• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Community POTW #46

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcyzhang

Escavelier.......... wow......... one of the strongest bug types in the world! with an amazing 135 attack and a 105 defence and sp defence.... but it's only drawback is it's moveset and it's speed. of course, it's ability isn't that good ether.
The nature should be adament ( or any other that lowers ether speed or sp attack but raises attack)
150 evs in hp
100 evs in attack (i mean.... only if you want to......... i personally don't care about evs)
i would choose shell armor: no critical hits...... not bad..... but not good ether....
a good moveset would be:
megahorn/x-sissor (depends if you want to go for accuarcy or power)
iron head
counter/flail
swords dance/iron defence ( depends if you want to be killer or a wall.......)
item: focus band or leftovers

THIS IS NOT SPAMMING i;m sorry if you think it is!

windsong

WEST SIDE
blue harvest is not sexy + specs escavelier is pro

I must say, I wholeheartedly support this specs escavelier set, and deem it one of if not the most viable set for Escavelier in the entire OU metagame, unlike the silly specially defensive and physical sets, which are either totally outclassed by Scizor (who is also significantly sexier) and the physically offensive Trick Room sets, which are also outclassed by Scizor, along with every other offensive mon that performs will in Trick Room. However, with Choice Specs, Escavelier truly has its chance to shine. Nothing outclasses it, and it is capable of abusing its downright massive base 60 Special Attack (which is comparable to that of other OU behemoths, such as Gyarados and Gliscor, as well as being significantly higher than the base SpA of its other main competitor for the role of a specs bug type; Heracross. **** Yanmega everybody hates it).

First off, here are some damage calculations against some top OU threats:

252 SpA Modest Specs Escavelier Bug Buzz vs...

0 HP / 0 SpDef Rash (-SpDef) Latios = 67.77% - 79.73%
0 HP / 0 SpDef Rash (-SpDef) Latias = 58.47% - 69.10%
0 HP / 0 SpDef Rash (-SpDef) Tyranitar (in Rain) = 64.52% - 76.25%
0 HP / 0 SpDef Rash (-SpDef) Celebi = 129.03% - 152.49% (OHKO!)
252 HP / 252 SpDef Calm (+SpDef) Celebi = 70.30% - 83.17%
0 HP / 0 SpDef Blue Harvest = 94.03% - 99.92%

As one can see, Specs Escavelier possesses tremendous power, always 2HKOing -SpDef nature Latios, Latias, and Tyranitar, and even OHKOing some Celebi with Bug Buzz! The failure to OHKO standard Blue Harvests is a bit of a downer, but thankfully, Stealth Rocks can be placed on many many many useful mons, so it's ok, since with Rocks, this Escavelier is OHKOing a huge portion of the metagame! Because of this, it definitely deserves a spot on basically any team, and synergizes extremely well with other strong special attackers who can break down walls for it, such as Taurus, who OHKOs most Gliscor with Ice Beam, and Ferroseed, who takes a fair amount of damage from Taurus Fire Blast!

As JF mentioned, this set sweeps incredibly well under Trick Room, but Escavelier is such a ****ing baller that it really doesn't need it. In fact, despite what I mentioned earlier about Specs Taurus opening holes for Escavelier to sweep, Escavelier really doesn't need any team support at all. For example, you could go into a battle with just specs Escavelier agianst all six of your opponent's mons, and likely come out victorious (although other Escavelier sets would be unable to pull off such a feat). Because of this, I really don't want to go into team support that much, since if you're using Specs Escavelier, you're using a mon so broken that it's only fair to play Escavelier against the world (kind of like a Scott Pilgrim remake).

Finally, counters. Its extremely hard to find a hard counter to Specs Escavelier, since nearly everything in the tier is OHKO'd or 2HKO'd by it. Even defensive behemoths such as Lucario and Infernape who resist your main STAB and are likely common switch ins take hefty damage from Focus Blast. In addition, with 6 consecutive SpDef drops with Focus Blast, this Escavelier can even beat down Blissey and Chansey, which is incredible for any special attacker!

tl;dr, Reno, when you put this set in the analysis, absolutely do not make it look like a gimmick, for it is significantly more viable than any other escavelier set out there.

shubarugo_by_flygonheart-d2yw726.png

Latias_

Passive voice
Not only that but Specs Escavalier is viable even in ubers! Bug buzz should 7hko standard defensive Lugia, while Lugia will hardly scratch it with ice beam! It can easily switch into choiced ice beams, draco meteors, or even a Mewtwo Psystrike! Ergo, always consider the utilisation of Choice specs Escavalier, as it is capable of producing massive holes in the opponent's team!

Just because its name is French doesn't mean it sucks at war

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

windsong

WEST SIDE
Ok stop with the specs Exca stuff before I ban all of you.

I agree specs Exca is TERRIBLE

However, specs Escavelier is just as viable as many of the sets that have been included in POTW as the main set (such as Belly Drum Clefable, Specs Tyranitar, etc).

PokeMaster366

So what's with all the trolling and cruel sarcasm about Specs Escargo? Doesn't the person who started it know that a Banded Escavalier does way better or did he just ignore the Serebii pokedex entry?

Kraleck

So what's with all the trolling and cruel sarcasm about Specs Escargo? Doesn't the person who started it know that a Banded Escavalier does way better or did he just ignore the Serebii pokedex entry?

Escav' may not have many Physical Move options, but with a Quiet Nature Mixed set in Rain, you have that many more options from your equally-small Special Movepool. Refusing to accept Mix-cavalier is like refusing to accept that a standard light switch has 2 positions.

Even Struggle Bug has its use, considering the prevalence of Special Fire-Type Moves over Physical ones. Lowering the Sp.Atk of a Special Attacker can help bear the brunt of an otherwise-deadly Flamethrower in some cases.

Slow and steady is Escav's shining moment. Sending Escav' in early with Trick Room and late after threats to it are gone are possible in the same battle. Despite most Hold Items seen here, a few others are viable options:
-Rocky Helmet is great for teaching Contact Move users a lesson...especially if they require Sturdy Ability or a Focus Sash to stay in the game.
-Zoom Lens can help with Accuracy issues on a limited, but respectable, number of Moves. Since you're slow already, few Pokemon will deny the use of this item. Megahorn and Screech's Accuracy will be boosted from 85% to 102%, making it less risky to use them, if you so choose.
-Using Red Card is risky, but allows you to "scout" while staying in. The opponent may also exploit this, hence the risk.
-Eject Button can help you auto-swap to a Fire-Move-user counter, as needed, but requires some setup. Trick Room can also help, getting your hits in then fleeing when things get iffy.

Ilan

Exca= Excadrill
so stop calling him exca!

if you want to use a base 60 special attack just use spinda he got released yesterday with contrary! he can use work up and calm mind to baton pass the boosts to other pokemons! isn't is geniously useless?

now seriously wanna use specs set just use volcarona or garvantula...

it got only 1-2 usable sets the others aren't that good even with rain dance hidden power water is really weak only from base 80 + in an attack stat it is usable in UU.

Gamefreak

I agree specs Exca is TERRIBLE

However, specs Escavelier is just as viable as many of the sets that have been included in POTW as the main set (such as Belly Drum Clefable, Specs Tyranitar, etc).

I think Specs Escavelier is an exaggeration. Sure the Clefable and Tyranitar set weren't that great, but Specs Escavelier is downright terrible.

sbktdreed

Veteran Trainer
Personal Moveset
Ability: Shell Armor
Item: Silverpowder/Occa Berry
X-scissor/Bug Buzz
Iron Head
Reversal/Focus Blast
Aerial Ace

Muscle/Choice Band (for anyone who has a problem with its Sp attack)
X-Scissor
Iron Head
Reversal
Faint Attack/Aerial Ace

Partner: Generally any pokemon that can be use against Fire-types, espically one's that know Drizzle or Rain Dance.
Bug-resistant pokemon that knows Trick Room like Spinda, Stantler (espically with Intimidate), Dusknoir, Chadelure, and Jellicent. There are others, but these are the most recommended.

Countering: Highly-defensive Fire-type Pokemon like Torkoal, Magcargo, or Heat Rotom.
Pokemon with abilities and/or items that does damage on contact like Rough Skin, Iron Barbs, Flame Body, Mummy, or Rocky Helmet.
Will-o-wisp and Counter can really do a number to the physical-focused pokemon.
Cofagrigus can be useful with Trick Room, Will-o-wisp, and Night Shade.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Escav' may not have many Physical Move options, but with a Quiet Nature Mixed set in Rain, you have that many more options from your equally-small Special Movepool. Refusing to accept Mix-cavalier is like refusing to accept that a standard light switch has 2 positions.
I disagree. Moves aren't all that matter for a mixed attacker, stats must be good in both offensive. I don't think 60 and 135 are as comparable as Salamence's 110 and 135.

Just think, how much damage would a special attack from it do anyway?

An unboosted X-scissor will do more damage then a +1 Bug Buzz. Now, to compare Megahorn and a +1 bug buzz...

....Or are you also trolling?
I must say, I wholeheartedly support this specs escavelier set, and deem it one of if not the most viable set for Escavelier in the entire OU metagame, unlike the silly specially defensive and physical sets, which are either totally outclassed by Scizor (who is also significantly sexier) and the physically offensive Trick Room sets, which are also outclassed by Scizor, along with every other offensive mon that performs will in Trick Room.
I know giving a serious response to this post seams stupid, but I'd like to say Volcarona outclasses it's bug type special sets(as that's nothing but Bug Buzz), and in the future, Genesect.

If it has any Niche, I guess it's just sheer power in Mega Horn. That's the only reason to use it over scizor at all.
He would be good in trick room team but outside of that, I dont think it has a chance really, I mean I know it has alot of resistances but it being slow with mediocore Hp, I just dont think it can last, but here is a Trick Room set to use....
Escavalier @ Occa Berry
Shell Armor
Brave
EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Attack/ 4 sdef
-X-Scissor
-Iron Head
-Swords Dance
-Reversal

With X-Scissor and Iron Head as Stabs and with a sword dance, it can deal alot of damage and reversal is just there to just screw an opponent and piss them off;D
Don't use Swords Dance in trick room. It waste a whole turn, SD is only for outside of TR.

And Megahorn over X-Scissor, with the little time you have to sweep, you'll want that power.

Last edited:

Kraleck

I disagree. Moves aren't all that matter for a mixed attacker, stats must be good in both offensive. I don't think 60 and 135 are as comparable as Salamence's 110 and 135.

Just think, how much damage would a special attack from it do anyway?

An unboosted X-scissor will do more damage then a +1 Bug Buzz. Now, to compare Megahorn and a +1 bug buzz...

....Or are you also trolling?

I'm dead serious, sir/madam, unlike some of the trolls here.

With proper support (i.e. Rain), you can do something with what little you have on Special against Fire Types. It can prevent them from walling you as solidly as you may think they should. It'll also mess with the opponent's head (mind games are as powerful as the team behind it).

However, without Rain support, Escav' should stick to Attack and brute force. Escav's Sp.Atk is only useful if you can make it so (unlikely with other weather available, but possible)...

I'm dead serious, sir/madam, unlike some of the trolls here.

With proper support (i.e. Rain), you can do something with what little you have on Special against Fire Types. It can prevent them from walling you as solidly as you may think they should. It'll also mess with the opponent's head (mind games are as powerful as the team behind it).

However, without Rain support, Escav' should stick to Attack and brute force. Escav's Sp.Atk is only useful if you can make it so (unlikely with other weather available, but possible)...

Dude...Specscavalier was just a joke. A really bad joke. No, running Escavalier in Rain with HP Water is not worth it to do hit a Fire type with a "sneak attack". For example, Escavalier in the rain with Modest 252 SpA will rarely 2HKO Volcarona with HP Water (if it doesn't set up QD) unless it runs LO or Specs, which is just terrible. Heck, CB Megahorn does more damage.

Zachmac

*megahorn hits* burned. what now? ;egg;
It's ability doesn't alway burn, but you're actually going to was precious EVs on special attack for an attack for Volcarona, which'll do less damage anyway.

Think about it. HP water is super effective and boosted by the rain, but yet it still does less damage then a resisted Megahorn. That's kind of useless, except on Heatran, but even it the rain, heatran's fire blast will still have 360 power after adding STAB, type matchup, and rain weakening it. I'm not going to do a calculation, but 360 power coming from 130 attack seems pretty bad.

And Charizard/Moltres? Sure, they both x4 resist Megahorn too, but how common are they in OU again? They're crippled by stealth rock anyway.

Oh, and most Volcarona would try to take advantage of it and use quiver dance, making HP water do even less damage.

Finally, if you are using it in the rain, why use HP water when you can just swap in a water type? Or are you actually using rain without one?

Edit: It looks like LoZ Skyward Sword is coming out in Sunday in North America...Kind of funny how the POTW will change to a warrior then.

Last edited:

Kraleck

It's ability doesn't alway burn, but you're actually going to was precious EVs on special attack for an attack for Volcarona, which'll do less damage anyway.

Think about it. HP water is super effective and boosted by the rain, but yet it still does less damage then a resisted Megahorn. That's kind of useless, except on Heatran, but even it the rain, heatran's fire blast will still have 360 power after adding STAB, type matchup, and rain weakening it. I'm not going to do a calculation, but 360 power coming from 130 attack seems pretty bad.

And Charizard/Moltres? Sure, they both x4 resist Megahorn too, but how common are they in OU again? They're crippled by stealth rock anyway.

Oh, and most Volcarona would try to take advantage of it and use quiver dance, making HP water do even less damage.

Finally, if you are using it in the rain, why use HP water when you can just swap in a water type? Or are you actually using rain without one?

Edit: It looks like LoZ Skyward Sword is coming out in Sunday in North America...Kind of funny how the POTW will change to a warrior then.

A few things could happen, though:
-Your Water Type is too weak to survive another hit (or worse, KO'd)
-You could be Burned by WoW or a damaging Fire-Type Move on a switch
-Pokemon with Intimidate could drop your Attack a few times and possibly carry Fire Type Moves (Arbok, Arcanine, Tauros, Mawile, Salamence, Staraptor*, Luxray, Stoutland)
-You face a high Defense-low Sp.Def Fire Type (Torkoal or Magcargo)
-You face a high Defense-low Sp.Def Pokemon that resists Bug Type Moves in-general (Aggron, Skarmory, Steelix, Golem, Gigalith)
-Cofagrigus enters hoping to screw you out of further Bug-Type Move boosts or Critical Hit blocking
-Counter and Metal Burst users could 1KO you from Megahorn use
-You could miss entirely (Megahorn's accuracy is 85% and you could be further hindered by Muddy Water, Mud Bomb, or a lucky enemy's Acupressure)

Protecting your Attack from hindrance is as important as KOing any Pokemon that can hinder it. Without your key offensive stat, you will have a ton of issues. Rain + HP (Water) is a safety net.

* Doesn't carry Fire Type Moves outside of a random Heat Wave, but it's very unlikely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.