so you still have 75 Defense if the opponent gets around you leaving immediately.

Yes but its effectively the same defense boost.

-1 Aerodactyl LO Stone Edge vs 252/252 Granbull: 27.6% - 32.8%
+0 Aerodactyl LO Stone Edge vs 252/252 137 base def Granbull: 27.6% - 32.8%

Plus, you must remember Intimidate isn't a guarantee:
-Defiant and Contrary boost Attack 1 stage after Intimidate (technically, down 1 stage, then immediately up 2 stages for Defiant)

Defiant is pretty much exclusive to Bisharp. Braviary will get it as a DW move eventually while the rest of its users suck (Farfetch'd, lol).

Contrary.. Serperior, Shuckle and Spinda. Serperior is by far the most powerful user with a mind blowing 75 base attack and its wonderful physical movepool consisting of Leaf Blade and Return. Spinda sucks and Shuckle.. come on lol.

-Several Abilities prevent Attack (or any Stat) from being reduced (Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, White Smoke)

True, but with the exception of Eviolite Gligar and Metagross in OU few things actually use those abilities, preferring an alternate ability.

-Several setups don't rely on Attack-based Moves (Special Attackers, Status Chuckers, Walls)

Well lol, don't switch your physical tank in on non physical moves.

-Critical Hits ignore Attack de-buffs - watch out for Storm Throw, High-Critical Ratio Moves, Super Luck Ability, Focus Energy users, and Sniper Ability.

Storm Throw and the ice version are largely unused. High critical hit ratio moves.. well, can't do much about that.

-Seismic Toss and Counter ignore the user's Attack entirely (so does Mirror Coat, but it's unlikely to be used against Gran').

Thus defense means nothing here.

-Power Swap, Heart Swap, and Power Split can be used against you.

Power Swap / Heart Swap is useless / only on Manaphy. Power Split is only seen on.. Shuckle?

-Mist prevents Intimidate outright as well.

Besides being one of the coolest moves on Pokemon Stadium Mist is outright useless. Why waste a turn protecting yourself from stat reductions when you can just switch. Also if the intimidate Poke switches in while you mist you end up at -1 attack anyway.

-Psych Up can clear a -1 Attack Stage and gain any useful buffs Gran' got from a Baton Pass. Haze is also an obvious cure for -1 Attack Stage and is also anti-Baton Pass.

Psych Up is useless. Haze is slightly usable but its not worth the turn just to shake off -1 attack from Granbull, lol.

-Switching out clears stat changes anyway. U-Turn and Volt Switch give health-chipping power to a switch as added gravy.

Yes but Granbull has forced its opponent out, and gained a free turn to do whatever it wants.. Super Fang, Heal Bell, Thunder Wave, attack etc.

-Swords Dance is always an option as well.

This is where intimidate is superior. If Granbull switches in on Absol or whatever as it Swords Dances and dies to a +1 hit then even though Granbull died it wasn't in vain.. the Swords Dancer is left at +1 instead of +2.

Really, if Intimidate, great Attack, and great Trick-Room-Speed are all you have, you need more than Move options - you need proper support.

Never, ever use Trick Room as a reason to use a Pokemon. Trick Room sucks. Granbull actually isn't too bad as an offensive Thunder Waver. He doesn't need team support, he IS team support.

Status
Not open for further replies.